“I may not be a lion, but I am lion's cub and I have lion’s heart.” - Queen Elizabeth I
The Queen's birthday was on 21st April 1926 (she is 95). You could use this CST activities page to celebrate that occasion, or her official birthday on 11th June 2022 (date varies). Or you could use it any time you feel to be appropriate.
Begin the session by asking what members think of the Royal Family?
What are the good things about the monarchy?
- life of dedication and service, stability and continuation, political balance, public focus in troubled times, tourism
What about the negative things?
- wealth and property, scandals (they are just human, after all!), a life of sacrifice
Have members a favourite member of the Royal Family?
Have members collected any Royal memorabilia over the years? (Did everyone get this 'Prince Of Wales Investiture Mug'?)
Has anyone visited Buckingham Palace, e.g. to attend a 'Royal Garden Party' or 'Queen's Awards Ceremony'?
What other Royal places or palaces have been visited?
Has anyone met a member of the Royal Family?
FACTOID. One addresses Her Majesty as 'Mam as in Spam' not 'Marm as in Smarm'?
Complete these phrases together ...
Tower Of LONDON
Roll out the red CARPET
Pay a King's RANSOM
A right Royal PAIN IN THE PROVERBIAL
The Royal WE
King of the WORLD ('Titanic' movie)
Build castles in the AIR
The emperor's new CLOTHES
On the porcelain THRONE
Prince and PAUPER
Princess and the PEA
Grand Old Duke Of YORK (How many men did he have?)
Jewel in the CROWN
Until Kingdom COME
Make bunting and flags. (They'll come in handy later!)
NB There are loads of 'How to' guides on YouTube and templates to use on Google.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. People
1. What date was the 'Coronation Of Queen Elizabeth 11'?
Where was she holidaying when she heard of the death of her father, King George V1?
2. What was her husband's full name?
What nationality was he?
3. What date was Prince Charles's 'Investiture' as 'Prince Of Wales'?
Which Welsh castle did it take place in?
4. What date was Prince Charles's first marriage?
Who did he marry?
5. Who is Prince Charles's second wife?
Will she be Queen?
6. Name Princess Anne's first and second husbands?
7. Name this Royal ex-couple?
8. Name this Royal couple?
9. Name this Royal family's members?
10. Which Royal couple recently 'left' the Royal family?
THE QUEEN'S FOOD
11. SONG BREAK. 'Dancing Queen', ABBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s
True or False. If (in younger years) at a function and 'Dancing Queen' came on, the Queen would get up and dance to it?
Ask members to guess at what the Queen has to eat and drink each day?
"The Queen meets with the head chef to the royal household twice a week, to decide what meals she fancies.
Breakfast: The Queen likes cereal, usually Special K, and fruit, or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, according to a former chef.
Lunch: Former chef Owen Hodgson said he would often make the Queen mushrooms with a bit of Marmite, and crustless tuna sandwiches with thinly sliced cucumber and pepper.
Evening meals: She’ll often have an evening meal consisting of something like grilled sole with vegetables and salad.
To drink: The Queen likes a gin and Dubonnet with a slice of lemon and ice, and also likes wine and champagne with dinner."
Apparently, when on a long train or plane journey she enjoys something simple, like a Fray Bentos pie!
Round 2. Places
12. Name the Palace?
And the road that it sits at the end of?
13. Name the Castle?
What year was the Queen's "Annus Horribilis"?
14. Name the Royal residence?
Which English county is it in?
15. Name the Scottish Castle?
What breed are the Royal dogs?
16. Which flag flies when the Queen is at home?
17. Where does the Queen lay a wreath of poppies each year?
And on what date?
18. Name the occasion?
19. At which Royal event does the Queen's horse ride each year?
20. Name the boat?
VIDEO BREAK. 'Who Does One Think One Is?'
21. Have members watch this comedy clip and guess at who is playing the Queen?
Round 3. History
22. Which guards and birds protect the 'Tower of London'?
23. Name the treasure?
Which is the most valuable diamond and how much is it worth (nearest guess)?
24. Which King's remains were recently discovered in a car park excavation in Leicester?
25. Name the last Tudor monarch? (She died unmarried and childless in 1603)
Are the two related?
26. Name the Royal couple? (Still taken from a recent ITV dramatisation) (There is a museum named after them!)
27. Name the Royal couple who fictitiously visited 'Downton Abbey' in the recent movie? (It was around about 1927)