Here are some suggested activities to dip into for a Christmas themed CST Group.
Start the session by pulling a Christmas cracker together and putting on the hats.
Ask members the following questions, to promote discuss and recall.
- Things you most like about Christmas?
- The best or most memorable Christmas you ever had?
- The best Christmas present you ever got?
- The best Christmas present you ever gave?
- Does anyone have any New Year’s resolutions?
Ask members to complete the following phrases ...
Jesus Mary and - JOSEPH
Away in a - MANGER
Three wise - MEN
The holly and the - IVY
Mulled - WINE
Underneath the - MISTLETOE
Good King - WENCESLAS
Rudolf the red nose - REINDEER
Robin - REDBREAST
Father - CHRISTMAS
Santa - CLAUS
Jack - FROST
Snow - FLAKE, BALL
White - CHRISTMAS
Ebenezer - SCROOGE
Advent - CALENDAR, CANDLE
Carol - SERVICE
Nativity - PLAY
Midnight - MASS
Cranberry - SAUCE
Sage and onion - STUFFING
Brussels - SPROUTS
Mince - PIES
Chocolate - LOG
Jingle - BELLS
Fairy - LIGHTS
Wrapping - PAPER
Queen's - SPEECH
Christmas - TREE, DECORATIONS, CAROL, CRACKER, PRESENT, PUDDING, CAKE, EVE, DAY
Boxing - DAY
New year's - EVE, DAY, RESOLUTIONS
Auld Lang - SYNE
We wish you a merry - CHRISTMAS
(AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR)
SONG. Our first song, to get us in the right mood for the festive season is 'It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas', by Michael Buble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUiHsJrRNGE
Next, discuss Christmas Past. Ask people to list things which remind them of Christmas. Here's a list to get things going:
IN THE RUN UP TO CHRISTMAS (ADVENT)
- Writing and receiving Christmas cards
- Posting letters to Santa
- Opening the Advent Calendar each day
- Decorating the Christmas tree, with tinsel and baubles
- Placing the angel on top of the tree
- Putting up the crib
- Making paper chain decorations
- Twisting crepe paper trimmings
- Putting up the fairy lights
- Christmas and New Year Radio Times
- Picking holly and ivy
- Making a Blue Peter Advent Lantern
- Carol singers coming to the door
- Nativity Play in school
- Carol Service
- Peeling shallots for pickled onions
- Making a Christmas cake
- Icing the Christmas cake and decorating it
- Baking mince pies
- Putting presents under the tree
- Putting the Christmas stocking at the foot of the bed
- Leaving a glass of milk and a minced pie for Father Christmas, and a carrot for Rudolph
- Carols from Kings
- Stuffing the turkey
- Counting the hours
- Praying for snow
- Not being able to sleep
- Midnight mass
- Early mornings, excited children
- Christmas breakfast
- Bucks fizz
- Opening presents
- Selection box
- Christmas Annual
- Christmas jumper
- Socks from Granny
- Laying the table
- Pulling Christmas crackers
- Turkey, ham hock and beef
- Pigs in blankets
- Lumpy gravy
- Cranberry sauce
- Sprouts, and their after effects
- Flaming Christmas pudding, with a sixpence inside
- Pulling the wishbone
- Queens Speech
- The Christmas film (maybe list some films which people have enjoyed over the holidays * see below)
- Morecombe and Wise Christmas Show
- Mince pies and Christmas cake
- Nuts in a bowl and a nutcracker, which were always left over
- After Eights or a Chocolate Orange
- Tin of 'Family Circle' biscuits
- Tin of 'Quality Street'
- A cup of Christmas cheer, such as warmed Mulled Wine, Hot Butter Rum or Irish coffee
- Common tipples were Baby Cham, Mateus Rose, Black Tower, Blue Nun, Snowball, a glass of Sherry or Port or Cherry brandy
- Too much alcohol and food and everyone asleep after dinner
- A kiss under the mistletoe
- Christmas sales
- Cold meats and pickles
- Bubble and squeak
- Turkey sandwiches for days afterwards
- Going to see the Christmas Pantomime
- Playing with games
- Going to the races
NEW YEARS EVE
- Counting the seconds down to midnight
- Watching Jools Holland Hootenany
- Watching the fireworks display on The Thames
- Big Ben countdown
- Singing and dancing
- A kiss at midnight
- Auld Langs Syne
- New Years resolutions
- Dry January
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
By way of celebration, here is a 'Christmas Picture Quiz' to use for a short CST group session, with some music suggestions thrown in. The quiz encourages facial recognition and recall, but mainly promotes reminiscence about Christmases past. Alternatively, you could use it for a family activity after Christmas dinner.
Happy Christmas to subscribers, followers and friends.
ROUND 1. Classic Christmas TV
1. Name the presenter?
What was the name of the children's TV show?
2. Name the TV show?
What song was associated with their TV show?
3. Name these two characters?
Name the TV drama?
4. Name the four characters?
Where (nearby) was the TV show set?
5. Name the TV show?
Name the characters?
6. Name the TV show?
Name the two characters?
7. Name the TV show?
Name the two characters?
8. SONG. 'Last Christmas', Wham - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI
Name the two artists?
ROUND 2. TV Chefs at Christmas
9. Name the two 'Great British Bake Off' presenters?
10. Name the TV chef?
Which football club is she ssociated with?
11. Name the TV chef?
What was her politician father's name?
12. Name the TV chef?
What was his first TV show?
13. Name this TV chef?
What was her husband's name?
14. Name these two TV chefs?
15. Name the TV cookery show?
What were their names?
16. SONG. 'Do They Know It's Christmas?', Band Aid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQzJAKxTrE
The charity was set up by which two pop stars?
ROUND 3. Famous Faces At Christmas Time
17. What is his name?
What is his partner's name?
18. What are their names?
Who is taking over from him in January?
19. What are their names?
20. What are the names of these TV presenters?
Which two ITV shows do they host together?
21. What is the name of this 'Classic FM' presenter?
What was his 1985 hit Christmas song?
22. Name these two TV presenters?
What show did they first star in together?
23. What are her three Christian names?
What are the names of her four main residences?
24. SONG. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', Maria Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY
True or False, This 1994 song has just gone to Number 1 in the UK charts?
Round 5. Classic Christmas Films
25. Name the 1951 movie?
Name the actor?
26. Name the 1946 movie?
Starring which two actors pictured here?
27. Name the 1990 Christmas movie?
Where did the family go on holiday when they left Kevin at home?
28. Name the 2001 movie?
Name the actor?
29. Name the 2003 movie?
Name the actor?
30. Name the 2003 movie?
Name the two actors?
31. Who played the part of Kris Kingle in the 1994 movie version of 'Miracle On 34th Street?
What are the other names he has?
32. SONG. 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas', Judy Garland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreWsnhQwzY
What 1944 movie did this song feature in?
33. SONG. 'White Christmas', Bing Crosby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-IidmcSN8
The 1942 movie this 1953 remake was based on was called what?
What are the actors' names?
EXTRA TV ROUND
34. Name the TV show?
Name the actor comedian?
35. Name the TV presenter?
What was the TV show he hosted involving red boxes?
36. Name the TV show?
Name the two characters?
37. Name the TV show?
Name the actor and creator?
38. Name the TV drama?
Name the characters?
39. Name the TV show?
Name the Dame?
40. Name the TV show?
Name the four characters?
41. SONG. 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over', John Lennon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4tW7AG_mc
What are the names of the 'Fab Four'?
42. SONG. 'Driving Home For Christmas', Chris Rea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDt3u2Ev1cI
What was his other 'road' song?
43. LAST SONG. 'Away In A Manger', Christmas Carol With Lyrics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnwO_0DrpCk
Who is holding Baby Jesus in this picture?
CHRISTMAS CRACKER JOKES
To continue the tone of good humour and festive spirit, ask members to complete the following 'Top Rated Christmas Cracker Jokes'.
How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizzas?
One that's deep pan, crisp and even!
What did Adam say to his wife on the day before Christmas?
It's Christmas, Eve!
How many letters are in the Christmas alphabet?
25. There’s "no EL"!
What do you get if you eat Christmas decorations?
What does the Queen call her Christmas Broadcast?
The One Show!
How did Mary and Joseph know that Jesus was 7lb 6oz when he was born?
They had a weigh in a manger!
What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire?
What do you call a blind reindeer?
No eye deer!
Why was the snowman looking through the carrots?
He was picking his nose
Why did Santa's helper have to see the Psychologist?
Low elf esteem
Why did the scarecrow get a promotion?
He was outstanding in his field
How will Christmas dinner be different after Brexit?
What’s round and bad tempered?
A vicious circle
Why are pirates called pirates?
Because they arrrrrrr!
What goes "Oh, Oh, Oh"?
Santa walking backwards
What do you call a woman who stands between two goal posts?
Who hides in the bakery at Christmas?
A mince spy
Why did no-one bid for Rudolph and Blitzen on eBay?
Because they were two deer
Why couldn’t the skeleton go to the Christmas party?
He had no body to go with
What do you call a train loaded with toffee?
A chew chew train
Why are Christmas trees very bad at knitting?
Because they always drop their needles
Why did the pony have to gargle?
Because it was a little horse
What do snowmen have for breakfast?
What does Miley Cyrus have for her Christmas dinner?
What did Cinderella say when her photos didn’t arrive on time?
One day my prints will come
What did Santa do when he went speed dating?
He pulled a cracker
What do you call a boomerang that does not come back?
My wife rearranged all the herbs in the cupboard. I asked "how do you find the time?" She said "Next to the sage."
What do you call a line of men waiting for a haircut?
Who is Santa's favourite singer?
CHRISTMAS TV ADVERTS
If there is any time left and you have access to YouTube on a large screen TV, run the following YouTube Playlist and ask members to choose the 'Best TV Christmas Advert'. Rank them as you go along.
- 2014 Sainsbury ‘Christmas Truce’
- 2016 John Lewis ‘Buster The Boxer’
- 2017 M&S ‘Paddington And The Christmas Visitor’
- 2017 BBC ‘Single Dad’
- 2014 John Lewis ‘Monty The Penguin’
- 2013 John Lewis ‘The Hare And The Bear’
- 2017 Waitrose ‘Christmas Together’
- 2015 Sainsbury 'Mog's Christmas Calamity'
- 2010 Coca Cola ‘Holidays Are Coming’
- 2006 Irn-Bru ‘Snowman’
- 2017 Debenhams ‘You Shall’
- 1992 Quality Street ‘Magic Moments’
- 2003 Yellow Pages 'Mistletoe'
- 2014 Mulberry 'Win Christmas'
- 2016 M&S 'Christmas With Love From Mrs Claus'
- 2017 Audi 'Parking Lot'
- 2018 John Lewis 'Elton John'
- 2019 John Lewis 'Edgar The Dragon'
Buy small Christmas presents, for example selection boxes, and some sellotape and wrapping paper. Wrap presents together, so that everyone takes a gift home with them to give to their loved one.
Make Christmas Cards, purchasing the card, coloured pens, stickers and stamps etc to help people along the way. Hobby Craft or a similar shop is a great resource.
Sing Christmas Carols together. Prepare music sheets.
Refreshments. Make a Mulled Wine (with non alcoholic red wine, sliced oranges, a teaspoon of five spice and some lemonade to sweeten - warm it in a pan) and enjoy a glass of this with a mince pie.
Ice a ready made Christmas cake. Use a coating of apricot jam, a layer of marzipan, ready made icing and cake decorations. Share this later in the session, or have people take a slice home with them.
Make origami snowflakes.
Make Christmas chain decorations and decorate the room.
1. John Noakes 'Blue Peter' 2. 'Morecombe & Wise'
'Bring Me Sunshine'
3. Angie & Den Watts (Played by Anita Dobson & Lesley Grantham)
4. Gavin, Stacey, Nessa & Smithy (Played by Matthew Horne, Joanna Page, Ruth Jones & James Corden)
5. 'The Royale Family'
Jim, Barbara, Denise, Dave, Antony & Nana (Played by Ricky Tomlinson, Sue Johnston, Caroline Aherne, Craig Cash, Ralf Little & Liz Smith)
6. 'Only Fools And Horses'
Del Boy & Rodney (Played by David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst)
Norman Stanley Fletcher & Lennie Godber (Played by Ronnie Barker & Richard Beckinsale)
8. George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley
9. Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood
10. Delia Smith / Norwich
11. Nigella Lawson & Nigel Lawson (Margaret Thatcher's Chancellor Of The Exchequer)
12. Jamie Oliver
'The Naked Chef'
13. Fanny Craddock & Johnny
14. Gordon Ramsey & Gino Di Campo
15. 'The Two Fat Ladies'
Clarissa Dickson Wright & Jennifer Paterson
16. Bob Geldof & Midge Ure
17. Boris Johnson
18. Donald & Melania Trump
19. Prince William, Kate Middleton, Megan Markle, Harry Windsor
20. Phillip Schofield & Holly Willoughby
'This Morning' & 'Dancing On Ice'
21. Aled Jones
'Walking In The Air'
22. Anthony McPartlin & Declan Donnelly
' Byker Grove'
23. Elizabeth, Alexandra, Mary Windsor
Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Sandringham & Balmoral The 'Royal Standard' is raised when she is at home.)
26. 'It's A Wonderful Life'
James Stewart & Donna Reed
(Clarence was the name of the angel.)
27. 'Home Alone'
(Macaulay Culkin played Kevin McAllister)
28. 'Bridget Jones's Diary '
30. 'Love Actually'
Hugh Grant & Martine McCutcheon
31. Richard Attenborough
Santa Claus, Father Christmas, Saint Nicholas
32. 'Meet Me In St Louis'
33. 'Holiday Inn'
Bing Crosby, Rosemary Cloony, Vera-Ellen & Danny Kaye
(This song is the best selling Christmas single of all time.)
34. 'Knowing Me, Knowing Yule'
35. Noel Edmonds
'Deal Or No Deal' (A 'Brexit reference!)
36. 'The Vicar Of Dibley'
Geraldine Granger & Alice Tinker (Played by Dawn French & Emma Chambers)
37. 'Mrs Brown's Boys'
38. 'Coronation Street'
Ken Barlow, Carla Cooner & Liz McDonald
39. 'Downton Abbey'
Dame Maggie Smith (Played the Dowager Countess Of Grantham, Violet Crawley)
40. 'Father Ted'
Fathers Ted, Jack & Douglas & Mrs Doyle
(It was set on the fictional 'Craggy Island'.)
41. George Harrisson, John Lennon, Ringo Starr & Paul McCartney
42. 'Road To Hell' (Not very Christmassy, I know!)
43. Pope Francis (Proper name Jorge Mario Bergoglio)