We were a little overdue with our themed 'Cariad Dementia Cafe' CST Zoom session this week, as it was 'World Oceans Day' on 4th June. Nevertheless, the theme also tied in with our ongoing discussion about Summer and was enjoyed by all.
We started by sharing a photo of our favourite beach and reminiscences of times spent at the seaside or on the ocean.
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz. Our virtual prize this week was a stick of Blackpool rock.
ROUND 1. FLAGS
1. What is the name of this flag, which you might see at the beach?
What does it mean?
2. What do the initials 'R.N.L.I' stand for?
3. What does this flag mean (there are usually two of them flying)?
4. How about this flag (again, there are usually two of them)?
5. What ships would you see this flag flying on and what is it called?
6. How about this flag? What is it called?
7. SONG. Here is our first song. It's 'What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?', sung by Fisherman's Friends - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecz3gdqUbVg
Which TV drama is set in Port Isaac, or as it is called in the show Port Wenn?
Who stars in it?
ROUND 2. TV PERSONALITIES
8. Who is this TV chef and where was his first restaurant?
9. What is the name of this TV presenter and what was the name of his natural history series about the oceans?
10. What is the name of this French explorer and what was the name of his ship?
11. What is the name of this TV presenter and which reality TV series did he first appear on?
12. What is the name of this TV presenter and what type of holidays does she prefer?
13. What are the names of this father and son and what was the name of their cookery show?
14. SONG. 'Sailing', by Rod Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9fFTH917M
What is Rod Stewart an enthusiast of (his hobby)?
ROUND 3. FILMS
15. What is the name of this 1956 film and who starred as Captain Ahab?
16. What is the name of this 2000 film, starring Tom Hanks as the survivor of a plane crash and what was the name of his only friend (an inanimate object)?
17. What is the name of this 1989 film and who starred as the mermaid Madison?
18. What is the name of this 1963 film about an explorer guided by the Gods, and which Roman God is holding the cliffs apart?
19. What is the name of this actor and character from the 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' 2003 film?
20. What is the name of this 1975 movie, and the actor and character?
21. SONG. 'The Beautiful Briny Sea' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezenR3Cljyo
What 1971 film is this song from and which two actors are singing it?
ROUND 4. TV
22. What is the name of this TV drama series about a castaway and who wrote the 1719 book?
23. What is the name of this TV drama series about a swimming man and who starred in it?
24. What is the name of this TV drama series and who are the two actors pictured here who starred in it?
25. What is the name of this TV drama series and what is the name of the little person who said "Boss, the planes!"?
26. What is the name of this TV drama series and what was the name of the submarine?
27. What is the name of this TV drama series and the name of the actor?
28. Bonus question. What is the name of the smuggling pub on Bodmin Moor, about which Daphne Du Maurier wrote a novel in 1936?
29. SONG. 'Aquamarina' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iULyLwvV-A
What TV puppet drama series did this song feature in?
Who created all of the puppet shows around this time, e.g. 'Joe 90'?
ROUND 5. FOOD
30. What is the name of this Cornish dish and what fish are used in making it?
31. What is the name of this expensive lobster dish and what alcoholic drink is the sauce made of?
32. What is the name of this dish and what fish is it made of?
33. What is the name of this rice dish and what country does it come from?
34. What is the name of this fish soup or broth dish and what country does it come from?
35. (Nearest guess) How much is an ounce (28g) of Beluga Caviar on Amazon?
36. SONG. 'Molly Malone', by The Dubliners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Deeh9n-VI
Whilst listening to this song, name as many shellfish as you can. (A chance to beef up your points!)
ROUND 6. ADVERTS
37. What is the main filling of a Bounty?
38. What is this advert advertising (what is the lighthouse painted in)?
39. Who is this chap and what is he advertising (first advert)?
40. What is the name of this bathroom product?
41. What was the advert "oo look Petunia, he's waving at us!" advertising?
42. Which ex-footballer advertises this product? (This crisp bag, found on Treyarnon beach, is 50 years old!)
43. LAST SONG. My Heart Will Go On', sung by Celine Dion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RnxZnubCM
Name the 1997 movie and the actors and characters pictured here?
1. Blue Flag - a European award for beaches, based on cleanliness and safety.
2. Royal National Lifeboat Institution
3. Lifeguard on duty - Swim between flags
4. Lifeguard on duty - Surf between flags
5. White Ensign - Royal Navy ships
6. Jolly Roger
7. Doc Martin, played by Martin Clunes
8. Rick Stein - Padstow
9. David Attenborough - 'Blue Planet'
10. Jaques Cousteau - 'Calypso'
11. Ben Fogle - 'Castaway' (set on the island of Taransay)
12. Jane McDonald - Cruising
13. Dick & James Strawbridge ' 'Hungry Sailors'
14. Model railways
15. 'Moby Dick' - Gregory Peck
16. 'Castaway' - Wilson (A basketball)
17. 'Splash' - Darrell Hannah
18. 'Jason And The Argonauts' - Neptune
19. Johnny Depp - Captain Jack Sparrow
20. 'Jaws' - Roy Schneider / Captain Brody
21. 'Bedknobs And Broomsticks' - David Tomlinson & Angela Lansbury
22. 'Robinson Crusoe' - Daniel Defoe
23. 'Man From Atlantis' - Patrick Duffy
24. 'Baywatch' - Pamela Anderson & David Hasselhoff
25. 'Fantasy Island' - Tattoo
26. 'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea' - 'Seaview'
27. 'Poldark' - Aiden Quinn
28. 'Jamaica Inn'
29. 'Stingray' - Gerry Anderson
30. Stargazey Pie - Pilchards
31. Lobster Thermidor - Cognac
32. Calamari - Squid
33. Paella - Spain
34. Bouillabaisse - France
39. Captain Birdseye - Fish Fingers
41. HM Coastguard
42. Walkers Crisps - Gary Lineker
43. 'Titanic' - Jack Dawson / Leonardo DeCaprio & Rose Dewitt Bukater / Kate Winslet