After introductions, ask members of your CST group:
- 'Who likes wearing a bow tie?'
- 'Who prefers a regular tie?'
- 'Who prefers no tie at all?'
- 'Who would prefer to wear jeans and a t-shirt, versus 'black tie'?
- 'For those who do wear a tie or bow tie, whether regularly or occasionally, is it a proper one or a clip-on one?'
- 'For what occasions might you wear a tie or suit?
- 'At what occasions might you wear a bow tie or 'black tie'?'
- 'Has anyone still got a tuxedo or a 'posh frock' for a special occasion?' (Does it still fit?)
- 'Have a go at listing items you might wear to a formal 'do'?'
Here are some ideas to start you off:
- Dress shirt
- Dinner jacket
- Bow tie
- Dress shoes
- Dinner dress
- Ear rings
- High heels
Ask members to complete the following phrases, about things being tied:
- My hands are TIED (no option)
- Tied to your mother's apron STRINGS (a mummy's boy)
- Black TIE (formal dress)
- I could do it with my hands tied BEHIND MY BACK (easy peasy)
- Sever TIES (break bonds)
- Tie yourself in KNOTS (it's complicated)
- Blue collar WORKER (office worker)
- Tie up a few loose ENDS (finish something)
- A chain is only as strong as it's WEAKEST LINK (do people remember the quiz show, hosted by Anne Robinson)
- An Englishman's word is his BOND (you can trust him when he says he will do something)
- At the end of your ROPE (fed up)
- Clothes maketh the MAN (people are judged according to the way they are dressed)
- Fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a BUMPY NIGHT ('All About Eve')
- Money for old ROPE (getting paid for doing very little)
- The ties that BIND (family ties)
- Tongue TIED (too shy or embarrassed to speak)
- All dressed up and nowhere TO GO (plans that have been cancelled at the last minute)
- Best bib and TUCKER (best clothes)
- Birthday SUIT (as naked as the day you were born)
- Catch someone with their pants DOWN (catch someone committing a wrong doing)
- Dressed to KILL (stunning outfit)
- I'll eat my HAT ("I don't believe it!" - Victor Meldrew)
- Wear sackcloth and ASHES (as an apology for wrongdoing)
- Dressed up to the NINES (going to a special 'do')
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
* NB Give clues such as first names if people get stuck. Encourage comments and discussion about people pictured. Skip questions if people pictured aren’t recognised. Go off at tangents as members wish, eg play extra songs mentioned or show movie clips.
If you click on the first photo, a slide show will open ...
1. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete this line from one of his speeches: ”Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed ** ** **** ** ** ***."
2. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name his TV detective series?
3. Who is this bow tie wearer?
He was a TV news presenter with which network?
4. Who is this bow tie wearer?
As well as being a chat show host, what other two things is he famous for?
5. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which TV sci fi role did he play?
6. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which cookery show does he co-host?
7. Who are these bow tie wearers?
What character did they all play?
8. SONG BREAK. 'Live And Let Die', Wings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07Z_qfchFk
Who played 007 in 'Live And Let Die'?
9. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which comedian was he married to, until fairly recently?
10. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who was his comedy partner?
11. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Where was he born?
12. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete these film titles:
'The Maltese ******'
'The African *****'
'The Big *****'
13. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which breed of dog was his tramp character associated with?
14. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who was his famous actress aunt?
15. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What was his nickname?
16. SONG BREAK. 'My Way', Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAt5b1I1Gmk
Complete some of his song titles:
'Three Coins In The ********'
'Strangers In The *****'
'You Make Me Feel ** *****’
'I've Got You Under ** ****’
17. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which 2017 Hollywood movie did he dance in?
18. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name the 1971 movie?
19. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete some of his film titles:
'Love And *****'
'Play It Again ***'
'Hannah And Her *******'
20. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name the football club with which he is most associated?
21. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What dream came true for this young man recently?
22. Who are these bow tie wearers?
Name their wives?
23. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which group was he part of?
24. SONG BREAK. 'I've Gotta Be Me', Sammy Davis Jnr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaalq3RYAyw
Complete some of his song titles:
'Me And My *****'
'Talk To The *******'
'Rhythm Of ****'
25. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name his top selling movie series?
26. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which war on what did he start where in 2001?
27. Who is this bow tie wearer?
He won a 'Best Supporting Actor' Oscar for which 2000 movie - 'The Talented Mr ******'?
28. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Now a famous movie star, which TV series did he start out in?
29. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who is he secretly in love with?
30. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What is his job now?
31. Who is this bow tie wearer?
And his then girlfriend?
Complete some of his movie titles:
'Four Weddings And A *******'
'About A ***'
'Bridget Jones's *****'
32. SONG BREAK. 'She', Elvis Costello - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoJsiy26gc
Who recorded this song originally?
33. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete the title of his 1971 autobiography - 'The Moon's A *******'?
34. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete some of his film titles:
- 'Sleepless In *******'
- 'Cast ****'
- 'Forrest ****'
- 'The Da Vinci ****'
- 'Saving Private ****'
35. Who is this bow tie wearer?
How old is he now?
36. Who is this bow tie wearer?
With which TV presenter is he associated?
37. Who is this bow tie wearer?
With which political debate programme was he associated?
38. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What is his wife's name?
39. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which 2013 movie is this still taken from - 'The Great ******'?
40. SONG BREAK. 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon', Dawn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-RlLFxgCkk
What does an oak tree grow from?
You could stop here, BUT
Some girls wear bow ties!
Who are they?
41. Clue. German born American actress and singer.
42. Clue. 'Lara Croft Tomb Raider'
43. Clue. Princess of people's hearts.
44. Clue. American chat show host.
45. Clue. "Queen Of Pop".
46. Clue. "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This"
47. SONG BREAK. 'Sweet Dreams', Eurythmics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg
Who was her partner in 'The Eurythmics'?
48. SONG BREAK. 'We Have All The Time In The World', Louis Armstrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxRDTfzgpU
Which 1969 James Bond film used this song as it's theme tune?
49. SONG BREAK. 'Top Hat', Irving Berlin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZOJoV6H2UM
A dance video for members to enjoy! Which type of dance is predominant in this video?
50. LAST SONG. LAST DANCE. 'Millennium', Robbie Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk
Which movie are the orchestral parts copied from?
'Who can remember how to tie a bow tie, or a regular tie for that matter?'
Have one on stand by if possible, for members to test their skills with.
Here is an instructive video -
Or you could have a go at designing your own tie, bow tie or bow. Here are some templates (there are lots to choose from on the web!):
1. Winston Churchill
”Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by SO MANY TO SO FEW."
2. David Jason
'A TOUCH OF FROST'
3. Trevor McDonald
4. Graham Norton
AUTHOR & VINTNER
5. Matt Smith
6. Matt Lucas
'GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF'
7. Sean Connery, Daniel Craig & Pierce Brosnan
JAMES BOND - 007
8. Roger Moore
9. Lenny Henry
10. Stan Laurel
11. Cary Grant
12. Humphry Bogart
'The Maltese FALCON'
'The African QUEEN'
'The Big SLEEP'
13. Charlie Chaplin
14. George Clooney
15. Frank Sinatra
OLD BLUE EYES
16. 'Three Coins In The FOUNTAIN'
'Strangers In The NIGHT'
'You Make Me Feel SO YOUNG'
'I've Got You Under MY SKIN'
17. Ryan Gosling
'LA LA LAND'
18. Gene Wilder
'WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY'
19. Woody Allen
'Love And DEATH'
'Play It Again SAM'
'Hannah And Her SISTERS'
20. David Beckham
21. Tom Daley
Won Gold & Bronze medals for diving in the 2021 'Tokyo Olympics' (He also recently started a family with his husband Lance Black)
22. Prince Charles & Prince Harry
CAMILLA PARKER-BOWLES & MEGHAN MARKLE
23. Sammy Davis Jr
'THE RAT PACK' (With Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peter Lawford & Joey Bishop)
24. 'Candy MAN'
'Me And My SHADOW'
'Talk To The ANIMALS'
'Rhythm Of LIFE'
25. Keanu Reeves
26. George W Bush
'THE WAR ON TERROR' / AFGHANISTAN
27. Jude Law
'THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY'
28. Will Smith
'THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR'
29. Waylon Smithers
30. Boris Johnson
31. Hugh Grant & Liz Hurley
'Four Weddings And A FUNERAL'
'About A BOY'
'Bridget Jones's DIARY'
32. Charles Aznavour
33. David Niven
'THE MOON'S A BALLOON'
34. Tom Hanks
- 'Sleepless In SEATTLE'
- 'Cast AWAY'
- 'Forrest GUMP'
- 'The Da Vinci CODE'
- 'Saving Private RYAN'
35. Macaulay Culkin
36. Mr Blobby
37. Robin Day
38. Barack Obama
39. Leonardo De Caprio
'THE GREAT GATSBY'
41. Marlene Dietrich
42. Angelina Jolie
43. Princess Diana
44. Ellen Degeneres
46. Annie Lennox
47. Dave Stewart
48. 'ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE'
50. 'JAMES BOND: YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE'