The theme for this year's 'World Environment Day' is 'Generation Restoration'.
Begin your CST session by asking members what their favourite weather is? Do 'Some Like It Hot' or would they prefer 'Ice Station Zebra'?
Is there a favourite environment which they enjoy spending time in? Do they prefer the mountains, woodland, rivers or the seaside?
Ask members to think of ways in which we can improve the environment. Examples might include:
- Collecting plastics off the beach
- Avoiding littering
- Eating less red meat
- Going vegetarian or vegan
- Reducing fossil fuel consumption
- Reducing the thermostat by a degree or two
- Getting an electric cars
- Reducing air miles
- Collecting rainwater.
Do members support #GenerationRestoration and the climate 'Extinction Rebellion' (peaceful protest)?
Did they previously support any organisation or campaign? (CND, Greenpeace, Amnesty International etc)
20 IDIOMS ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
A drop in the OCEAN
A ray of SUNSHINE
A voice (crying) in the WILDERNESS
Answer the call of NATURE
All at SEA
Beat around the BUSH
Can't see the wood for the TREES
Still waters run DEEP
It never rains but it POURS
Barking up the wrong TREE
No stone left UNTURNED
Make a mountain out of a MOLEHILL
Nature versus NURTURE
The grass is always greener on the other SIDE
Hold out an olive BRANCH
The world is your OYSTER
Down to EARTH
Does you the world of GOOD
On top of the WORLD
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Environments
1. How much of the oxygen we breathe comes from the Amazon rainforest?
2. What is the largest hot desert in the world?
3. What makes the 'Great Barrier Reef'?
4. Do Polar Bears live in the North or South Pole? What about Penguins?
5. Which is the deepest ocean? The Atlantic or Pacific? How deep is it at its deepest (nearest guess)?
6. Which grows up, Stalactites or Stalagmites?
7. What is the longest river in the world?
8. What is the highest mountain in the world?
9. SONG. 'What A Wonderful World', Louis Armstrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrd_3VMC3c
Name the seven continents?
Round 2. Seasons
10. What are the flower emblems of the four UK nations?
11. What do you call the days in Spring and Autumn when the days and nights are equal length?
12. When is the longest day? How many hours of daylight are there?
13. What is the hottest temperature ever recorded (in Cambridge) in the UK?
14. What do you call trees that lose their leaves in the Autumn, or 'Fall'?
15. Who said, and in what year, that there was not going to be a hurricane in the UK?
16. What year were there terrible floods across parts of Cardiff?
17. What year was 'The Beast From The East'?
18. SONG. 'California Dreaming',The Mamas & The Papas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
How many sides or points do snowflakes always have?
Round 3. Animals
19. What is the biggest animal in the world?
20. What is the biggest land animal?
21. What is the fastest animal in the world? How fast can it run?
22. What is the deadliest animal in Australia (in terms of causing human deaths)? (Multiple choice)
23. Which bird has the biggest wingspan in the world? How big (nearest guess)?
24. Which bird lays the biggest egg in the world? Equivalent to how many chickens eggs?
25. Chimpanzee and Human DNA is what percentage alike?
26. How old was the oldest woman in the world?
27. SONG. 'If I Could Talk To The Animals', Sammy Davis Jr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqUmwUxPDM
How tall is a Giraffe?
Round 4. Movies
Name the movie and guess the decade?
36. SONG. 'Perfect Day', Children In Need - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfddYDRIFGY
What were they drinking in the park?
Finish with a discussion about member's perfect days?
Download a map of the world for members to look at and pinpoint places they have been, or would have liked to go.
Who has travelled the furthest? Decide as a group which is the most exotic location mentioned?
Zoom into landmarks members choose using the 'Google Earth' app.
Maybe make some Sangria with and for the group?
Recipe - 2 oranges chopped, 2 pears or apples chopped, 2 lemons chopped and squeezed.
Add strawberries and cherries if available.
3 tbsp of caster sugar. 1 tsp cinnamon
A bottle of light red wine (non alcohol varieties are available)
100ml of brandy (if going for the alcohol version)
300mls of sparkling water or lemonade, depending how sweet you like it.
Stir and serve.