Now that pubs and restaurants are open again, we thought that we would have a theme of 'TV Chefs' and a focus on food and drink generally. It was also 'World Baking Day' on 16th May.
We asked members to come to the virtual 'Cariad Dementia Cafe' session armed with details of their favourite meal and restaurant, with a photograph if they had one.
We then discussed our food likes and dislikes, or as they say on 'Saturday Kitchen', our food 'heaven' and 'hell'.
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz.
ROUND 1. TV Chefs (Part 1)
1. Name the judges from the original 'Great British Bake Off'?
2. What about 'Master Chef'?
3. Who presented 'Saturday Morning Kitchen' until recently?
4. Who is the resident chef on ITV's 'This Morning'?
5. Name this TV and his (until recently) celebrity wife?
6. Name this presenter of the afternoon show 'Ready Steady Cook'?
7. Name this TV chef? Who was her politician father?
8. SONG. 'My Favourite Things', Julie Andrews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGABqdbtQnA
Listen carefully, which two food items are named in the song?
ROUND 2. Foods From Yesteryear (Part 1)
9. What are ‘Opal Fruits’ called now?
10. What is a ‘Marathon’ now called?
11. What year was ‘Pot Noodle’ launched?
12. What were these alien robots advertising?
13. Which company made ‘Angel Delight’?
14. What is ‘SPAM’ an acronym for?
Here is a link to the wonderful 'Monty Python' SPAM sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bW4vEo1F4E
15. Which very famous public figure recently revealed that when travelling by train or air she likes nothing better than eating a 'Fray Bentos Pie'?
16. SONG. 'I Can't Let Maggie Go', The Honeybus -
Which sliced bread did this song advertise?
ROUND 3. TV Chefs (Part 2)
17. Who is this TV chef and which Cornish town did his show 'Taste Of The Sea' help put on the map?
18. Who is this TV chef and what was his bloodhound called?
19. Name these 'Two Fat Ladies'?
Clarissa ... ...
20. Name these 'Hairy Bikers'?
21. Which TV chef had a 'Chinese Cookery Show' in the 1980s?
22. Which TV chef had an 'Indian Cookery Show' in the 1980s?
(Do people prefer a Chinese meal or a curry? What are their favourite dishes?)
23. Who was known as 'The Naked Chef'?
24. SONG. 'Sugar, Sugar', The Archies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o
Name as many different types of sugar as you can?
ROUND 4. Foods From Yesteryear (Part 2)
25. Can you still buy a ‘Vesta Curry’?
26. Name this desert?
27. Which flower was ‘Evaporated Milk’ named after?
28. Name this character?
29. Name the flour?
30. Mr Kipling launched in 1967 with twenty different cakes. What are these called?
31. Which tea did chimps help to advertise in the 1970s?
32. SONG. 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing', The New Seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR0KElxxVg
Which drink did this song advertise in the 1970s?
ROUND 5. TV Chefs (Part 3)
33. Name these TV chefs (one of the first - their show started in 1955!)?
Fanny & Johnny ...
34. Who was 'The Galloping Gourmet'?
35. Who is this TV chef (James Martin now own his 2CV)?
36. Who had a hit TV series called 'Hell's Kitchen'? (I won't ask you his catchphrase!)
37. Who is this French TV chef?
38. Who is this TV and which football club is she associated with ("Let's be 'aving you!")?
39. Who are these 'Hungry Sailors'?
Dick & James ...
40. Who is this TV chef (she won 'The Great British Bake Off' in 2015)?
41. 'The Onion Song', Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell -
Putting a teaspoon in your mouth to stop yourself from crying when chopping an onion is known as 'An Old Wives Tale'. Can members think of any more, as the song plays?
42. 'Blueberry Hill', Fats Domino
Thinking of the TV chef Tom Kerridge, pictured below, how much weight do you think he has lost?
43. 'Strawberry Fields Forever', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUH9z_Oey8
While the song plays, ask members to note any TV Chefs or Foods From Yesteryear that we have missed?
1. Mary .... BERRY
Paul ..... HOLLYWOOD
2. John ... TERRODE
Greg .... WALLACE
3. James .... MARTIN
4. Gino ... DECAMPO
5. Phil ... VICKERY
Fern .... BRITTON
6. Ainsley ... HARRIOT
7. Nigella & Nigel ... LAWSON
8. CRISP APPLE STUDELS & SCHNIZEL (VEAL) WITH NOODLES
12. Cadbury's SMASH
14. SPECIAL PROCESSED AMERICAN MEAT
15. THE QUEEN
16. NIMBLE BREAD
17. Rick ... STEIN
18. Clement ... FREUD
19. Clarissa ... DICKSON-WRIGHT
Jennifer ... PATTERSON
20. Dave ... MYERS
Si ... KING
21. Ken ... HOM
22. Madhur ... JAFFREY
23. Jamie ... OLIVER
24. GRANULATED, CASTER, ICING, DEMERARA, CUBES, MOLASSES
26. ARTIC ROLL
28. PILSBURY DOUGH BOY
29. HOME PRIDE
30. FRENCH FANCIES
31. PG TIPS
32. COCA COLA
33. Fanny & Johnnie ... CRADDOCK
34. Graham ... KERR
35. Keith ... FLOYD
36. Gordon ... RAMSEY
37. Raymond ... BLANC
38. Delia ... SMITH
39. Dick & James ... STRAWBRIDGE
40. Nadiya ... HUSSEIN
41. FEED A COLD, STARVE A FEVER; HAIR OF THE DOG CURES A HANGOVER; CARROTS IMPROVE YOUR VISION; DONT SWIM UNTIL HALF AN HOUR AFTER EATING
42. 12 STONE
43. (OPEN ENDED)