Some ideas for your first CST group of 2022.
INTRODUCTION Wish everyone a Happy New Year and ask how their holidays went? - Did anyone have any visitors staying, or did they visit or stay with family or friends?
- What was the most enjoyable thing about New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? - What were their best Christmas presents? Did anyone have any nice surprises?
- Or are there any presents to 'regift'?
- Does anyone not celebrate Christmas? What is their festive occasion? How did members see in the New Year? Did anyone drink champagne and count down the seconds to Big Ben chiming in 2020? Did anyone watch Jools Holland 'Annual Hootenany' or see the 'Fireworks on the Thames'?
NEW YEAR, NEW BEGINNINGS IDIOMS As a memory prompt, we asked members to complete the following phrases together: Turn over a new - LEAF To start - ANEW/AFRESH Nothing ventured, nothing - GAINED To break new - GROUND Out with the old and in with the - NEW When one door closes, another - OPENS Winds of - CHANGE You can’t teach an old dog new - TRICKS As bright as a new - PIN As busy as a - BEAVER As good as - NEW A lick of - PAINT A brave new - WORLD A whole different - BALLGAME A new broom sweeps - CLEAN New kid on the - BLOCK New lease of - LIFE That’s a new one on - ME Breathe new life into - SOMETHING Dawn of a new - DAY Make - OVER Feel like a new - MAN Like a kid with a new - TOY Brand spanking - NEW New - PASTURES New wine in old - BOTTLES Nothing new under the - SUN Plumb new - DEPTHS Put a different complexion on - SOMETHING See in a new - LIGHT Take a new - TURN/TWIST Take on new - SIGNIFICANCE That’s a new one on - ME The Emperor’s new - CLOTHES Ring in the New - YEAR
SONG. 'Happy New Year', ABBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uo0JAUWijM
Hre is our first song to sing along with.
Ask members if they have made any New Year's resolutions (things they would like to do more or less of)?
As we start a new year, what is the single biggest change you or others could make that would make the world a better place to live in?
NEW YEAR'S QUIZ Here's a short quiz to carry on the discussion.
Round 1. Traditions
1. What do people traditionally do at midnight on New Years Eve?
2. What do the Scots call New Year's Eve?
3. What do you call a Scottish or Irish social occasion involving Gaelic music and dancing?
4. What is a 'Calennig' in Wales?
5. What is 'First Footing'?
6. What gifts are given?
7. Where in the UK do people say "Black rabbits, Black rabbits, black rabbits" in the closing seconds of the old year and "White rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits" in the opening seconds of the new year?
8. Complete the following phrase, which is said by school children on the first of each month... "Pinch punch, first of the month and .........".
9. True or False. Doing laundry on New Year's Day is bad luck?
10. Who wrote the words to Auld Lang Syne?
What do those words mean?
SINGALONG. 'Auld Lang Syne', Maria Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aop6YF1Xqqg
(This is also a great version to dance along with!)
Round 2. Millennium
Identify these 'Millennium Fund' landmark construction projects ...
18. How many 'Millennium Beacons' were lit across the UK on New Year's Eve 1999 to welcome in the new century? (Nearest guess)
19. What was the feared computer failure of New Year's Eve 2000 called?
20. SONG. 'Millennium', Robbie Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk
This song borrows heavily from which James Bond movie theme music?
Round 3. General Knowledge
21. Which country in the world is first to see in New Year, and at what time GMT is it?
22. What are 'Veganuary', 'Red January' and 'Dry January'?
23. What year was the Queen's 'Annus Horribilis'? Why was it so called?
24. What 1972 disaster movie is set around a New Year's Eve party at sea?
25. Who sang that they were going to ... 'Party like it's 1999'?
Here is the song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4
26. Where do Americans celebrate the New Year by watching 'The Ball Drop'?
27. Which Stevie Wonder song begins with the lyrics, "No New Year's Day to celebrate..."?
Here is the song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPLdL5GWDg
28. Feb 1st 2022 will see the Chinese calendar 'Year Of The Tiger' come in. What are the other 11 animals of the Chinese zodiac?
29. How do you say "Happy New Year" in Welsh? (Or another language depending on the cultural background of your members)
30. NEXT SONG. 'Perfect Year', Dina Carroll - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7XZEpNwgQ
Which musical does the song 'The Perfect Year' come from?
Round 4. My Top 10 News Stories Of 2021