It is 'World Fashion Day' on 21st August, hence the theme for our virtual 'CST Friendship Group' this week was 'Fashion'. We asked members to come to the group wearing 60s, 70s or 80s items of clothing.
We started by asking, did members have a favourite fashion style or look, either now or in the past?
Was there a particular item of clothing that they really loved? Do they still have it?
Did anyone have any stories to tell about any fashion faux pas?
What was the most expensive item of clothing people had ever bought? Any regrets?
Did anyone ever have?
- A Toni perm
- A mullet haircut
- Hair down to their waste
- A skin head
- A full beard
Next, we completed the following phrases about fashion ...
- All dressed up and no PLACE TO GO
- Dressed up to the NINES
- If the cap fits WEAR IT
- Keep it under your HAT
- Like it's going out of STYLE
- Put on your thinking CAP
- Ship shape and Bristol FASHION
- Smart CASUAL
- Wear the TROUSERS
- Wear your heart on your SLEEVE
- A feather in one's CAP
- A stitch in time saves NINE
- A wolf in sheep's CLOTHING
- Bee in your BONNET
- Belt and BRACES
- Best bib and TUCKER
- Black TIE
- Fancy PANTS
- Fashion VICTIM/ICON
- Goody two SHOES
- Handle with kid GLOVES
- Hat TRICK
- Hush PUPPIES
- Mutton dressed as LAMB
- Power DRESSING
- Sloane RANGER
- Talk through one's HAT
- Throw your hat into the RING
- Too big for your BREECHES/BOOTS
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz. This included time and space for discussion, reminiscences and story telling. Song choices were for group singalongs, but members were asked also to choose alternative favourite tracks at the end.
ROUND 1. TV
1. What was the name of the TV sitcom about life in the Grace Brothers' clothing store?
Which two characters and actors are pictured here?
(Give first names as prompts, if needed.)
2. What was the name of the TV sitcom about life in an advertising PR company?
Which two characters and actors are pictured?
3. What was the name of the TV sitcom about a white collar worker disillusioned with his life who left his clothes on the beach and disappeared for a time?
Which actor is pictured above?
4. What was the name of the TV sitcom about Fenner Fashions women's clothing outfit?
5. 'Coronation Street' set includes an underwear factory called what?
6. Which Ricky Gervais sitcom had the song 'Handbags And Gladrags' performed by 'The Stereophonics' as its theme music?
7. Which children’s TV programme had a white collar man in a suit and bowler hat going into a fancy dress shop and having adventures based on the outfits he tried on?
Here is the 'Intro' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVFcIJWe0zE
8. SONG. ‘YMCA’, The Village People - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k
What six fancy dress costumes were they wearing in the video?
Ask members to do the arm movements during the song for a bonus point.
ROUND 2. Film
9. In which 1969 film did Barbara Windsor ‘lose’ her bikini whilst doing stretch exercises?
(Barbara Windsor is currently a champion for improved and fairer access to dementia care services.)
Which two actors are pictured above?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMt-JNLAX7s
10. Thinking of the 1961 film 'Breakfast At Tiffany’s', what kind of store is Tiffany & Co in New York?
11. Which 1964 film sees Audrey Hepburn's character shout "Come on Dover, move your bloomin' arse!" at 'Ladies Day' at Ascot?
What was her name in the film?
12. In which 1965 film did Julie Andrews’ character make play clothes for the Von Trapp children out of old drapes?
SONG. 'Do Re Mi', Julie Andrews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnBMAEA3AM
Who was Julie Andrew's co-star?
13. Which 1953 film had Marliyn Monroe sing 'Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend'?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLd8bfeWtI&t=7s
14. Which 1959 film saw Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon cross dressing as female band members on tour to escape The Mob?
15. Which 1997 film had Robert Carlyle and others get into the stripping business to earn a living?
16. SONG. 'You Sexy Thing', Hot Chocolate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohnDaKVwjs
What was the lead singer's name?
ROUND 3. Models & Fashionistas
17. What is Twiggy’s real name?
18. Burt Reynolds had the first ever male nude centrefold spread in 1972 in which magazine?
19. Sam Fox used to model topless for which page of 'The Sun'?
20. Which famous model married David Bowie?
21. Which fashion designer is one of The Fab Four’s daughters?
22. Who is this fashion designer, who brought new wave and punk into the mainstream?
23. Which artist, writer and broadcaster is known for his ceramic vases, tapestries and cross-dressing?
24. SONG. 'Fashion', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-z6u5hFgPk
Who was Bowie's flamboyant and androgynous alter ego of the 1970s?
ROUND 4. Old Clothes