“A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles.” - William Hazlitt
Ask members to say what or who makes them smile. Have they a favourite comedy clip or joke? If so, build these into the activity.
This session is largely based on classic TV comedy clips, which will be held in long-term memory for many. Its main aim is to promote smiling and laughter, which as they say is 'the best medicine'. But a few questions to stimulate recall are also included for added cognitive stimulation. Give first names to simplify as necessary.
Ask members to complete the following phrases together:
- Smile from ear to EAR
- Grin like a Cheshire CAT
- Crack a SMILE
- Put a smile on someone's FACE
- Grin and BEAR IT
- Smile and the world smiles with you; cry and you cry ALONE
- Cheer UP
- Good for a LAUGH
- Her face lit UP
- Laugh your head OFF
- The cat who got the CREAM
- Have the last LAUGH
- Smile, it might never HAPPEN
- Smile, you're on candid CAMERA
- Turn that frown UPSIDE DOWN
- It only hurts when I LAUGH
- Say CHEESE
What do these acronyms stand for ...
LOL - Laugh Out Loud (There is a story that David Cameron used LOL in a text to a friend who had just lost a relative, thinking it stood for 'Lots Of Love'. Oops!)
ROLF - Rolling On The Floor Laughing
At this point, for members who wish to, you could take a group photograph of people smiling and having a laugh.
You could add in some wigs, glasses, false moustaches etc to make it even funnier.
Show the picture around the room. Better still, print to off to have it on display.
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
1. SONG. 'When You're Smiling', Louis Armstrong -
What was his nickname?
2. 'VICAR OF DIBLEY'
End Jokes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09tembWgx8
'Wrong Church' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TYGU6OcXk
'Puddle' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqkLc1Xf8Q
What are the names of the vicar and verger?
3. 'MR BEAN'
'High Dive' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFY0PJO-c20&t=4s
Who plays the character Mr Bean?
4. 'ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES' - INTRO THEME
'Bar' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8
'Chandelier' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc&t=9s
'Auction' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIIkQO95z4
Name the two lead actors?
5. 'THE TWO RONNIES'
'Fork Handles' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNTM9iM1eVw
'Mastermind' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0C59pI_ypQ
What were their surnames?
6. SONG. 'Trail Of The Lonesome Pine', Laurel & Hardy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qApsAPnoH7c
What 1939 film did this song come from?
What were their Christian names?
7. 'CARRY ON CAMPING'
“And Fling!” sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtb2KONpUQ (With a Vic & Bob 'Shooting Stars' parody at the end.
Name the two older 'Carry On' actors?
8. 'SOME MOTHERS DO 'AV 'EM'
'Rollerskates' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLpwRMS00g
Name the two lead actors?
Ask members to do their best "Oo Betty!"
9. 'DAD'S ARMY' - INTRO THEME - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LZIhF-2QQ
'Don't tell him Pike' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYz2nPE0BCk&t=3s
Who played Captain Mainwaring and Private Pike?
10. 'FAWLTY TOWERS'
'Room with a view' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc
Name the Spanish waiter and the actor who played him?
Rearrange the F.A.W.L.T.Y.T.O.W.E.R.S. letters into the anagram signs which started each episode?
11. MONTY PYTHON'S 'LIFE OF BRIAN - TV TITLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxiATxLofk
“What have the Romans ever done for us?” sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc
Name the members of 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'?
12. SONG. 'Ernie', Benny Hill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI
What was the name of his horse?
13. 'GAVIN AND STACEY'
'Where's the salad' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLU4O5YqpQc
Who played the part of Uncle Bryn?
14. 'THE HARRY ENFIELD SHOW'
'Who does one think one is?' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQhdu6pQXs
Which comedians appear in this sketch?
15. 'DAVE ALLEN AT LARGE'
'£10 note' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-iF45pOlI
'Dart' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu1TcOpJm2s
What religion was Dave Allen?
16. KENNY EVERETT & BILLY CONNOLLY
'Agnes & Grace' sketch - https://fb.watch/fTQtWqPuwD/
'Corn Plasters' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRdklb05gk
What is Billy Connolly's nickname?
17. SONG. 'Happiness', Ken Dodd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHQIPS68ws
What were his little friends called and where did they come from?
18. 'TOMMY COOPER'
'Spot' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMRJMEJW2k
Where in Wales would you find a statue dedicated to him?
What was his catchphrase?
19. 'MORECOMBE AND WISE' - 'Bring Me Sunshine' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxiV02ou-z0 (lyrics included for a singalong)
'Breakfast' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgdhZGLJrY
What were their Christian names?
Can anyone do the closing dance?
20. VICTORIA WOOD 'AS SEEN ON TV'
‘Two Soups’ sketch - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=599177313839263
What was Julia Walters character called in 'Acorn Antiques'?
21. 'THE ROYALE FAMILY'
'Breast implants' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DARSIF3QXtA
Which TV soap did Ricky Tomlinson and Sue Johnson first star in together?
22. 'THE OFFICE'
'Charity dance' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Eaz-1_3iA
Who wrote and starred in 'The Office'?
Where was it set?
23. 'BLACKADDER GOES FOURTH'
'General Melchett visits the troops' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDQ1ljlnSjU&t=30s
Who played General Melchett?
Which vegetable did Baldrick love?
24. SONG. 'I'm A Lumberjack', Michael Palin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts
Which travel show did he present in the late 1980s?
25. 'THE ONE RONNIE'
'I've got a problem with my Apple!' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI
How tall was Ronnie Corbett?
26. 'ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS'
'Wine tasting' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K706oNKwVF0
Name the two lead actresses and their characters?
27. 'NOT THE NINE O'CLOCK NEWS'
'Gordon The Gorilla' sketch - https://www.facebook.com/ClassicComedyUK/videos/1929750117080908/
Name the four comedians?
28. 'GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME'
'Going for an English' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uEx_hEXAM
Who sang the song on which this show is based?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUZCXaStvnc
29. 'ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE'
'Telephone' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tiNwOpZ68
Who starred as Victor Meldrew?
What was his catchphrase?
30. 'FATHER TED'
'Car Raffle' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4fBbhyzE9A
Name the priests and the housekeeper?
31. 'THE GOLDEN GIRLS'
'Condoms' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0JJE1rXWY
Name the cast?
31. SONG. 'Walking On Sunshine', Katrina And The Waves -
What was their Eurovision winning song in 1997?
32. 'Feeling Good', Nina Simone -
What was her hit song when the video portrayed her as a plasticine cat?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSbUOoq4Vg
33. SONG. 'Make Me Smile', Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel -
Ask members to list things that make them smile?
Ask members if I missed any classic comedy moments and find them on YouTube
BEST 50 JOKES EVER (ALLEGEDLY!)
(According to the 'Daily Record'_
Finish by reading out a few of these jokes.
1. A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The bus driver says: ''Ugh, that's the ugliest baby I've ever seen!'' The woman walks to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: ''The driver just insulted me!'' The man says: ''You go up there and tell him off. Go on, I'll hold your monkey for you.''
2. ''I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.''
3. ''Dyslexic man walks into a bra.''
4. A young blonde woman is distraught because she fears her husband is having an affair, so she goes to a gun shop and buys a handgun. The next day she comes home to find her husband in bed with a beautiful redhead. She grabs the gun and holds it to her own head. The husband jumps out of bed, begging and pleading with her not to shoot herself. Hysterically the blonde responds to the husband, ''Shut up...you're next!''
5. A classic Tommy Cooper gag - ''I said to the Gym instructor "Can you teach me to do the splits?'' He said, ''How flexible are you?'' I said, ''I can't make Tuesdays''.
6. Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one - and let the other one off.
7. Two aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married. The ceremony was rubbish - but the reception was brilliant.
8. Doc, I can't stop singing the 'Green Green Grass of Home'. He said: 'That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome'. 'Is it common?' I asked. 'It's not unusual' he replied.
9. I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already.
10. A man walks into a bar with a roll of tarmac under his arm and says: ''Pint please, and one for the road.''
11. I went to the doctors the other day and I said, 'Have you got anything for wind?' So he gave me a kite.
12. My mother-in-law fell down a wishing well. I was amazed, I never knew they worked.
13. I saw this bloke chatting up a cheetah; I thought, ''He's trying to pull a fast one''.
14. A woman has twins, and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named 'Amal.' The other goes to a family in Spain, they name him 'Juan'. Years later; Juan sends a picture of himself to his mum. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wished she also had a picture of Amal. Her husband responds, ''But they are twins. If you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal.''
15. There's two fish in a tank, and one says ''How do you drive this thing?''
16. I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day, but I couldn't find any.
17. When Susan's boyfriend proposed marriage to her she said: ''I love the simple things in life, but I don't want one of them for my husband''.
18. ''My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that.''
19. I rang up British Telecom, I said, ''I want to report a nuisance caller'', he said ''Not you again''.
20. I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes last week, phoned her up to arrange a date but unfortunately she'd popped her clogs.
21. A jump-lead walks into a bar. The barman says ''I'll serve you, but don't start anything'.'
22. Slept like a log last night........ Woke up in the fireplace.
23. A priest, a rabbi and a vicar walk into a bar. The barman says, ''Is this some kind of joke?''
24. A sandwich walks into a bar. The barman says ''Sorry we don't serve food in here''
25. The other day I sent my girlfriend a huge pile of snow. I rang her up, I said ''Did you get my drift?''.
26. I cleaned the attic with the wife the other day. Now I can't get the cobwebs out of her hair.
27. Went to the paper shop - it had blown away.
28. A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. ''But why?'' they asked, as they moved off. ''because,'' he said ''I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.''
29. I was in Tesco's and I saw this man and woman wrapped in a barcode. I said, ''Are you two an item?''
30. I'm in great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition and I won a years supply of Marmite......... one jar.
31. So I went to the Chinese restaurant and this duck came up to me with a red rose and says ''Your eyes sparkle like diamonds''. I said, ''Waiter, I asked for a-ROMATIC duck''.
32. Four fonts walk into a bar the barman says ''Oi - get out! We don't want your type in here.''
33. I was having dinner with Garry Kasporov (world chess champion) and there was a check tablecloth. It took him two hours to pass me the salt.
34. There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest. He sent in ten different puns, in the hope that at least one of the puns would win. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.
35. I went down the local supermarket, I said, ''I want to make a complaint, this vinegar's got lumps in it'', he said, "Those are pickled onions''.
36. I backed a horse last week at ten to one. It came in at quarter past four.
37. I swear, the other day I bought a packet of peanuts, and on the packet it said ''May contain nuts.'' Well, YES! That's what I bought the buggers for! You'd be annoyed if you opened it and a socket set fell out!''
38. A lorry-load of tortoises crashed into a trainload of terrapins. What a turtle disaster.
39. My phone will ring at 2 in the morning, and my wife'll look at me and go, ''Who's that calling at this time?" ''I don't know! If I knew that we wouldn't need the bloody phone!''
40. I said to this train driver ''I want to go to Paris". He said ''Eurostar?'' I said, ''I've been on telly, but I'm no Dean Martin''.
41. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly. But when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it.
42. I've got a friend who's fallen in love with two school bags, he's bisatchel.
43. You see my next-door neighbour worships exhaust pipes, he's a catholic converter.
44. A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the Old West. He slides up to the bar and announces: ''I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.''
45. I tried water polo, but my horse drowned.
46. I'll tell you what I love doing more than anything: trying to pack myself in a small suitcase. I can hardly contain myself.
47. So I met this gangster who pulls up the back of people's pants, it was Wedgie Kray.
48. Went to the corner shop - bought four corners.
49. A seal walks into a club...
50. I went to the Doctors the other day, and he said, 'Go to Bournemouth, it's great for flu'. So I went - and I got it.
2. GERALDINE GRAINGER & ALICE TINKER
3. ROWAN ATKINSON
4. DAVID JASON & NICHOLAS LYNDHURST
5. RONNIE BARKER & RONNIE CORBERT
6. 'WAY OUT WEST'
STAN & OLLIE
7. HATTIE JAQUES & KENNETH WILLIAMS
8. MICHAEL CRAWFORD & MICHELLE DOTRICE
9. ARTHUR LOWE & IAN LAVENDER
10. MANUEL / ANDREW SACHS
WARTY TOWELS, FLAY OTTERS, WATERY FOWLS, FATTY OWLS, FLOWERY TWATS, FARTY TOWELS
11. JOHN CLEESE, ERIC IDLE, MICHAEL PALIN, GRAHAM CHAPMAN, TERRY JONES & TERRY GILLIAM
13. ROB BRYDON
14. HARRY ENFIELD & DAVID WALLIAMS
16. 'THE BIG YIN'
17. THE DIDDYMEN FROM NOTTY ASH
18. OUTSIDE CAERPHILLY CASTLE / "JUST LIKE THAT!"
19. ERIC & ERNIE
20. BODICEA OVERALL
22. RICKY GERVAIS / SLOUGH
23. STEPHEN FRY / TURNIP
24. 'AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS'
25. 5 FOOT 1 INCH
26. EDINA MONSOON / JENNIFER SAUNDERS & JOANNA LUMLEY / PATSY STONE
27. GRIFF REES-JONES, MEL SMITH, ROWAN ATKINSON & PAMELA STEPHENSON
28. PETER SELLERS & SOPHIA LOREN
29. RICHARD WILSON / "I don't believe it!"
30. FATHERS TED, DOUGAL & JACK AND MRS DOYLE
31. BEA ARTHUR (DOROTHY ZBORNAK), BETTY WHITE (ROSE NYLUND), RUE MCCLANAHAN (BLANCHE DEVEREAUX) & ESTELLE GETTY (SOPHIA PETRILLO)
32. 'LOVE SHINE A LIGHT'
33. 'MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME'
34. JOKES, PRAT FALLS, BEING TICKLED, OTHER PEOPLE LAUGHING, COMEDIES