It is 'Summer Solstice' this week, so putting this CST activities page out there again ...
We asked members to attend in hippie dress if they could, or at least their summer t-shirts and hats, to remember and celebrate 'The Summer Of Love' in 1967.
We started by asking members what they like best about the summer?
Have they a favourite place or beach to visit?
Has anyone got a memorable summer holiday they wish to share with the group?
Is there anything which is not so great about summer?
As usual, we had a series of pictures and questions for members, as well as some summer songs to sing along with.
IDIOMS ABOUT THE SUMMER
We asked members to complete these well known phrases, by way of a SHOUT OUT ...
'Evil Under The SUN'
Come rain or SHINE
One Swallow doesn't make a SUMMER
Little ray of SUNSHINE
Make hay while the SUN SHINES
The dog days of SUMMER
Not a cloud in the SKY
His head is in the CLOUDS
Fair weather FRIEND
Brighten up your DAY
'Like a cat on a hot tin ROOF'
Hot air BALLOON
Hot under the COLLAR
It's a SCORCHER
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ QUESTIONS
1. What is the proper name for 'Midsummer's Day', which is on 21st June this year?
2. How many hours and minutes daylight are there on the longest day (nearest guess)?
3. Which vitamin does sunlight give us?
What mineral is also needed alongside it for bone health?
4. What group of people worship at Stonehenge on Midsummer's Day?
5. What is an outdoors swimming pool called?
(Has anyone ever taken a swim in one of them?)
6. What was the hottest ever temperature recorded in the UK, in Cambridge Botanical Gardens on 25th July 2019?
7. Our first song was 'Summer Holiday', sung by Cliff Richard.
Link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxuapKdqIZw
Where were they headed/where did they end up?
8. What was the name of his backing group?
9. Where was the TV sitcom 'Fawlty Towers' set?
10. Where was Manuel from?
11. What was the holiday camp in the TV sitcom 'Hi Di Hi' called?
12. What part did Ruth Madoc play?
13. What was the name of the hotel in the TV sitcom 'Benidorm'?
14. What was the name of the hairdresser?
15. Name this TV detective and actor from the TV crime drama 'Midsomer Murders'?
16. How many deaths have there been in or around Midsomer since the show started in 1997?
17. Name these four characters from the TV sitcom 'Last Of The Summer Wine'?
18. Who is this? She hosted the TV holiday show 'Wish You Were Here'?
19. Our next song was 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On', from the musical 'Me And My Girl' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Rf849MUaE
We asked members to name as many hats as they could whilst this song played. (A point for each listed.)