"The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book?" - Sir David Attenborough
This week's CST session focuses on the animal kingdom. This is because Wednesday 4th October is 'World Animal Day'.
Begin with welcome and introductions and ask members to say what their favourite animal is, which they have seen or would most like to see, which impresses them the most and so on.
Have members got an animal as a pet, or have they had one? What type of animal are/were they? What are/were their names? (Take care as the death of a beloved pet can represent a significant loss for people.)
Ask members to complete the following statements ...
- As cunning as a FOX
- As wise as an OWL
- As stubborn as a MULE
- As gentle as a LAMB
- As blind as a BAT
- As busy as a BEE
- As quiet as a MOUSE
- As proud as a PEACOCK
- As sick as a DOG
- As slippery as an EEL
- As strong as an OX
- As mad as a March HARE
- As busy as a BEAVER
- As graceful as a SWAN
- As brave as a LION
Ask members to complete these well known phrases, together ...
- Elephants never FORGET
- Birds of a feather flock TOGETHER
- A bird in the hand is worth TWO IN THE BUSH
- Ants in your PANTS
- The birds and the BEES
- Cat's got your TONGUE
- Chicken OUT
- Clam UP
- Copy CAT
- Dropping like FLIES
- Eager BEAVER
- Fishy BUSINESS
- Hold your HORSES
- Get the lion's SHARE
- In the dog HOUSE
- Kill two birds with ONE STONE
- Let the cat out of THE BAG
- A little bird TOLD ME
- Nest EGG
- Pig OUT
- Put the cat amongst THE PIGEONS
- Rat RACE
- Red HERRING
- See no EVIL, Hear no EVIL, Speak NO EVIL (THREE WISE MONKEYS)
- Straight from the HORSE'S MOUTH
- Take the bull by THE HORNS
- Until the cows COME HOME
- While the cat's away THE MICE WILL PLAY
Whys it this phrase special? - 'The quick brown fox jumps over the LAZY DOG?' - IT CONTAINS ALL THE LETTERS OF THE ALPHABET
Ask members to think about which animals are synonymous with particular countries, i.e. regarded as National Animals or Emblems.
- Australia - RED KANGAROO
- Canada - NORTH AMERICAN BEAVER
- China - GIANT PANDA
- France - COCKEREL
- India - ROYAL BENGAL TIGER & KING COBRA
- Japan - KOI CARP
- Mauritius - DODO (extinct)
- Mexico - GOLDEN EAGLE
- Nepal - COW
- New Zealand - KIWI
- Russia - EUROPEAN BROWN BEAR
- Scotland - SHETLAND PONY
- South Africa - SPRINGBOK
- Thailand - ELEPHANT
- United Arab Emirates - PEREGRINE FALCON
- United Kingdom - BRITISH BULLDOG, LION
- United States - BALD EAGLE, AMERICAN BISON
- Wales - RED KITE, RED DRAGON & SHEEP
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Help members enjoy these pictures, questions and music clips. Give lots of clues like first names to help members get the answers. Encourage story telling and reminiscences.
ROUND 1. Record breakers
1. The world's largest animal is what?
Who wrote 'Moby Dick' in 1851?
2. The world's tallest land animal is what?
How tall does a male one grow?
(They are HERBIVORES - Their long necks allow them to reach leaves, seeds, fruits, buds and branches high up in mimosa and acacia trees. They get most of their moisture from the vegetation they eat.)
3. The world's tallest dog, 'Zeus', was which breed?
How tall was he (when stood on his hind legs)?
4. The smelliest animal in the world is what?
How far can it spray?
(Does anyone remember 'Pepe Le Pew'?)
5. What is the largest domesticated cat?
How many lives do cats have?
6. What is the longest living land animal in the world?
What was the name of Charles Darwin's ship which sailed to these islands in 1835?
7. The world's biggest land animal is what?
Which have bigger ears, African or Indian?
8. SONG. 'Nellie The Elephant', Mandy Miller - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuvhz4SfCE
Show the following hilarious video clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66mUNV3rKY
Which children's TV show was this on?
ROUND 2. Danger
9. The most deadliest animal in the world is what? (Aside from Humans!)
What disease do they pass on?
10. The most poisonous animal in the world is what?
(They are NOT found in the UK, though 'Portuguese Man O' War' are sighted in UK waters, with increasing regularity.)
11. The biggest land predator is what?
Which hemisphere are they found in?
12. The only venomous snake in the UK is what?
(They rarely fatally bite humans, but are a frequent killer of dogs.)
Who banished snakes from Ireland, according to legend?
13. Alligators can live up to how many years?
Complete the phrase, "See you later alligator...
14. True or false. The colour red angers a bull?
What is the name of a Spanish bullfighter?
15. True or false. You are more likely to be killed by a popping champagne cork than a poisonous spider?
A fear of spiders is called what?
16. True or false. Hippos can run faster than humans?
The TV sitcom character who imagined his mother in law as a hippopotamus was who?
17. According to the old adage, how many feet are you from a rat at any one time?
Which actor was famous for saying "You dirty rat!"?
18. 'Ben', Michael Jackson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGEZ4S_SuY
What was the name of his chimp?
ROUND 3. Speed
19. The slowest swimming fish in the world is what?
True or false. They can change gender?
20. Which bird can run faster than a horse?
True or false. They bury their heads in the sand?
21. The fastest animal in the world is what?
How fast can it run?
22. The slowest animal in the world is what?
How fast can it move?
What are the 'Seven Deadly Sins'?
23. Hummingbirds beat their wings how many times a second?
Why are they care called 'Hummingbirds'?
24. How many times per second can a Woodpecker peck?
Can members make the 'Woody Woodpecker' call?
25. How fast can a kangaroo move?
What species are they?
26. 'I Am The Walrus', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tiPR7SCb2I
How old would John Lennon have been this month (October 2021)?
ROUND 4. Wierd and wonderful
27. What is the only mammal which can fly?
What horror character is associated with this creature?
28. Name this creature, which is a mammal that lays eggs?
29. Name this fish, which is amphibious (and can survive in and out of water)?
30. How far can a mole tunnel in one night?
Which group had a hit with 'I Am A Mole And I Live In A Hole'?
31. Name this creature, which can change colour to camouflage itself?
Which group had a hit with 'Karma, Karma .........'?)
32. True or false. A cockroach can survive a nuclear war?
33. What do you call the transformation from caterpillar to butterfly?
Name some UK butterflies?
34. What makes a flamingo pink?
Why do they stand on one leg?
35. What do koala bears eat exclusively?
36. What do pandas eat exclusively?
37. Chimp and human DNA is different by what percentage?
38. The oldest living human ever was how old? (Natabay Tinsiew, from Eritrea)
39. Which animals are the longest surviving on earth, i.e. they have been around for millions of years?
What is the lead bee in a hive called?
40. How many millions of years ago were dinosaurs made extinct?
Which dinosaur is this?
41. SONG. 'House Of The Rising Sun', The Animals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fy7opKu46c
Which Bible story has animals saved from floods in twos?
ROUND 5. TV & Film
42. Name the character and his chimp?
Can anyone do the yell?
43. Name the TV show?
Here is the theme song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7serkwcCklE
44. Name the TV show?
Here is the TV theme song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PqrTZsho0
45. Name the TV show?
Here is the theme song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZaUemS0gr4
46. Name the TV show? And the crossed-eyed lion?
Here is the theme song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CHUxn9kCo&t=35s