Here's a new CST activities page, to celebrate the colours black and white.
Introductory discussion questions could include:
- What are member's favourite colours and why?
- Think of things that are 'White' - snow, fog, rabbit, daisy, lily, toilet paper
- Think of things that are 'Black' - nighttime, sunglasses, grapes, olives, crow
- Who likes wearing 'Black Tie'? What does it entail? For what occasions might you wear it?
- What about wearing white? Think about wedding days and dresses (take care with this one!)
You could also ask members to bring along a black & white photograph which is meaningful to them and then show it to the group explaining why.
Baa baa black SHEEP
Black sheep of the FAMILY
Be in someone’s black BOOKS
Beaten black and BLUE
Black GOLD (Guinness)
On the black MARKET (knock off goods)
As black as the ace of SPADES
Get something down in black and WHITE
Pot calling the kettle BLACK
Black DOG (depression)
I bet he drinks Carling Black LABEL
Black Lives MATTER
As white as a SHEET / GHOST
A white ELEPHANT (useless)
Wave the white FLAG
Men in white COATS
Pearly WHITES (teeth)
Little white LIE (untruth)
White HOUSE (where the US President lives)
White knuckle RIDE (fairground)
White water RAFTING
White van MAN
Mary had a little LAMB
Ride a cock horse to Banbury CROSS
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Doc, Bashful, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy & Dopey)
The Milky Bars Are On ME (white chocolate)
50 Shades Of GREY
Greyhound BUS (US transport)
Silver FOX (handsome middle aged man)
The Picture Of Dorian GRAY (Oscar Wilde)
Say this together ...
Ring-a-ring o' roses,
A pocket full of posies,
We all fall down.
What is it all about?
Well, it is about the 'Black Death' or Bubonic Plague which hit London in 1665. Roses and posies were carried to hide the stench of the malodorous pustules. 'Fall down' relates to people dropping to the floor when sick.
75,000 people died.
You could leave this out. It's a bit grim!
Or you could use it as the basis for a discussion about epidemics and COVID-19, precautions and lockdown and vaccination.
FIRST SONG. 'Shine On Harvest Moon', Laurel & Hardy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIw14TwJvZc
Included because it was 'Harvest Moon' this week and well, because this is a classic black and white clip.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. BLACK & WHITE
1. A single colour picture or film is called what?
Which building is pictured?
2. An old black and white photograph with an orange hint is called what colour?
Who is pictured here?
3. List as many newspapers available in the UK as you can?
4. What puzzle is this?
Which two types can you complete?
5. What game is this?
Who knows how to play?
6. What game is this?
Who knows how to play?
7. What flag is this?
Which sport is it used in?
8. Name the game?
Name the pieces?
9. What is this symbol called?
What does it mean?
10. Is seeing a black cat good or bad luck?
Think of other good and bad luck symbols?