"It's not how old you are. It's how you are old." - Jules Renard
Focus on positive aspects of growing older during this session.
Ask members what are the good things about ageing. Answers could include:
- The freedom of retirement
- The independence of adult children
- The joy of grandchildren
- Possibly fewer financial commitments, e.g. mortgage
- Free bus travel
- Increased opportunities for socialising and holidays.
The negative aspects could include:
- Illnesses of older age
- Reduced mobility and independence
- Societal attitudes towards older age.
IDIOMS ABOUT AGEING
Ask members to complete the following phrases (as a group 'shout out'):
- Out of the mouths of BABES
- Smooth as a baby's BOTTOM
- Child's PLAY
- New kid on the BLOCK
- Knee high to a GRASSHOPPER
- Coming of AGE
- Act your age not your SHOESIZE
- Youth is wasted on the YOUNG
About older age (negative)
- Past your PRIME
- He’s no spring CHICKEN
- Over the HILL
- Mutton dressed as LAMB
- One foot in the GRAVE (Victor Meldrew)
- You can’t teach an old dog NEW TRICKS
- Age before BEAUTY
About older age (positive)
- Older and WISER
- I wasn’t born YESTERDAY
- Don't teach your grandmother to suck EGGS
- Ripe old AGE
- Young at HEART
- Respect your ELDERS
- Silver SURFER
- Ageing like a fine WINE
- You're only as old as you FEEL
'THEN AND NOW' MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
The idea for this picture quiz comes from an artist called Ard Gelinck (@ardgelinck), who has woven together images of celebrities as younger and older people (some feature below).
Ask members to identify each person in turn. A clue is provided for each picture. If members get stuck give first names.
As you work through the pictures, ask members to comment on who has aged well (or not so well), who might have had cosmetic surgery to keep their youthful looks and note who has sadly died.
1. CLUE. He sang a Christmas song called 'Walking in The Air'.
What was the name of that 1982 animated movie?
2. CLUE. He starred in a 1977 movie called 'Saturday Night Fever'.
Aside from being a great actor and dancer, what other enhanced skill does he have?
3. CLUE. He starred in a 1990 movie called 'Pretty Woman'.
Who was his co-star in this movie?
4. CLUE. He starred in a 1971 movie called 'Dirty Harry'.
What was the song that a psychotic stalker fan wanted him to play on his DJ radio show in the 1971 movie 'Play ***** For Me'?
5. CLUE. He starred in a 1988 movie about a boy who grew up too soon, called 'Big'.
What caused him to age rapidly in this movie?
6. CLUE. He starred in a TV sitcom called 'Friends'.
Which character did he play?
7. CLUE. He starred in a 1976 movie called 'Rocky'.
What was his surname in this movie?
8. CLUE. He starred in a 1999 movie called 'The Matrix'.
Which 1994 movie did he star in with Sandra Bullock, where he had to drive a bus at below 50mph?
9. CLUE. He starred in a 1993 movie called 'Mrs Doubtfire'.
What was the name of the TV sitcom he starred in which he wore these rainbow braces?
10. CLUE. He starred in a 1977 movie called 'Star Wars'.
What role did he play?
SONG. 'Big Yellow Taxi', **** ******* - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2595abcvh2M
11. CLUE. She starred in a 1990s TV drama called 'Prime Suspect'.
She won a 'Best Actress Oscar' for which royal themed 2007 movie?
12. CLUE. He starred in a 1976 movie called 'Taxi Driver'.
Which girl group had a 1984 hit single with this actor's name in the title?
13. CLUE. She starred in a 1990s TV sitcom called 'As Time Goes By'.
Which character did she play in the 2012 James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?
14. CLUE. He starred in a 1970s TV sitcom called 'Happy Days'.
What was the name of the family that befriended him?
15. CLUE. He starred in a 1985 movie called 'Back To The Future'.
What car was driven 'Back To The Future'?
16. CLUE. He starred in a 1999 movie called 'Sixth Sense'.
Who co-starred with him in this movie?
17. CLUE. He starred in a 1990 movie called 'Home Alone'.
What was his character's name in this movie?
18. CLUE. He starred in a 2000 movie called 'Gladiator'.
Which co-star died during the making of this movie?
19. CLUE. She starred in a 1969 movie called 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie'.
How old is she?
20. CLUE. He sang a 1967 song called 'When I'm Sixty-Four'.
Complete the album title which this song featured on - 'Sergeant ******* ****** ****** **** ****'.
SONG. Here it is - 'When I'm Sixty-Four', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgbWmaxu5s
21. CLUE. He wrote and starred in the 1990s TV sitcom 'The Office'.
In the first photo, what fashion/pop culture was he following?
22. CLUE. He featured in 'The Lord Of The Rings' movie series, playing a 2,000 year old wizard named 'Gandalf'.
Who wrote the books?
23. CLUE. He starred in a 1973 movie called 'The Way We Were'.
Who co-starred in that movie with him?
24. CLUE. He starred in a 2008 movie about a man ageing in reverse called 'The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button'.
Which two actresses did he marry?
25. CLUE. He starred in the 'Harry Potter' movie series.
What was the name of the school?
26. CLUE. He starred in the 1991 movie 'The Silence Of The Lambs'.
In that film, what did he drink with liver and lava beans?
27. CLUE. He was the 44th President Of The United States Of America.
Where was he born?
28. CLUE. He had a 1996 hit album named 'Older'.
What was his previous pop group called?
29. CLUE. His group had a 1979 hit single with 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
Who were his fellow 'Queen' band members?
30. CLUE. He had the best selling album of all time in 1983 called 'Thriller'.
What was the name of his ranch, which was named after the island which Peter Pan (the boy who never grew up) came from?
SONG. 'One Day In Your Life', Michael Jackson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfktVRxye-Q
For extra fun, ask members to choose the value of these items which appeared on 'Antiques Roadshow'. Some were huge disappointments, others were some of the most valuable pieces which have featured on the programme.
PS One of these is the most valuable item which has ever featured on the show. One of them was a huge disappointment to its owner.
Here is the TV intro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuuG7Dgv2c
1. 'Faberge Flower'
2. 1937 Martin Brothers 'Blue Bird'
3. Silver 'Bull's Head Stirrup Cups'.
4. 1847 Jardiniere by Christofle
5. 'Van Dyck Painting'
6. 'Gold Leica Luxas Camera'
7. 'Mobile Lovers' by Banksy
8. '18th Century Dolls House'
9. 1920s 'Art Deco Bracelet'
10. JFK's Leather Jacket
Ask members to guess at the most valuable item featured.