"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."
Charles M Schulz
Begin by asking, who likes chocolate? Or dislikes it... and the reasons why? Would anyone describe themselves as a 'Chocoholic'? Does anyone have a favourite chocolate bar? Does anyone remember getting a selection box for Christmas when they were a child? Who prefers Milk, Dark or White chocolate?
Which events often include chocolates as gifts? - Christmas
- Easter - Birthdays - Anniversaries - Valentines - When someone is ill.
IDIOMS Next, we asked members to complete these well known phrases... (clues are in brackets) Sweet and - SOUR (Chinese food) As useless as a chocolate - TEAPOT (not fit for purpose) Death by - CHOCOLATE (name of a chocolate desert) Sweet - TOOTH (likes sweet foods) That's the way the cookie - CRUMBLES (tough luck) A tough - COOKIE (a strong person) A piece of - CAKE (easy) As sweet as - HONEY (sickly sweet) Icing on the - CAKE (to better something) Have your cake and - EAT IT (best of both worlds) The cherry on - THE TOP (finishing touch) A rose by any other name would smell - AS SWEET (‘Romeo And Juliet’ quotation) Short and - SWEET (brief) Be sweet on - SOMEBODY (fancy a person) Do something in your own sweet - WAY (take your time) Forbidden fruit is the - SWEETEST (Adam & Eve reference) Home sweet - HOME (comfort of familiarity) Keep somebody - SWEET (play somebody) Like a kid in a - SWEET SHOP (excited) Revenge is - SWEET (get your own back) Sweet - DREAMS (goodnight) Sweet Fanny - ADAMS (sweet FA) Whisper sweet - NOTHINGS (words of love) The sweet smell of - SUCCESS (gloating) Eye - CANDY (good looking) Like taking candy from - A BABY (easy peasy) Chocolate - BOX (tips jar for staff)
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
PART 1. General Knowledge
1. John Cadbury founded his business in 1824 in Birmingham. What religion was he?
2. Chocolate contains the endorphin phenylethylamine, which is a feel good brain chemical. One survey found what percentage of women would prefer chocolate over making love?
3. Which chocolate bar sells the most in the UK?
4. What is the name of Cadbury's dark chocolate, sold in the UK?
5. Which small oval chocolate treat appears in shops in January in readiness for Easter festivities?
6. How many calories are there in a deep fried Mars Bar?
7. Which traditional cream cake is covered in chocolate?
What pastry are they made from?
8. What spread is used in a Chocolate Crepe?
9. What chocolate do you add to a cornet of vanilla ice cream to make it a 99?
10. Name the chocolate treat with a nut on top?
11. Name the chocolate mixed bag with orange, coffee, raisin, peanut, toffee and biscuit centres?
12. Which Christmas cake has a chocolate sponge and coating?
13. Which American biscuit has chocolate rounds with a creme fondant in the middle?
14. Which chocolate cake has black cherries in the middle?
15. Name the chocolate egg with a (plastic 👎) children’s toy in the middle?
16. Which actor is said to have invented the Magnum to replace choc ices?
17. In which film did Tom Hanks say, "Mama always said that life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."?
18. Which TV vicar LOVES chocolate (and Mel Gibson)?
19. Which 'Little Britain' character loved 'Choclit'?
20. In which TV comedy series did Edina Monsoon call Patsy Stone "Sweetie Darling"?
PART 2. Advertising Slogans
Complete these advertising slogans... (and sing those which you can remember)
(After guesses, you could play the advert. Links are provided.)
21. "See the face you love light up with ...... ... .... ."
22. "The ..... .... are on me." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCbEHHsI3zQ
23. "A .... . ... helps you work rest and play." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9zAummq7Q
24. "And all because the lady loves .... .... ." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqlfWfhNiqk
25. "A hazelnut in every bite." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DivIkDrcCs
26. "Full of eastern promise." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAY_o36paQ0
27. "Comes up peanuts, slice after slice."
28. "A ...... .. ..... is just enough to give your kids a treat." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9BBLSZZdQ
29. "The longer lasting snack." (My favourite chocolate bar!)
30. "It's not Terry's ......... ...... it's mine." (Dawn French)
31. "Only the crumbliest milkiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5TplVfwoeg
32. "Everyone's a ..... ... ... case." (Frank Muir)
33. "(Hey Mr Beaver) Take it easy with ........ ....... ."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_POJw38FaI 34. "Get that Friday feeling with Cadburys ........ ."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljqs63uYZ5s 35. "It takes a glass and a half of milk to make ........ ..... .... taste so creamy." (Cilla Black)
36. "Have a break, have a ... ... ."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjHRwnf170 37. "When you feel a little ppeckish ppppick up a ....... ." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0Fa66h6Qo 38. "Do you love someone enough to give them your last ....?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHfyYKdqoM
39. "The taste of paradise."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8S7B8lnOL4 40. "The sweet you can eat between meals without ruining your appetite."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5idXhTR4EY 41. "Nuts whole hazelnuts. Cadbury's take them and they cover them in chocolate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t9ZJK-vc-I 42. "If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our .... ."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBD3xnI5eSE 43. "Full moon, half moon, total eclipse."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCwnms18CM 44. "How do you like to eat them?"
45. "Lovely bubbly."
46. "........ people are happy people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAbrDypnr6I 47. "It's so big you've gotta grin to get it in."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkWKTeKHBWA 48. "It's not for girls."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcjlzSod0CE 49. "Outchews everything for 3p ..... ..... ." (Terry Scott)
50. "Made with triangular chocolate from triangular tree and triangular honey from triangular bees."
51. "Magic moments are only found in ******* ******." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgUeO9-NYY
52. "Thank you very much."
53. "Who knows the secret of the ***** ***** ***."
54. "The nut and chocolate dream."
55. "Why have chocolate when you can have silk." (Audrey Hepburn)
56. "A sign of good taste."
PART 3. Songs
'We Are The Ovaltineys' - The Ovaltineys 57. Name some bedtime hot drinks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-m9uG50mSw 'Sexy Thing' - Hot Chocolate 58. Name the lead singer? What 1997 comedy film featured this song?
'Pure Imagination' - Gene Wilder 59. What 1971 children’s film featured this song? What were the little people in this film called?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o 'Sugar Sugar' - The Archies 60. Name the different types of sugar?
'Lollipop' - The Chordettes 61. Who carries a lollipop on the street? Which TV detective sucked a lollipop?
'Lollipop Guild' - The Wizard Of Oz 62. What were the little people called in this 1939 film? What road did they follow to find the Wizard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvaIp7sV5Q 'Sweets For My Sweet' - The Searchers 63. Name some old fashioned sweets?
'Candy Man' - Sammy Davies Jnr 64. This song was used on a Friday morning in which DJ's ‘Breakfast Show’?
'Thank You Very Much' - The Scaffold 65. This song advertised which tin of sweets? What colour wrapping has the Brazil Nut chocolate?
'Sugar And Spice' - The Searchers 66. What are little girls and little boys made of?
'Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This' - Eurythmics 67. Name the two musicians in the Eurythmics?
'I Get The Sweetest Feeling' - Jackie Wilson 68. What was Jackie Wilson’s nickname? What type of music did he produce?
'Black Magic Woman' - Santana 69. What nationality is Carlos Santana? The capital of Mexico, Mexico City, was once the capital of which ancient empire?
'Yummy Yummy Yummy' - Ohio Express 70. Is anyone able to rub their tummy and pat their head at the same time?
Try this one - Now start rotating your foot clockwise. Keep that going, and then with your right finger, try to draw a big figure "6" in the air. (Your foot rotation will change to anti-clockwise.)
'Brown Sugar' - Rolling Stones 71. True or false. Mick Jagger’s newest son is younger than his great grandson?
ACTIVITY Then we had our chocolate tasting round. We cut up several bars of chocolate and passed tasters around for people to identify. (We had some diabetic chocolate on stand by, so no one missed out.)
We also made and enjoyed some Nesquik milkshakes.
2. OVER 50%
3. KITKAT (The middle layer of a KitKat is smashed up KitKats. Nothing goes to waste!)
5. CADBURY'S CREME EGGS
6. 600 (Has anyone had one?)
7. ECLAIR OR PROFITEROLE (choux pastry)
10. WALNUT WHIP
12. CHOCOLATE LOG
14. BLACKFOREST GATEAUX
15. KINDER SURPRISE
16. ROGER MOORE
17. FORREST GUMP
18. VICAR OF DIBLEY (DAWN FRENCH)
19. MAJORIE DAWES - FATFIGHTERS (PLAYED BY MATT LUCAS)
20. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS (Jennifer Saunders & Joanna Lumley)
21. TERRYS ALL GOLD
22. MILKY BARS
23. MARS A DAY
24. MILK TRAY
26. FRY'S TURKISH DELIGHT
27. SNICKERS (Snickers used to be called ........ - MARATHON)
28. FINGER OF FUDGE
30. CHOCOLATE ORANGE (Or ‘Tap it and unwrap it’)
31. CADBURYS FLAKE
32. FRUIT AND NUT
33. CADBURY'S CARAMEL
34. CRUNCHIE (or ‘Thank Crunchie it’s Friday’)
35. CADBURYS DAIRY MILK
36. KIT KAT (Made by Nestle)
40. MILKY WAY
41. CADBURY'S WHOLENUT
42. CLUB (Flavours were biscuit, fruit biscuit, orange and mint)
43. JAFFA CAKES
44. CABDURY'S CREME EGG
47. WAGON WHEEL (Are they smaller, or are our hands?)
48. YORKIE BAR
49. CURLY WURLY
50. TOBLERONE (made from triangular chocolate)
51. QUALITY STREET
53. BLACK MAGIC
56. FERERRO ROCHER
57. OVALTINE, HORLICKS, COCOA, HOT MILK, CAMP COFFEE
58. ERROL BROWN / THE FULL MONTY (starring Robert Carlyle)
59. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY / THE OOMPA LOOMPA
60. BROWN, GRANULATED, DEMERARA, CUBES, ICING, CASTER, MOLASSES, HONEY
61. LOLLIPOP MAN AT PEDESTRIAN CROSSING / KOJAK
62. MUNCHKINS / YELLOW BRICK ROAD
63. GOBSTOPPERS, BLACK JACKS, FRUIT SALADS, PINEAPPLE CHUNKS, COLA CUBES, MOJOS, SHERBET LEMONS, DIB DABS, SHERBET FOUNTAIN, BONBONS, LIQOURICE ALLSORTS
64. CHRIS EVANS
65. QUALITY STREET / PURPLE CELLOPHANE
66. SUGAR AND SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE / SLUGS AND SNAILS AND PUPPY DOG TAILS
67. ANNIE LENNOX & DAVE STEWART
68 MR EXCITEMENT / AMERICAN SOUL
69. MEXICAN / AZTEC
71. TRUE. On 8th December 2016 Mick Jagger, then aged 73, welcomed his son Deveraux. His great granddaughter was born in 2014.