"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."
Charles M Schulz
We asked, who likes chocolate? Or dislikes it... and the reasons why? Would anyone describe themselves as a 'Chocoholic'? Does anyone have a favourite chocolate bar? Does anyone remember getting a selection box for Christmas when they were younger? Who prefers Milk, Dark or White chocolate?
Which events normally include chocolates as gifts? - Christmas
- Easter - Birthdays - Anniversaries - Valentines - When someone is ill.
IDIOMS Next, we asked members to complete these well known phrases... (clues are in brackets) Sweet and - SOUR (Chinese food)
As useless as a chocolate - TEAPOT (not fit for purpose)
Death by - CHOCOLATE (name of a chocolate desert)
Sweet - TOOTH (likes sweet foods)
That's the way the cookie - CRUMBLES (tough luck)
A tough - COOKIE (a strong person)
A piece of - CAKE (easy)
As sweet as - HONEY (sickly sweet)
Icing on the - CAKE (to better something)
Have your cake and - EAT IT (best of both worlds)
The cherry on - THE TOP (finishing touch)
A rose by any other name would smell - AS SWEET (‘Romeo And Juliet’ quotation)
Short and - SWEET (brief)
Be sweet on - SOMEBODY (fancy a person)
Do something in your own sweet - WAY (take your time)
Forbidden fruit is the - SWEETEST (Adam & Eve reference)
Home sweet - HOME (comfort of familiarity)
Keep somebody - SWEET (play somebody)
Like a kid in a - SWEET SHOP (excited)
Revenge is - SWEET (get your own back)
Sweet - DREAMS (goodnight)
Sweet Fanny - ADAMS (sweet FA)
Whisper sweet - NOTHINGS (words of love)
The sweet smell of - SUCCESS (gloating)
Eye - CANDY (good looking)
Like taking candy from - A BABY (easy peasy)
Chocolate - BOX (tips jar for staff)
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
PART 1. General Knowledge
1. John Cadbury founded his business in 1824 in Birmingham. What religion was he?
2. Chocolate contains the endorphin phenylethylamine, which is a feel good brain chemical. One survey found what percentage of women would prefer chocolate over making love?
3. Which chocolate bar sells the most in the UK?
4. What is the name of Cadbury's dark chocolate, sold in the UK?
5. Which small oval chocolate treat appears in shops in January in readiness for Easter festivities?
6. How many calories are there in a deep fried Mars Bar?
7. Which traditional cream cake is covered in chocolate?
What pastry are they made from?
8. What spread is used in a Chocolate Crepe?
9. What chocolate do you add to a cornet of vanilla ice cream to make a 99?
10. The chocolate treat with a nut on top?
11. The chocolate mixed bag with orange, coffee, raisin, peanut, toffee and biscuit centres?
12. What Christmas cake has a chocolate coating?
13. Which American biscuit has chocolate rounds with a creme fondant in the middle?
14. Which chocolate cake has black cherries in the middle?
15. The chocolate egg with a (plastic)children’s toy in the middle?
16. Which actor is said to have invented the Magnum to replace choc ices?
17. In which film did Tom Hanks say, "Mama always said that life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
18. Which TV vicar LOVES chocolate (and Mel Gibson)?
19. Which 'Little Britain' character loved 'Choclit'?
20. In which TV comedy series did Edina Monsoon call Patsy Stone "Sweetie Darling"?
PART 2. Advertising Solgans
Complete these advertising slogans... (and sing those which you can remember) 1. See the face you love light up with ...... ... ....
2. The ..... .... are on me 3. A .... . ... helps you work rest and play 4. And all because the lady loves .... .... 5. ..... A hazelnut in every bite 6. .... ....... ...... Full of eastern promise 7. You’re not you when you’re hungry! ........
8. A ...... .. ..... is just enough to give your kids a treat 9. After ..... 10. It's not Terrys ......... ...... its mine
11. Only the crumbliest milkiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before ........ ..... 12. Everyone's a ..... ... ... case 13. (Hey Mr Beaver) Take it easy with ........ ....... 14. Get that Friday feeling with Cadburys ........ 15. It takes a glass and a half of milk to make ........ ..... .... taste so creamy
16. Have a break, have a ... ... 17. When you feel a little ppeckish ppppick up a ....... 18. ..... grow on you 19. ......... melt in your mouth not in your hand. 20. Do you love someone enough to give them your last ....? 21. ...... the taste of paradise 22. The lighter way to enjoy chocolate. .........
23. ..... ... The sweet you can eat between meals without losing your appetite 24. Who knows the secret of the ..... ..... ...? 25. Nuts whole hazelnuts ........ take them and they cover them in chocolate 26. If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our .... 27. Full moon, half moon, total eclipse ..... ..... 28. How do you like to eat them? ........ ..... ... 29. .... ... It's a bit of a beast 30. Only ....... have the answer 31. Bridge that gap with ........ ..... 32. Hot chocolate, drinking chocolate ........ ........ ......... 33. It's so big you've gotta grin to get it in ..... ..... 34. Not for girls ...... ... 35. The Ambassador’s chocolate ....... ..... 36. Outchews everything for 3p ..... ..... 37. Somebody somewhere is having a ...... ..... 38. Feel the bubbles melt .... 39. What’s your favourite? ....... ...... 40. Out on its own .........
ROUND 3. Songs
We Are The Ovaltineys - The Ovaltineys
1. Name some bedtime hot drinks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-m9uG50mSw Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
2. Name the lead singer? What 1997 comedy film featured this song?
Pure Imagination - Gene Wilder 3. What 1971 children’s film featured this song? What were the little people in this film called?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o Sugar Sugar - The Archies
4. Name the different types of sugar?
Lollipop - The Chordettes
5. Who carries a lollipop on the street? Which TV detective sucked a lollipop?
Lollipop Guild - The Wizard Of Oz
6. What were the little people called in this 1939 film? What road did they follow to find the Wizard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvaIp7sV5Q Sweets For My Sweet - The Searchers
7. Name some old fashioned sweets?
Candy Man - Sammy Davies Jnr
8. This song was used on a Friday morning in which DJ's ‘Breakfast Show’?
Thank You Very Much - The Scaffold
9. This song advertised which tin of sweets? What colour wrapping has the Brazil Nut chocolate?
Sugar And Spice - The Searchers
10. What are little girls and little boys made of?
Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This - Eurythmics
11. Name the two musicians in the Eurythmics?
I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson
12. What was Jackie Wilson’s nickname? What type of music did he produce?
Black Magic Woman - Santana
13. What nationality is Carlos Santana? The capital of Mexico, Mexico City, was once the capital of which ancient empire?
Yummy Yummy Yummy - Ohio Express
14. Is anyone able to rub their tummy and pat their head at the same time?
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
15. True or false. Mick Jagger’s newest son is younger than his great grandson?
ACTIVITY Then we had our chocolate tasting round. We cut up several bars of chocolate and passed tasters around for people to identify. (We had some diabetic chocolate on stand by, so no one missed out.)
We also made and enjoyed milkshakes.
2. OVER 50%
3. KITKAT (The middle layer of a KitKat is smashed up KitKats. Nothing goes to waste!)
5. CADBURY'S CREME EGGS
6. 600 (Has anyone had one?)
7. ECLAIR OR PROFITEROLE (choux pastry)
10. WALNUT WHIP
12. CHOCOLATE LOG
14. BLACKFOREST GATEAUX
15. KINDER SURPRISE
16. ROGER MOORE
17. FORREST GUMP
18. VICAR OF DIBLEY (DAWN FRENCH)
19. MAJORIE DAWES - FATFIGHTERS (PLAYED BY MATT LUCAS)
20. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS (Jennifer Saunders & Joanna Lumley)
1. TERRYS ALL GOLD
2. MILKY BARS
3. MARS A DAY
4. MILK TRAY
6. FRY'S TURKSIH DELIGHT
7. SNICKERS (Snickers used to be called ........ - MARATHON)
8. FINGER OF FUDGE
10. CHOCOLATE ORANGE (Or ‘Tap it and unwrap it’)
11. CADBURYS FLAKE
12. FRUIT AND NUT
13. CADBURY'S CARAMEL
14. CRUNCHIE (or ‘Thank Crunchie it’s Friday’)
15. CADBURYS DAIRY MILK
16. KIT KAT (Made by Nestle)
19. M&MS (Used to be called ‘Treats’)
23. MILKY WAY
24. BLACK MAGIC BOX
25. CADBURY'S WHOLENUT
26. CLUB (Flavours were biscuit, fruit biscuit, orange and mint)
27. JAFFA CAKES
28. CABDURY'S CREME EGG
29. LION BAR
31. CADBURY'S SNACK
32. CADBURY'S DRINKING CHOCOLATE
33. WAGON WHEEL (Are they smaller, or are our hands?)
34. YORKIE BAR
35. FERRERO ROCHER
36. CURLY WURLY
37. TOFFEE CRISP (rice crispies)
39. QUALITY STREET
40. TOBLERONE (made from triangular chocolate)
1. OVALTINE, HORLICKS, COCOA, HOT MILK, CAMP COFFEE
2. ERROL BROWN / THE FULL MONTY (starring Robert Carlyle)
3. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY / THE OOMPA LOOMPA
4. BROWN, GRANULATED, DEMERARA, CUBES, ICING, CASTER, MOLASSES, HONEY
5. LOLLIPOP MAN AT PEDESTRIAN CROSSING / KOJAK
6. MUNCHKINS / YELLOW BRICK ROAD
7. GOBSTOPPERS, BLACK JACKS, FRUIT SALADS, PINEAPPLE CHUNKS, COLA CUBES, MOJOS, SHERBET LEMONS, DIB DABS, SHERBET FOUNTAIN, BONBONS, LIQOURICE ALLSORTS
8. CHRIS EVANS
9. QUALITY STREET / PURPLE CELLOPHANE
10. SUGAR AND SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE / SLUGS AND SNAILS AND PUPPY DOG TAILS
11. ANNIE LENNOX & DAVE STEWART
12. MR EXCITEMENT / AMERICAN SOUL
13. MEXICAN / AZTEC
15. TRUE. On 8th December 2016 Mick Jagger, then aged 73, welcomed his son Deveraux. His great granddaughter was born in 2014