"Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back." Harvey Mackay
After welcome and introductions, ask members some of the following questions to start off the discussion.
- Is the saying 'Time Flies' an accurate reflection on life?
- Does the passing of time speed up as you grow older? Why do you think that might be?
- What was the happiest time of your life?
- What are some of the good things about being older?
Next, complete these idioms together, by way of a shout out ...
A stitch in time saves NINE
Having a whale of a TIME
Too much time on your HANDS
Works like CLOCKWORK
Time waits for no MAN
In the blink of an EYE
Once in a blue MOON
At the eleventh HOUR
The crack of DAWN
Counting down until MIDNIGHT
In the nick of TIME
Better late than NEVER
Against the CLOCK
Third time LUCKY
In the long RUN
In one fail SWOOP
I wasn't born YESTERDAY
How time FLIES
PICTURE & MUSIC QUIZ
Round 1. Times & Dates
1. At what time and on what date do the clocks go forward (BST)?
And backward (GMT)?
2. When is the longest day (Summer Solstice)?
And shortest day (Winter Solstice)?
3. Name the four seasons?
How many months of the year have 28 days?
(Anyone remember the rhyme?)
4. Name the four UK & Ireland patron saints?
What date is yours?
5. How many bank holidays are there in 2022?
6. When was the last total eclipse of the sun in the UK?
Anyone chance a guess at the next one?
7. When is 'Armistice Day' remembered?
How long is the silence after the 'Last Post'?
8. What date and time is the 'Queen's Speech'?
9. On what date was 'The Coronation'?
So what is the anniversary that will be celebrated in 2022?
10. What is the celebration going on in this photograph?
Which landmark is seen?
11. Which sporting event is taking place in Birmingham in summer 2022 (28 Jul-8 Aug)?
SINGALONG with the lyrics video
12. Complete the titles of some of his other hit songs:
- 'Blowin' In *** ****'
- 'Like A ******* ****'
- 'Knockin' On ******* ****'
- 'Lay **** ***'
Round 2. Art & Literature
13. Name this 1951 sci-fi movie?
Can anyone think of the robot's name?
14. Name this 1960 sci fi movie?
Who wrote the book?
15. Who wrote this book?
What number was the dreaded room?
16. Name this 1956 movie?
What are the names of the two main characters pictured here?
17. Name this American 1960-70s sci-fi TV series?
18. Name this 1985 sci-fi movie?
Name the two characters pictured here?
19. Name the lead actor in this 1974 movie?
Can you name the flying dinosaur (top right) and the dinosaur in the water?
20. Name this time travel machine?
21. How many of these 'Dr Who' actors can you name?
22. Name this 2008 movie?
Who, pictured, starred in the movie?
23. Can you name this 1993 movie?
Who, pictured, starred in it?
24. Can you name this 1990s TV comedy series?
And the lead actor in the middle?
25. Complete her other hit song titles:
- 'Girls Just **** ** **** ***'
- 'True *******'
- 'I Drove *** *****'
Round 3. Clocks
An easier round. Just name the clock ...
Round 4. Time For Some Music About Time
37. Who starred in this 1942 movie?
38. Who else had a hit single with 'At Seventeen'?
39. Who was the lead singer with 'Fairport Convention'?
40. Complete these titles of some of Joni's best albums?
- 'Lady Of *** ******'
- 'Court And *****'
- 'The Hissing Of ****** *****'
41. Name the brother and sister?
42. Which group had a hit in 1979 with 'Message In A Bottle'?
43. Which 'Beatle' wrote this song?
44. Which two actors who starred in this 1987 movie?
45. What is Cher's real name?
46. Which member of 'Pink Floyd' is pictured on this single cover?
Which best selling 1973 album is this track from?
I included this 'Genesis' album track because the video is the 1902 French silent movie 'Le Voyage Dans La Lune' ('A Trip To The Moon'). You might milk to play it whilst scores are being totted up?
A message in a bottle has washed up on the same shores it is thought to have started its journey from 82 years ago.
Nigel Hill was walking his dog on a beach in St Aubin, Jersey, when he stumbled upon the glass bottle on Tuesday morning.
A note inside - dated 1938 - asks the finder to "communicate" with a man called John Stapleford.
It appears on the back of a cake box, which can be traced to the once Jersey-based company Cawley Bros.
People investigating the bottle said that led them to believe the note had originated from the island and they had guessed it was sent by Mr Stapleford, who was curious about whether anyone would find it.
The message includes an address for Mr Stapleford in Hertfordshire.
Mr Hill said the discovery had prompted him to track down the relatives of Mr Stapleford, adding the support from people in Jersey had been "overwhelming".
Jersey resident, Phil Le Cheminant, said "incredible records" revealed Mr Stapleford had been a civil servant.
Why he was in Jersey remains "a part of the puzzle we are yet to solve", said Mr Le Cheminant.
Ask members to write a 'Message In A Bottle' that conveys who they are to future generations.
Ask them to add a drawing or significant photo.
(You could make these for real and demonstrate the bottles.)
Or you could make a (pretend) Time Capsule, to be opened by the next generation in 100 years. Ask members to draw one thing which would help people of the future understand our past.
1. Clocks change (usually) at 2am. In 2022 'Spring Forward' on Sunday 27th March and 'Fall Back' on Sunday 30th October (last Sunday in March and last Sunday in October)
2. The 'Summer Solstice' is on 21st June and the 'Winter Solstice is on 21st December
3. Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall (Autumn). (Remember the Carole King song 'You've Got A Friend' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAR_Ff5A8Rk
They all have 28 days (trick question)
4. Wales - St David - 1st March
Ireland - St Patrick - 17th March
England - St George - 23rd April
Scotland - St Andrew - 30th November
(Flowers are Daffodil, Shamrock, Rose & Thistle)
5. New Year's Day Mon, 3 Jan 2022 Good Friday Fri, 15 Apr 2022 Easter Monday Mon, 18 Apr 2022 Early May Bank Holiday Mon, 2 May 2022 Spring Bank Holiday Thu, 2 Jun 2022
Platinum Jubilee bank holiday Fri, 3 Jun 2022 * (Extra) Summer Bank Holiday Mon, 29 Aug 2022 Boxing Day Mon, 26 Dec 2022 Christmas Day Tue, 27 Dec 2022
6. 11 mins past 11, August 11 1999 / There will be a partial solar eclipse in March 2025, with between 40 and 60 percent coverage, depending on where you are in the UK. The next total solar eclipse visible from the UK will be on 12 August 2026, plunging the UK into near-darkness.
7. 11 mins past 11, November 11 / Two minutes silence
8. 3pm December 25
9. 2 June 1953 / Platinum
10. New Year / 'London Eye'
11. 'Commonwealth Games' Birmingham 28 Jul-8 Aug
12. - 'Blowin' In THE WIND'
- 'Like A ROLLING STONE'
- 'Knockin' On HEAVEN'S DOOR'
- 'Lay LADY LAY'
13. 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' / Gort
14. 'The Time Machine' / HG Wells
15. George Orwell / 'Room 101'
16. 'Around The World In 80 Days' / Phileas Fogg & Passepartout
17. 'The Time Machine'
18. 'Back To The Future' / Marty McFly & Doc Brown
19. Doug McClure / Tyrannosaurus Rex & Pterodactyl
22. 'The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button' / Brad Pitt
23. 'Groundhog Day' / Bill Murray
24. 'Goodnight Sweetheart' / Nicholas Lyndhurst
25. - 'Girls Just WANT TO HAVE FUN'
- 'True COLOURS'
- 'I Drove ALL NIGHT'
26. Egg Timer
27. Fob Watch
28. Carriage Clock
29. Sun Dial
31. Dandelion Clock
32. Alarm Clock
33. Grandfather Clock
34. Digital Clock
35. Stop Watch
36. Cuckoo Clock
37. Humphry Bogart & Ingrid Bergman
38. Janis Ian
39. Sandy Denny
40. - 'Lady Of THE CANYON'