"We should indeed keep calm in the face of difference, and live our lives in a state of inclusion and wonder at the diversity of humanity."
"This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another."
Ask members to comment on the contribution of gay men and women to society?
Have they any family members or friends who are a part of the LGBT community?
Take a moment to think about types of discrimination and homophobia LGBT people have faced in the past?
What can we as Allies do to help stop this and improve the lives of LGBT people in this country and overseas?
ROUND 1. FACTS ABOUT THE LGBT COMMUNITY
1. What to the initials LGBT stand for?
2. What is the LGBT flag called?
3. Up until which year was it illegal to be gay (in the UK)?
4. What was the name given to the 1969 riots in The Castro district of San Fransisco?
5. What was the number of the Section Margaret Thatcher's government introduced in 1988 to outlaw teaching about LGBT issues in schools (leading to damaging homophobic bullying and its consequences)?
6. What do LGBT people call it when they reveal their sexuality and gender identity to friends and family?
7. What year were ‘Same Sex Marriages’ made legal in (most parts) of the UK?
8. How many countries do you think have passed similar laws?
9. In how many countries is it still illegal to be gay?
10. In how many countries is the death penalty still used for committing the ‘crime’ of loving someone of the same sex?
This why Pride Month continues to be so important. We have fought long and hard for our own rights. Now we need to fight for others to enjoy the same rights and freedoms that we (mostly) enjoy.
Complete these well known phrases by way of a group shout out (some of these phrases are outdated and discriminatory, but are sadly still used in common parlance) …
As gay as a GOOSE
Over the RAINBOW
A friend of DOROTHY
On the Lavender BUS
To finish with some positives …
As proud a PEACOCK
With your head held HIGH
Don’t look BACK
Best foot FORWARD
Pride and JOY
Flying the FLAG
Out and PROUD
I could go on. The list gets more and more obnoxious as you read down it.
Discuss. How should we refer to LGBT family members and friends? (I prefer ‘Si’ from people who I like and respect ✊)
ROUND 2. My Top 10 LGBT Cultural Icons
11. Clue. Irish Playwright
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
12. Clue. He broke 'The Enigma Code'
“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
13. Clue. American Equal Rights Activist
“All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.”
14. Clue. UK LGBT & Human Rights Campaigner
15. Clue. English Actor & Gay Rights Champion
16. Czech-American Former Tennis Player & Coach
“I came to live in a country I love; some people label me a defector. I have loved men and women in my life; I've been labeled the bisexual defector. Want to know another secret? I'm even ambidextrous. I don't like labels. Just call me Martina.”
17. Broadcaster, Journalist & Author
“I have learned not to take too much notice of those who disapprove of my lifestyle choices, because I know that I was not designed to be part of the crowd."
18. Clue. English Actor, Author, Broadcaster & Comedian
“I am a lover of truth, a worshipper of freedom, a celebrant at the altar of language and purity and tolerance.”
19. Clue. Irish Broadcaster, Author & Chat Show Host
"I always say I'd rather be miserable by myself than unhappy in a relationship."
20. Clue. TV Presenter & Former Drag Artiste
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd slap it outta ya."
Liberace (He always denied his homosexuality)
Rock Hudson (Ditto)
Russell T Davies ('Queer As Folk')
? Can you think of any more (noting that musicians follow later)
ROUND 3. My Top 10 LGBT Themed Movies
21. 'Cabaret', 1972
Where was this film set? (The name of the bar and the city)
22. 'The Naked Civil Servant', 1975
Who was this movie about?
Who in 1988 had a hit single about him, called 'An Englishman In New York'?
23. 'Victor Victoria', 1982
Name the two actors pictured here who played King Marchant and Victor?
24. 'My Beautiful Laundrette', 1985
Name the actor on the left who went on to have an Oscar winning career?
25. 'Prick Up Your Ears', 1987
Which playwright was this movie about?
Complete the title of one of his works 'Entertaining Mr ......'?
26. 'Philadelphia', 1993
Identify the two actors in this movie poster?
27. 'Tales Of The City', 1993
Who is pictured here, starring as Anna Madrigal in Armistead Maupin's TV miniseries?
28. 'Brokeback Mountain', 2005
Name the two actors pictured here?
29. 'Philomena', 2013
What was the name of the journalist, played by Steve Coogan, who published Philomena's story?
30. 'A Very British Scandal', 2018
Which disgraced Liberal politician was this film about?
The Crying Game
Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe
The Danish Girl
Call Me By Your Name
? Can members think of any other LGBT hit movies?
ROUND 4. My Top 20 Songs For 'Pride Month'
(Ask members to choose just a few of these to play)
(Some are singalongs. Some are 'GET UP AND DANCE!')
31. SONG. 'You'd Don't Have To Say You Love Me', Dusty Springfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6STlXGdj-o
Complete these other song titles:
'I Only Want To .. .... ...'
'I Just Don't Know What To Do .... ......'
'Son Of A ........ ...'
32. SONG. 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine', Marvin Gaye - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzTr2P0AJo
What was his nickname? 'The Prince Of ....'
33. SONG. 'You Make Me Feel', Sylvester - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6cPE2BHic
His nickname was what? 'The Queen Of .....'
34. SONG. 'Mandy', Barry Manilow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XeSQVWleqY
True or False. He wrote this song about his pet dog 'Brandy'?
35. SONG. 'I Am What I Am', Gloria Gaynor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreTvtpTeoU
Which Welsh singer had a later album with this title?
36. SONG. 'Your Song', Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrznwpD-2tk
What was the name of the 2019 hit biopic movie about his life story called?
37. SONG. 'Somebody To Love', Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijpcUv-b8M
What was the 2018 hit movie about their story called?
38. SONG. 'Life On Mars', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKcl4-tcuo
How old was he when he died in 2018?
39. SONG. 'I'm Coming Out', Diana Ross - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mjl63e0ms
What was the name of her backing group?
40. SONG. 'Smalltown Boy', Bronski Beat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sARuFu-tc
Which member of this band is now a Church of England priest?
41. SONG. 'A Little Respect', Erasure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34icYC8zA0
The keyboard player previously teamed up with Alison Moyet to form which group?
42. SONG. 'West End Girls', Pet Shop Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs
Complete these song titles:
'Love Comes .......'
'It's A ...'
'What Have I Done To ....... ....'
43. SONG. 'Flying Without Wings', Westlife - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b78arD1EvDE
Which member of the band came out as gay in 2005?
44. SONG. 'No Matter What', Boyzone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eul_Vt6SZY
Which of the band members, who was gay, sadly died suddenly in 2009?
45. SONG. 'Faith', George Michael - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cs3Pvmmv0E
What was the name of his fellow band member in the 80s group 'Wham'?
46. SONG. 'Proud', Heather Small - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OygsHbM1UCw
What was the name of her group?
47. SONG. 'It's Raining Men', The Weather Girls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E
Think of some different kinds of weather?
48. SONG. 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head', Kylie Minogue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18441Eh_WE
Which TV soap did Kylie star in, alongside Jason Donovan?
49. SONG. 'Vogue', Madonna - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI
Who did she star as in the 1996 movie 'Evita'?