This week our theme for Cognitive Stimulation Therapy was 'Space: The Final Frontier', because it was 'International Day Of Human Space Flight' on 12th April. It also happened to be the 60th anniversary of the first manned flight into space (more later).
Ask members what their favourite sci fi movie or book is? Do they enjoy this genre of 'fiction'?
Has anyone seen a U.F.O.? Would they like to? Do they believe in alien civilisations?
Have members any memories of where they were when the 'Apollo 11 Mission' made it to the moon?
Anyone fancy taking a flight into space?
'The Day The Earth Stood Still' (1951)
IDIOMS Ask members to complete the following phrases...
Space, the final - FRONTIER May the force (May 4th) be with - YOU Once in a blue - MOON Living on another - PLANET Come back down to - EARTH Everything under the - SUN Lost in - SPACE Aim for the - STARS Over the - MOON
Moon - RIVER
Total - ECLIPSE
Haley's - COMET
Shooting - STAR
Unidentified Flying - OBJECT Houston we have a - PROBLEM Live long and - PROSPER (Can anyone do the Spock - Vulcan hand signal?) Thunderbirds are - GO We have lift - OFF
Twinkle twinkle - LITTLE STAR (full poem below) Hey Diddle - DIDDLE (full poem below) 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' Jane Taylor, 1806 Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, Like a diamond in the sky. When the blazing sun is gone, When he nothing shines upon, Then you show your little light, Twinkle, twinkle, all the night. Then the traveller in the dark, Thanks you for your tiny spark, He could not see which way to go, If you did not twinkle so. In the dark blue sky you keep, And often through my curtains peep, For you never shut your eye, ‘Till the sun is in the sky. As your bright and tiny spark, Lights the traveller in the dark,– Though I know not what you are, Twinkle, twinkle, little star. 'Hey, diddle, diddle' By Mother Goose The Dorling Kindersley Book of Nursery Rhymes (2000) Hey, diddle, diddle, The cat and the fiddle, The cow jumped over the moon; The little dog laughed To see such sport, And the dish ran away with the spoon.
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
ROUND 1. Space
1. What does 'N.A.S.A.' stand for?
2. Name the 9 planets of the solar system?
3. Who composed 'The Planets Suite' between 1914-16?
4. What was the name of the first artificial earth satellite, launched into space in 1957?
5. Who was the first person to be launched into space in 1961 (12th April - 60th anniversary)?
6. Name the crew of 'Apollo 11'?
What were the first words spoken on the surface of the moon on 20th July 1969?
7. Name any of the 'US Space Shuttle' craft (there were 6)?
Or, Where were they launched from?
8. Nearest guess. How fast does the 'International Space Station' orbit the earth?
9. Name the first British astronaut to visit the 'ISS' in 2015?
10. SONG. 'Aquarius', The Fifth Dimension - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK7ZF6jfJE
Name the '12 Signs Of The Zodiac'?
ROUND 2. Movies
11. In the H.G. Wells book, and the 1960 movie, what were the names of the futuristic species at odds with each other?
12. Name these two actors who played lead roles in the 1968 movie 'Planet Of The Apes'?
13. What was the name of the computer in the 1968 movie '2001 A Space Odyssey'?
14. Where was the dinosaur DNA retrieved from in the 1993 movie 'Jurassic Park'?
15. Which actor played the first 'host' of the alien in the 1979 movie of the same name?
16. Which car was driven 'Back To The Future' in the 1985 movie?
17. What was the name of the little boy who found E.T. in the 1982 movie and who played him?
18. Who played the UFO obsessed father in the 1977 movie 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind'?
19. Name these two characters from the 1977 movie 'Star Wars'? (A bonus point if you can mimic the one on the left's voice!)
20. SONG. 'The Eve Of The War', Jeff Wayne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5vCEjEC9s
Who played the part of the Narrator on the album?