Here are a few ideas for a Cornwall themed CST session to celebrate 'St Piran's Day' on 5th March.
Start by asking members if they have enjoyed any holidays in Cornwall and what their favourite places are?
Then there is a short 'Music and Picture Quiz' below.
Finish the session with perhaps a 'Cornish Cream Tea' (cream on top) or Fish & Chips.
1. What is the Cornish word for Cornwall?
Who is the Patron Saint?
2. What is the cathedral city in Cornwall?
Is it the only city?
3. Name this North Cornwall fishing village?
Who became famous as a TV chef here?
4. Name the island?
Which French place is it twinned with?
5. Name this North Cornwall castle/tourist attraction?
Which mythical King is associated with this place?
6. Name this 'biblical' Cornish garden?
What is inside the domes?
7. Name this 'Lost Garden'?
Which fishing village are they near?
8. Name this Newquay surfing beach (the lead surfing beach in the UK)?
Apparently, Newquay is a popular destination for parties for brides and husbands to be. What are they called?
9. Name this famous Cornish holiday resort?
Answer the famous riddle: On my way to St. Ives I saw a man with 7 wives. Each wife had 7 sacks. Each sack had 7 cats. Each cat had 7 kittens. Kitten, cats, sacks, wives. How many were going to St. Ives?
10. Name this open air Cornish theatre?
Who started creating it in 1929?
11. Name the Cornish village that was flooded fairly recently? Amazingly, no lives were lost.
What year was it?
12. Name this most southerly tip of the UK?
Nearest guess. How many miles is it to John O'Groats?
13. Where is this ship heading, from Penzance?
Can you name some of the islands?
14. Name this Cornish pie?
What fish are looking skywards?
15. Name this Cornish savoury treat?
For which group of workers was the dish originally created for?
16. Name this dense Cornish cake?
What five simple ingredients do you think are used in making it?
17. True or False. 'Cornish Cream Tea' has clotted cream on top. Devon has it on the bottom?
What type of jam do you use?
18. Who wrote the novel about smuggling called 'Jamaica Inn'?
On which moor would you find the inn?
19. Name this doctor?
Who played him?
20. Who is this? She lives in Fowey.
What was the name of her hit TV series where she played a female vicar?
21. Name this TV series?
Name the actor?
22. Which Gilbert & Sullivan operetta has a Cornish place name in its title?
23. Name this classic 1940 Hitchcock movie?
Which characters are pictured here?
24. Name the 2019 movie, about sea shanty singers from Port Isaac?
What flavour are the cough sweets of the same name?
25. Name this 2004 movie set in 'Prussia Cove'?
Which two Dames starred in the movie about a young Polish man washed up on the beach?
26. Name this TV chef and his dog (which is the name given to a popular Cornish lager)?
How much is his net worth?
27. Name this TV chef, who has recently brought a beach house in Rock?
What was the name of his most successful TV cooking contest show?
28. Who are the Duke & Duchess Of Cornwall?
What was the name of his grandmother?
29. SONG. 'Padstow May Day Song' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yol4Y7rdew
True or False. The saying 'Pride Of Place' comes from the Manor House 'Prideaux Place' in Padstow?
30. SONG. 'Men Of The Sea', TV Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9hxIC7N_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BS8QeWPzi0 (Short TV intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BS8QeWPzi0 (And a clip of Rick Stein talking about his love of Cornwall)
Name some fish that Cornish fisherman catch?
31. SONG. 'The Floral Dance', Terry Wogan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y4HufJ1oE
What was the name of his most popular TV quiz show?
CLOSING SONG. 'What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor', 'Fisherman's Friends' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52g7ak47IZo
Finish with a good old fashioned sing along.
1. Kernow / St Piran's
2. Truro / It is the only city
3. Padstow / Rick Stein
4. St Michael's Mount / Mont Sant Michel in Normandy
5. Tintagel / King Arthur
6. 'Eden' / The biomes contain tropical and mediterranean forest gardens
7. 'The Lost Gardens Of Heligan' / Mevagissey
8. Fistral Bay / 'Hen' and 'Stag Dos'
9. St Ives / One
10. 'Minack Theatre' / Rowena Cade
11. Boscastle / 2004
12. Lands End / 603 miles as the crow flies
13. The Scilly Isles / St Mary's. St Agnes, Tresco, St Martin's & Bryher
14. 'Stargazey Pie' / Pilchards
15. 'Cornish Pasty' / Tin Miners
16. 'Hevva (Heavy) Cake' / Flour, Butter, Dried Fruit, Sugar & Milk
17. True / Strawberry
18. Daphne Du Maurier / Bodmin Moor
19. 'Doc Martin' / Martin Clunes
20. Dawn French / 'The Vicar Of Dibley'
21. 'Poldark' / Aiden Quinn
22. 'Pirates Of Penzance'
23. 'Rebecca' / The second Mrs De Winter (she was never given a name in the book) & Mrs Danvers
24. 'Fishermans Friends' / Menthol & Eucalyptus
25. 'Ladies In Lavender' / Dames Maggie Smith & Judi Dench
26. Rick Stein & Chalky ('Chalky's Bite') / £32m
27. Gordon Ramsay / 'Hell's Kitchen'
28. Charles & Camilla / Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons
30. A point for every fish mentioned
31. 'Blankety Blank'