Begin with introductions.
Ask members to state their preferred mode of transport or journey?
Some reminiscence questions:
- Are people more happy at home or on holiday? Who would describe themselves as an adventurer or explorer, as opposed to a home bird?
- Do people remember their first car? How much did it cost?
- Do people remember what it was like to take a steam train journey?
- Has anyone ever sailed on a paddle steamer or cruise ship? Would they recommend it?
- Have people flown on an aeroplane? Does everyone enjoy that experience?
- What is the furthest people have travelled?
- Has anyone made any plans for future travel?
1. Do people remember the 1968 movie 'The Love Bug'? What type of car is this and what was its name in the film?
2. Who plays Mr Bean? What type of car is this?
3. In the 1985 movie 'Back To The Future', who played Marty McFly? What car took him into the future?
4. Did anyone have one of these James Bond dinky toys? What type of car is this?
Name as many James Bond actors as you can?
5. Who broke the world land speed record in 1924 on Pendine Sands in West Wales? How fast did he go (nearest guess)? What was the name of the car?
6. What was the name of the car in 'Knightrider'? Which actor played Michael Knight? What type of car is this?
7. Our first song is from the 1968 movie 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. Which actor played the part of inventor Caractacus Potts? What was the name of the mountain sung about in that movie?
YouTube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTzcXSLjhI
8. Who wrote the 'Thomas The Tank Engine' books? Have a guess at when the first one was published?
9. Which actor played the Agatha Christie sleuth Hercule Poirot (in this photo)? What nationality was he?
10. The 'Flying Scotsman' gave its first service on the Edinburgh to London east coast line in which year? What was its top operating speed (nearest guess)?
11. In which country does the 'Bullet Train' operate? How fast can it travel (nearest guess)?
12. Who wrote the 'Ivor The Engine' books, first published in 1959? Who drove the train? What does 'M&LRTCL' stand for (a point for each right word)?
13. What was the name of the train in the 1950s TV series 'Casey Jones'?
Here's a link to the opening titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hps6L5vS0sc
14. Here is our next song proper. 'The Runaway Train', sung by Michael Holliday. Name some UK steam railways - that YOU have travelled on ...
YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_IMEvr9ek
Ask were any members train spotters? What is the name of the book which contains all the numbers? Here is local picture of 'Barry Train Graveyard'. Does anyone remember visiting it and climbing on the trains?
15. What was the name of Queen Elizabeth 11's ship? When was it retired? Where does it rest now?
16. When the public were asked to vote on-line to name the 'RRS Sir David Attenborough' in 2018, what name did they give it? What was it built for?
17. What was the name of the 1972 movie about a ship being capsized by a tidal wave during a New Year's party? Who won a BAFTA for Best Actor in that movie?
18. What is the name of this pirate? What was the name of his ship?
19. Who starred in the 2003 movie 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'? What was his character's name?
20. What was the name of the 'unearthly paradise' in the 1968 'The Beatles' film? Who declared war?
Time for another singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uTFF_3MaA
21. Who directed the 1997 movie 'Titanic'? Who played the parts of Jack Dawson and Rose Dewitt Bukater? Who sang the film title song?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gK_2XdjOdY
22. What is the name of the USA President's plane? And what aircraft is it?
23. What was the name of Howard Hughes's flying boat? True or False. It only flew once, in 1947?
24. Who is this person? She was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean in 1932. She disappeared aged 39 in 1937. She nicknamed her yellow biplane 'The Canary'.
25. How fast could 'Concorde' fly (nearest guess)? How many passengers did it carry? It first flew in 1969 and was retired in 2003.
26. What is the name of the biggest passenger aeroplane in the world? How many passengers is it certified to carry (nearest guess)?
27. In the 2016 movie 'Sully', Chesley Sullenberger played by Tom Hanks safely landed his aeroplane on which river in New York? True or False. There were zero fatalities.
28. The 1965 movie 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' was about a flying race from where to where? Who is pictured in this still?
Here's the song from the movie for a singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs
If anyone fancies carrying on the singalong, here are a few extra songs to finish with:
'Big Yellow Taxi', Joni Mitchell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2595abcvh2M
'Bicycle Built For Two', Nat King Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78MKBHR3NbU
'Three Wheels On My Wagon', The New Christy Minstrels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLhcg_FU9g
1. VW Beetle
2. Rowan Atkinson
3. Michael J Fox
4. Aston Martin
Sean Connery (1962–1971, 1983), David Niven (1967), George Lazenby (1969), Roger Moore (1973–1985), Timothy Dalton (1987–1989), Pierce Brosnan(1995–2002) & Daniel Craig(2006–2020)
5. Sir Malcolm Campbell
7. Dick Van Dyke
8. Reverend Wilbert Awdry
9. David Suchet
12. Oliver Postgate
'Jones The Steam'
'Merioneth And Llantisilly Railway Traction Company Ltd'
13. 'Canonball Express'
14. There are loads. Here's a list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_heritage_and_private_railways
The name of the trainspotter's book was 'Locoshed'.
15. Royal Yacht Britannia
16. 'Boaty Mc Boat Face'
Polar exploration and research
17. 'The Poseidon Adventure'
18. Captain Pugwash
'The Black Pig'
19. Johnny Depp
Captain Jack Sparrow
'The Blue Meanies'
21. Jack Dawson & Kate Winslet
22. 'Air Force One'
23. 'Spruce Goose'
24. Amelia Earheart
Maximum of 128 passengers
27. Hudson River
28. London to Paris