On ‘Global Running Day’ on 1st June ask about people’s interest and participation in sport.
Did they run in school or play sports?
Do they or did they jog or go the gym?
Do they watch the Olympics athletics or London Marathon?
Ask members to recognise these ten famous or memorable runners ...
1. Clue. 1936 Berlin Olympic Games.
2. Clue. 4 minute mile 1954.
3. Clue. 1980 Moscow Olympic Games (one won 800m gold, the other 1500m).
4. Clue. 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. Who tripped who?
5. Clue. Greatest sprinter of all time. What is his name and nickname?
6. Clue. 2004 Athens Olympic Games (won gold in 800m and 1500m)
7. Clue. 2004 Athens Paralympic Games. What was his nickname? (He killed his girlfriend on Valentine's Day 2013)
8. Clue. 2012 London Olympic Games (Heptathlon champion)
9. Clue. 2012 London Paralympic Games (100m gold)
10. Clue. Most successful long-distance Olympic runner. What was his gesture called?
And a couple of movies to identify ...
11. Name the 1976 thriller? And the actor? (If you need to go to the dentist, don't watch this film!)
12. Name the 1981 movie? Who wrote the music?
Here is a music clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-HfNE3EIo
13. Name the 1994 movie and the actor?
14. Name the 2007 movie? And the actor, who is an Alzheimer's Research UK advocate?
Now for some running songs ... Ask members to choose a couple to play ...
‘World Bicycle Day’ 🚲 3rd June
On ‘World Bicycle Day’ discuss cycling 🚴♀️
Who owned a Chopper as a child? Did anyone need stabilisers?
Has anyone cycled their way into adulthood and older age?
What equipment do you need these days?
What about the best cycle route?
Maybe find out if there is a local assisted cycling club (such as ‘Pedal Power’).
Ask members to recognise these ten famous or memorable cyclists or bikers ...
15. Clue. His most famous jump was in 1968, over the fountains at 'Caesar's Palace', Las Vegas.
16. Clue. His most famous jump was across the 'Devil's Leap' in Maldon, Essex, in 1979.
17. Clue. She won 11 gold Paralympic medals, the last in Athens 2004.
18. Clue. He won the 'Tour de France' seven consecutive times from 1999 to 2005, but was later stripped of his titles after a doping scandal.
19. Clue. Winner of four 'Tour de France' races (in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017) and two Olympic Bronze medals.
20. Clue. He won the 'Tour de France' in 12012 and won gold medals at four successive Olympic Games from 2004 to 2016. What is his nickname?
21. Clue. He has won a total of six gold medals at the 2008 and 2012 Paralympic Games, and has won the London Marathon on eight occasions. What is his nickname?
22. Clue. Married Olympic champions. She won four Olympic golds and he won seven, making him the most decorated British Olympian ever.
23. Clue. He is eleven-times a world champion and six-times an Olympic champion.
Some TV programmes ...
24. Clue. TV drama set in Yorkshire. What were their character names?
25. Clue. 'Two Fat Ladies'
26. Clue. 'Two Hairy Bikers'
27. Clue. 'Long Way Round'
28. Clue. TV detective series about a cycling priest. Name the actor?
And a couple of films ...
29. Clue. 1963 war movie about life as a POW. Name the actor?
30. Clue. 1969 movie about two outlaws on the run. Name the two lead actors?
Here’s a few songs for members to choose from ...
There are some good ‘exercise for seniors’ videos on YouTube, both seated and standing. Here’s one from Joe Wickes, 'The Body Coach' https://youtu.be/A2wp8Ipxn9s
Here are a couple of closing songs ...
1. Jesse Owens
2. Roger Bannister
3. Steve Ovett & Seb Coe
4. Zola Budd & Mary Decker
5. Usain Bolt / 'Lightning Bolt'
6. Dame Kelly Holmes
7. Oscar Pistorius / 'Bladerunner'
8. Jessica Ennis-Hill
9. Johnnie Peacock
10. Mo Farah / 'Mobot'
11. 'Marathon Man' / Dustin Hoffman
12. 'Chariots Of Fire' / Vangelis
13. 'Forrest Gump' / Tom Hanks
14. 'Run Fat Boy Run' / Simon Pegg
15. Evel Kneivel
16. Edie Kidd
17. Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson
18. Lance Armstrong
19. Chris Froome
20. Bradley Wiggins / 'The Modfather'
21. David Weir / 'The Weirwolf Of London'
22. Laura & Jason Kenny
23. Chris Hoy
24. 'Last Of The Summer Wine' / Compo, Cleggy & Foggy
25. Jennifer Paterson & Clarissa Dickson Wright
26. Dave Myers & Si King
27. Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman
28. 'Father Brown' / Mark Williams
29. 'The Great Escape' / Steve McQueen
30. 'Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid' / Paul Newman & Robert Redford