"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
'Old Irish Blessing' "May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand."
This week's CST activities page was about Ireland and all things Irish. We began by asking if any members come from Ireland, have family there, or if they have holidayed there. Note if members have Irish Christian or surnames.
What do people think of Irish people and their accent? The countryside, the weather, the food.
IRISH IDIOMS Next, ask members to complete these well known phrases together ...
Top of the - MORNING It cost me an arm and a - LEG As happy as - LARRY Away with the - FAIRIES Running around like a headless - CHICKEN Not the full - SHILLING Take the weight off your - LEGS Chance your - ARM Donkey's - YEARS Thick as a - PLANK As fit as a - FIDDLE Lie down with dogs and you'll rise with - FLEAS Tinker's - CUSS The older the fiddle, the sweeter the - TUNE The luck of the - IRISH
That'll be - GRAND
To be - SURE
And guess at the meanings of these Irish inspired words ...
Gaff - HOUSE Shenanigans - MISCHIEF Eejit - IDIOT Smithereens - PIECES Brogues - SHOES Grand - PLEASANT Gallivanting - PARTYING Bang on - CORRECT Banjaxed - BROKEN Earwigging - LISTENING IN ON A PRIVATE CONVERSATION Fair play - WELL DONE Feck - SHOCK Fella - HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND Fierce - EXCELLENT Floozie - WOMAN OF DUBIOUS MORALS Gammy - ROTTEN Kip - SLEEP Knackered - EXHAUSTED Leg it - RUN AWAY Manky - DIRTY On the lash - GO OUT DRINKING
SONG. 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling', Ruby Murray - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TbLOxP2pUI
What can you hear in the lilt of Irish laughter? (listen carefully) THE ANGELS SING
What is a 'Ruby Murray' in Cockney rhyming slang?
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
Round 1. Facts & Legends
1. What is the Gaelic word for Ireland?
What do the colours of the Irish flag mean?
2. What are the two national emblems of Ireland?
3. Who is the Patron Saint of Ireland?
What is he said to have banished from Ireland?
4. What is the capital of Ireland? And the river that runs through it?
5. Where is the Northern Ireland devolved Assembly located (name the estate and city)?
6. 'The Troubles', where the IRA and Ulster Loyalists used violence to further their political and nationalistic ambitions for a united Ireland versus UK rule of Northern Ireland, thankfully ended in which year with 'The Good Friday Agreement'?
Which two leaders brokered the deal, which led to a devolved regional government?
7. What is the name of the national airline of Ireland?
Which Irish airline is the worst rated in Europe?
8. What was the name given to the currency of Southern Ireland?
What year did it change to the Euro?
9. What is the name given to the Irish Police Force?
What side of the road do you drive on in Ireland?
10. What was the period of mass starvation in Ireland from 1845 to 1852 called?
Nearest guess. How many people were lost to Ireland, due to death or emigration?
11. SONG. 'Sail Away', Enya - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrk4X9ACtw
Which Celtic band did she used to be in, playing keyboards and backing vocals? (They had a hit in 1983 with 'Theme From Harry's Game')
ROUND 2. Places & Food and drink
12. Where in County Cork would you kiss the 'Stone Of Eloquence'?
Which 'gift' will it give you?
13. What is the name of this natural coastal feature in County Antrim?
What igneous stone is it made from?
14. Where (in England) would you find this Catholic cathedral?
What do locals call it?
15. Where would you find the this 'Titanic' tourist attraction?
What date did the ship sink?
16. What is the longest river in Ireland?
What is a five line poem with a distinctive ryhthm called? Here's an example... There was an old man named Bill Who swallowed a nuclear pill The doctor said cough And that darn thing went off And they found his head in Brazil. (He was okay, but he had a terrible headache.)
17. What type of loaf is this?
Why is a cross cut into the top before baking?
18. What meat is traditionally used in 'Irish Stew'?
What is a ball of flour dough that you might put in an Irish Stew called?
19. What are 'Colcannon' and 'Champ'?
20. True or False. McDonald's introduced the 'Filet o'Fish' for Irish Catholics, who could not eat fish on a Friday?
21. What do the Irish call 'Guinness'?
Which bird was used to advertise it?
22. SONG. 'Molly Malone', The Dubliners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZJuR92s4w
Name as many shellfish as you can?
ROUND 3. People
23. Name this Irish poet and playwright? (He lived 16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
Complete this title of one of his works - 'The Picture Of ...... ....'
24. Name this Irish author? (He lived 2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941)
What was the name of his book containing Molly Bloom's soliloquy? - 'U.......'
25. Name the first gay man to be Irish President in 2017?
What is the proper name of the post?
26. Name this Irish TV presenter?
What was the name of the Cornish song which he had a top thirty hit with in 1978?
27. Name this Irish TV presenter?
What does he have in common with the chap above?
28. Name this Northern Irish footballer?
What was his nickname?
29. Name this Irish boxer?
What was his nickname?
30. Name this Irish rugby union captain (2003-12)?
What is the name of the Irish stadium?
31. Name this Irish singer who fronted 'Live Aid' in 1984?
What was the name of his band?
32. Name this famous Irish singer?
What piece of furniture did he usually sit on?
Here's a link to one of his most recognisable songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x76tT_oCeI
33. 'Riverdance' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v_pu6miJ8
Name the two lead dancers?
ROUND 4. TV & Film
34. Name the 1952 movie?
And the actors?
35. Name the 1968 movie?
And the actor?
36. Name the 1970 movie?
And the actor?
37. Name the 1989 movie?
And the actor?
38. Name the 2013 movie?
And the actors pictured here?
39. Name this Irish James Bond?
Can you name any of his four Bond movies?
40. Name the Irish actor?
Which 1962 movie directed by David Lean did he star in?
41. Name the TV presenter?
42. Name the TV comedian?
What was his catchphrase?
Here's one of his best jokes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZNoSswFRE
43. Name the TV comedy?
And the other three characters?
44. SONG. 'All Kinds Of Everything', Dana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmnd3uiK_Y
What would you call a wailing female spirit in Irish folklore?
45. Which little Irish cobbler is associated with a rainbow?
What should you find at the end of it?
46. What type of dog is this?
How tall is it (maximum) when it stands on its hind legs?
47. One of the oldest books in the world is 'The Book Of Kells', which is kept in Trinity College, Dublin. How old do you think it is?
48. The word for Irish Whiskey is 'Uisce beatha'. What does this literally translate as in English?
What is the world's best selling Irish Whiskey?
49. SONG. 'Wild Rover', The Dubliners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4KboYi40I
What is the 'Craic' enjoyed in Ireland?
50. SONG. 'Whisky In The Jar', Thin Lizzy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQ-tScuzwM
What was the lead singer's name?
EXTRA SONGS TO PLAY DURING THE PRACTICAL ACTIVITY
SONG. 'No Matter What', Boyzone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eul_Vt6SZY
SONG. 'Uptown Girl', West Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HTexqxo1og
'Nothing Compares To You', Sinead O'Connor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-EF60neguk
SONG. 'Danny Boy', Eva Cassidy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7AraiaMnmg
FINAL SONG. 'In The Mood For Dancing', The Nolan Sisters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbAM2_6jKY0
'Breathless', The Corrs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzerbXFwGCE
Sláinte is the basic form in Irish. Variations of this toast include sláinte mhaith "good health" in Irish (mhaith being the lenited form of maith "good"). In Irish, the response to sláinte is sláinte agatsa, which translates "to your health as well".
PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES Suggestions for practical activities: Cut potatoes in half and carve patterns in them. Then use them to print images, after dipping them in paint.
Make sour dough with the group. Mix and bake the bread, then serve it with Kerry Gold butter. Here's a recipe: Ingredients: 3 ½ cups Whole Wheat Flour 1 tsp Salt 1 tsp Baking Soda ¼ cup Butter (cold and cut into pieces) 1 ½ cups Sourdough Starter (fresh or discarded) 1 cup Buttermilk ¼ cup Honey 1 Egg (egg wash) Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl or stand mixer, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Cut cold butter into dry mix until crumbly. In a separate bowl mix the sourdough starter, buttermilk, and honey. Slowly mix the buttermilk/sourdough mixture into the dry mix until dough forms. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. About 20-30 minutes. Cut dough in half and form two loaves. Place on a baking sheet, and make and X cut on top of each loaf. (No proofing required) Brush with egg wash and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until 180°F internal temperature. https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/blog/sourdough-irish-soda-bread/
This evolved from the Old Irish word Ériu, which was the name of a Gaelic goddess. Ériu is generally believed to have been the matron goddess of Ireland or simply a goddess of the land. Green is said to represent Roman Catholicism, Orange Protestantism and White both religions coming together in peace. 2. Shamrock & Harp
3. St Patrick / Snakes
4. Dublin / Liffe
5. Stormont in Belfast
6. 1998 / Tony Blair & Bertie Aherne
7. Aer Lingus / Ryan Air
8. Punt / 2002
9. Garda / Left
10. 'The Potato Famine' / 1 million or 20-25%
12. Blarney Castle / 'The Gift Of The Gab'
13. 'Giant's Causeway' / Bassalt
14. Liverpool / 'Paddy's Wigwam'
15. Belfast / 15th April 1912
16. 'Shannon' / 'Limerick'
17. Sour Dough / To ward off the devil
18. Mutton / Dumplings
19. Mashed potato - with cabbage & with spring onions
21. 'Black Gold' / Toucan
22. Cockles, Muscles, Prawn, Shrimp, Langoustines, Crabs, Lobsters, Whelks etc
23. Oscar Wilde ' 'The Picture Of Dorian Gray'
24. James Joyce / 'Ulysses'
25. Leo Varadkar / Taoiseach
26. Terry Wogan / 'Floral Dance'
27. Graham Norton / 'Eurovision Song Contest'
28. George Best / 'The Belfast Boy'
29. Barry McGuigan / 'The Clones Cyclone'