Collective action across 150 countries is what makes 'World Food Day' one of the most celebrated days of the UN calendar. Hundreds of events and outreach activities bring together governments, businesses, NGOs, the media, and general public. They promote worldwide awareness and action for those who suffer from hunger and for the need to ensure healthy diets for all.
This week's CST activities page has a theme of 'Food & Drink', as it is 'World Food Day' on 16th October.
After welcome and introductions, ask members what is their favourite meal?
Does their favourite meal feature in this list?
'She Knows' Top 10 Favourite dishes in UK. 1. Fish and chips 2. Pizza 3. Chinese stir fry 4. Chicken tikka massala 5. Spaghetti bolognese 6. Thai green curry 7. Roast dinner 8. Bangers and mash 9. Sweet and sour chicken 10. Shepherd's pie
We thought about missing dishes that we were surprised not to find on the list: - Steak and chips - Full English breakfast - Steak and kidney pie - Lasagne - Toad in the hole - Cullen skink (Scottish haddock soup) Also some classic puddings: - Bread and butter pudding - Apple crumble - Trifle
We then thought about foods that members' really dislike?
- Brawn - Tripe - Jellied Eel - Black pudding - Liver
Next, we completed the following phrases together ... One potato, two potatoes ... THREE POTATOES, FOUR Four and twenty blackbirds ... BAKED IN A PIE Sing a song of sixpence ... A POCKET FULL OF RYE Pat a cake, pat a cake ... BAKER'S MAN Who stole the tarts ... THE KNAVE OF HEARTS Too many cooks ... SPOIL THE BROTH It tastes as ... GOOD AS IT LOOKS An apple a day ... KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY She's got a face that could ... TURN MILK SOUR For mash get ... SMASH Go to work on ... AN EGG Daddy or ... CHIPS I can't believe it's not ... BUTTER Just like mama used to make ... DOLMIO Chick chick chick chicken ... LAY A LITTLE EGG FOR ME Hot cross buns, hot cross buns ... ONE A PENNY TWO A PENNY
Oh Simon Is A Funny One... HE'S GOT A FACE LIKE A PICKLED ONION, GOT A NOSE LIKE A SQUASHED TOMATO, AND FEET LIKE FLAT FISH
FIRST SINGALONG. Which musical does the song 'Food Glorious Food' come from?
Which character and actor was he asking for more gruel from?
YouTube link - Singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7PONiKGUs
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Savoury
1. What does the 'H.P.' stand for in HP Sauce?
2. Name the spread?
Where does the yeast come from?
3. What fish is a kipper?
What meal would you traditionally have these for?
4. According to Italians, what is the correct way to serve pasta?
(Does anyone remember the 'Panorama' April Fool's joke?)
5. Which herb & which nut are used to make pesto sauce?
6. Which fish does caviar come from?
How much is 50g (1.76 ounces) of 'Royal Beluga' caviar? (Nearest guess)
7. According to 'BBC Food', how long do you boil a large egg for it to be soft boiled (runny yolk)?
Our next song is 'How D'Ya Like Your Eggs In The Morning', sung by Dean Martin and Helen O'Connell. YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsYgqQ0zEk
(Ask members how they like to take their eggs? - Sunny Side Up, Over Easy, Poached, Hard Boiled, Scrambled, Omelette, Eggs Benedict, Scotch, Pickled etc)
Round 2. Sweet
8. What were the four original flavours of 'Bird's Angel Delight'?
9. Which pastry is used to make profiteroles?
10. Is this a Cornish or Devon cream tea?
11. What nut is marzipan made from?
12. What is a Pontefract cake made of?
13. What is a 'Marathon Bar' called now?
14. What Ice cream did the song 'O Sole Mio' help advertise in the 1980s?
And where was the advert set?
YouTube link - Singalong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSNVBLTXYY
Round 3. Fruit & Veg
15. What are the only two vegetables to grow perennially (come back every year) in the UK?
16. Which vegetable has two varieties, Jerusalem and globe?
17. What fruit is guacamole made from?