This CST activities page celebrates 'World Circus Day', which is on 16th April each year. Essentially it is a reminiscence based music and picture quiz, based on the circuses which we may have visited in our childhoods. Just to note because of this animal circus performers are mentioned, though today the practice of training animals for the circus is thankfully a distant memory.
Ask members what circuses did they visit as children?
What was their favourite act?
What memories do they have about the noise, smell and images of the inside of the 'Big Top'?
Next ask members to complete these well known phrases together (by way of a shout out) ...
"I want to speak to the organ grinder, not the MONKEY!"
All the fun of the FAIR
"And now for something completely DIFFERENT!"
Balancing or juggling ACT
Tears of a CLOWN
Spit and SAWDUST
Crack the WHIP
Life is a juggling ACT
Keep all the plates SPINNING
First song ...
'The Man On The Flying Trapeze'
Anyone fancy a go? With or without a net?
Has anyone done anything as or more daring?
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Circus Acts
Name the circus act ...
10. SONG. 'Nellie The Elephant', Mandy Miller - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLKEn119WE&t=27s
Do Indian elephants have smaller or larger ears?
Round 2. Famous Performers
First names are provided ...
11. Charlie ...
12. Harry ...
13. Evil ...
14. Ray ... & Lord ...
15. Marcel ...
16. Penn & ...
17. David ...
18. Debbie ... & Paul ...
19. Ronald ...
20. SONG. 'Tears Off A Clown', Smokey Robinson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcd9N62nOLg
Which other song about crying (tears) did he have a hit with in 1975?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNS6D4hSQdA
VIDEO BREAK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5S_5RAWuaU
Round 3. TV & Movies
21. Name this 1941 Disney movie about a young circus elephant?
22. Who starred as the Circus Manager in the 1952 movie 'The Greatest Show On Earth'?
23. Which type of Circus featured on Michael Bentine's 'Potty Time'?
24. In which 1982 horror movie did the toy clown under the bed come to life?
25. What was the name of the clown horror character in the 1990 movie 'It'?
26. Name the members of TV's 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'?
- Eric ...
- John ...
- Michael ..
- Graham ...
- Terry ...
- Terry ...
27. Who starred as John Merrick a.k.a. 'The Elephant Man' in the 1980 movie?
28. Who played the part of 'The Joker' in the 1989 movie 'Batman' and the original 1970s TV series?
29. Who starred as P.T. Barnum in the 2017 movie 'The Greatest Showman'?
30. SONG. 'This Is Me', Keala Settle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw
Who starred in the stage show and 1986 movie 'Barnum' - see below?
VIDEO BREAK - 'Official UK Tour Trailer' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDovXbkfZlQ
Round 4. Master Of Disguise
Name these famous clowns ...
40. SONG. 'Send In The Clowns', Judy Collins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6KGuTr9TI
Which Joni Mitchell song did she have a hit with in 1967?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPoWpkBzmM
41. SONG. 'Cathy's Clown', The Everly Bros. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fkzaAEbQg
What was their first UK number one in 1958?
- 'All I Have To Do Is ...' - Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU3zdAgiX8
42. SONG. 'Fool On The Hill', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3VeVwTa-bk
Complete these other song titles from this album:
- 'Your Mother Should ...'
- 'Hello, ...'
- 'Penny ...'
- 'All You Need Is ...'
- 'I Am The ...'
- 'Strawberry Fields ...'
43. SONG. 'The Greatest Day', Take That - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHzMLGH1Rfs
Name the original members of 'Take That'?
- Gary ...
- Robbie ...
- Mark ...
- Howard ...
- Jason ...
For fans, here is their Greatest Hits 'Comic Relief Carpool Karaoke' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWmVN4dZZgE
44. 'Relight My Fire', That That ft. Lulu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkqqI-W1FE
True or False. This song was Lulu's only ever number one UK hit?
As this quiz has featured some elephants and Lulu, I had to include this hilarious 'Blue Peter' clip to finish ..
Have some fun with a parachute and some soft balls or balloons. The last few tracks could be used as music to sing along and move the parachute with.
Perhaps members could wear a red nose?
Or you could try:
- Juggling Balls
- Hula Hoop
- Spinning (plastic) Plates
- or Walking The Tightrope (a chalk line on the floor).
1. Trapeze artist
6. Lion Tamer
7. Fire Eater
8. Sword Swallower
9. Elephant Trainer
11. Charlie Chaplin
12. Harry Houdini
13. Evil Knievel
14. Ray Charles & Lord Snooty
15. Marcel Marceau
16. Penn & Teller
17. David Blaine
18. Debbie McGee & Paul Daniels
19. Ronald McDonald
20. 'Tracks Of My Tears'
22. Charlton Heston
23. Flea Circus
26. - Eric IDLE
- John CLEESE
- Michael PALIN
- Graham CHAPMAN
- Terry JONES
- Terry GILLIAM
27. John Hurt
28. Jack Nicholson & Cesar Romero
29. Hugh Jackman
30. Michael Crawford
31. Prince Harry
32. Morgan Freeman
33. George Clooney
34. Rowan Atkinson
35. Hugh Laurie
36. Dustin Hoffman
37. Leonardo Di Caprio
38. Donald Trump
39. Boris Johnson
40. 'Both Sides Now'
41. 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'
42. - 'Your Mother Should KNOW'
- 'Hello, GOODBYE'
- 'Penny LANE'
- 'All You Need Is LOVE'
- 'I Am The WALRUS'
- 'Strawberry Fields FOREVER'
43. - Gary BARLOW
- Robbie WILLIAMS
- Mark OWEN
- Howard DONALD
- Jason ORANGE