"Never underestimate the importance of having fun." Randy Pausch
This CST activities page has a theme of "All the fun of the fair". Now that summer is approaching and COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted, it seemed appropriate.
Many members will remember funfair visits and rides from their younger days. Some may have children or grandchildren who still like to have fun there.
Discuss the feelings and memories that people have about spending the day at the funfair. The excitement, the noise, the smells and how it feels coming off a big ride.
Discuss funfairs visited and favourite rides. The picture quiz will hopefully further promote reminiscence and discussion.
IDIOMS ABOUT HAVING FUN
A barrel of LAUGHS
Footloose and fancy FREE
In full SWING
Full of the joys of SPRING
Happy go LUCKY
Have the time of your LIFE
Let your hair DOWN
Live the life of RILEY
Take things EASY
IDIOMS ABOUT ENJOYMENT
Hustle and BUSTLE
Blow away the COBWEBS
Life and soul of the PARTY
Time flies when you're having FUN
On cloud NINE
Happy as LARRY
On top of the WORLD
ROUND 1. Name The Ride
Simply name the ride ...
Give bonus points for anyone who has been on one.
11. What is the name of the lead singer with 'Simply Red'?
NB Some members may have not had good experiences with funfair rides (nausea and so on). They may prefer to talk about side stalls and amusements.
ROUND 2. Name The Food
Simply name the food.
Give a bonus point if anyone has had any of these in the last year ...
SONG. 'Molly Malone', The Dubliners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAzhNEW7KAI
22. As you listen to this song, name as many shellfish as you can. A point for each.
ROUND 3. TV & Movie
23. Name the TV sitcom and the characters?
24. Name the TV sitcom and the two characters stood up?
25. Name the TV quiz show and the presenters?
26. Name the presenter?
27. Name the TV sitcom and the character?
28. Name the movie?
29. Name the movie?
30. Name the movie? And the characters?
31. Name the movie? And the two rival gangs?
32. Name the movie? And the actor?
33. Who is the lead singer of 'Madness'?
ROUND 4. Other Stuff
34. How much does it cost to rent one for the day on Blackpool beach?
35. How much does it cost to rent one for the day on Barry Island>
36. Name the act?
37. Think of a children's game to do with this animal?
38. Where are these lights?
39. Name the nearest pier to you?
40. Which county is 'Alton Towers' in?
41. In which European city would you find 'Disneyland'?
42. Name as many of these Disney characters as you can?
43. Name the four herbs?
44. Aside from visiting the funfair, what would your PERFECT DAY be?
45. Name some funfairs and theme parks?
46. Name as many of the different singers in this video as you can ...
Here's the list https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/553759
Finally, you could take a funfair rollercoaster ride together ...
Finish with some refreshments and Fairground Organ music …
If time, here are some songs from the musical 'Carousel' ...
'If I Loved You' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuHAh-2xGxw
'You'll Never Walk Alone' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzaCs95Q3c
'Carousel Waltz' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEOm0RIcWo
Make and play a game of 'Bean Bag Toss' ...
Or you could play a game of 'Hoops' ...
3. Ferris Wheel
4. Roller Coaster
5. Helter Skelter
7. Flying Swing
8. Ghost Train
9. Log Flume
10. Pirate Ship
11. Mick Hucknall
12. Candy Floss
13. Toffee Apple
14. Stick Of Rock (usually peppermint flavoured)
16. Hot Dog
17. Fish And Chips
21. Whelks, Jellied Eels & Prawns
22. Cockles, Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Lobster, Langoustine etc
23. 'Hi Di Hi' / Gladys Pugh & Peggy (Ruth Madoc & Sue Pollard)
24. 'Happy Days' / Richie Cunningham and The Fonz (Ron Howard & Henry Winkler)
25. 'Wheel Of Fortune' / Nicky Campbell & Carol Smilie
26. 'Tipping Point' / Ben Sheppard
27. 'Gavin And Stacey' / Nessa (Ruth Jones)
29. 'Strangers On A Train'
30. 'Grease' / Sandy Olsson & Danny Zuko (Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta)
31. 'Quadrophenia' / Mods & Rockers
32. 'Big' / Tom Hanks
36. 'Punch And Judy'
37. 'Pin The Tail On The Donkey'
43. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme
45. Alton Towers, Oakwood, Thorpe Park, Drayton Manor, Blackpool Leisure Beach etc