(Photo courtesy of our friend and colleague Karen Warlow, whose son Luke is currently touring Australia)
Ask members if anyone has visited Australia? Would they like to?
Has anyone any relatives living there?
What do people think of the country? What about the wildlife?
Do people know any 'Aussies'?
Ask members to complete these Australian inspired idioms ...
“Don’t blow your own - TRUMPET.”
“A bad worker blames his - TOOLS.”
“A bird in the hand is worth two in the - BUSH.”
“The grass looks greener on the other side of the - FENCE.”
“There is a thin line between love and - HATE.”
“You can’t teach an old dog new - TRICKS.”
“You might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a - LAMB.”
"You can’t judge a book by its - COVER."
“He who laughs last, laughs - LONGEST.”
“Faint heart never won fair - LADY.”
"A stitch in time saves - NINE."
"A watched pot never - BOILS."
"The pot calls the kettle - BLACK."
"Actions speak louder than - WORDS."
"After the storm comes the - CALM."
"Bad news travels - FAST."
"Better safe than - SORRY."
"Blood is thicker than - WATER."
"Call a spade a - SPADE."
"Cut your coat according to the - CLOTH."
"Charity begins at - HOME."
"Absence makes the heart grow - FONDER."
"Familiarity breeds - CONTEMPT."
"Don’t count your chickens before they are - HATCHED."
"Empty vessels make the most - SOUND."
"Don’t look a gift horse in the - MOUTH."
"God helps those who help - THEMSELVES."
"If you lie down with dogs, you’ll get up with - FLEAS."
"Once bitten, twice - SHY."
"One good turn deserves - ANOTHER."
"To each his - OWN."
"One man’s meat is another man’s - POISON."
And my favourite ...
"Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you’re a mile away and - HAVE THEIR SHOES."
Ask members to guess at the meanings of these Australian slang words ...
Chunder - BE SICK
Budgie smugglers - TIGHT BATHERS
Sheila - WOMAN
Amber nectar - LAGER
Dunny - TOILET
Fair dinkum - FAIR ENOUGH
Mates rates - CHEAP DEAL
A Pommy - A BRIT
Tinny - CAN OF LAGER
Wedgie - PULL UP SOMEONE'S PANTS TO CAUSE DISCOMFORT
G’Day mate - HELLO
No worries - OKAY
Feeling crook - UNWELL
Barbie - BARBEQUE
Bruce - MAN
Your shout - YOUR ROUND
You little ripper - YOU BEAUTY
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Culture
1. Who was the first European in 1770 was to explore and map the eastern coastline of Australia?
2. Between 1788 and 1868, 608 ships transported more than how many convicts to Australia?
3. True or False. HM Queen Elizabeth 11 is constitutional monarch and head of state of Australia?
4. What are native Australians called?
5. Which are native New Zealanders called?
6. What is the name of this Australian musical instrument?
7. And this traditional Australian weapon?
8. What is the name of the ceremonial dance the All Blacks perform before rugby matches?
Here is a link to the Haka (All Blacks vs England) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw
9. SONG. ‘Waltzing Matilda’, Australia Patriotic Song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yILM3L2sXM
What is a ‘Billabong’, as mentioned in this old bush ballad?
ROUND 2. Animals
10. ‘Skippy The Bush Kangaroo’ - link to TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByob-5pPEs&t=91s
What is a baby Kangaroo called?
11. 'Flipper' - link to TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PqrTZsho0&t=76s
What creature is ‘Flipper’?
12. Koalas eat a diet exclusively of what?
13. Which Australian bird did Rod Hull model his puppet on?
Who did he attack when appearing on his chat show in 1976?
14. What is the name given to the only egg laying mammal living, which is native to Eastern Australia?
15. What is the name of this wild Australian dog?
16. What is the name of this little varmint, native to an island state of Australia?
17. Which is the most dangerous creature in Australia, i.e. which caused the most human deaths between 2008-17?
- Horses and Cows
- Spiders, or
18. SONG. 'I Should Be So Lucky', Kylie Minogue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_TvpBwSZDM
Complete these other Kylie song titles:
- 'The Loco- ******'
- 'Especially For ***'
- 'Hand On Your *****'
- 'Wouldn't Change A *****'
- 'Tears On My ******'
- 'Better The Devil You ****'
- 'Step Back In ****'
ROUND 3. Places
19. What is the proper (Aboriginal) name for 'Ayers Rock'?
20. What is the name of the structure made of coral off the coast of Queensland in North East Australia? (It stretches for more than 1,250 miles long and makes up an area of 135,000 square miles)
21. In which year was 'Sydney Opera House' opened by Queen Elizabeth? (Nearest guess)
22. What is the name of the most famous surfing beach in Australia (it is in Sydney)?
23. 'Sydney Harbour Bridge' is one of those landmarks across the world where you see the fireworks on New Year's Eve. How many hours ahead of us are they in New South Wales?
(Do any members fancy climbing over it?)
24. The Australian flag is based on which British maritime flag?
25. SONG. ‘Land Down Under’, Men At Work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
What is the English version of Vegemite? (Do members love it or hate it?)
ROUND 4. TV & Film
26. Who starred in the 1980s drama ‘The Thorn Birds’?
Here is a link to the TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQXWxcjMGw
27. What was the name of the prison in 'Prisoner Cell Bock H'?
Here is a link to the TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1iAwlhsnQ
28. What is the name of the cul de sac where 'Neighbours' is set?
29. What is the name of the fictional coastal town in 'Home And Away'?
30. Which hit BBC TV show did the 1992 movie ‘Strictly Ballroom’ inspire?
31. What is the name of this 1994 movie about a group of drag act friends who take their act on the road?
32. In the 1994 movie 'Muriel's Wedding', Muriel is obsessed with ABBA. What are the names of the two female singers in ABBA?
Here is a link to their 'Waterlooo' dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqti-Sxsxk4
33. Filmed in New Zealand and released in 2001-3, what was the name of the wizard in ‘Lord Of The Rings’ and which actor played him?
34. SONG. 'Summer Lovin', Grease - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0DfsCzfq4
Which UK number 1 hit did Olivia Newton-John have with E.L.O. in 1980?
How old is she?
ROUND 5. People
35. What flower is Dame Edna Everage associated with?
36. Complete the name of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Jason Donovan starred in from 1990-93?
JOSEPH AND HIS -
37. Which Page 3 model did Peter Andre marry in 2005? (They later divorced in 2009)
38. Which electronic musical instrument did Rolf Harris advertise in the 1970s?
39. Name this famous Australian cricket player?
40. Name this character and movie star?
41. Which presenter duo host ITV’s ‘I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here’ each year?
42. Name this actor, who starred in the 1995 movie 'Braveheart'?
43. Name this actor, who starred in the 2000 movie 'Gladiator'?
44. Name this (now divorced) Hollywood couple?
45. Name this actor, who starred in the 2012 musical movie 'Les Miserables'?
46. SONG. 'Two Little Boys', Rolf Harris - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmL3m2zcoOI
Complete his other hit song titles:
Tie Me Kangaroo - **** *****
Sun - *****
Jake The - ***
Encourage members to get up and dance their best moves.
BONUS SONG. 'Xanadu', Olivia Newton-John & E.L.O. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLi8fTlDEag