The theme for this year's 'World Environment Day' is 'Generation Restoration'.
Begin your CST session by asking members what their favourite weather is? Do 'Some Like It Hot' or would they prefer 'Ice Station Zebra'?
Is there a favourite environment which they enjoy spending time in? Do they prefer the mountains, woodland, rivers or the seaside?
Ask members to think of ways in which we can improve the environment. Examples might include:
- Collecting plastics off the beach
- Avoiding littering
- Eating less red meat
- Going vegetarian or vegan
- Reducing fossil fuel consumption
- Reducing the thermostat by a degree or two
- Getting an electric cars
- Reducing air miles
- Collecting rainwater.
Do members support #GenerationRestoration and the climate 'Extinction Rebellion' (peaceful protest)?
Did they previously support any organisation or campaign? (CND, Greenpeace, Amnesty International etc)
Name the above ecological warriors?
20 IDIOMS ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
A drop in the OCEAN
A ray of SUNSHINE
A voice (crying) in the WILDERNESS
Answer the call of NATURE
All at SEA
Beat around the BUSH
Can't see the wood for the TREES
Still waters run DEEP
It never rains but it POURS
Barking up the wrong TREE
No stone left UNTURNED
Make a mountain out of a MOLEHILL
Nature versus NURTURE
The grass is always greener on the other SIDE
Hold out an olive BRANCH
The world is your OYSTER
Down to EARTH
Does you the world of GOOD
On top of the WORLD
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Environments
1. How much of the oxygen we breathe comes from the Amazon rainforest (nearest guess)?
2. What is the largest hot desert in the world?
3. What makes the 'Great Barrier Reef'?
4. Do Polar Bears live in the North or South Pole? What about Penguins?
5. Which is the deepest ocean? The Atlantic or Pacific? How deep is it at its deepest (nearest guess)?
6. In a cave, which grows up, Stalactites or Stalagmites?
7. What is the longest river in the world?
8. What is the highest mountain in the world?
9. What is the only man made structure visible from space?
10. SONG. 'What A Wonderful World', Louis Armstrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrd_3VMC3c
Name the seven continents?
Round 2. Seasons
11. What are the flower emblems of the four UK nations?
12. What do you call the days in Spring and Autumn when the days and nights are equal length?
13. When is the longest day? How many hours of daylight are there?
14. What about the shortest day? When is it and how many hours of daylight are there?
15. What is the hottest temperature ever recorded (in Cambridge) in the UK?
16. What about the coldest day (in Braemar) in the UK?
17. What do you call trees that lose their leaves in the Autumn, or 'Fall'?
18. Who said, and in what year, that there was not going to be a hurricane in the UK?
19. What year was 'The Beast From The East'?
20. SONG. 'California Dreaming',The Mamas & The Papas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
How many sides or points do snowflakes always have?
Round 3. Animals
21. What is the biggest animal in the world? How long is it?
22. What is the biggest land animal? How much does it weigh?
23. What is the fastest animal in the world? How fast can it run?
24. What of these is the most deadly animal in Australia (in terms of causing human deaths)? (Multiple choice)
25. Which bird has the biggest wingspan in the world? How big (nearest guess)?
26. Which bird lays the biggest egg in the world? Equivalent to how many chickens eggs?
27. What is the tallest animal in the world? How tall is it?
28. Chimpanzee and Human DNA is what percentage alike (nearest guess)?
29. How old is the oldest woman in the world (she is South African)?
30. SONG. 'If I Could Talk To The Animals', Sammy Davis Jr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqUmwUxPDM
Who played the part of Dr Doolittle in the 1967 movie?
Here he is ...
Round 4. Movies
Name the movie and guess the decade?
40. SONG. 'Bright Eyes', Art Garfunkel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m88kgA7rGsU
Who wrote the 1972 book?
41. SONG. 'Perfect Day', Children In Need - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfddYDRIFGY
What were they drinking in the park?
Finish with a discussion about member's perfect days?
SINGALONG SONGS WITH LYRICS
Download a map of the world for members to look at and pinpoint places they have been, or would have liked to go.
Who has travelled the furthest? Decide as a group which is the most exotic location mentioned?
Zoom into landmarks members choose using the 'Google Earth' app.
Maybe make some Sangria with and for the group? Maybe drink it in a park?
Recipe - 2 oranges chopped, 2 pears or apples chopped, 2 lemons chopped and squeezed.
Add strawberries and cherries if available.
3 tbsp of caster sugar. 1 tsp cinnamon
A bottle of light red wine (non alcohol varieties are available)
100ml of brandy (if going for the alcohol version)
300mls of sparkling water or lemonade, depending how sweet you like it.
Stir and serve.
4. Polar Bears - North / Penguins - South
5. 'Challenger Deep' in the Pacific / 6.825 miles deep
6. Stalactites grow down from the ceiling of the cave, Stalagmites grow up
7. The River Nile - 4,132 miles long
8. Everest - 29,029 ft above sea level
9. Great Wall Of China
10. Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America & South America
11. Daffodil - Wales / Red Rose - England / Thistle - Scotland / Shamrock - Ireland
13. 21st June / 17 hours of daylight
14. 21st December / 7 hours 14 mins of daylight
15. 38.7C on 25th July 2019
16. -27.2C on 10th January 1982 & 30th December 1995
18. Michael Fish / 15th October 1987
19. December 27th 1979
21. Blue Whale (up to 98ft in length/ 180 tons)
22. African elephant (up to 7 tons)
23. Cheetah / 75mph
24. Horses, accounting for 77 deaths in 10 years (mostly falls)
25. Albatross / up to 11ft 10ins
26. Ostrich / 24
27. 18 feet
29. Johanna Mazibuko has reached the grand old age of 128 (record broken 15 May 2022)
30. Rex Harrison
31. 'King Kong', 1933
32. 'Tarzan The Ape Man', 1932
33. 'Born Free', 1966
34. 'The Jungle Book', 1967
35. 'Jaws', 1975
36. 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark', 1981
37. 'Free Willy', 1993
38. 'Jurassic Park', 1993
39. 'Castaway', 2000
40. Richard Adams