“I do not believe there is another city on earth so beautiful as Paris nor another people with such an appreciation of the beautiful as the French...” - Edward Hopper
Our virtual CST 'Cariad Dementia Cafe' this week focuses on all things France and French, as 14th July is 'Bastille Day'.
Members came to the session wearing berets and carrying French flags, if they had one, and introducing themselves by saying something French. They also said what they most about France or French people, food and culture. "Ooo la la!"
PARDON MY FRENCH Ask members to give the meanings of these French sayings that have become embedded in the English language. Oo la la - SURPRISE
C'est la vie - THAT'S LIFE
Double entendre - DOUBLE MEANING / RUDE CONNOTATION
Avant garde - NEW OR EXPERIMENTAL IDEAS / RISQUE
Carte blanche - FREEDOM TO ACT AS ONE WISHES
Deja vu - A FEELING OF HAVING ALREADY EXPERIENCED SOMETHING
Faux pas - AN EMBARRASSING OR TACTLESS ACT OR REMARK
Cliche - STEREOTYPE / AN OVERUSED PHRASE WHICH BETRAYS A LACK OF ORIGINAL THOUGHT
Creme de la creme - BEST OF THE BEST
Cul de sac - DEAD END ROAD
Je ne sais quoi - A CERTAIN SOMETHING
Raison d'etre - REASON FOR BEING
Hors d'oeuvre - APPETISER
Vis a vis - IN RELATION TO
Tete a tete - HEAD TO HEAD
Et voila - THERE YOU HAVE IT
Tour de force - A PERFORMANCE OR ACHIEVEMENT ACCOMPLISHED WITH GREAT SKILL
Pied a terre - SECOND HOME
Art deco - DECORATVE STYLE OF 1920s and 30s
En suite - BATHROOM
Femme fatale - A SEDUCTIVE WOMAN WHO WILL CAUSE HARM TO HER LOVER
Sacre bleu - EXPRESSION OF EXASPERATION
Laissez faire - ANYTHING GOES
Joie de vivre - JOY OF LIFE
Nom de plume - ALIAS OR PEN NAME
RSVP - Respondex sil vous plait - PLEASE RESPOND
Fait accompli - FOREGONE CONCLUSION
Aide memoire - MEMORY AID
Vive la difference - CELEBRATE DIFFERENCE & GENDER EQUALITY
We then moved on to the picture and music quiz. Here are the images, songs and questions we used.
Our virtual prize was a bottle of Champagne, invented of course by the French monk Dom Perignon.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ QUESTIONS
ROUND 1. Factoids
1. What is the name of the French flag?
2. The French motto is 'Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite'. What is the English translation of these three words?
3. Which bird is the emblem of France?
4. Which London station does the 'Eurostar' journey to Paris from?
5. Here is a photo of Sarah Thomas from Colorado, who in 2019 swam the English Channel four times consecutively, without a break. How wide is the English Channel at its narrowest point in the Strait of Dover?
6. What is the highest point in France?
(Does anyone enjoy skiing holidays, or the 'Apres Ski'?)
7. What is the name of the river that runs through Paris?
8. SONG. Our first song was 'Non Je Ne Regrette Rien', sung by Edith Piaf - YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCYEkA0_q8
What does 'Non Je Ne Regrette Rien' mean?
What was Edith Piaf's nickname?
ROUND 2. Places
9. Here is the 'Arc De Triumph', which can be found on Avenue Champs Elyses in Paris. Whose grave is underneath it?
10. How many steps are there to the top of 'The Eiffel Tower'?
(Anyone been up it?)
11. Which annual arts event takes place in Cannes every May?
12. Which annual sporting event takes place in Monte Carlo, again in May?
13. Which UK landmark is twinned with Mont Saint Michel in Normandy?
14. Which French cathedral was damaged by fire on 15th April 2019?
15. According to the Dan Brown book 'The Da Vinci Code', who is laid to rest here?
Where is it?
16. What is the estimated value of 'The Mona Lisa'?
Who painted it, and where is it?
17. SONG. 'She', sung by Charles Aznavour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esE0zlP7AWs
Who re-recorded this song for the a 1997 rom-com movie starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant and what was the name of that movie?
ROUND 3. People
18. What is the name of the French President?
He married his teacher. He is aged 43 years old. How old is she (nearest guess!)
19. Which Cardiffian won 'The Tour de France' in 2018?
What do the French call Wales?
20. What is the name of this French TV chef? He has a hotel and restaurant in Oxfordshire called 'La Manoir Aux Quat Saisons'.
21. What is the name of this Maitre D from the TV show 'First Dates'?
22. What is the name of this ex French footballer?
Which hair product does he advertise?
23. Name this French actor and the 1990 film he starred in about a French man with a big nose?
24. Which character (and actor) wore a beret in the TV sitcom 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em'?
25. Which actor starred (as identical twin brothers) in the 1998 movie 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?
26. Who are these characters and actors from the 'Pink Panther' films?
27. In the TV comedy series 'Allo Allo', what was the name of the bar owner and who played him?
What was the catchphrase of 'Michelle Of The Resistance'?
28. What was the name of the painting from 'Allo Allo'?
How much do you think it sold for in 2018?
29. Who and how old is the 1950s and 60s actress and sex symbol?
30. SONG. 'Je T'aime', sung by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpDf6XX_j0
Who is this song about?
What does 'Je T'aime ... Moi Non Plus' mean?
ROUND 4. History
31. When is 'Bastille Day'?
When was the 'French Revolution' (nearest guess)?
32. How tall was Napoleon Bonaparte?
33. When was the last guillotine execution in France?
34. Which French saint was known as 'The Maid Of Orleans'?
(She died, burned at the stake, in 1431 aged 19 and was a famous heroine for fighting in support of Charles VII dressed as a man in the 'Hundred Years War')
35. Which French queen (the last one!) infamously said 'Let them eat cake' when told her subjects had no bread to eat in or around 1789?
36. Which battle does 'The Bayeux Tapestry' depict? And which English king here is shown with an arrow through his eye?
37. Which French saint is depicted in this stain glass window? She saw visions of 'The Immaculate Conception' ("Holy Mary, Mother Of God") in a grotto at Lourdes in 1858.
38. What were the names of 'The Three Musketeers' and their young protege?
39. What were 'The Hunchback Of Notre Dame' and his girlfriend's names?
40. In the TV drama series 'Robinson Crusoe', who was his one and only friend?
Who wrote the book, published in 1719?
41. SONG. 'I Dreamed A Dream', sung by Susan Boyle on 'Britain's Got Talent' in 2009 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deRF9oEbRso
Which musical does this song come from?
Susan Boyle came second in the competition. Who came first?
ROUND 5. Food & Drink
42. Which ex French footballer advertises beer on TV currently, and which beer is it?
43. Which type of French bread is this?
44. What is a cheese and ham toast called in France?
45. What dish is 'Escargot'?
46. What dish is 'Cuisses De Grenouille?
47. What meat is 'Viande Chevaline'? (Some found its way into 'Findus' products a couple of years back)
48. What flavour is the French drink 'Pastis'?
49. Beef up your points with naming as many French cheeses as you can?
50. And French wines?
51. 'Music Of The Night', sung by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrkY8X8qyE
Which Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical is this song from?
52. 'As Time Goes By', sung by Dooley Wilson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_paHK6JdHA
Complete these catchphrases from the 1942 movie?
- "Here's Looking At You, ***."
- "Of All The Gin Joints In All The Towns In All The World, *** ***** **** ****." ...
- "We'll Always Have *****." ...
53. 'Thank Heavens For Little Girls', sung by Maurice Chevalier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsb9qyvofU
Which musical does this song come from?
54. 'Elephant Love Song Medley', from the 2001 movie 'Moulin Rouge' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxLaO8Xzjsk
Who are the actors singing in this video?
55. 'Vincent', Don McLean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk
Which French artist painted 'A Starry Night'?
56. 'The Can Can', composed by Jaques Offenbach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F7B2i02jrM
What is the English translation of 'Moulin Rouge'?
Get everyone up dancing, if they wish ...
57. BONUS SONG. 'All You Need Is Love', by The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sme6SYyvk
Included for a good old fashioned singalong. But also noting, the song starts with the opening bars of 'Les Marseilles'.
PRACTICAL ACTIVITY Next we had a Cheese and Wine tasting session, with the remaining tracks on the playlist playing in the background. We tried Brie, Camembert, Port Salut, Boursin and Roquefort with grapes and crackers. We washed it down with some low alcohol wines. We then played a game of Boule, otherwise known as Petanque.