"As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today... Oh, how I wish he'd go away."
This week's theme for our virtual 'Friendship Group' was 'Halloween', as 31st October is fast approaching.
We started the session, as usual, with introductions and each of us saying if we liked or loathed Halloween, or as America calls it ‘Trick Or Treating’. We also asked members if they went to a Halloween Fancy Dress Party what costumes they would wear. Some members came wearing make up and wigs.
We then went on to list things we associate with Halloween. This was our list:
- Fancy dress - Witches hats, Dracula teeth, Broomsticks, White sheets, Skeleton costumes.
- Trick or treating & getting doors and cars egged and floured
- Face painting
- Bobbing apples
- Toffee apples
- Ghost stories
- Pumpkin carving
- Black cats
And, of course, 'All Saints Day' which is the day that follows Halloween ('Hallowed Evening' is where the name Halloween comes from).
IDIOMS FOR HALLOWEEN
Next, we completed these phrases together ...
Makes your blood run - COLD (so frightened you can feel it all over)
Play devil's - ADVOCATE (argue an unpopular opinion)
In cold - BLOOD (purposefully ruthless)
Like a bat out of - HELL (something that happens quickly and unexpectedly)
Over my dead - BODY (no way am I allowing that to happen)
Skeleton in the - CLOSET (keeping a secret)
Stab in the - BACK (betrayal of trust)
Scared - STIFF (so frightened you can't move)
Ghost - TOWN (deserted place)
Let the cat out of the - BAG (reveal a secret)
Send shivers down your - SPINE (a frightened or excited feeling)
Dig your own - GRAVE (do something that causes you harm)
Scare the - PANTS - off someone (frighten somebody)
Witching - HOUR (midnight)
Someone walking over your - GRAVE (response to sudden unexplained shivering)
Goose - BUMPS (physical reaction to fear)
Trick or - TREAT (Another name for Halloween)
Scaredy - CAT (Someone who is easily spooked)
Once in a blue - MOON (Infrequently)
Jump out of your - SKIN (Terrified)
Song of the Witches: “Double, double toil and trouble”
Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble. Fillet of a fenny snake, In the cauldron boil and bake; Eye of newt and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog, Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg and howlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble. Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble. Cool it with a baboon's blood, Then the charm is firm and good.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Focus on engagement and enjoyment rather than competition.
Give lots of clues, such as initials and first names.
Celebrate all contributions including singing and dancing.
Encourage story telling and reminiscence.
Reduce content and simplify as necessary in order to promote active inclusion.
Above all else, have fun with it!
ROUND 1. Horror Characters
“I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel...”
1. Who starred as the monster in the 1994 movie 'Frankenstein'?
How was the monster brought to life?
Who wrote the book in 1818?
“Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!”
2. Who starred as Dracula in the 1992 movie 'Dracula'?
What are the ways to repel a vampire? What is the only way to kill one?
Who wrote the 1897 book?
"Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors!"
3. A human infected with the bite of a Werewolf turns into one when?
How do you kill a Werewolf?
What was the name of the pub in this 1981 movie?
"You will not remember what I show you now, and yet I shall awaken memories of love... and crime... and death..."
4. Where do Mummies come from?
Who played the Mummy in the original 1932 movie?
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
5. Who starred as Harry Potter in the series of movies?
Complete the names of the movies ...
'Harry Potter and Philosopher's - *****'
'Harry Potter and the Chamber of - ******'
'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of - *******'
'Harry Potter and the Goblet of - ****'
'Harry Potter and the Order of the - *******'
'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood - ******'
'Harry Potter and the Deathly - *******'
Who was his arch enemy?
"ARRRRRGH! — YOU CURSED BRAT! LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE! I'm MELTING!"
6. In the 1939 movie 'The Wizard Of Oz', what was the name of 'The Good Witch Of The South'?
How did she help Dorothy go home?
(after many failed plans) "Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
7. What is the horror genre character in the 2004 movie 'Sean Of The Dead'?
Who is the lead actor pictured in colour here?
8. SONG. 'Monster Mash', Bobby Pickett & The Crypt Kickers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2PoSljk8cE
Where was Dracula's homeland?
Which Yorkshire seaside town is he associated with?
ROUND 2. Horror Movies
"I see dead people!"
9. Who, pictured here, starred in the 1999 ghost movie 'Sixth Sense'?
What was the twist in the story at the end (spoiler alert!)?
10. In the 1982 ghost movie 'Poltergeist', what was the name of the new town built on the ancient Indian burial site?
Which sinister character (a children's toy) was under Robbie's bed?
11. In the 1980 horror movie 'The Shining', who played the part of Jack Torrance?
Who wrote the book?
"OH PLEASE MOTHER, MAKE IT STOP!!!"
12. In the 1973 horror movie 'The Exorcist', what was the name of the girl possessed of a demon?
Which Mike Oldfield album was used as the title music to this movie?
"Mother's not feeling herself today."
13. In the 1960 thriller 'Psycho', who played the parts of Norman Bates and his mother?
Who directed this movie?
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti!"
14. In the 1991 thriller 'Silence Of The Lambs', who were the two lead actors and what parts did they play?
"You know it's Halloween. I guess everyone's entitled to one good scare, huh?"
15. In the 1978 slasher movie, what is the name of the villain?
Which lead actress is pictured here?
16. SONG. 'Ghostbusters', Ray Parker Jnr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe93CLbHjxQ
Name these three cast members from the 1984 movie?
ROUND 3. TV
* Links to opening titles are included *
17. Name the characters from 'The Adams Family'?
Play the titles and ask members to click along - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5IWRz78DY
18. Name the father in 'The Munsters'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTIqK9nFH8
19. Name the two characters of 'Bewitched' pictured here? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jbX8GX83E
How were spells cast by the main character?
20. What happened at the end of every episode of 'Scooby Doo'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY
What was the name of their vehicle?
21. Which children's author wrote 'Tales Of The Unexpected'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc46Gk-6qrA&t=38s
22. Who were the detectives and actors in 'The X Files'? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIh8VPoPBhk
23. Name these two actors who featured regularly in 'Hammer House Of Horror' TV films and jointly starred in the 1959 movie 'Hound Of The Baskervilles'?
Who wrote the novel?
24. SONG. 'Time Warp', 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umj0gu5nEGs
(Shall we get up and do the dance moves?)
Which host of the TV quiz show 'The Crystal Maze' wrote this musical?
ROUND 4. More Movies
"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"
25. In the 1975 movie 'Jaws', what type of fish was trying to sink the boat?
What was the name of the boat?
"You tell me your name, I'll tell you mine."
26. Who, pictured here, is screaming in the 1996 movie 'Scream'?
Who directed this movie and the subsequent sequels?
"One, Two, Freddy's Coming For You
Three, Four Better Lock Your Door
Five, Six Grab A Crucifix
Nine, Ten Never Sleep Again!"
27. In the 1984 slasher movie 'Nightmare On Elm Street', what is the name of the villain?
"This is no dream. It's really happening!"
28. In the 1968 horror movie 'Rosemary's Baby', who starred as Rosemary?
Who directed the movie?
"Look Mister, there are some rules that you've got to follow."
29. In the 1984 comedy horror movie 'Gremlins', what are the three things you should never do to the Mogwai?
"'The Birds' could be the most terrifying motion picture I have made!"
30. Who starred in the 1963 horror movie 'The Birds'?
Who wrote the novella?
"In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream."
31. In the 1971 sci-fi movie, whose stomach did the Alien burst out of?
(I bet it hurt!)
Who directed this movie?
32. SONG. 'Music Of The Night', Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman -
Who wrote the music for the music 'Phantom Of The Opera'?
True or False. He was married to Sarah Brightman at the time of the launch of the musical?
33. SONG. 'Superstition', Stevie Wonder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXsxvdF481I
List some common superstitions?
Does anyone have any of these?
34. SONG. 'Bat Out Of Hell', Meatloaf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDYGdeYjn4
* Start video at 1:45 *
Meatloaf. What is Meatloaf's real name?
Interesting Fact: Released in 1977, 'Meatloaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell' is the third best selling of all time with 55m sales.
35. SONG. 'Thriller', Michael Jackson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7SnXScLAg8 (short version)
Who directed this acclaimed music video?
Which horror actor speaks at the end?
Interesting Fact: Released in 1982, Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' is the best selling album of all time, with 66m sales.
36. 'Stairway To Heaven', Led Zeppelin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnu1E5Kslig
This song seemed like a good antidote to all the horror!
The lead singer with Led Zeppelin was?
The day after Halloween is?
1. Robert De Niro
2. Gary Oldman
Repelled by daylight, crucifixes, mirrors, garlic and a ring of fire
Can only be killed with a stake through the heart
3. On a full moon
A silver bullet through the heart
'The Slaughtered Lamb'
4. Ancient Egypt
5. Daniel Radcliffe
'Harry Potter and Philosopher's - STONE'
'Harry Potter and the Chamber of - SECRETS'
'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of - AZKABAN'
'Harry Potter and the Goblet of - FIRE'
'Harry Potter and the Order of the - PHOENIX'
'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood - PRINCE'
'Harry Potter and the Deathly - HALLOWS'
She told her to click her ruby heels together
8. Transylvania & Whitby
9. Haley Joel Osmont & Bruce Willis
Bruce Willis' character was actually a ghost
10. 'Cuesta Verde'
11. Jack Nicholson
Bat Out Of Hell
13. Anthony Hopkins
14. Anthony Hopkins / Hannibal Lecter
Jodie Foster / Clarice Starling
15. Michael Myers
Jamie Lee Curtis
16. Sigourney Weaver, Bill Murray & Dan Ackroyd
17. Gomez, Morticia, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Grandmama, Cousin It, Lurch & Thing
19. Samantha & Darren
Twitching her nose
20. The villain was unmasked
'The Mystery Machine'
21. Roald Dahl
22. Gillian Anderson / Dana Scully
Fox Mulder / David Duchovny
23. Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
24. Richard O'Brien
25. Great White Shark
26. Drew Barrymore
27. Freddie Krueger
28. Mia Farrow
29. Do not expose the Mogwai to light, especially sunlight, which will kill it
Do not let it come in contact with water
Above all, never feed it after midnight
30. Tippi Hedren