This week's virtual 'CST Friendship Group' had a theme of 'Cats', as 'International Day Of Cats' is on 8th August.
We asked members to come to the group with either their cat or other pet, or a photograph of them. We then discussed who is a 'cat person' or a 'dog person', or who indeed doesn't like either.
We discussed the good things about cats:
- Their affection
- Their purrs and miaows
- Their fluffy coats
- Their independence
- Being able to leave them for a time.
And the not so good things:
- Bringing in birds and mice
- Fur balls
- Um, scenting
- They are the boss!
Next, we completed these well known phrases about cats together:
- Fight Like Cat And DOG (Have a scrap)
- Raining Cats And DOGS (Hammering down)
- (Like) Herding CATS (Keep still!)
- (There’s) More Than One Way to Skin A CAT (Choose an alternative path)
- (To Put the) Cat Among(st) the PIGEONS (cause argument)
- A Cat Has Nine LIVES (old saying)
- Have a cat NAP (short afternoon sleep)
- A Scaredy-CAT (frightened)
- Not enough room to swing a CAT (small house)
- Cat got your TONGUE (shy)
- Cat On A Hot Tin ROOF (Tennessee Williams' play)
- Play Cat-and-MOUSE (chase)
- Cool for CATS (dude)
- Curiosity Killed The CAT (80s pop group)
- Fat Cat (banker)
- Cat's CRADLE (children's game with string)
- Cat BURGLAR (thief)
- Let the Cat Out of the BAG (tell a secret)
- Like The Cat That Got The CREAM (pleased with yourself)
- Look What the Cat Dragged IN (dishevelled appearance)
- Not A Cat In Hell’s CHANCE (the odds are low)
- Who’s She, the Cat’s MOTHER? (bossy)
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz.
Round 1. Name The Children's TV Cat
1. Name the cat and the policeman?
2. Name the cat and his owner?
3. Name the cat and the postman?
4. Name the cat?
5. Name the cat?
6. Name the cat and the bird? ('I Tawt I Taw A Puddy- Tat' song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aDWDUjlOY )
7. Name the cat and mouse?
8. SONG. 'Everybody Wants To Be A Cat', 'The Aristocats' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY
Name the two cats?
ROUND 2. Name The 'Real' Cat
9. Name the TV advert cat from 'Kattomeat'?
10. Name the 'Downing Street Cat'?
11. Name the 'Blue Peter Cat', and who is he pictured with here?
12. Name this cross-eyed lion, and the TV show?
13. Name this ancient cat / person goddess?
14. Name this comedian and his cat, who recently sadly died?
15. Name this singer, associated with the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical 'Cats'?
16. Name these two actors, who appeared in the 1958 film adaptation of Tennessee Williams' 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof'?
17. SONG. 'Born Free', Matt Monroe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWOrI0WaLs
Name this lioness and her rescuer?
ROUND 3. TV & Film
18. Name this actress and singer who played 'Cat Woman' in the third 'Batman' TV series?
(She had a hit single with 'Santa Baby'.)
19. Name this witch character and the name of the TV series?
20. Name this actress and the 1964 'Carry On' movie?
21. Name this character and actress, and the clothing store based TV comedy?
22. Name this character and the film series he is from?
23. Name this caretaker and his cat from the 'Harry Potter' movies?
24. Name the actor and the cat from the 2000 movie 'Meet The Parents'?
25. SONG. 'Goldfinger', Shirley Bassey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D1nK7q2i8I
Name this James Bond actor and both the female character and actor's name?
ROUND 4. Name The Cat In Literature
26. Name the lion from the C.S. Lewis 1950 book 'The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe'?
27. Name the cat from the Lewis Carroll 1865 story 'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland'?
28. Name this cat from the A.A. Milne 1921 story 'Winnie the Pooh'?
29. Name this character from the 1957 Dr Seuss book of the same name?
30. Name this character from the Rudyard Kipling 1894 book 'The Jungle Book'?
31. Name this character from the L. Frank Baum 1900 book 'The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz', and what was he looking for?
32. Name this 2012 movie, based on a 2001 Yann Martel book with the same name?
33. SONG. 'What's New Pussycat', Tom Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcRDLRvY8E
Complete these Tom Jones song titles:
'It's Not - .......'
'Green, Green - ..... .. ....'
'Help - ........'
'She's A - ....'
'Sex - ....'
ROUND 5. Bonus Round (If Time) 'A Mixed Bag Of Cats'
34. Name the cat and detective?
35. Name the cat and breakfast cereal?
36. Name the child safety advert cat?
37. Name the cartoon cat and dog?
38. Name the movie cat from the 1961 film 'Breakfast At Tiffany's'?
39. Name the lion and lion cub from the 1994 movie 'The Lion King'?
40. SONG. 'Circle Of Life', Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-ijQP0KxY
Whilst listening to the song, name as many cats as you can?
41. The final song is 'Year Of The Cat', by Al Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_MTXQALa0
Name the twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac?
42. EXTRA SONG. 'Midnight', Elaine Page - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5w7gHEtJI
Which book is the musical 'Cats' based on?
43. SONG. 'Cool For Cats', Squeeze - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ2cEc_TCH8
What do you call a baby cat?
And a family of baby cats?
1. Top Cat & Officer Dibble
2. Bagpuss & Emily
3. Postman Pat & Jess
6. Sylvester & Tweety Pie
7. Tom & Jerry
8. Thomas O'Malley & Duchess
11. Jason & Valerie Singleton
12. Clarence & 'Daktari'
13. 'The Great Sphinx'
14. Ricky Gervais & Ollie
15. Elaine Page
16. Paul Newman & Elizabeth Taylor
17. Elsa & Joy Adams
18. Eartha Kitt
19. Samantha & 'Bewitched'
20. Amanda Barie & 'Carry on Cleo'
21. Mrs Slocombe / Molly Sugden & 'Are You Bring Served?'
22. Dr. Evil / 'Austin Powers (The name of the cat is Mr Bigglesworth or Ted NudeGent)
23. Filch & Mrs Norris
24. Robert DeNiro & Jinx
25. Sean Connery & Pussy Galore played by Honor Blackman
27. The Cheshire Cat
29. 'The Cat In The Hat'
30. Shere Khan
31. The Cowardly Lion / Courage
32. 'Life Of Pi'
33. 'It's Not - UNUSUAL'
'Green, Green - GRASS OF HOME'
'Help - YOURSELF'
'She's A - LADY'
'Sex - BOMB'
34. 'The Pink Panther' & Inspector Clousseau
35. Tony the Tiger & Kelloggs Frosties ("They're Great!")
36. "Charlie Says"
37. 'Roobarb And Custard'
39. Mufasa & Simba
40. Main Coon
41. Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig. 2020 is a year of the Rat
42. T.S. Elliot's 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' (1939)
43. Kitten & Litter
SUGGESTED PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES
Have members make a 'Cat's Cradle', in pairs. Here an instructive 'How To' video -
Alternatively, have ago at making some 'Cute Origami Cats'. Here's another video -
Or this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUvfTWvVOqs
FYI, there are several more varieties available on YouTube!