This music and picture quiz is an 'any time' filler.
Its aim is to engage members in reminiscence and story telling. Don't forget to make time for that!
As usual, simplify and reduce content as necessary.
Ask members to state their preferred mode of transport or favourite journey?
Some reminiscence questions:
- Are people more happy at home or on holiday? Who would describe themselves as an adventurer or explorer, as opposed to a home bird?
- Do people remember their first car? How much did it cost?
- Do people remember what it was like to take a steam train journey?
- Has anyone ever sailed on a paddle steamer or cruise ship? Would they recommend it?
- HaS everyone flown on an aeroplane? Did everybody enjoy that experience?
- What is the furthest people have travelled?
- Has anyone made any plans for future travel?
ROUND 1. CARS
1. Do people remember the 1968 movie 'The Love Bug'?
What type of car is this and what was its name in the film?
2. Who plays Mr Bean?
What type of car is this?
3. In the 1985 movie 'Back To The Future', who played Marty McFly?
What car took him into the future?
4. Did anyone have one of these James Bond dinky toys?
What type of car is this?
Name as many James Bond actors as you can?
5. Who broke the world land speed record in 1924 on Pendine Sands in West Wales?
How fast did he go (nearest guess)?
What was the name of the car?
6. What was the name of the car in 'Knightrider'?
Which actor played Michael Knight?
What type of car is this?
7. Who drove in this car?
Which city did they protect?
8. Name the car?
Name the TV sitcom?
9. Name the children's TV show?
What breed of dog was he?
10. Our first song is from the 1968 movie 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. YouTube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTzcXSLjhI
What was the name of the inventor and who played him?
Remember Maureen from 'Driving School'? Here's a clip - https://twitter.com/bbcwales/status/1428334179851378691?s=21
ROUND 2. TRAINS
11. Who wrote the 'Thomas The Tank Engine' books?
Have a guess at when the first one was published?
12. Which Agatha Christie thriller was set on a train?
Which detective did the story feature and who is playing him here?
13. The 'Flying Scotsman' gave its first service on the Edinburgh to London east coast line in which year?
What was its top operating speed (nearest guess)?
14. In which country does the 'Bullet Train' operate?
How fast can it travel (nearest guess)?
15. Who wrote the 'Ivor The Engine' books, first published in 1959?
Who drove the train?
What does 'M&LRTCL' stand for (a point for each right word)?
16. Who had or has a model railway?
Frank Hornby also invented which children's construction set?
Which pop star legend revealed this is his passion recently?
17. Name this train?
Which platform and station did it leave from in the books?
18. Name this 1970 movie?
Who starred as the railway station manager Albert Perks?
19. What was the name of the train in the 1950s TV series 'Casey Jones'?
Here's a link to the opening titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hps6L5vS0sc
20. Here is our next song proper. 'The Runaway Train', sung by Michael Holliday.
YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_IMEvr9ek
Name some UK steam railways - that YOU have travelled on ...
Ask if any members were train spotters?
What is the name of the book which contains all the numbers?
Here is local picture of 'Barry Train Graveyard'. Does anyone remember visiting it and climbing on the trains?
ROUND 3. BOATS
21. Whose ship was 'HMS Victory'?
What battle in 1805 did she play a key role in?
22. What was the name of Queen Elizabeth 11's ship?
When was it retired? Where does it rest now?
23. When the public were asked to vote on-line to name the 'RRS Sir David Attenborough' in 2018, what name did they give it?
What was it built for?
24. What was the name of the 1972 movie about a ship being capsized by a tidal wave during a New Year's party?
Who won a BAFTA for Best Actor in that movie?
25. What is the name of this pirate?
What was the name of his ship?
26. Who starred in the 2003 movie 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'?
What was his character's name?
27. Name the 2000 movie?
What is the name he gave to the volleyball?
28. Name the TV show?
Name the star of that show?
29. What was the name of the 'unearthly paradise' in the 1968 'The Beatles' film?
Who declared war?
Time for another singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uTFF_3MaA
30. Who directed the 1997 movie 'Titanic'?
Who played the parts of Jack Dawson and Rose Dewitt Bukater?
Who sang the film title song?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gK_2XdjOdY
(There was definitely room for him on that door! Discuss.)
ROUND 4. PLANES
31. What is the name of the USA President's plane?
And what aircraft is it?
32. What was the name of Howard Hughes's flying boat?
True or False. It only flew once, in 1947?
33. Who was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean in 1932? She disappeared aged 39 in 1937.
What did she name her yellow biplane?
34. Which two aircraft were said to have won the 'Battle of Britain' in 1940?
35. Who invented the 'Bouncing Bomb' used to devastating effect in the 'Dambuster' bombing raids in 1943?
Which plane pictured here delivered them?
36. How fast could 'Concorde' fly (nearest guess)?
How many passengers did it carry?
It first flew in 1969 and was retired in 2003.
37. What is the name of the biggest passenger aeroplane in the world?
How many passengers is it certified to carry (nearest guess)?
38. Name this display team?
How many planes fly in formation?
39. In the 2016 movie 'Sully', Chesley Sullenberger played by Tom Hanks safely landed his aeroplane on which river in New York?
True or False. There were zero fatalities.
40. Which Monty Python tried to recreate the journey undertaken in the 1956 movie?
41. The 1965 movie 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' was about a flying race from where to where?
Who is pictured in this still?
Here's the song from the movie for a singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs
1. VW Beetle
2. Rowan Atkinson
3. Michael J Fox
4. Aston Martin
Sean Connery (1962–1971, 1983), David Niven (1967), George Lazenby (1969), Roger Moore (1973–1985), Timothy Dalton (1987–1989), Pierce Brosnan (1995–2002) & Daniel Craig (2006–2020)
5. Sir Malcolm Campbell
7. 'Bat Mobile'
8. 'Robin Reliant'
'Only Fools And Horses'
9. 'Scooby Doo'
10. Caractacus Potts
Dick Van Dyke
11. Reverend Wilbert Awdry
12. 'Murder On The Orient Express'
Hercule Poirot / David Suchet
15. Oliver Postgate
'Jones The Steam'
'Merioneth And Llantisilly Railway Traction Company Ltd'
17. 'Hogwart's Express'
Platform 9 3/4 Kings Cross
18. 'The Railway Children'
19. 'Canonball Express'
20. There are loads. Here's a list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_heritage_and_private_railways
The name of the trainspotter's book was 'Locoshed'.
21. Horatio Nelson
'Battle Of Trafalgar'
22. Royal Yacht Britannia
23. 'Boaty Mc Boat Face'
Polar exploration and research
24. 'The Poseidon Adventure'
25. Captain Pugwash
'The Black Pig'
26. Johnny Depp
Captain Jack Sparrow
'The Blue Meanies'
30. Jack Dawson & Kate Winslet
31. 'Air Force One'
32. 'Spruce Goose'
33. Amelia Earheart
34. 'Spitfire' & 'Hurricane'
35. Barnes Wallace
Maximum of 128 passengers
38. 'The Red Arrows'
39. Hudson River
40. Michael Palin
41. London to Paris