"To other countries, I may go as a tourist, but to India, I come as a pilgrim" - Martin Luther King, Jr
It is 'National Curry Week' this week, therefore 'Celebrating India' is our theme choice.
Start by asking members, 'Who has been to India?'
If anyone has visited, 'What was it like?'
And, 'For those who have not been, who would fancy a holiday there?'
And, 'For what reasons would you like to visit India, or not?'
Ask members to complete these well known phrases ...
Indian SUMMER (October good weather)
Delhi BELLY (upset tummy)
Too many chiefs and not enough INDIANS (too many people telling others what to do, not enough people doing the actual work)
Take it with a pinch of SALT (I don't entirely believe it)
Sugar and spice and all things NICE - that's what little girls are made of (boys are made of slugs and snails and PUPPY DOG TAILS)
Cowboys and INDIANS (a children's game)
Elephants never FORGET (they are supposed to have a good memory)
Three wise MONKEYS (The saying is, 'See no evil, hear no evil, SPEAK NO EVIL'.)
Rub salt into the WOUND (make it worse)
Variety is the SPICE of life (keep yourself open to new experiences)
Salt of the EARTH (someone with no airs or graces, what you see is what you get)
Holy COW (cows are sacred in India)
Peter Piper picked a peck of PICKLED Pepper * (see below)
It was twenty years ago today Sgt. Pepper taught the BAND TO PLAY (lyric)
In a PICKLE (you have a problem)
Cut the MUSTARD (make the grade)
Bring out the BRANSTON (advertising slogan)
Some like it HOT (1959 comedy film starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon & Marilyn Monroe)
* (full tongue twister)
"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?"
Probably the first curry members ever tasted was a 'Vesta Curry', which was popular in the 1970s but you can still buy today.
Ask members if they remember this dish, which was dried and you had to add water to it and boil it, along with boil in the bag rice.
How did it compare to the real thing?
Ask members what their favourite curry dish is? Also, what is their favourite Indian restaurant?
When is the last time members had a curry, either in a restaurant or as a takeaway?
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. About India
1. What is the Capital of India?
2. What are the official two languages of India?
3. True or False. The population of India is over 1 billion?
4. Bombay is now called what?
5. What is the main religion of India?
6. What is the currency of India?
7. What is a length of material worn around the head by Sikhs called?
8. Which garment worn by Indian women consists of a drape of coloured fabric 4.5- 8 metres in length?
9. What is the coloured dot worn on the forehead by Hindus? (the sacred symbol of the cosmos, or the point at which creation begins)
10. What is the most sacred river in India? (pilgrims bathe in the waters at Varanasi)
11. What is the physical, mental, and spiritual discipline which originated in ancient India? (demonstrate some poses)
12. Which ancient Hindu text describes human sexual behaviour?
13. What is an automated rickshaw called?
14. What is Banghra a style of?