“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” Christopher Reeve
It was 'Earth Day' on 22nd April and David Attenborough suggested the world had just 11 years left before irreparable damage was done and called on governments to declare a 'Climate Emergency'.
Greta Thunberg, a Swedish teenager, very impressively addressed politicians and media (again!), urging them to do more to protect future generations from climate change impacts.
Some things for members to think about, in making the world a better place (ask them to comment): - Eating less red meat / becoming vegan - Planting trees / keeping a nature friendly garden - Eating locally produced food / buying from local farm shops - Growing your own / keeping an allotment - Avoiding single use plastics / use a ‘bag for life’ - Recycling / reducing rubbish sent to landfill sites - Picking up litter / taking part in beach clean ups - Investing in solar / using less power generally - Riding a bike or walking / using the car less, or not having one - Using public transport / over 60s bus pass (in Wales) - Fewer air miles / UK holidays (staycations) - Reducing carbon footprint generally / turning down the central heating to 19c.
There are also things that we can do that are not directly related to the planet.
- Being kind
- Being more compassionate
- Donating to charities
- Rescuing an animal
- Sponsoring a third world child
- Enjoying nature and leaving only footprints!
SONG BREAK. 'He's Got The Whole World In His Hands', Laurie London - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12CmOw5MY0E
HEROES Getting on to this week's CST session theme, it was the 82nd anniversary of the first 'Superman' Marvel comic on 18th April. Also, it is ‘National Superhero Day’ on 28th April. However, we decided to start our discussions focusing on real life heroes and heroines. People that generally enrich society and who should be honoured for it. We asked, who are members’ heroes or heroines? It could be someone famous, or somebody that they know personally and hold in the highest regard. It could be somebody that they would like to meet and get their autograph or have a selfie taken with. Or somebody they would like to invite round for dinner or buy a drink for down the pub to say "Thank. You!". Has anyone met anyone famous? Take this opportunity to encourage story telling. What type of heroes can people think of. Here's a list: - War heroes - Olympians & Paralympians - Sporting heroes - Firefighters - Police - Ambulance - RNLI - NHS heroes - Mountain rescue - Armed forces - Army, Navy, RAF - Ordinary people who do extraordinary things
We discussed how heroes are honoured in the UK? It could be on the news or in media print, with heroes welcomes and open top bus tours of cities, being given the keys of the city, having a golden letterbox in your honour, or being awarded a Queen’s medal. We noted the ‘Honours System’ and the various ranks of honours awarded by Government and HM Queen. The main ones are ... MBE - Member Of The British Empire OBE - Order Of The British Empire CBE - Commander Of The British Empire KBE - Knight Commander DBE - Dame Commander We asked if anyone knew any person who has been awarded a Queen's Honour for their public service and if so, for what particular reasons.
IDIOMS We asked members to complete the following phrases together (shout out) ...
Go from zero to - HERO Courage of your - CONVICTIONS Dutch - COURAGE Put on a brave - FACE Fortune favours the - BRAVE Famous for fifteen - MINUTES Become famous - OVERNIGHT One in a - MILLION
Folk - HERO
Trail - BLAZER Claim to - FAME Stand out from the - CROWD In the public - EYE A household - NAME Super - STAR
Knight in shining - ARMOUR
As proud as - PUNCH (or a PEACOCK) Unsung - HERO
Salt of the - EARTH
Bask in - GLORY
A giant of the silver - SCREEN
Rock - LEGEND
Hero - WORSHIP
With great power comes great - RESPONSIBILITY
SONG BREAK. 'Simply The Best', Tina Turner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM
What is her real name? - ANNA MAE BULLOCK
Ask members what they are 'simply the best' at (or suggest their greatest gift or asset based on biographical assessment). Give a round of applause for each person as their skills is mentionedl.
If members were to be gifted with a super power which would they choose and why? Here's a list of possibilities: - Invisibility - Ability to fly - Time travel - X ray vision - Amplified hearing - Super strength - Mind reading - Telepathy - Levitation - Powers of healing - Longevity Ask members to discuss pros and cons of each.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Superheroes
1. Who starred as Superman in the 1978 movie?
What was Superman's earthly name?
Movie & music clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI&t=50s
2. Who starred as Wonder Woman in the 1970s TV series?
How did she change into her superhero outfit?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wtDRs99leU
3. What was Spiderman's earthly name?
How did he become Spiderman?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o29VoxtsFk
4. What made Dr David Banner turn into 'The Incredible Hulk'?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9MysTXM_P4
5. Name these two superheroes?
In this TV clip, who played 'Cat Woman'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4H-LkrQjQ&t=6s
6. Who starred in the 1970s TV series 'The Six Million Dollar Man'?
How much would Six Million Dollars in the 1970s be worth today?
Here is a TV clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8&t=21s
7. In the TV series 'Mission Impossible', how many seconds were there before the secret message would self-destruct?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alss3sDJdg
8. In the TV series 'The Champions', what were their special powers?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccLo_yQgFg
9. Which actor played the part of 'The Saint'?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWr_1uLjqic
10. Who played the part of Purdy in 'The New Avengers'?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWr_1uLjqic
11. Name this superhero and his arch enemy?
Here's a clip of the song by 'Queen' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4
ROUND 2. Other Heroes In Fiction
12. Who wrote the 1719 book 'Robinson Crusoe'?
TV music score clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHB1zd1f5M
13. Who, pictured here, starred in the 1998 movie 'The Mask Of Zorro'?
Original TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnle_3KuOE
14. Who, pictured here as Sherlock Holmes, starred in the 1959 movie 'The Hound Of The Baskervilles'?
15. What was Tarzan's real name and what was his chimpanzee called?
A bonus point if you can do the 'Tarzan call'?
TV titles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cribX-s2IE
16. What were the names of these characters in the 'Star Wars' series?
How were they related?
Original movie trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3_CFmnU7k
17. Complete these 'India Jones' movie titles:
- 'Raiders Of The Lost ***' (1981)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Temple Of ****' (1984)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Last *******' (1989)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal *****' (2008)
Another classic movie trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_BJXG1-44
18. Name these three wizards?
Official trailer for the first movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHV0BRtdxo
19. Name this 'Lord Of The Rings' wizard and the actor who plays him?
Official movie trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75dMMIW2B4
20. Name these James Bond and M actors from the movie 'Skyfall'?
Here is the Adele song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-gLRp5bSpw&t=180s
21. Name these other James Bonds?
22. SONG. 'Everything I Do I Do It For You', Bryan Adams - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3937105809686721
What was the name of the forest where Robin Hood and his Merry Men lived?
What was the name of his arch enemy?
ROUND 3. Real Life Heroes
Identify the real life heroes?
23. Clue 'ENDURANCE'
24. Clue 'EVEREST'
25. Clue 'BATTLE OF BRITAIN'
26. Clue 'THE ENIGMA CODE'
27. Clue. 'ASSASSINATED IN 1968'
28. Clue. 'APOLLO 11'
29. Clue. 'ROBBIN ISLAND'
30. Clue. 'RFA SIR GALAHAD'
31. Clue. 'PRINCESS OF PEOPLE'S HEARTS'
32. CLUE. 'UKRAINE'
33. SONG. 'Hero', Maria Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IA3ZvCkRkQ
Her nickname is 'The Queen Of *********' what?
ROUND 4. Famous Quotations
You could ask the questions, or just discuss the quotes ...
34. Famous for the theory of what?
35. The name of her character in 'Breakfast At Tiffany's'?
36. Where was he born?
37. Who, in one of his books, kept a painting of himself in the attic?
38. What was her disability?
39. Who is the mascot of the 'Walt Disney Company'?
40. Which two characters did he create?
41. Best known for his theory on what?
42. What did he launch in 2007?
43. He was the tallest ever US President. How tall do you reckon (nearest guess)?
And my favourite ...
44. SONG. 'Hero', Enrique Iglesias - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU
What was his singing father's name and nationality?
45. SONG. 'Holding Out For A Hero', Bonnie Tyler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0
What was her 1983 number 1 hit single?
46. SONG. 'Heroes', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgkuM2NhYI
"We can be heroes, just for one day." So goes the lyric.
Has anyone ever done anything they would consider heroic, brave or good? Or been in the papers or credited elsewhere for an act of courage or for their contribution to society? Or been awarded a Queen's medal or other honour for something they have done? Or jumped out of a plane, run a marathon or walked a mile or done anything else for charity? Perhaps if not them they might have a story to tell about a family member or friend who has?
Just a reminder, living a good life and being fulfilled and happy is also a fantastic contribution to society.
And coping with memory loss and cognitive impairment and living well with dementia is heroic in and of itself.
47. SONG. 'We Are The Champions', Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY
Ask members to sing along and wave their hands in the air ...
PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES Help members make 'Hollywood Walk Of Fame Stars' for themselves. Perhaps pre prepare cut outs. Help members write their names with a flourish in bold ink in the centre of the star and adorn them with as much colour and glitter as possible. (Walk Of Fame Stars have five categories: motion pictures, television, recording, radio and live performance, each represented by an emoji under the person's name of a film camera, TV, microphone, radio and drama masks. Maybe choose an emoji from the internet to represent members' greatest gift or skills, or an area which they have excelled in... Have some Heroes Chocolates on hand to pass around.
1. Christopher Reeve / Clark Kent (He worked at 'The Daily Planet')
2. Lynda Carter / She span round and round at speed
3. Peter Parker / He was bitten by a radioactive spider
4. "You won't like me when I'm angry!"
5. Batman & Robin / Eartha Kitt
6. Lee Majors / $30m
7. 5 seconds
8. Extrasensory powers to communicate with one another over distances (telepathy) and to foresee events (precognition) and enhanced versions of the ordinary five senses (hearing and sight especially)
9. Roger Mooore
10. Joanna Lumley, Gareth Hunt & Patrick McNee
11. Flash Gordon & Ming The Merciless
12. Daniel Defoe
13. Catherine Zeta-Jones & Antonio Banderas
14. Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee
15. Lord Greystoke & Cheetah
16. Darth Vadar & Luke Skywalker / "Luke, I am your father!"
- 'Raiders Of The Lost ARK' (1981)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Temple Of DOOM' (1984)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Last CRUSADE' (1989)
- 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal SKULL' (2008)
18. Ron Weasley, Harry Potter & Hermione Granger
19. Gandalf / Ian McKellen
20. Daniel Craig & Judi Dench
21. Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan & Daniel Craig
22. Sherwood Forest / Sheriff Of Nottingham
23. Ernest Shackleton
24. Edmund Hilary & Sherpa Tensing
25. Douglas Bader
26. Alan Turing
27. Martin Luther King
28. Michael Collins, Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin
29. Nelson Mandela
30. Simon Weston
31. Diana Princess Of Wales
32. Volodymyr Oleksandrovych Zelenskyy
33. Queen Of Christmas
34. 'Theory Of Relativity'
35. Miss Holly Golightly
37. Dorian Gray
38. Blind, deaf & dumb
39. Mickey Mouse
40. Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn
41. Black Holes
43. 6 ft 4 ins
44. Julio Eglasias
45. 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart'
The final word goes to Diana Princess Of Wales
“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”