"It's not how old you are. It's how you are old." - Jules Renard
You could also use this CST activities page for 'International Day Of Older Persons', which is on 1st October.
Focus on positive aspects of growing older during this session.
Ask members what are the good things about ageing. Answers could include:
- The freedom of retirement
- The independence of adult children
- The joy of grandchildren
- Possibly fewer financial commitments, e.g. mortgage
- Free bus travel
- Increased opportunities for socialising and holidays.
The negative aspects could include:
- Illnesses of older age
- Reduced mobility and independence
- Societal attitudes towards older age.
SHROVE TUESDAY IS ON 16TH FEBRUARY
Ask members if they like pancakes and if so what their favourite fillings are.
(This presents itself as a practical activity if at home with the appropriate ingredients!)
Here is an easy recipe - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-pancakes
Ask members to note what day comes after 'Shrove Tuesday'? - 'ASH WEDNESDAY'
What period in the Christian calendar does 'Ash Wednesday' symbolise the start of? - 'LENT'
Ask members if they plan to give anything up for 'Lent'? - ALCOHOL? CIGARETTES? CHOCOLATE? RED MEAT? SOMETHING ELSE
How many days later is 'Easter Sunday'? - 40 DAYS
CAROL KING 'TAPESTRY' ALBUM 50 YRS OLD THIS WEEK
Ask members who has this album in their collection? Ask if they can remember any songs from it? The tracklist was as follows:
"I Feel the Earth Move" – 3:00
"So Far Away" – 3:55
"It's Too Late" (lyrics by Toni Stern) – 3:54
"Home Again" – 2:29
"Beautiful" – 3:08
"Way Over Yonder" – 4:49
"You've Got a Friend" – 5:09
"Where You Lead" (King, Stern) – 3:20
"Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" (Gerry Goffin, King) – 4:13
"Smackwater Jack" (Goffin, King) – 3:42
"Tapestry" – 3:15
"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (Goffin, King, Jerry Wexler) – 3:59
Here is our first song, 'You've Got A Friend' - (link with lyrics) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJbzuyp6VY
Ask members who is their 'best friend'?
IDIOMS ABOUT AGEING
Ask members to complete the following phrases (as a group 'shout out'):
- Out of the mouths of BABES
- Smooth as a baby's BOTTOM
- Child's PLAY
- New kid on the BLOCK
- Knee high to a GRASSHOPPER
- Coming of AGE
- Act your age not your SHOESIZE
- Youth is wasted on the YOUNG
About older age (negative)
- Past your PRIME
- He’s no spring CHICKEN
- Over the HILL
- Mutton dressed as LAMB
- One foot in the GRAVE
- You can’t teach an old dog NEW TRICKS
- Age before BEAUTY
About older age (positive)
- Older and WISER
- I wasn’t born YESTERDAY
- Don't teach your grandmother to suck EGGS
- Ripe old AGE
- Young at HEART
- Respect your ELDERS
- Silver SURFER
- Ageing like a fine WINE
- You're only as old as you FEEL
'THEN AND NOW' MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
The idea for this picture quiz comes from an artist called Ard Gelinck (@ardgelinck), who has woven together images of celebrities as younger and older people (see some of the below).
Ask members to identify each person in turn. A clue is provided for each picture. If members get stuck give first names.
As you work through the pictures, ask members to comment on who has aged well (or not so well), who might have had cosmetic surgery to keep their youthful looks and note who has sadly died.
1. CLUE. He sang a Christmas song called 'Walking in The Air'.
What was the name of that 1982 animated movie?
2. CLUE. He starred in a 1977 movie called 'Saturday Night Fever'.
Aside from being a great actor and dancer, what other enhanced skill does he have?
3. CLUE. He starred in a 1990 movie called 'Pretty Woman'.
Who was his co-star in this movie?
4. CLUE. He starred in a 1971 movie called 'Dirty Harry'.
What was the song that a psychotic stalker fan wanted him to play on his DJ radio show in the 1971 movie 'Play ***** For Me'?
5. CLUE. He starred in a 1988 movie about a boy who grew up too soon, called 'Big'.
What caused him to age rapidly in this movie?
6. CLUE. He starred in a TV sitcom called 'Friends'.
Which character did he play?
7. CLUE. He starred in a 1976 movie called 'Rocky'.
What was his surname in this movie?
8. CLUE. He starred in a 1999 movie called 'The Matrix'.
Which 1994 movie did he star in with Sandra Bullock, where he had to drive a bus at below 50mph?
9. CLUE. He starred in a 1993 movie called 'Mrs Doubtfire'.
What was the name of the TV sitcom he starred in which he wore these rainbow braces?
10. CLUE. He starred in a 1977 movie called 'Star Wars'.
What role did he play?
SONG. 'Big Yellow Taxi', **** ******* - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2595abcvh2M
11. CLUE. She starred in a 1990s TV drama called 'Prime Suspect'.
She won a 'Best Actress Oscar' for which royal themed 2007 movie?
12. CLUE. He starred in a 1976 movie called 'Taxi Driver'.
Which girl group had a 1984 hit single with this actor's name in the title?
13. CLUE. She starred in a 1990s TV sitcom called 'As Time Goes By'.
Which character did she play in the 2012 James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?
14. CLUE. He starred in a 1970s TV sitcom called 'Happy Days'.
What was the name of the family that befriended him?
15. CLUE. He starred in a 1985 movie called 'Back To The Future'.
What car was driven 'Back To The Future'?
16. CLUE. He starred in a 1999 movie called 'Sixth Sense'.
Who co-starred with him in this movie?
17. CLUE. He starred in a 1990 movie called 'Home Alone'.
What was his character's name in this movie?
18. CLUE. He starred in a 2000 movie called 'Gladiator'.
Which co-star died during the making of this movie?
19. CLUE. She starred in a 1969 movie called 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie'.
How old is she?
20. CLUE. He sang a 1967 song called 'When I'm Sixty-Four'.
Complete the album title which this song featured on - 'Sergeant ******* ****** ****** **** ****'.
SONG. Here it is - 'When I'm Sixty-Four', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgbWmaxu5s
21. CLUE. He wrote and starred in the 1990s TV sitcom 'The Office'.
Complete the titles of his other hit TV comedy shows?
- 'An Idiot ******'
- 'Life's Too *****'
- 'After ****'
22. CLUE. He featured in 'The Lord Of The Rings' movie series, playing a 2,000 year old wizard named 'Gandalf'.
Who wrote the books?
23. CLUE. He starred in a 1973 movie called 'The Way We Were'.
Who co-starred in that movie with him?
24. CLUE. He starred in a 2008 movie about a man ageing in reverse called 'The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button'.
Which two actresses did he marry?
25. CLUE. He starred in the 'Harry Potter' movie series.
What was the name of the school?
26. CLUE. He starred in the 1991 movie 'The Silence Of The Lambs'.
In that film, what did he drink with liver and lava beans?
27. CLUE. He was the 44th President Of The United States Of America.
What is his wife's name?
28. CLUE. He had a 1996 hit album named 'Older'.
What was his previous pop group called?
29. CLUE. His group had a 1979 hit single with 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
Who were his fellow 'Queen' band members?
30. CLUE. He had the best selling album of all time in 1983 called 'Thriller'.
What was the name of his ranch, which was named after the island which Peter Pan (the boy who never grew up) came from?
SONG. 'One Day In Your Life', Michael Jackson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfktVRxye-Q
For extra fun, ask members to choose the value of these items which appeared on 'Antiques Roadshow'. Some were huge disappointments, others were some of the most valuable pieces which have featured on the programme.
PS One of these is the most valuable item which has ever featured on the show. One of them was a huge disappointment to its owner.
1. 'Faberge Flower'
B £1,000,000 .
2. 1937 Martin Brothers 'Blue Bird'
A £8,000 .
3. Silver 'Bull's Head Stirrup Cups'.
A £150,000 .
4. 1847 Jardiniere by Christofle
B £560,000 .
5. 'Van Dyck Painting'
A. £400,000 .
6. 'Gold Leica Luxas Camera'
B £320,000 .
7. 'Mobile Lovers' by Banksy
A £403,000 .
8. '18th Century Dolls House'
A £150,000 .
9. 1920s 'Art Deco Bracelet'
B £150,000 .
10. JFK's Leather Jacket
B £300,000 .
Ask members to guess at the most valuable item featured.
... And the one which was a fake (date stamped several years after the maker died).
To finish this activity, play these clips. The first is from 'Only Fools And Horses', about the auction of a pocket watch which led them to become millionaires - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIIkQO95z4&t=1s
The second is from 'Steptoe And Son', the TV sitcom about a father and son rag and bone 'recycling' business. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgX1cPfethA
What was Harold's catchphrase?
What did Del Boy call Rodney?
Have members choose one or two songs to play from this list.
'Young At Heart', Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlz3EuuhWo
'Wouldn't It Be Nice', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4sxxoJGkA
'My Generation', The Who - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc
'Young At Heart', The Bluebells - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7n53nIBb3g
'Turn, Turn, Turn', The Byrds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP4cfU28vM
'A Day In The Life', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM
Find your most valued possession inside or outside of the house. If you live with a partner, friend or relative have them do the same (separately). Bring both items together (or take each other to them if they’re too big) and tell each other why you chose them and what they mean to you.
Go though your photo albums and find one or two photos that you really like, either of yourself or a partner, friend or relative or a special place that you love or loved. Maybe start off with a photo from childhood or an old passport photo.
With both of the above ideas, you could start off a ‘Memory Album’ (either on your phone or computer or a ‘hard copy’), taking photos of your favourite items or photographs and noting down what they mean to you.