This is a brief CST activities page to help celebrate the start of the 'Beijing Winter Olympics 2022', which runs from 4-20 February.
Ask who enjoys following the Winter Olympics? Who prefers the Summer Olympic Games?
Has anyone a favourite winter sport?
Has anyone ever tobogganed, skied or skated?
What about non Winter Olympic Games, e.g. snowball fight, snowman building, cold water swimming or making snow angels. Has anyone had fun recently with these?
What do people think of this years mascots, what do people think they represent?
Bing Dwen Dwen and Shuey Rhon Rhon
A Giant Panda and an anthropomorphic Chinese Lantern
Does anyone remember this TV theme?
Hopefully, it will help us get in a wintry mood for the forthcoming music and picture quiz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEO_fgG3-I
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Identify These 10 Winter Olympic Sports
ROUND 2. Identify These 10 Host Nations
ROUND 3. Some Winter Sporting Memories
21. Name this British Olympian?
He was a British figure skater. and the 1976 European, Olympic and World Champion. He was noted for combining ballet and modern dance influences into his skating.
Here are his highlights (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bwX7rLyju8
22. Name this British Olympian?
He is a British former competitive figure skater. He was the 1980 Olympic champion, the 1980 European champion and a three-time World medalist (1978–1980). He was head judge on ITV's 'Dancing On Ice' show from 2006 to 2014.
Here are his highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmeohxAYKv4
23. Name these British Olympians. They won gold at Sarajevo in 1984.
Here is their winning performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Til6Pv3NgCI
24. Name this British Olympian?
In 1988, he became the first competitor since 1928 to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping.
Here are some of his best moments (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1aWsFpg3To
25. What was the name of the 1993 movie about a Jamaican Bobsleigh team completing in the 1988 Winter Olympics?
26. Which ex 'Eastenders' star featured in ITV's 'Dancing On Ice' in 2009?
Here is his most memorable performance (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeA879IROik
27. Who is this famous cyclist that appeared on 2017's 'The Jump' ITV show? (He broke his leg!)
28. Which TV reality show celebrity 'went flying' on ITV's 'Dancing On Ice' in 2019?
Here is her infamous fall (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQgQrzZIR8
29. Lizzy Yarnold is the most successful British Winter Olympian. She won consecutive gold medals in 2014 and 2018, but in which discipline?
Here is her most recent gold medal winning performance (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKF0vVwoiRY
30. Gus Kenworthy, the British-born American skier, failed to add to his silver from Sochi 2014, but a historic kiss with his boyfriend on USA primetime network TV may have made an even bigger impact back home.
This Winter Olympics he competes for the UK for the first time, but in what discipline?
Here is some of his best work (Spoiler alert) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKRTO2sgT0
ROUND 4. Some Snowy Songs
31. What is social entertainment and drinks after winter sports called?
32. If freezing point is 0 degrees Celsius, what is it in Fahrenheit?
33. True or False. No country in the Southern Hemisphere has ever hosted the Winter Olympics?
34. True or False. The Winter Olympics were hosted in California?
35. When does Spring start? (First official day)
36. What substance is sprinkled on roads to help keep traffic moving in the snow? And what does it turn snow into?
37. How do you make a 'Snow Angel'?
38. The Met Office define a BLIZZARD as moderate or heavy snow falling with winds exceeding what speed?
39. Aside from love, how would YOU keep warm in the winter weather?
40. To finish, here is 'Troika' by Prokofiev. The 'Troika' is a three horse sled in Russia. The music depicts a fast sleigh ride.
Perhaps finish by asking members what they would like to do on holiday if they went to a cold and snowy place?
You could help members to make an individual or group Winter Olympics collage by printing off some images, or bringing in some related magazines.
Or, thinking of members' lifetime sporting achievements or interests, you could make medals out of air drying clay and ribbon.
You could finish the session with some snowballs, or a fondue with some mulled wine.
3. Speed Skating
6. Ice Dancing
8. Ski Jumping
9. Ice Hockey
13. Bosnia and Herzegovina
20. South Korea
21. John Curry
22. Robin Cousins
23. Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean
24. Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards
25. 'Cool Runnings'
26. Todd Carty
27. Bradley Wiggins
28. Gemma Collins
30. Freestyle Skier
31. Apres Ski
32. 32 degrees Farenheit
34. True. Squaw Valley Resort, 1960
35. 20th March - 21st June
36. Grit is actually Rock Salt / Slush
37. Like this ...
38. 30 MPH
39. Make a list ...
Coal fire, central heating, warm soup, thick socks, jumper, hat, double glazed windows, insulation in the roof
Thermal underwear, hat, gloves & scarf, boots, jacket, goggles etc