Our theme for this week's virtual 'CST Friendship Group' s focused around 'Communication', as June 24 marks 'National Writing Day'.
We asked when was the last time anyone wrote a letter?
What about a postcard or birthday card?
What about an email or text message?
How much is a first and second class stamp these days? (First class 76p, Second class 65p)
We moved on to ask if members had a favourite piece of writing - a book, short story or poem?
We asked members to come to the session with their favourite piece of writing to hand, so they could read some lines out should they wish (or we could read for them).
Next, we completed these phrases together, by way of a shout out ...
Talk something OVER
Drop someone a LINE
Hot off the PRESS
Keep someone POSTED
Put somebody in the PICTURE
Like talking to a BRICK WALL
Straight from the horse’s MOUTH
Take something with a pinch of SALT
Beat around the BUSH
Beside the POINT
Bite your TONGUE
Bring someone up to SPEED
Call someone’s BLUFF
Clear the AIR
Get your wires CROSSED
Out of the LOOP
Keep something under your HAT
Pull somebody’s LEG
Get a word in EDGEWISE
Get something off your CHEST
Speak your MIND
To put it in a nut SHELL
Put your foot in your MOUTH
Get the MESSAGE
Stay in TOUCH
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
1. What telephone number would you call in an emergency?
What are the four main emergency services?
2. What number would you have called to reach the operator?
Does anyone remember having a party line?
3. What were the old black dialer telephones made out of?
Did anyone have one?
4. In a telephone box, when your money was running out, what would sound?
5. In a mobile phone, what card do you have to put inside to make a call?
6. Which UK city has a prefix dial code of 01633?
7. SONG. 'Hanging On The Telephone', by Blondie. Link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhkbDMISl8
What was the name of the lead singer with Blondie?
8. Who invented the long distance radio in 1901?
9. Who invented the telephone in 1876?
10. Who invented the television in 1927?
11. What is the name of this camera, introduced in 1900 by Eastmann Kodak?
12. What is the name of this more modern camera?
13. What is the name of this screen which was played in-between programmes?
What game are they playing?
14. SONG. 'Radio Ga Ga', by Queen. Link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMYCOYjIKrE
Who is pictured here and who is he married to?