"Dance with the waves, move with the sea, let the rhythm of the water set your soul free."
Christy Ann Martine
This new CST activities page has been prepared to celebrate the 52nd anniversary of the release of the Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' album on 16th January 1969. It could also be used for 'World Maritime Day' on 29th September.
Begin the session by asking members if they enjoy travelling by ship (ferry, cruise ship or yacht)?
To which destinations have members travelled across water?
Has anyone owned or rented a boat, maybe a canal barge or a speedboat or a dinghy?
What are the best things about being on the water or sea?
Does anyone get seasick? What are the best remedies?
Next, here are some well known phrases for members to complete by way of a shout out ...
(It's a good way to build confidence before the quiz proper.)
Like a fish out of WATER
Having a whale of a TIME
The world is your OYSTER
The coast is CLEAR
A drop in the OCEAN
Down in the DOLDRUMS
As the crow FLIES
Plenty more fish in the SEA
Run a tight SHIP
All hands on DECK
Sail close to the WIND
Don't rock the BOAT
It's all plain SAILING
Between the devil and the deep BLUE SEA
A face that launched a THOUSAND SHIPS
Like rats abandoning a SINKING SHIP
Like rearranging deck chairs on the TITANIC
Like ships that pass in the NIGHT
Come hell or high WATER
Rub a dub three men in the TUB
Ho ho ho and a bottle of RUM
FIRST SONG. 'Yellow Submarine', The Beatles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uTFF_3MaA
Ask members to sing along ...
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
NB simplify to help members answer more questions successfully by giving clues such as first names or initials etc
Round 1. Top 10 Historic Ships
1. Which British King's warship, launched in 1511, was named the 'Mary Rose'?
(Now in Portsmouth)
2. Which explorer circumnavigated the globe on the 'Golden Hind' between 1577-1580?
(Replica in Brixham)
3. Which statesman's galleon, the 'Ark Royal', was the flagship that saw first action in the battles against the Spanish Armada in 1588?
(Sunk in 1636)
4. Which group of people set sail from Plymouth on the 'Mayflower' in 1620?
(Her fate remains unknown)
5. Which scientist set sail from Plymouth on 'HMS Beagle' from Plymouth in 1831?
(Dismantled for scrap)
6. Who designed the 'SS Great Britain', which was the longest passenger ship in the world from 1845 to 1854?
(Now in Bristol)
7. Which cargo did the 'Cutty Sark' (the fastest sailing ship of its time) bring back from its first return journey to Shanghai in 1869?
(Now in Greenwich)
8. Which admiral fought in the 'Battle Of Trafalgar' in 1895 on the flagship 'HMS Victory'?
(Now in Portsmouth)
9. Which explorer set sail from Cardiff in 1910 on the whaler 'Terra Nova'?
(Wreck discovered off Greenland)
10. 'RMS Titanic', billed as an unsinkable ship, hit an iceberg and sank on April 15, 1912. How many souls were saved?
SONG BREAK. 'My Heart Will Go On', Celine Dion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbw8OycJrE
Round 2. More Recent Ships
11. What was the name of the expedition undertaken by the Norwegian writer Thor Heyerdahl in 1948 (he wanted to prove people from South America could have reached Polynesia before Columbus)?
12. What was the name of the tanker that spilt oil in Alaskan seas in 1989?
13. What year did Her Majesty give up her beloved 'Royal Yacht Britannia'?
14. What is the name of the cruiser permanently moored on the Thames?
15. Which organisation's ship was sunk by French Intelligence in Auckland in 1985?
16. What was the name of the ferry which capsized moments after leaving Zeebrugge in March 1987?
17. What name did the public give to the polar research ship 'Sir David Attenborough' before its name was changed in 2018?
18. Which ship is pictured alongside JMW Turner on the new £20 polymer bank note?
19. In which canal did the cargo ship 'Ever Given' get stuck in 2021?
20. What is the name of the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world?
SONG BREAK. 'Ferry 'Cross The Mersey', Gerry Marsden & The Pacemakers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os4_U3_L5nY
Round 3. TV
21. Name the TV show? (Intro titles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwi5CHTqJEc )
What was the name of his ship?
22. Name the TV show? (Intro titles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHB1zd1f5M )
What was the name of his friend?
23. Name the TV show? (Song here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOYqoPkdc8 )
Name the lady?
24. Name the TV show? (Intro titles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39u2y-wYgPQ )
Name the submarine?
25. Name the TV show? (Intro titles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_X9_UsoNEw )
In which city was it set?
26. Name the TV show? (Intro titles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYcyDoh-XI )
Name the ship?