“A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles.” William Hazlitt
Ask members to say what makes them smile. Have they a favourite comedy clip or joke? If so, build these into the activity.
This session is largely based on classic TV comedy clips, which will be held in long-term memory for many. Its main aim is to promote smiling and laughter, which as they say is 'the best medicine'. But a few questions to stimulate recall are also included for fun. Give first names to simplify as necessary.
Ask members to complete the following phrases together:
- Smile from ear to EAR
- Grin like a Cheshire CAT
- Crack a SMILE
- Put a smile on someone's FACE
- Grin and BEAR IT
- Smile and the world smiles with you; cry and you cry ALONE
- Belly LAUGH
- Cheer UP
- Good for a LAUGH
- Her face lit UP
- Have the last LAUGH
- Laugh your head OFF
- The cat who got the CREAM
- Smile, it might never HAPPEN
- Smile, you're on candid CAMERA
- Turn that frown UPSIDE DOWN
- It only hurts when I LAUGH
- Say CHEESE
At this point, for members who wish to, you could take a group photograph of people smiling and having a laugh.
You could add in some wigs, glasses, false moustaches etc to make it even funnier.
Show the picture around the room. Better still, print to off to have it on display.
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
1. SONG. 'When You're Smiling', Louis Armstrong -
What was his nickname?
2. 'VICAR OF DIBLEY'
'Wrong church' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TYGU6OcXk
What are the names of the vicar and verger?
3. 'MR BEAN'
'High dive' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFY0PJO-c20&t=4s
Who plays the character Mr Bean?
4. 'ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES' - INTRO THEME
'Bar' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8
Chandelier' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc&t=9s
Auction' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIIkQO95z4
Name the two lead actors?
5. 'THE TWO RONNIES'
'Fork handles' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNTM9iM1eVw
'Mastermind' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0C59pI_ypQ
What were their surnames?
6. SONG. 'Trail Of The Lonesome Pine', Laurel & Hardy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qApsAPnoH7c
What 1939 film did this song come from?
What were their Christian names?
7. 'CARRY ON CAMPING'
“And fling!” sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtb2KONpUQ (With a Vic & Bob 'Shooting Stars' parody at the end.
Name the two older 'Carry On' actors at the end of this sketch?
8. 'SOME MOTHERS DO 'AV 'EM'
'Rollerskates' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLpwRMS00g
Name the two lead actors?
Ask members to do their best "Oo Betty!"
9. 'DAD'S ARMY' - INTRO THEME - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LZIhF-2QQ
'Don't tell him Pike' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YMVPXmaKds
Who played Captain Mainwaring and Private Pike?
10. 'FAWLTY TOWERS'
'Room with a view' sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc
Name the Spanish waiter and the actor who played him?
Rearrange the letters into the anagram signs?
11. MONTY PYTHON'S 'LIFE OF BRIAN - TV TITLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxiATxLofk
“What have the Romans ever done for us?” sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc&t=1s
Name the members of 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'?
12. SONG. 'Ernie', Benny Hill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI
What was the name of his horse?