(Photo courtesy of our friend and colleague Karen Warlow, whose son Luke is currently touring Australia)
Ask members if anyone has visited Australia? What did they think of their time there?
If members have not visited, would they like to?
Has anyone any friends or relatives living there?
What do people think of the country? What about the wildlife?
Do people know any 'Aussies'?
Ask members to complete (some of) these Australian inspired idioms ...
“Don’t blow your own - TRUMPET.”
“A bad worker blames his - TOOLS.”
“A bird in the hand is worth two in the - BUSH.”
“The grass looks greener on the other side of the - FENCE.”
“There is a thin line between love and - HATE.”
“You can’t teach an old dog new - TRICKS.”
“You might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a - LAMB.”
"You can’t judge a book by its - COVER."
“He who laughs last, laughs - LONGEST.”
“Faint heart never won fair - LADY.”
"A stitch in time saves - NINE."
"A watched pot never - BOILS."
"The pot calls the kettle - BLACK."
"Actions speak louder than - WORDS."
"After the storm comes the - CALM."
"Bad news travels - FAST."
"Better safe than - SORRY."
"Blood is thicker than - WATER."
"Call a spade a - SPADE."
"Cut your coat according to the - CLOTH."
"Charity begins at - HOME."
"Absence makes the heart grow - FONDER."
"Familiarity breeds - CONTEMPT."
"Don’t count your chickens before they are - HATCHED."
"Empty vessels make the most - SOUND."
"Don’t look a gift horse in the - MOUTH."
"God helps those who help - THEMSELVES."
"If you lie down with dogs, you’ll get up with - FLEAS."
"Once bitten, twice - SHY."
"One good turn deserves - ANOTHER."
"To each his - OWN."
"One man’s meat is another man’s - POISON."
And my favourite ...
"Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you’re a mile away and - HAVE THEIR SHOES."
Ask members to guess at (some of) the meanings of these Australian slang words ...
Chunder - BE SICK
Budgie smugglers - TIGHT BATHERS
Sheila - WOMAN
Amber nectar - LAGER
Dunny - TOILET
Fair dinkum - FAIR ENOUGH
Mates rates - CHEAP DEAL
A Pommy - A BRIT
Tinny - CAN OF LAGER
Wedgie - PULL UP SOMEONE'S PANTS TO CAUSE DISCOMFORT
G’Day mate - HELLO
No worries - OKAY
Feeling crook - UNWELL
Barbie - BARBEQUE
Bruce - MAN
Your shout - YOUR ROUND
You little ripper - YOU BEAUTY
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Culture
1. Who was the first European in 1770 was to explore and map the eastern coastline of Australia?
2. Between 1788-1868, 608 ships transported more than how many convicts to Australia?
3. True or False. HM Queen Elizabeth 11 is constitutional monarch and head of state of Australia?
4. What are native Australians called?
5. Which are native New Zealanders called?
6. What is the name of this Australian musical instrument?
7. What is the name of this traditional Australian weapon? (Did anyone have one?)
8. What is the name of the ceremonial dance the All Blacks perform before rugby matches?
Here's a link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw
9. SONG. ‘Waltzing Matilda’, Australia Patriotic Song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yILM3L2sXM
What is a ‘Billabong’, as mentioned in this old bush ballad?
ROUND 2. Animals
10. ‘Skippy The Bush Kangaroo’ - link to TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByob-5pPEs&t=91s
What is a baby Kangaroo called?
11. 'Flipper' - link to TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PqrTZsho0&t=76s
What creature is ‘Flipper’?
12. Koalas eat a diet exclusively of what?
13. Which Australian bird did Rod Hull model his puppet on?
Who did he attack when appearing on his chat show in 1976?
Here's a clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kek1vs6bM2k
14. What is the name given to the only egg laying mammal living, which is native to Eastern Australia?
15. What is the name of this wild Australian dog?
16. What is the name of this little varmint, native to an island state of Australia?
17. Which is the most dangerous creature in Australia, i.e. which caused the most human deaths between 2008-17?
- Horses and Cows
- Crocodiles, or
18. SONG. 'I Should Be So Lucky', Kylie Minogue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_TvpBwSZDM
Complete these other Kylie song titles:
- 'The Loco- ******'
- 'Especially For ***'
- 'Hand On Your *****'
- 'Better The Devil You ****'
- 'Can't Get You Out Of ** ****'
ROUND 3. Places
19. What is the proper (Aboriginal) name for 'Ayers Rock'?