“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” Christopher Reeve
The Queen's 95th Birthday was on Wednesday 21st April. Happy Birthday Mam! (Mam as in ham, not Marm as in smarm, according to the 2006 film ‘The Queen’, starring Helen Mirren.) Unfortunately, she was still mourning the death of her late beloved husband Prince Philip, Duke Of Edninburgh, who she described as "My strength and stay!" It was Earth Day on 22nd April and David Attenborough suggested the world had just 11 years left before irreparable damage was done and called on governments to declare a 'Climate Emergency'.
Greta Thunberg, a Swedish teenager, very impressively addressed politicians and media (again!), urging them to do more to protect future generations from climate change impacts.
Some things for members to think about, in making the world a better place (ask them to comment): - Eating less red meat / becoming vegan - Planting trees / keeping a nature friendly garden - Eating locally produced food / buying from local farm shops - Growing your own / keeping an allotment - Avoiding single use plastics / use a ‘bag for life’ - Recycling / reducing rubbish sent to landfill sites - Picking up litter / taking part in beach clean ups - Investing in solar / using less power generally - Riding a bike or walking / using the car less, or not having one - Using public transport / over 60s bus pass (in Wales) - Fewer air miles / UK holidays (staycations) - Reducing carbon footprint generally / turning down the central heating to 19c.
There are also things that we can do that are not directly related to the planet.
- Being kind
- Being more compassionate
- Donating to charities
- Rescuing an animal
- Sponsoring a third world child
- Enjoying nature and leaving only footprints!
HEROES Getting on to this week's CST session theme, it was the 81st anniversary of the first 'Superman' Marvel comic on 18th April. Also, it is ‘National Superhero Day’ on 28th April. However, we decided to start our discussions focusing on real life heroes and heroines. People that generally enrich society and who should be honoured for it. We asked, who are members’ heroes or heroines? It could be someone famous, or somebody that they know personally and hold in the highest regard. It could be somebody that they would like to meet and get their autograph or have a selfie taken with. Or somebody they would like to invite round for dinner or buy a drink for down the pub to say "Thank. You!". Has anyone met anyone famous? Take this opportunity to encourage story telling. What type of heroes can people think of. Here's a list: - War heroes - Olympians & Paralympians - Sporting heroes - Firefighters - Police - Ambulance - RNLI - NHS heroes - Mountain rescue - Armed forces - Army, Navy, RAF
We discussed how heroes are honoured in the UK? It could be on the news or in media print, with heroes welcomes and open top bus tours of cities, being given the keys of the city, having a golden letterbox in your honour, or being awarded a Queen’s medal. We noted the ‘Honours System’ and the various ranks of honours awarded by Government and HM Queen. The main ones are ... MBE - Member Of The British Empire OBE - Order Of The British Empire CBE - Commander Of The British Empire KBE - Knight Commander DBE - Dame Commander We asked if anyone knew any person who has been awarded a Queen's Honour for their public service and if so, for what particular reasons.
IDIOMS Ask members to complete the following phrases together (shout out) ...
Go from zero to - HERO Courage of your - CONVICTIONS Dutch - COURAGE Put on a brave - FACE Fortune favours the - BRAVE Famous for fifteen - MINUTES Become famous - OVERNIGHT One in a - MILLION
Folk - HERO
A trail - BLAZER Claim to - FAME Stand out from the - CROWD In the public - EYE A household - NAME Super - STAR
Knight in shining - ARMOUR
As proud as - PUNCH (Or a PEACOCK) Unsung - HERO
Salt of the - EARTH
Bask in - GLORY
A giant of the silver - SCREEN
Rock - LEGEND
Hero - WORSHIP
With great power comes great - RESPONSIBILITY
SONG BREAK. 'Simply The Best', Tina Turner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM
What is her real name? - ANNA MAE BULLOCK
Ask members what they are 'simply the best' at (or suggest their greatest gift or asset based on biographical assessment). Give a round of applause for each person as they are mentioned their skill.
If members were to be gifted with a super power which would they choose and why? Here's a list of possibilities: - Invisibility - Ability to fly - Time travel - X ray vision - Amplified hearing - Super strength - Mind reading - Telepathy - Levitation - Powers of healing - Longevity Ask members to discuss pros and cons of each.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Superheroes
1. Who starred as Superman in the 1978 movie?
What was Superman's earthly name?
2. Who starred as Wonder Woman in the 1970s TV series?
How did she change into her superhero outfit?
3. What was Spiderman's earthly name?
How did he become Spiderman?
4. What made Dr David Banner turn into 'The Incredible Hulk'?
5. Name these two superheroes?
In this TV clip, who played 'Cat Woman'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4H-LkrQjQ&t=6s
6. Name this superhero?
What was his day job?
7. What were the names of the four 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'?
8. Name this superhero and his arch enemy?
Here's a clip of the song by 'Queen' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4
9. Name these three wizards?
10. Name this wizard and the actor who plays him?
11. SONG. 'Hero', Enrique Iglesias - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU
What was his singing father's name and nationality?
ROUND 2. Other Heroes In Fiction
12. Who wrote the 1719 book 'Robinson Crusoe'?
TV music score clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHB1zd1f5M
13. Who, pictured here, starred in the 1998 movie 'The Mask Of Zorro'?
14. Who, pictured here, starred in the 1959 movie 'The Hound Of The Baskervilles'?
15. What was Tarzan's real name and what was his chimpanzee called?
A bonus point if you can do the 'Tarzan call'?
16. Who, pictured here, starred in the 1970s TV series 'The New Avengers'?
17. Who starred in the 1970s TV series 'The Man From Atlantis'?
18. Who starred in the 1970s TV series 'The Six Million Dollar Man'?
How much would Six Million Dollars in the 1970s be worth today?
Here is a TV clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8&t=21s
19. What were these characters names in the 'Star Wars' series?
How were they related?
20. Complete these 'India Jones' movie titles:
- 'Raiders Of The Lost ***' (1981)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Temple Of ****' (1984)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Last *******' (1989)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal *****' (2008)
21. SONG. 'Everything I Do I Do It For You', Bryan Adams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqiGhCpqwJI
What was the name of the forest where Robin Hood and his Merry Men lived?
ROUND 3. Real Life Heroes
Identify the real life hero?
22. Clue 'ENDURANCE'
23. Clue 'EVEREST'
24. Clue 'BATTLE OF BRITAIN'
25. Clue 'THE ENIGMA CODE'
26. Clue. 'ASSASSINATED IN 1968'
27. Clue. 'APOLLO 11'
28. Clue. 'ROBIN ISLAND'
29. Clue. 'RFA SIR GALAHAD'
30. Clue. 'EXTINCTION REBELLION'
31. Clue. 'PRINCESS OF PEOPLE'S HEARTS'
32. SONG. 'Hero', Maria Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IA3ZvCkRkQ
Her nickname is 'The Queen Of ********* what?
ROUND 4. Famous Quotations
Who said these well known words?
33. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”
34. "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
35. "Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value."
36. "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
37. "Everyone is famous for 15 minutes."
38. "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
39. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
40. "I'm not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."
41. "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
42. “Do, or do not. There is no try.”
43. SONG. 'Holding Out For A Hero', Bonnie Tyler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0
What was her 1983 number 1 hit single?
Note. We lost Jim Steinman this week (November 1, 1947 – April 19, 2021). He composed and produced records with Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler. May he R.I.P.
44. SONG. 'Heroes', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgkuM2NhYI
"We can be heroes, just for one day." So goes the lyric.
Has anyone ever done anything they would consider heroic, brave or good? Has anyone saved or rescued someone or an animal? Or been in the papers or credited elsewhere for an act of courage or for their contribution to society? Or been awarded a Queen's medal or other honour for something they have done? Or jumped out of a plane, run a marathon or walked a mile or done anything else for charity? Perhaps if not them they might have a story to tell about a family member or friend?
45. SONG. 'We Are The Champions', Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY
Ask members to sing along and wave their hands in the air ...
PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES Help members make Hollywood Walk Of Fame Stars for themselves. Perhaps pre prepare cut outs. Help members write their names with a flourish in bold ink in the centre of the star and adorn them with as much colour and glitter as possible. (Walk Of Fame Stars have five categories: motion pictures, television, recording, radio and live performance, each represented by an emoji under the person's name of a film camera, TV, microphone, radio and drama masks. Maybe choose an emoji from the internet to represent members' greatest gift or an area which they have excelled in... Have some Heroes Chocolates on hand to pass around.
1. Christopher Reeve / Clark Kent (He worked at 'The Daily Planet')
2. Lynda Carter / She span round and round at speed
3. Peter Parker / He was bitten by a radioactive spider
4. "You won't like me when I'm angry!"
5. Batman & Robin / Eartha Kitt
6. Henry (Penrod Pooch) / Mild mannered janitor
7. Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael
8. Flash Gordon & Ming The Merciless
9. Ron Weasley, Harry Potter & Hermione Granger
10. Gandalf / Ian McKellen
11. Julio Iglesias / Spanish
12. Daniel Defoe
13. Catherine Zeta-Jones & Antonio Banderas
14. Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee
15. Lord Greystoke & Cheetah
16. Joanna Lumley, Gareth Hunt & Patrick McNee
17. Patrick Duffy
18. Lee Majors / $30m
19. Darth Vadar & Luke Skywalker / "Luke, I am your father!"
- 'Raiders Of The Lost ARK' (1981)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Temple Of DOOM' (1984)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Last CRUSADE' (1989)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal SKULL' (2008)
21. Sherwood Forest
22. Ernest Shackleton
23. Edmund Hilary & Sherpa Tensing
24. Douglas Bader
25. Alan Turing
26. Martin Luther King
27. Michael Collins, Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin
28. Nelson Mandela
29. Simon Weston
30. David Attenborough & Greta Thunberg
31. Diana Princess Of Wales
32. Queen Of Christmas
33. Barack Obama
34. Abraham Lincoln
35. Albert Einstein
36. Charlie Chaplin
37. Andy Warhol
38. Muhammed Ali
39. Oscar Wilde
40. Marilyn Monroe
41. Walt Disney
43. 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart'
The final word goes to Diana Princess Of Wales
“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”