Here are some suggested activities to dip into for a Christmas themed CST Group.
Start the session by pulling a Christmas cracker together and putting on the hats and reading the jokes.
Ask members the following questions, to promote discuss and recall.
- Things you most like about Christmas?
- The best or most memorable Christmas you ever had?
- The best Christmas present you ever got?
- The best Christmas present you ever gave?
- Your favourite Christmas food and drink?
Ask members to complete the following phrases ...
Jesus Mary and - JOSEPH (And the wee little donkey!)
Away in a - MANGER
Three wise - MEN
The holly and the - IVY
Mulled - WINE
Underneath the - MISTLETOE
Good King - WENCESLAS
Rudolf the red nose - REINDEER
Robin - REDBREAST
Father - CHRISTMAS
Santa - CLAUS
Jack - FROST
Snow - FLAKE, BALL
White - CHRISTMAS
Ebenezer - SCROOGE
Advent - CALENDAR, CANDLE
Carol - SERVICE
Nativity - PLAY
Midnight - MASS
Cranberry - SAUCE
Sage and onion - STUFFING
Brussels - SPROUTS
Mince - PIES
Chocolate - LOG/COINS
Jingle - BELLS
Fairy - LIGHTS
Wrapping - PAPER/PRESENTS
Queen's - SPEECH
Christmas - TREE, DECORATIONS, CAROL, CRACKER, PRESENT, PUDDING, CAKE, EVE, DAY
Boxing - DAY
'Tis the season - TO BE JOLLY
We wish you a - MERRY CHRISTMAS (AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR)
SONG. Our first song, to get us in the right mood for the festive season is 'It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas', sung by Michael Buble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUiHsJrRNGE * LYRICS *
Next, discuss Christmas Past. Ask people to list things which remind them of Christmas. Here's a list to get things going:
IN THE RUN UP TO CHRISTMAS (ADVENT)
- Writing and receiving Christmas cards
- Posting letters to Santa
- Opening the Advent Calendar each day
- Decorating the Christmas tree, with tinsel and baubles
- Placing the angel, or robin, on top of the tree
- Putting up the crib
- Making paper chain decorations
- Twisting crepe paper trimmings
- Putting up the fairy lights
- Christmas and New Year Radio Times
- Picking holly and ivy
- Making a Blue Peter Advent Lantern
- Carol singers coming to the door
- Nativity Play in school
- Carol Service
- Peeling shallots for pickled onions
- Making a Christmas cake
- Baking mince pies
- Putting presents under the tree
- Putting the Christmas stocking at the foot of the bed
- Leaving a glass of milk and a minced pie for Father Christmas, and a carrot for Rudolph
- Carols from Kings
- Stuffing the turkey
- Peeling the veg
- Counting the hours
- Praying for snow
- Not being able to sleep
- Midnight mass
- Early mornings, excited children
- Christmas breakfast
- Bucks fizz
- Opening presents
- Selection box
- Christmas Annual
- Christmas jumper
- Socks from Granny
- Laying the table
- Pulling Christmas crackers
- Turkey, ham hock and beef
- Pigs in blankets
- Lumpy gravy
- Cranberry sauce
- Sprouts, and their after effects
- Flaming Christmas pudding
- Queens Speech
- The Christmas film (maybe list some films which people have enjoyed over the holidays * see below)
- Mince pies and Christmas cake
- Nuts in a bowl and a nutcracker, which were always left over
- After Eights or a Chocolate Orange
- Tin of 'Family Circle' biscuits or 'Quality Street'
- A cup of Christmas cheer, such as warmed Mulled Wine, Hot Butter Rum or Irish coffee
- Common tipples were Baby Cham, Mateus Rose, Black Tower, Blue Nun, Snowball, a glass of Sherry or Port or Cherry brandy
- Too much alcohol and food and everyone asleep after dinner
- A kiss under the mistletoe
- Christmas sales
- Cold meats and pickles
- Bubble and squeak
- Turkey sandwiches for days afterwards
- Turkey curry
- Playing with games
- Watching even more TV
- Going to the races
- Having drinks or parties
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
By way of celebration, here is a 'Christmas Picture Quiz' to use for a CST group session, with some music suggestions thrown in. The quiz encourages reminiscence about Christmases past. Alternatively, you could use it for a family activity after Christmas dinner.
Happy Christmas to subscribers, followers and friends.
ROUND 1. Christmas Food & Drink
1. How do you make a 'Buck's Fizz'?
Who would prefer a different cocktail? What are people's favourites?
2. How do you tell if cranberries are ripe?
a. They sink in water
b. They float in water
c. They bounce
d. They turn blue, just before they are ripe
3. Does a turkey dinner make you sleepy?
4. Which part of a turkey can bring you good luck?
5. Why do sprouts make you fart? (I always blame the dog!)
6. What are the ingredients of 'Mulled Wine'?
7, What is the yellow layer of a Christmas cake called? What is it made from?
8. How do you set a Christmas pudding aflame to serve it? What pre-decimal coin was it a tradition to put inside it?
9. Name the nuts in this selection? (Does anyone ever eat them?)
10. Who invented Champagne and when?
Here are some hilarious clips of 'Fanny Craddock At Christmas' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-_J5-XadM
SINGALONG. 'The Christmas Song', Nat King Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKhRnZZ0cJI
ROUND 2. Classic Christmas TV
11. Where does the Royal Family spend Christmas? What time is Her Majesty on TV on Christmas Day?
(Who sets aside time to watch her Christmas Address?)
12. Name the TV show and the presenter?
Did anyone make one of these 'Advent Crowns'? (Bit of a fire risk, to be honest!)
13. Name the TV show? Who came from behind their news desk to dance in 1976?
Here is the clip - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bpkwp
14. Name the TV show? Name the two characters?
15. What was the name of 'The Simpsons' dog, who was rescued on Christmas Day 1989?
16. Name the four characters? Where in Wales was the TV show set?
17. Name the TV show? Name the characters?
Comedy clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFc_K2zCst4
18. Name the TV show? Name the two characters?
Comedy clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVeZU6nLe0&t=10s
19. Name the TV show? Name the two characters?
Closing joke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PeOeloKc7Q
20. Name the TV show? and the characters?
Comedy clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXcMbR_QRZU
SINGALONG. 'Jingle Bells', Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLf0-lro8X8
Round 3. Christmas Day Films
21. Name the 1946 movie? Name the main character and the angel?
22. Name the 1951 movie? Name the actor? Name the four ghosts?
23. Name the 1983 movie? And the actor?
24. What 1984 movie is this? What should you never do, to avoid the Mogwai becoming little demons?
25. Name the 1990 Christmas movie? Who did the family leave behind and where did they go?
Movie clip 'Oh Holy Night' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hczyxCbVtR8&t=3s
26. Name the 1994 Christmas movie? Who starred in it?
27. Name the 2003 movie? Name the actor?
28. Name the 2003 movie? Name the two actors?
29. Name the 2018 movie? Name the actor?
30. The 1942 movie this 1953 remake was based on was called what? What are the actors' names?
Movie clip/Singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QW65Amj0vM
Round 4. Christmas Music (Not included in the 'Christmas Music Quiz/Concert')
31. 'Little Donkey', The Beverley Sisters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjTI12iE4cI
What do you call a male and a female donkey?
32. 'Christmas: Baby Please Come Home', Darlene Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4ZXBzbAio
Which Christmas hits album did this track feature on?
33. 'Blue Christmas', Elvis Presley - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KK6sMo8NBY
What other hit did Elvis have with the word 'Blue' in its title?
34. 'Santa Baby', Eartha Kitt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCFi4l3nkY&t=2s
Eartha Kitt starred in the TV series Batman in the late 1960s in which role?
35. 'Step Into Christmas', Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRtGMm96F8
How many months have 28 days?
36. 'Gaudete', Steeleye Span - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pe3e2qk9wQ
What does the word 'Gaudete' mean?
a. 'Eat and drink'
c. 'Sleep soundly'
37. 'In Dulci Jubilo', Mike Oldfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvz7uflMIU
What was Mike Oldfield's first album?
38. 'Lonely This Christmas', Mud - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ6kJ7GWtv0
What hit single did they have about feet?
39. 'Feliz Navidad', Jose Feliciano - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtc2pM1boE
In which language does 'Feliz Navidad' mean 'Happy Christmas'??
40. 'Christmas Wrapping', The Waitresses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nud2TQNahaU
What items of clothing do waitresses (and waiters) wear?
FINAL SINGALONG. 'Away In A Manger', Christmas Carol With Lyrics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnwO_0DrpCk
Buy small Christmas presents, for example selection boxes, and some sellotape and wrapping paper. Wrap presents together, so that everyone takes a gift home with them to give to their loved one.