"It's hard to beat the person who never gives up."
Babe Ruth, Major League Baseball Player "If you fail to prepare, you're prepared to fail."
Mark Spitz, Olympic Swimmer "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well."
Founder of the Olympic International Committee, Baron Pierre de Coubertin
The 'Tokyo Olympic Games 2021' start on 23rd July and it is ‘I Am Team GB Day’ on 14th August, so this week's CST ativities page is 'Summer Of Sport'.
After orientation, we went around the room and asked members: - What are their favourite sports? - Have they a favourite sporting hero or team? - Have they ever met any famous sports personality? Next we listed on the white board some ... Individual sports: - Diving - Javelin - High jump - Pole vaulting - Marathon - Gymnastics - Wrestling - Boxing - Cycling - Tennis Group sports: - Football - Rugby - Hockey - Volleyball - Relay - Basketball - Baseball - Cricket - Synchronised swimming - Netball Winter sports: - Bobsleigh - Slalom - Curling - Ice dancing - Speed skating - Ski jumping - Skeleton - Ice hockey - Snowboarding - Cross country skiing School sports: - Egg and spoon race - Sack race - One legged race - Aparatus - Rope - Tug O' War - Assault course - Climbing wall - Sponsored walk - Pony trekking We then asked, has anyone won any sporting medals or prizes? - Swimming medals - Life saving - Scouts or Brownies - Half Marathon - Duke Of Edinburgh
We then discussed which sports people most enjoyed and if anyone played sports competitively during their lifetime.
My good friend and colleague Karen Warlow, Medical Secretary for our local Young Onset Dementia Service, reminded me that individual sporting accomplishments can be a big part of a person's life. Here is a recent photo of her completing the 100km '2021 Race To The Stones'. Here's what she says about her running.
"Through running I've discovered places, trails and lifelong friends that I never would have! I love each separate challenge, long or short, flat or hilly. It's now become part of my daily routine - RED (running each day) since November 2020 ❤️"
Complete these well known phrases together ...
(Maybe just use a few of these)
Take your eye off the BALL
Cover all your BASES
Hand someone the BATON / TORCH
Saved by the BELL
Hit someone below the BELT
Too close to CALL
In with a fighting CHANCE
A game CHANGER
Out for the COUNT
Par for the COURSE
The ball's in your COURT
Out of your DEPTH
Go the full DISTANCE
Hit the bull's EYE
Level playing FIELD
Dive in head FIRST
Stay ahead of the GAME
On your marks, get set GO
Score an own GOAL
Jump the GUN
Back the wrong HORSE / TEAM
Fall at the first HURDLE
Hop skip and a JUMP
Out of their LEAGUE
Watch from the side LINES
Meet your MATCH
Hit the back of the NET
Win by a NOSE
We have kick OFF
Hole in ONE
It's a knock OUT
Three strikes and you're OUT
Set the PACE
Knock it out of the PARK
Step up to the PLATE
Have a game PLAN
Jockey for POSITION
First past the POST
Get the ball ROLLING
Play by the RULES
Hit a home RUN
Hit the ground RUNNING
Take the wind of of your SAILS
Batting for the other SIDE / TEAM
Give it your best SHOT
Be a good SPORT
On the home STRETCH
Sink or SWIM
Throw in the TOWEL
Score a hat TRICK
Punch above your WEIGHT
Down to the WIRE
ROUND 1. Crimes & Misdemeanours
1. Who said in 1981, "You cannot be serious?", during his first round Wimbledon match with Tom Gullikson?
2. Who tripped up who in the 3000m final in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics?
3. Who had a 'Hand Of God' moment in the 1986 FIFA World Cup quarter final match between Argentina and England?
4. Which former champion jockey went to prison for 3 years in 1987 for tax evasion?
5. Which Northern Irish football player, who died in 2005, said of his career: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds [women] and fast cars – the rest I just squandered".
6. Which American football player was sent to prison for 33 years in 2008 for murdering his ex-wife and her partner?
7. Which golfing champion was dropped from advertising Gillette products in 2010 because of his admission of a string of affairs?
8. Which horse racing pundit infamously picked his nose on live TV in 'Big Brother' in 2010?
9. Which 'Bladerunner' is in prison after being found guilty of killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day in 2013?
10. Finally in this round, who is this American former professional road racing cyclist? He was regarded as a sports icon for winning the 'Tour de France' seven consecutive times from 1999 to 2005. However, after a doping scandal he was stripped of all his titles.
ROUND 2. Golden Sporting Moments
11. With which British athlete was the phrase 'The Four Minute Mile' associated with? (He broke it in 1954!)
12. Who captained the England team when it won the 1966 FIFA World Cup, defeating West Germany 4-2?
13. Which race horse is buried next to the finishing post at Aintree? (The only horse to win 'The Grand National' three times, in 1973, 1974 & 1977)
14. Which cricketer, who became a prodigious fundraiser, walking the first of twelve charitable walks from Lands End to John O Groats in 1985 (900 miles), was nicknamed Beefy?
15. Which English yachtswoman set a world record in 2005 for the fastest solo nonstop voyage around the world on her first attempt? (She was later awarded the DBE)
16. Which 'Little Britain' comedian swam the length of the Thames (140 miles) in 2011 to raise money for 'Sport Relief'?
17. Which Britain won the Wimbledon Championship in 2013 & 2016 (for the first time in 77 years)?
18. Who is the most successful Olympian ever, winning 22 medals (including 18 gold) over three games? (He was an American swimmer.)
19. Which member of the Royal Family won Olympic silver as a member of the British Equestrian Team at the 'London 2012 Summer Olympic Games'?
20. Wales last won the 'Six Nations Grand Slam' in 2019. Name the captain, pictured holding the trophy here?
Also name the other Six Nations, there home grounds and their emblems?
VIDEO BREAK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS-dCdYZbo
SONG BREAK. 'Magic Moments', Perry Como - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjiQYC5oEw
Which tin of sweets was this song used to advertise?
ROUND 3. Catchphrases & Advertisements
21. Which boxer's catchphrase was "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!"
What was his name before becoming a Muslim?
22. Which Welsh rugby commentator's catchphrase was "And it's an up and under!"?
23. Which footballer started his advertising career with the catchphrase "Don't you insist on Walker's Crisps?"?
(What are members' favourite crisp flavours?)
24. Which boxer's catchphrase was "Know what I mean 'Arry?"?
25. Which boxer advertised Brut with his catchphrase "Splash it all over!"?
(Does anyone still like the great smell of 'Brut'?)
26. Which snooker player had the nickname 'Interesting'?
27. Which TV chef's catchphrase was? "Let's be 'aving you!" & which team does she have an interest in?
28. Which American who became the oldest World Heavyweight Champion in 1973 went on to market a cooking fryer?
29. David Ginola went on to advertise what after his French football career?
30. What about this ex French football player? He went on to become a film actor and here is advertising Kronenburg beer.
ROUND 4. Trademarks
31. Which England manager brought the waistcoat back into fashion in the 2018 FIFA World Cup?
32. Which British ski jumper flapped his arms like a bird in the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics?
33. Which British athlete was famous for his 'lunch box'?
34. Which British athlete, originally from Mogadishu, is famous for his 'Mobot'?
35. Which American basketball star is famous for his 'Slam Dunk'?
36. Who is the fastest man on the planet, seen here celebrating with his 'Lightning' pose?
37. Which Welsh football player is famous for his 'Heart Symbol' which he makes every time he scores?
38. Name these two legendary rival Formula 1 racing drivers? One was famous for surviving a horrific near fatal crash in 1976. The other was called '**** The Shunt' because of his action packed exploits on track.
39. Which American 1974 Olympic Decathlete came out as a trans woman in 2015?
40. Which Welsh Rugby Union Fly Half was known for his quirky kicking routine?
VIDEO BREAK - Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2axS5AUUGPg
ROUND 5. British Gold
41. Which Dame specialised in the 800 metres and 1,500 metres events and won a gold medal for both distances at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens?
42. Which British diver specialises in the 10-metre platform event and is a double World champion in the event?
43. Which British athlete won gold in the Heptathlon in the 2012 London Olympics?
What are the seven events in the Heptathlon?
44. In the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000, which British rower became the first person to win gold in five consecutive Olympics?
45. Name this ice dancing couple, who won Olympic Gold in Sarajevo in 1984?
Here is their winning dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCSij0hUp8
46. Name this former track cyclist from Scotland who is eleven-times a World champion and six-times an Olympic champion?
47. Which Welsh Dame Of The British Empire, won 11 Gold Medals in the Paralympic Games from 1992-2004?
49. Which Paralympian featured on BBC 1's 'Who Do You Think You Are?' & 'Strictly Come Dancing'?
50. Which Lord was behind the '2012 London Summer Olympics' bid? He was a middle-distance runner won four Olympic medals, including the 1500 metres gold medal at the Olympic Games in 1980 and 1984.
51. FINAL QUESTION.
The 'London 2012 Olympics' saw the best British medals record since 1908. How many Gold medals were won do you think?
1. John McEnroe
2. Zola Budd & Mary Decker
3. Diego Maradonna
4. Lester Piggot
5. George Best
6. O.J. Simpson