It is 'World Fashion Day' on 21st August, hence the theme for our 'CST Friendship Group' this week was 'Fashion'. We asked members to come to the group wearing their favourite 60s, 70s or 80s items of clothing.
We started by asking, did members have a favourite fashion style or look, either now or in the past?
Was there a particular item of clothing that they really loved? Do they still have it?
What about hairstyles? What is the best, or worst, haircut or style you ever had?
Did anyone have any stories to tell about any fashion faux pas?
What was the most expensive item of clothing people had ever bought? Any regrets?
Did anyone ever have?
- A Toni perm
- A mullet haircut
- Hair down to their waste
- A skin head
- A Mohican
- A full beard
Next, we completed the following phrases about fashion ...
- All dressed up and no PLACE TO GO
- Dressed up to the NINES
- If the cap fits WEAR IT
- Keep it under your HAT
- Like it's going out of STYLE
- Put on your thinking CAP
- Ship shape and Bristol FASHION
- Smart CASUAL
- Wear the TROUSERS
- Wear your heart on your SLEEVE
- A feather in one's CAP
- A stitch in time saves NINE
- A wolf in sheep's CLOTHING
- Bee in your BONNET
- Belt and BRACES
- Best bib and TUCKER
- Black TIE
- Fancy PANTS
- Fashion VICTIM/ICON
- Goody two SHOES
- Handle with kid GLOVES
- Hat TRICK
- Hush PUPPIES
- Mutton dressed up as LAMB
- Power DRESSING
- Sloane RANGER
- Talk through one's HAT
- Throw your hat into the RING
- Too big for your BREECHES/BOOTS
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz. This included time and space for discussion, reminiscences and story telling. Song choices were for group singalongs, but members were asked also to choose alternative favourite tracks at the end.
ROUND 1. TV
1. What was the name of the TV sitcom about life in the Grace Brothers' clothing store?
Which two characters and actors are pictured here?
(Give first names as prompts, if needed.)
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6wvKUsP6M
2. What was the name of the TV sitcom about life in an advertising PR company?
Which two characters and actors are pictured?
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsTz6rcAPk
3. What was the name of the TV sitcom about a white collar worker disillusioned with his life who left his clothes on the beach and disappeared for a time?
Which actor is pictured above?
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4PGiJl2dQ
Bonus question. In the above TV show, who did this animal represent?
4. What was the name of the TV sitcom about 'Fenner Fashions' women's clothing outfit?
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL3VpilcY-o
5. 'Coronation Street' set includes an underwear factory called what?
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHt1Dk9fn8
6. Which Ricky Gervais sitcom had the song 'Handbags And Gladrags' performed by 'The Stereophonics' as its theme music?
TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llfUGKW4KI
7. Which children’s TV programme had a white collar man in a suit and bowler hat going into a fancy dress shop and having adventures based on the outfits he tried on?
Here is the 'Intro' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVFcIJWe0zE
Whilst watching, name the outfits/episodes?
8. SONG BREAK. ‘YMCA’, The Village People - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k
What six fancy dress costumes were they wearing in the video?
Ask members to do the arm movements during the song for a bonus point.
ROUND 2. Movies
9. In which 1969 film did Barbara Windsor ‘lose’ her bikini whilst doing stretch exercises?
(Barbara Windsor, who sadly died in 2020, was a champion for improved and fairer access to dementia care services.)
Which two actors are pictured above?
Here is the clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstCjvO7UOo
10. Thinking of the 1961 film 'Breakfast At Tiffany’s', what kind of store is Tiffany & Co in New York?
Here is the classic song 'Moon River' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirBWk-qd9A&t=5s
11. Which 1964 film sees Audrey Hepburn's character shout "Come on Dover, move your bloomin' arse!" at 'Ladies Day' at Ascot?
What was her name in the film?
Here is the song 'The Rain In Spain' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmADMB2utAo&t=115s
12. In which 1965 film did Julie Andrews’ character make play clothes for the Von Trapp children out of old drapes?
Here is the song 'Do Re Mi' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnBMAEA3AM
Who was Julie Andrew's co-star in this movie?
13. Which 1953 film had Marliyn Monroe sing 'Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend'?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfsnebJd-BI&t=173s
14. Which 1959 film saw Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon cross dressing as female band members on tour to escape The Mob?
Here is another Marilyn Monroe song from that movie, 'I Wanna Be Loved By You' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52dfzZUjiU4
15. Which 1997 film had Robert Carlyle and others get into the stripping business to earn a living?
Here is their last dance (language warning), 'You Can Leave Your Hat On' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70TBABOzKSk
16. SONG BREAK. 'You Sexy Thing', Hot Chocolate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohnDaKVwjs
What was the lead singer's name?
ROUND 3. Models & Fashionistas
17. What is Twiggy’s real name?
18. Burt Reynolds had the first ever male nude centrefold spread in 1972 in which magazine?
19. Sam Fox used to model topless for which page of 'The Sun'?
20. Which famous model married David Bowie?
21. Which fashion designer is one of The Fab Four’s daughters?
22. Who is this fashion designer, who brought new wave and punk into the mainstream?
23. Which artist, writer and broadcaster is known for his ceramic vases, tapestries and cross-dressing?
24. SONG BREAK. 'Fashion', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-z6u5hFgPk
Who was Bowie's flamboyant and androgynous alter ego of the 1970s?
ROUND 4. Old Clothes
25. Name the item of denim clothing?
Name the band?
Here is 'Come On Eileen' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q
26. Name the type of jumper?
Name some other types of jumper?
27. Name the clothing item?
Who is wearing them?
Here is her song 'Shout' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4ytWa28qA
28. Name this type of coat?
Who is wearing it?
Here is his song 'You Drive Me Crazy' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZH1ZqrRS0
29. Name these trousers?
Name the trio wearing them and the TV show?
30. Name the neckwear item?
Name the person wearing it?
31. Name the type of shoes?
Name the person wearing them?
32. Name the cloak being worn?
Name the person wearing it?
33. Name the coat?
Name the person wearing it?
34. Name this type of t-shirt fabric?
What gesture is the man making?
35. SONG. 'These Boots Are Made For Walking', Nancy Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww
Name as many different types of shoes/footwear as you can?
How many pairs of shoes was Imelda Marcos, First Lady of The Philippines from 1965-1986, said to own (nearest guess)?
ROUND 5. Styles & Bands
What bands were associated with these following styles and trends?
36. Which artists and bands were associated with Mods?
Which two motorcycles were associated with Mods?
37. Which artists and bands were associated with Glam Rock?
38. Which artists and bands were associated with the Hippie movement?
39. Which artists and bands were associated with Punk?
What was this haircut called?
40. Which artists and bands were associated with the New Romantics?
ROUND 6. Final Songs
41. SONG. 'Cosmic Dancer', T-Rex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcOnR03Tw4
Who was the lead singer of T-Rex?
This video contains scenes from the 2000 film 'Billy Elliot'. Who starred in that film?
42. SONG. 'Night Fever', The Bee Gees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op5FxEs1aR0
Who starred in the film 'Saturday Night Fever'?
43. SONG. 'Dedicated Follower Of Fashion', The Kinks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4luXLKqGYU
Name any of The Kinks UK number one singles?
44. SONG. 'San Fransisco', Scott McKenzie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U
Which area or district of San Fransisco is associated with the birth of 'The Hippie Movement'?
45. SONG. "Karma Chameleon', Culture Club - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw
Who was the lead singer with 'Culture Club'?
FINAL SONG. 'Forever In Blue Jeans', Neil Diamond - LYRIC VIDEO FOR A SINGALONG
AND I CAN'T MENTION NEIL DIAMOND WITHOUT PLAYING THIS SONG -
Time to get up and dance? Maybe dance in a circle so you can do 'Hands touching hands ...' together?
Who likes wearing fancy dress?
Have a box of hats and wigs for members to try on, just for fun ...
Ask members, if they wish, to do an impersonation which fits the wig or hat they are wearing ...
- Policeman's helmet. "Evening all!" (Dixon Of Dock Green)
- Fez. "Just like that!" (Tommy Cooper)
- Beret. "Oo, Betty!" (Frank Spencer)
- Pirate's hat. "Ahoy me hearties!" (Captain Hook)
- Cowboy hat. "Get off your horse and drink your milk!" (John Wayne)
- Blond wig. "Oh you are awful, but I do like you!" (Dick Emery)
- Flat cap. "I don't believe it!" (Victor Meldrew)
- Bowler. "Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!" (Laurel And Hardy)
- Army cap. "Don't panic, don't panic!" (Clive Dunn)
- Black page boy wig. "Hi de hi campers!" (Ruth Madoc)
Also have some capes and gowns to try on. And items such as sunglasses, false moustaches, cigarette holders etc.
And so on ... Be creative!
Our members have previously loved this activity and enjoyed swapping hats and wigs and trying out different looks.
Or you could have a go at making Tie Dye T-shirts. Here is a video link moon how to do it -
1. 'Are You Being Served'
Miss Brahms - Wendy Richard & Mrs Slocombe - Molly Sugden
2. 'Absolutely Fabulous'
Edina Monsoon - Jennifer Saunders & Patsy Stone - Joanna Lumley
3. 'The Rise And Fall Of Reginald Perrin'
4. 'The Rag Trade'
6. 'The Office'
7. 'Mr Benn'
Just 14 episodes were made, each lasting 15 minutes. The Characters that Mr Benn became in chronological order were red knight, hunter, clown, balloonist, wizard, spaceman, cook, caveman, zoo keeper, diver (frogman), cowboy, Aladdin, pirate and gladiator
8. Biker, Cop, Construction Worker, American Indian, Sailor & Cowboy
9. 'Carry On Camping'
Hattie Jacques & Kenneth Williams
11. 'My Fair Lady'
12. 'The Sound Of Music'
13. 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'
14. 'Some Like It Hot'
15. 'The Full Monty'
16. Errol Brown
17. Lesley Lawson nee Hornby
19. Page 3
21. Stella McCartney
22. Vivienne Westwood
23. Grayson Perry
24. Ziggy Stardust
'Dexies Midnight Runners'
26. Tank Top
Cardigan, Polo neck, Crew neck, Turtleneck, V neck, Cableknit, Arran etc
27. Hot Pants
28. Denim Jacket
'Charlie's Angels' - Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith & Farah Fawcett-Majors
33. Snorkel Parka
34. Tie Dye
35. Sandals, Crocs, High Heels, Platforms, Boat Shoes, Wellington Boots, Winkle Pickers, Cowboy Boots, Trainers, Ballet Shoes, Stilettos, Suede Shoes, Brogues, Espadrilles, Sneakers/Daps, Stockings, Socks, Slippers & Flip Flops
36. 'The Who', 'The Yardbirds', 'The Kinks' (There will be others)
37. 'T-Rex', David Bowie, Slade
38. 'Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young', 'Peter, Paul & Mary', 'The Mamas And Pappas'
39. 'The Sex Pistols', 'The Clash', Buzzcocks'
40. 'Duran Duran', 'Roxy Music', 'Spandau Ballet'
41. Marc Bolan
42. John Travolta
43. 'You Really Got Me' (1964), 'Tired Of Waiting For You' (1965) & 'Sunny Afternoon' (1966) - 'Waterloo Sunset' reached number 2 in 1967 & 'Lola' was number 2 in 1970.
44. Haight Ashbury
45. Boy George (O'Dowd)
Please use the 'Comments' section below to let me know what you thought of this and other CST activity pages.
What worked best? What didn't work? Any ideas for new content?