This week our theme for Cognitive Stimulation Therapy was 'Space: The Final Frontier', because it was 'International Day Of Human Space Flight' on 12th April. It also happened to be the 60th anniversary of the first manned flight into space (more later).
Ask members what their favourite sci fi movie or book is? Do they enjoy this genre of 'fiction'?
Has anyone seen a U.F.O.? Would they like to? Do they believe in alien civilisations?
Have members any memories of where they were when the 'Apollo 11 Mission' made it to the moon?
Anyone fancy taking a flight into space?
'The Day The Earth Stood Still' (1951)
IDIOMS Ask members to complete the following phrases...
Space, the final - FRONTIER May the force (May 4th) be with - YOU Once in a blue - MOON Living on another - PLANET Come back down to - EARTH Everything under the - SUN Lost in - SPACE Aim for the - STARS Over the - MOON
Moon - RIVER
Total - ECLIPSE
Haley's - COMET
Shooting - STAR
Unidentified Flying - OBJECT Houston we have a - PROBLEM Live long and - PROSPER (Can anyone do the Spock - Vulcan hand signal?) Thunderbirds are - GO We have lift - OFF
Twinkle twinkle - LITTLE STAR (full poem below) Hey Diddle - DIDDLE (full poem below) 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' Jane Taylor, 1806 Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, Like a diamond in the sky. When the blazing sun is gone, When he nothing shines upon, Then you show your little light, Twinkle, twinkle, all the night. Then the traveller in the dark, Thanks you for your tiny spark, He could not see which way to go, If you did not twinkle so. In the dark blue sky you keep, And often through my curtains peep, For you never shut your eye, ‘Till the sun is in the sky. As your bright and tiny spark, Lights the traveller in the dark,– Though I know not what you are, Twinkle, twinkle, little star. 'Hey, diddle, diddle' By Mother Goose The Dorling Kindersley Book of Nursery Rhymes (2000) Hey, diddle, diddle, The cat and the fiddle, The cow jumped over the moon; The little dog laughed To see such sport, And the dish ran away with the spoon.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Space
1. What does 'N.A.S.A.' stand for?
2. Name the 9 planets of the solar system?
3. Who composed 'The Planets Suite' between 1914-16?
4. What was the name of the first artificial earth satellite, launched into space in 1957?
5. Who was the first person to be launched into space in 1961 (12th April - 60th anniversary)?
6. Name the crew of 'Apollo 11'?
What were the first words spoken on the surface of the moon on 20th July 1969?
7. Name any of the 'US Space Shuttle' craft (there were 6)?
Or, Where were they launched from?
8. Nearest guess. How fast does the 'International Space Station' orbit the earth?
9. Name the first British astronaut to visit the 'ISS' in 2015?
10. SONG. 'Aquarius', The Fifth Dimension - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK7ZF6jfJE
Name the '12 Signs Of The Zodiac'?
ROUND 2. Movies
11. In the H.G. Wells book, and the 1960 movie, what were the names of the futuristic species at odds with each other?
12. Name these two actors who played lead roles in the 1968 movie 'Planet Of The Apes'?
13. What was the name of the computer in the 1968 movie '2001 A Space Odyssey'?
14. Where was the dinosaur DNA retrieved from in the 1993 movie 'Jurassic Park'?
15. Which actor played the first 'host' of the alien in the 1979 movie of the same name?
16. Which car was driven 'Back To The Future' in the 1985 movie?
17. What was the name of the little boy who found E.T. in the 1982 movie and who played him?
18. Who played the UFO obsessed father in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind'?
19. Name these two characters from the 1977 movie 'Star Wars'? (A bonus point if you can mimic the one on the left's voice!)
20. SONG. 'The Eve Of The War', Jeff Wayne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5vCEjEC9s
Who played the part of the Narrator on the album?
ROUND 3. TV
21. Which product were these alien puppets advertising in the 1970s?
22. Who were the arch enemies of 'Captain Scarlet' and his crew?
23. What was the name of 'The Six Million Dollar Man' and who played him?
24. Name the captain and the space ship?
25. Name the 1970s TV series? (A bonus point if you can name the planet he came from?)
26. Name the island that 'Blue Peter' helped us make in 1993?
27. What number is the answer to the “The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything” posed in Douglas Adam's 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'?
28. Name the two agents in the 1990s TV series 'The X Files'?
29. Name as many of the 'Doctor Who' actors as you can (while the next song plays)?
30. SONG. 'Radio GaGa', Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE
Which space superhero did they sing about in another song in 1980?
ROUND 4. General Knowledge
31. What is the number given to the area at Nevada where the 'Roswell UFO Incident' (and alien autopsy) is said to have taken place in 1947?
32. What is the name of this computer game we all played in the 70s and 80s?
33. What is the name of this best selling 1973 'Pink Floyd' album we probably all have in our collection?
34. Name this astronomer?
35. Name this physicist?
36. Name this astrologist?
37. Name the monster?
38. When was the last total eclipse of the sun in the UK?
When is the next?
39. Name these two Disney characters?
40. Name as many sweets and chocolate bars named after things in space as you can?
41. Name this painting? Who painted it?
Here is a song written about him by Don McLean in 1971? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk
'Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft', The Carpenters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKeknINhkc
'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now', Starship - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxyN3z9PL4
'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper', Hot Gossip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeb35ma3JE
'Space Oddity', David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
'Rocket Man', Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVBCG6ThDk
PRACTICAL ACTIVITY Using black card and coloured chalk pens, draw a space picture - alien life force, the sun and moon, saturn and it's rings or whatever. Or make models of flying saucers or aliens with modelling clay.
Or make a space mobile, with everyone contributing an item of their choice to hang on it.
All for later display.
Give out space related sweets - flying saucers, space dust, Mars Bars, Galaxy chocolate & Milky Ways for refreshments.
1. NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
2. MERCURY, VENUS, EARTH, MARS, JUPITER, SATURN, URANUS, NEPTUNE, PLUTO
3. GUSTAV HOLST
5. URI GAGARIN
6. NEIL ARMSTRONG, BUZZ ALDRIN & MICHAEL COLLINS
"THE EAGLE HAS LANDED."
"IT'S ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND."
7. The first orbiter, 'ENTERPRISE', made its maiden flight in 1977, on the back of a 747. It was an unpowered glider. 'COLUMBIA' was the first space worthy orbiter and made its inaugural flight in 1981. 'CHALLENGER', 'DISCOVERY' and 'ATLANTIS' followed in 1983, 1984 and 1985 respectively. In 1986, 'CHALLENGER' was destroyed in an accident shortly after launch. 'ENDEAVOUR' was built as Challenger's replacement, and was first launched in 1992. In 2003, 'Columbia' was destroyed during re-entry, leaving just three remaining orbiters. 'Discovery' completed its final flight on March 9, 2011, and 'Endeavour' completed its final flight on June 1, 2011. 'Atlantis' completed the last ever Shuttle flight on July 21, 2011.
CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA
8. PERMANENTLY CREWED SINCE NOVEMBER 2000, THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION ORBITS THE EARTH AT BETWEEN 205-270 MILES ABOVE THE SURFACE. IT TRAVELS AT 17,100 MPH, WHICH IS 15.5 ORBITS IN A DAY OR 92 MINUTES FOR ONE ROTATION
9. TIM PEAKE
10. ARIES, TAURUS, GEMINI, CANCER, LEO, VIRGO, LIBRA, SCORPIO, SAGITTARIUS, CAPRICORN, AQUARIUS AND PISCES
11. MORLOCK & ELOI
12. RODDY MCDOWELL & CHARLTON HESTON
14. IN A MOSQUITO FOSSILISED IN AMBER
15. JOHN HURT (I bet it did!)
17. ELLIOTT / HENRY THOMAS
18. RICHARD DREYFUSS
19. CHEWBACCA & HANS SOLO
20. RICHARD BURTON
21. CADBURY'S SMASH
22. THE MYSTERONS
23. STEVE AUSTIN / LEE MAJORS
24. CAPTAIN JAMES T KIRK / USS STARSHIP ENTERPRISE
25. MORK AND MINDY / ORK
26. TRACY ISLAND
28. DANA SCULLY & FOX MULDER
29. WILLIAM HARTNELL, PATRICK TROUGHTON, JON PERTWEE, TOM BAKER, PETER DAVISON, COLIN BAKER, SYLVESTER MCCOY, PAUL MCGANN, CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON, DAVID TENNANT, MATT SMITH, PETER CAPALDI & JODIE WHITTAKER
30. FLASH GORDON
31. AREA 51
32. SPACE INVADERS
33. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
34. PATRICK MOORE
35. STEPHEN HAWKING
36. RUSSELL GRANT
37. SOUP DRAGON
38. 11TH AUGUST 1999 / 23RD SEPTEMBER 2090
39. PLUTO & GOFY
40. MARS BAR, MILKY WAY, GALAXY, STARBURST, FLYING SAUCERS, ORBIT GUM ETC
41. THE STARRY NIGHT / VINCENT VAN GOGH