Those of us of a certain age will remember the 1967 'Summer Of Love', the 'Hippy Movement', 'Flower Power' and 'Woodstock'. It was a time of great cultural change and new rights and freedoms, which were long fought for. People let their hair down, literally, and chilled out. Some recreational drugs might have been involved! The centre of the movement was the vibrant cosmopolitan city of San Fransisco, but the UK was definitely a big part of it too, especially the British music scene.
In this music based activities page we celebrate some of that music, the songs of 'The Beatles', 'Mamas & Papas', 'The Kinks' and many more groups and artists that filled our hearts with love and hope during that 'Summer Of Love'. All bar a couple of these songs are from 1967, which is just incredible when you think about it.
I really hope you enjoy this musical interlude, which will hopefully help everyone reminisce about life in the 60s.
Start the session by asking who remembers the 'Summer Of Love' in 1967?
Who remembers the 60s more generally?
What were members doing back then? What 'scene' and music were they into?
Discuss 60s fashions. What were members' 'looks'? What about their hairstyle?
Did anyone identify as a 'Hippy'?
You can either click on the first photo and a slide show will open, if you are broadcasting, or at the bottom of the page are four groups of nine photos (of 48 singles covers), if you want to screenshot them and print them off for the tables. (If you do this you could have a game of 'Name The Song' after playing just a few bars or you could ask members to discuss and agree their favourite song on their sheet.)
Here are some idioms about love and summer for your group to complete together ...
Catch someone’s EYE
Be my one and ONLY
Falling head over HEELS
A match made in HEAVEN
Have butterflies in your STOMACH
Birds and the BEES
Whisper sweet NOTHINGS
The apple of my EYE
Love is BLIND
Love makes the world go ROUND
Make love not WAR
Make hay while the sun SHINES
One swallow doesn’t make a SUMMER
Fair weather FRIEND
On cloud NINE
Like a cat on a hot tin ROOF
Come rain or SHINE
The sun has got his HAT ON
Sun BATHING, HAT, CREAM
Beach BUM, BOYS, HUT
Summer of LOVE
Here is my 'Summer Of Love' Spotify playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/22HTubepizmfyXgj51YNBw?si=00eb4a79e9e54f65
1. 'San Fransisco', Scott McKenzie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U
Which district in San Fransisco is said to be the place where the 'Hippy Movement' started?
2. 'Woodstock', Matthews Southern Comfort - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9hi9fAwUQ
Who wrote this song?
(Who likes a shot of 'Southern Comfort'?)
3. 'Flowers In The Rain', The Move - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOc_hgpyPE
Which DJ launched Radio 1 with this song on 30th September 1967?
(What are members' favourite Summer flowers?)
4. 'Strawberry Fields Forever', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUH9z_Oey8
What kind of a place was 'Strawberry Fields'?
5. 'Love Is All Around', The Troggs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEEhzAh6n4
Which Scottish band later re-recorded this song and had a massive hit with it?
(Think of some symbols of love?)
6. 'Waterloo Sunset', The Kinks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLoYQx8BXo
Who was the lead singer-songwriter of 'The Kinks'?
(Complete the phrase "Red sky at night, ********'* *******; Red sky in the morning, ********'* ********.")
7. 'Nights In White Satin', The Moody Blues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqxbGm9hBI
Who was the lead singer?
(Name some other fabrics?)
8. 'Aquarius, Let The Sunshine In', The 5th Dimension - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCH5lnZ6sA
List the 12 signs of the zodiac? (What star sign are you?)
9. 'Itchycoo Park', Small Faces - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e__TbhQGJU
Is 'Itchycoo Park' a real place?
(Name some local parks where you would like to take a summer walk?)
10. 'Good Vibrations', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apBWI6xrbLY&t=2s
The Beach Boys are associated with which community?
(Does anyone enjoy being in or on the sea?)
11. 'The House Of The Rising Sun', The Animals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-43lLKaqBQ
In the lyrics, where was 'The House Of The Rising Sun'?
(Pick a letter of the alphabet. Name as many animals as you can beginning with that letter?)
12. 'Dedicated To The One I Love', The Mamas And Papas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUr5_QVPCAI
What was the name of the lead singer & how old was she when she died in 1974?
13. 'Up, Up and Away', The 5th Dimension - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i47dOeq2Yk
Which bread did this song help advertise?
(Can anyone think of other forms of air travel in addition to a Hot Air Balloon?)
14. 'I Can't Let Maggie Go', The Honeybus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih4zwp-0GeQ
Which insects make honey?
(Can anyone think of any famous Margarets?)
15. 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You', Frank Valli - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36z7AnhvOM
What was Frankie Valli's backing group known as?
What is the stage show inspired by Frank Valli and his group called?
16. 'The Look Of Love', Dusty Springfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1d65OHYXo
What is Dusty's original name?
Complete these other song titles:
- 'Son Of A ******** ***'
- 'You Don't Have To *** *** **** **'
- 'In Only Want ** ** **** ***'
- 'I Just Don't Know **** ** ** **** *******'
17. 'Let's Spend The Night Together', The Rolling Stones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9qy-c1XXk
Which ex-wife of lead singer Mick Jagger is now married to the media mogul Rupert Murdock?
(Complete this well known phrase ... "A rolling stone ******* ** ****.")
18. 'Daydream Believer', The Monkees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvqeSJlgaNk
What were their names?
Complete the titles of their other hits?
- 'I'm A ********'
- 'Last Train To ***********'
- 'The ********'
19. 'Mellow Yellow', Donovan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbni0tVBZ8
What flower does the spice Saffron come from?
(Can you name some other spices?)
20. 'Respect', Aretha Franklin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0
What does TCB in the lyrics mean? "Taking Care Of ********"
What was her nickname?
21. 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale', Procol Harum - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA
What does 'Trip The Light Fantastic' refer to?
Any ideas what 'Procol Harum' means (it's Latin)?
22. 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naoknj1ebqI
Which psychedelic drug is this song associated with?
Which album saw the 'Fab Four' dressed like this?
23. 'Brown Eyed Girl', Van Morrison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe-qMGo
Which part of the UK does Van Morrison come from?
(Take a straw poll. What is the most common eye colour in the room?)
24. 'Mr Tambourine Man', The Byrds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnstCrL1_e0
Who wrote this song?
(Name some other musical instruments?)
25. 'Big Yellow Taxi', Joni Mitchell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2595abcvh2M
In which US city would you find big yellow taxis & what is it's nickname?
26. 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing', The New Seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR0KElxxVg
Which drink was this song used to advertise?
27. 'Something Stupid', Nancy & Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQS2r_kAbpM
What was Frank Sinatra's nickname?
28. 'California Dreaming', The Mamas And Papas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
Which actor was governor of California?
29. 'God Only Knows', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADx3-qRxek
What was the name of the album this song is from?
30. 'Green Green Grass Of Home', Tom Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXkZkGzxWk
What nationality is Tom Jones?
31. 'Morningtown Ride', The New Seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RkC6MYT2E
Which BBC Radio 4 quiz show had a round called 'Mornington Crescent'?
32. 'You Keep Me Hanging On', The Supremes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjMtqpGBw
Which singer went on to have a successful solo career?
33. 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted', Jimmy Ruffin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vf3ZE7CLg0
Who had a hit single with the song 'D.I.V.O.R.C.E.' in 1968?
34. 'I'm A Believer', The Monkees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9YIsKIEbA
What was the first line from their TV intro song 'The Monkees'?
(Name some other primates?)
35. 'Silence Is Golden', The Tremeloes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-nP1KsaBo
Which duo had a hit with 'The Sound Of Silence' in 1964?
36. 'Baby, Now That I've Found You', The Foundations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHhLiRkxNM
Which flower featured in the title of another of their hits in 1968?
37. 'Happy Together', The Turtles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCe5L1imxg
Which UK comedian hat a 1964 hit with the song 'Happiness'?
38. 'Blowin' In The Wind', Bob Dylan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwgrjjIMXA
Which war was this song used to protest against?
39. 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More', The Walker Brothers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-ExoAmPns
Which group had a hit in 1969 with the song 'Here Comes The Sun'?
40. 'Light My Fire', The Doors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKd6yarfkxA
Which 'Pop Idol' had a hit with a cover of this song in 2002?
41. 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough', Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5PL0XImjw
Complete these song titles:
- 'Sexual *******'
- 'What's Going **'
- 'I Heard It Through The *********'
- 'You're All I Need To *** **'
42. 'Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher And Higher', Jackie Wilson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcwqCmEi9Jc
What was Jackie Wilson's nickname?
43. 'Sunshine Of Your Love', Cream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqQL0J_Vr0
At which summer sporting event might you eat strawberries and cream?
44. 'Pretty Flamingo', Manfred Mann - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxzmLyVFYY
What turns flamingos pink?
45. 'Georgie Girl', The Seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
Who starred in this 1966 movie?
46. 'Thank You Very Much', The Scaffold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGNc5JLA0I
Which chocolates did this song help advertise?
47. 'Excerpt From A Teenage Opera', Keith West - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMEK4VJtlsA
What was Jack's occupation?
48. 'All You Need Is Love', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5SwK0bGCM
Which county's national anthem can be heard at the start of this song?
Why not buy some cheap white t-shirts and dyes and make some tie-dye hippie tees. It's really easy. Here is an instructional video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3QsQWWFy8
1. Haight Ashbury
2. Joni Mitchell
3. Tony Blackburn
4. A Salvation Army Home That John Lennon Used To Visit As A Child And Later Donated Money To
5. 'Wet Wet Wet'
6. Ray Davies / "Red sky at night, SHEPHERD'S DELIGHT; Red sky in the morning, SHEPHERD'S WARNING."
7. Justin Hayward / Velvet, Chiffon, Tartan, Lace, Muslin, Tweed, Denim etc
8. Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces
9. Not Really. "Itchycoo" refers to stinging nettles in the park where Steve Marriott grew up and later visited for drug taking
11. New Orleans
12. Mama Cass (Elliot) died age 32
13. 'Nimble' / Hang Glider, Parachute, Light Aircraft, Helicopter, Jumbo Jet, Concorde etc
14. Honey Bees / Margaret Thatcher, Dame Maggie Smith, Meg Ryan etc
15. 'The Four Seasons' / 'The Jersey Boys'
16. Mary O'Brien
- 'Son Of A PREACHER MAN'
- 'You Don't Have To SAY YOU LOVE ME'
- 'In Only Want TO BE WITH YOU'
- 'I Just Don't Know WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF'
17. Jerry Hall (Actually they just got a divorce!)
"A rolling stone GATHERS NO MOSS"
18. Micky Dolenz · Michael Nesmith · Peter Tork · Davy Jones
- 'I'm A BELIEVER'
- 'Last Train To CLARKSVILLE'
- 'The MONKEES'
19. Crocus / Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Chilli, Cinammon, Curry, Paprika, Cloves etc
20. "Taking care of BUSINESS" / 'The Queen Of Soul'
21. To dance lightly or nimbly / "Beyond these things"
22. LSD (Lucy. Sky. Diamonds.) / 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
23. Belfast, Northern Ireland / (48% of the British population now have blue eyes. This is followed by green eyes at 30%, with a mere 22% of the British population having brown eyes.)
24. Bob Dylan / Cymbals, Triangle, Timpani, Snare Drum, Bass Drum
25. New York / 'The Big Apple'
26. 'Coca Cola'
27. 'Old Blue Eyes'
28. Arnold Schwarzenegger
29. 'Pet Sounds'
31. 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue'
32. Diana Ross
33. Tammy Wynette
34. "Here we come, walking' down the street. We get the funniest looks from everyone we meet."
35. Simon & Garfunkel
36. 'Build Me Up Buttercup'
37. Ken Dodd
39. 'The Beatles'
40. Will Young
41. - 'Sexual HEALING'
- 'What's Going ON'
- 'I Heard It Through The GRAPEVINE'
- 'You're All I Need To GET BY'
42. 'Mr Excitement'
45. Lynn Redgrave
46. 'Cadbury's Roses'