Who watches the 'Eurovision Song Contest'? Anyone keep score (nil points)?
What is the best or most memorable act you can think of?
What is the best (or your favourite) song to come out of Eurovision?
Thinking of the wider European community, what is your favourite European city or country?
Which European tourist destination (or somewhere off the beaten track) would you recommend a friend visit?
We asked members to complete the following phrases ... Dutch TREAT OR COURAGE French LETTER OR CONNECTION Welsh DRAGON OR RAREBIT OR LAMB British BULLDOG Luck of the IRISH Scotch MIST OR EGG English ROSE The rain in Spain stays MAINLY ON THE PLAIN
Spanish OMELETTE Swiss ARMY KNIFE OR ROLL Turkish BATHS OR DELIGHT Russian ROULETTE Norwegian WOOD Spanish FLY German SAUSAGE Mexican WAVE (I know it's not in Europe!) Delhi BELLY (ditto) E viva ESPANA Italian STALLION Holland - AISE SAUCE OR AND BARRETT It's all GREEK to me
Double DUTCH Chinese WHISPERS OR PROVERBS (and again!) When in ROME ... Do as the Romans do Talk for ENGLAND Indian SUMMER
EUROVISION MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. People
1. Name the TV presenter?
What was his first TV role?
2. Name the TV presenter?
How many years did he host the 'Eurovision Song Contest'?
3. Who used to announce the British vote?
4. Which Prime Minister took the UK into the European Economic Community on 22nd January 1972?
5. What is the name of the German Chancellor, in post since 2006?
6. What is the name of the French President, in post since 2017?
7. What is the name of this Irish politician, who served as Taoiseach from 2017-2020? (He was the first gay Taoiseach!)
8. Who is this former leader of UKIP?
9. What is the name of our current UK Prime Minister?
10. What is the name of his former Chief Advisor, who drove to Barnard Castle "to test his eyesight', during COVID-19 national lockdown?
11. SONG. 'Summer Holiday', Cliff Richard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxuapKdqIZw
How much did the 'Brexit Bus' tell us we would get back from the EU each week for the NHS?
Round 2. Places
Name the tourist destination and country?
18. Place? (Catholic shrine)
19. Place? (Highest point in Europe)
20. Place? ('HalfPenny Bridge')
21. Place? (Wall)
22. SONG. 'Morningtown Ride', The Seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RkC6MYT2E
What year did the Channel Tunnel open to its first 'Eurostar' journey?
23. SONG. Intermission. 'Riverdance' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v_pu6miJ8
Name the two lead dancers?
Round 3. TV & Film
24. Name the waiter from Barcelona?
And the TV show?
25. Name the TV show?
And the hairdresser?
26. Name the TV detective?
What country was he from?
27. Name the TV show?
Name the husband and wife?
28. Name the 1972 movie?
Where was it set? (The bar & city)
29. Name the James Bond actor?
Who sang the theme song?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLXDv6jXr4
30. Name the actor?
Say, in his voice (one by one), "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
31. Name the 2000 movie?
And the actor?
32. Name the 2008 movie?
Name the lead actress?
33. Name the 1965 movie?
In which country is the film set?
34. 'Ferry Cross The Mersey', Gerry & The Pacemakers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08083BNaYcA
How many miles is the English Channel at its narrowest point?
Round 4. My Top 10 Eurovision Songs
35. 'Love Shine A Light', Katrina And The Waves' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoikRec67k
(The last time the UK won 'Eurovision' was in 1997, with this song!)
What was the name of their other UK Top 10 hit?
36. 'Congratulations', Cliff Richard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJcE9tnY6E
(Cliff Richard came second in 1968 with this song, losing by one point to Spain!)
How old is he?
37. 'All Kinds Of Everything', Dana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmnd3uiK_Y
What were the two flowers in the opening line of the song?
38. 'Puppet On A String', Sandy Shaw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xnzPnyyWbY
Name either of her other two UK number 1 hits?
39. 'Boom Bang A Bang', Lulu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew43u2gS0Y
What was her first top ten UK hit single in 1964?
40. 'Making Your Mind Up', Bucks Fizz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iua3QxRoj1I
Which two drinks do you put together to make a 'Bucks Fizz'?
41. 'Save Your Kisses For Me', Brotherhood Of Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhq_Q1Ut8SQ&t=5s
Name either of their other two number 1 UK hits?
42. 'Knock Knock, Who's There?', Mary Hopkin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb0dBVWozRo
What was her only number one UK hit in 1968?
43. 'Rise Like A Phoenix', Conchita Wurst - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToqNa0rqUtY
True or False. This song featured as a James Bond theme song?
44. 'Waterloo', ABBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_9CiNkkn4
They had 8 other UK hits. See if you can name any of them?
To finish, what do people think of this years UK entry, sung by James Newman?
Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuoBneIHs8
"NAME THAT TUNE"
Just for fun, you could play the first few bars of each of these songs, stopping before they name the place (some have very short intros), and ask members to name the tune and artist/group.
'Vienna', Ultravox - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I
'Barcelona', Freddy Mercury & Montserrat Cabelle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1fiOJDXA-E
'Lost In France', Bonnie Tyler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK-SVR86ThY
'Y Viva Espana', Sylvia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aPp-4z-uw