(You could also use this CST activities page for St Andrew's Day, which is on 30th November.)
'Burns Night' is celebrated annually in Scotland on or around 25th January. It commemorates the life of the bard (poet) Robert Burns, who was born on 25th January 1759. The day also celebrates Burns's contribution to British culture. His best known work is the New Year's song 'Auld Lang Syne'.
Ask members what they like about Scotland and Scottish people?
Has anyone visited or lived there?
What are the things that remind us of Scotland? Begin to make a list.
Ask members to complete the following Sottish inspired sayings ...
Better bend than - BREAK
A nod is as good as a wink to a - BLIND HORSE
Don't teach your Grandmother to - SUCK EGGS
Many a mickle makes a - MUCKLE
Speak of the - DEVIL
Beggars can't be - CHOOSERS
No fool like an - OLD FOOL
You can't make a silk purse out of a - SOW'S EAR
Get away with it - SCOT FREE
If the cat's away the mice will - PLAY
Be happy while you’re living, for you’re a long time - DEAD
A fool and his money are soon - PARTED
A friend in need is a friend - INDEED
Birds of a feather flock - TOGETHER
In one ear and out - THE OTHER
Look after the pennies and the pounds will - LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES
"Skinny Malinke - LONGLEGS!"
"It's a dreich - DAY!"
“Och aye the - NOO!”
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Scottish Symbols
1. Name the two Scottish flags?
2. Name this flower of Scotland?
What are the flowers of the other nations of the UK?
3. What instrument is this?
What uniformed person is playing it?
4. What dance is this?
What material/clothes are they wearing?
5. What are the names of the Scottish hat and purse worn in this picture?
6. What sport is this?
At what event is it played?
7. Nearest guess. What percentage of people in Scotland are ginger haired?
8. SONG. 'Auld Langs Syne', The Irish Rovers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwkqYepulQ4
What does 'Auld Langs Syne' mean?
ROUND 2. Food & Drink
9.. What is being served here?
What is 'Sheep's Pluck'?
10. 'Irn Bru' used to be called 'Iron Brew' because the colour came from iron girders?
11. Which series of Enid Blyton books is the phrase "Lashings of ginger beer" associated with?
12. Name the top selling brand of Scottish whisky in the UK?
What does "Slàinte Mhath!" (Gaelic) mean?
13. What is this 'delicacy'?
Nearest guess. How many calories?
14. Which company makes this?
What is called 'doing porridge'?
15. What are the three ingredients used to make traditional Scottish shortbread?
16. 'Donald, Where's Yer Troosers?', Andy Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZI4LpKrnY
Complete these traditional Scottish song titles ...
'The Bonnie Banks O' .... ......'
'The Skye Boat ....'
'Scotland The .....'
ROUND 3. TV & Film
17. Name the 1946 movie (the dog's name will do)?
Who is the actress pictured here?
18. Name the 1969 movie?
Who is the actress? (She was in her 'prime')
19. Name the 1995 movie?
Name the actor (playing William Wallace)?
20. Name the 2001 movie?
Who voiced him, in a Scottish accent?
21. Name the 2006 movie?
Name the actress?
22. Name the actor?
He starred as the tenth what?
23. Name the actor?
He starred in seven films as which character?
24. Name the actor?
Name the TV show about a Scottish policeman?
25. Name the actor?
Name the TV show?
26. Name the children's comedy duo?
What was their catchphrase?
27. SONG. 'I Dreamed A Dream', Susan Boyle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk
What musical is this song from?
Which dance group beat her in the 2009 talent show 'Britain's Got Talent'?
ROUND 3. Other Famous Scottish People
28. Who is the Scottish First Minister (her name is a bit fishy)?
29. Name this singer?
What was the name of the group to which she belonged with Dave Stewart?
Their only UK number one in 1985 was what? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdneDxFRYQ
('Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This' real he'd number 2, so it's not that! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg )
30. Name the sporting hero?
What was his nickname?
31. Name the sporting hero?
Which two teams did he play for?
32. Name the sporting hero?
What year did he win Wimbledon?
33. Name the sporting hero?
Where do they play?
34. Name the reality TV star?
Name the first reality TV show?
For a bonus point, what was the island called?
35. Name the comedian?
What is his nickname?
36. Name the TV presenter?
37. Name this TV presenter?
Which show about adoption does he present with Davina McCall?
38. SONG. 'Shout', Lulu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OhWW9d7wk
What was her only UK number one in 1993 (with 'Take That'?
ROUND 4. Places
39. What is the name of this royal residence?
How do you know when the Queen is at home?
40. Where is this?
What MIGHT you find in the waters?
(Do any members believe in the legend?)
41. What is this called?
What is it for?
42. What are these called?
Where does a Knight sit on a chess board?
43. Where is this (the bridge sort of ruins the song)?
44, Name the castle?
What military ceremony takes place here in August?
45. Which sports venue is this? - G..........
What is the 19th hole called?
46. What is this structure?
Nearest guess. How many miles long is it (from coast to coast)?
47. Which train is this?
Nearest guess. How fast could it travel at top speed?
48. What might people do to get here?
What type of wedding might they have?
49. SONG. '500 Miles', The Proclaimers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0
Nearest Guess. How many miles is it from Lands End to John O'Groats?
50. 'Bye Bye Baby', Bay City Rollers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJ9R1NSfhc
True or False. They got their name by randomly sticking a pin into a map of the United States and it stuck near the community of Bay City, Michigan
BONUS SONG. 'Love Is All Around', Wet Wet Wet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gEkwhdXUE
What movie is this song from?
FINAL SONG. 'Flower Of Scotland' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN87mVzL28s
To be played as scores are added up or refreshments are enjoyed - Irn Bru and Shortbread, or if members are feeling braver, Haggis (vegan options are available).
Ask members to have a go at making their own unique Tartan. You could either use a template printed off the internet (there are lots of templates available), or make a pattern freehand.
Play some more Scottish music during this activity ....
'Don't You Forget About Me', Simple Minds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
'Vienna', Ultravox - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I
'The Whole Of The Moon', The Waterboys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7AR0-FRro
1. THE SALTIRE OR ST ANDREW'S FLAG & THE LION RAMPANT OR ROYAL FLAG OF SCOTLAND
2. THISTLE / WALES - DAFFODIL, ENGLAND - ROSE, IRELAND - SHAMROCK
3. BAGPIPES / ROYAL SCOTS GUARD
4. HIGHLAND FLING / KILTS
5. TAM O'SHANTER & SPORRAN
6. TOSSING THE CABER / HIGHLAND GAMES
8. 'OLD LONG SINCE' OR 'TIMES GONE BY'
9. HAGGIS WITH NEEPS AND TATTIES AND A SINGLE MALT / SHEEP'S HEART LIVER & LUNGS
10. FALSE (They changed the name because they were challenged over the 'Iron' statement in advertising, as it only contains 0.002% iron hydroxide!)
11. FAMOUS FIVE
12. JOHNNIE WALKER / CHEERS
13. DEEP FRIED MARS BAR / 600
14. QUAKERS / PRISON SENTENCE
15. Traditional Scottish shortbread is usually made from one part WHITE SUGAR, two parts BUTTER, and three to four parts PLAIN FLOUR
16. 'The Bonnie Banks O' - LOCH LOMOND'
'Amazing - GRACE'
'The Skye Boat - SONG'
'Scotland The - BRAVE'
17. 'THE COURAGE OF LASSIE' / ELIZABETH TAYLOR
18. 'THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE' / MAGGIE SMITH
19. 'BRAVEHEART' / MEL GIBSON
20. 'SHREK' / MIKE MYERS
21. 'THE QUEEN' / HELEN MIRREN
22. DAVID TENNANT / 'DOCTOR WHO'
23. SEAN CONNERY / 'JAMES BOND'
24. ROBERT CARLYLE / 'HAMISH MACBETH'
25. RICHARD BRIERS / 'MONARCH OF THE GLEN'
26. 'THE KRANKIES' / "FANDABIDOSI"
27. 'LES MISERABLES' / 'DIVERSITY'
28. NICOLA STURGEON
29. ANNIE LENNOX / 'THE EURYTHMICS' / 'THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL'
30. JACKIE STEWART / 'THE FLYING SCOT'
31. KENNY DALGLISH / CELTIC & LIVERPOOL
32. ANDY MURRAY / 2013
33. GREG LAIDLAW / 'MURRAYFIELD'
34. BEN FOGLE / 'CASTAWAY' / TARANSAY
35. BILLY CONNELLY / 'THE BIG YIN'