Welcome to this week's CST Blog 'Saint David's Day' Activities Page, celebrating all things Welsh.
To begin with, after Welcome and Introductions, hand each member a daffodil. Use it as a short Mindfulness practice. Ask members to examine the daffodil, it's shape, colour, texture, smell and so on. As they do so, read the following poem by Wordsworth. (Be aware of any risk that a member might taste or ingest their daffodil and observe more closely.)
"I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils."
– William Wordsworth (1815)
SOME WELSH PHRASES AND THEIR MEANINGS
Ask members to guess at the meanings of these common Welsh phrases and words.
Cymru am byth - WALES FOR EVER
Croeso I Gymru - WELCOME TO WALES
Bore da - GOOD MORNING
Diolch yn fawr - THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Chwarae teg - FAIR PLAY
Iechyd da - GOOD HEALTH
Eglwys - CHURCH
Traeth - BEACH
Ysgol - SCHOOL
Ysbyty - HOSPITAL
Cariad - LOVE AFFECTION
Dwr - WATER
Bara - BREAD
Drws - DOOR
Ty bach - TOILET
Ych a fi - DISGUSTING
Cwtch - CUDDLE
A favourite saying on St David's Day is 'Gwnewch y pethau bychain' - do the little things. These were apparently St David's last words.
NEWS ROUND UP
Giant inflatable daffodils have started to appear in and around Cardiff. What a beautiful way to remind people about their patron saint's day.
Wales rugby union team had a historic win against England on Saturday at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, continuing their unbeaten run of twelve matches. The final score was 21-13. Did anyone watch the exciting match?
What did members think of the singing?
Also this week, there were record breaking temperatures in the UK. The top temperature ever recorded in February was 21.3c in Kew Gardens, on Tuesday. Did anyone get a chance to enjoy the unseasonally warm weather, by spending time in the garden or going for a walk?
Just yesterday we heard the German-American pianist, conductor and composer Andre Previn had died, aged 89. He won four Academy Awards, including Best Music Score Awards for 'Gigi' in 1958 and 'Porgy And Bess' in 1959 and Best Score Award for 'My Fair Lady' in 1964. Does anyone remember his appearance on 'The Morecombe And Wise Christmas Show' in 1971? Here's a link to the classic comedy sketch.
IDIOMS AND PROVERBS
Next, ask members to complete the following Welsh themed phrases,
Land of - MY FATHERS / SONG
Severn - BRIDGE
The green green grass - OF HOME
Black sheep of - THE FAMILY
How green was - MY VALLEY
Bread of - HEAVEN
Six - NATIONS
Brecon - BEACONS
Prince of - WALES
Men of - HARLECH
Welsh - DRESSER
Love - SPOON
Welsh Border - COLLIE
Welsh - CORGI
Old King - COLE
Spitting - FEATHERS
HARP - on about something
And for fun ...
Whose coat is that - JACKET
I'll be there now in a - MINUTE
How's it going - BUTT
I'm not being funny - RIGHT
Where you - TO
I'm not gonna lie - TO YOU
That is absolutely - BUZZING, HUMMING, MINGING
She's under the - DOCTOR
Poor - DAB
Tidy - LIKE
Cheers - DRIVE
This is cowing - LUSH
Oggy Oggy Oggy - OI OI OI
What is the proper name of the Welsh flag?
BANER CYMRU OR Y DDRAIG GOCH
What is the population of Wales?
3,099M IN 2015
What is the capital city of Wales?
CARDIFF / CAERDYDD
What are the five emblems of Wales?
DAFFODIL, LEEK, PRINCE OF WALES FEATHERS, HARP, GRIFFIN
What is the smallest city in the UK?
ST DAVID'S IN WEST WALES
(It's population was 1,841 in the 2011 census)
What is the most southerly point in Wales?
The tallest mountain?
The longest river?
Has anyone seen the Severn Bore?
Newport has the second highest tidal range in the world, which causes a funnelling effect on a spring tide as the volume of water passes through the narrowing estuary near Gloucester.
What is the longest place name in Wales?Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Where can this village be found?
It means “St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool of St Tysilio of the red cave.”
What is the stretch of water between Bangor and Anglessey called?
THE MENAI STRAITS
Where would you find The Royal Mint?
In which Cardiff park would you find a statue dedicated to Billy The Seal who lived there?
In which two places in Cardiff would you find monuments dedicated to Scott of The Antarctic?
ROATH PARK LAKE LIGHTHOUSE & OUTSIDE THE NORWEGIAN CHURCH IN CARDIFF BAY
How many Welsh Corgis has the Queen had during her reign?
Regarding the Welsh national anthem. Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. What is the English translation?
OLD LAND OF MY FATHERS
Name some Welsh food and drink items.
PRINCES GATE MINERAL WATER
As you go through this list, ask if anyone has cooked or eaten these foods and share memories.
Where and when did the Prince of Wales Investiture take place?
1ST JULY 1969 IN CAERNARFON CASTLE
Who is Prince Charles married to?
Where would you find Dylan Thomas’s Boathouse?
LAUGHARNE (NEAR CAMARTHEN)
Can anyone name any of his most famous works?
'DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT', 'UNDER MILK WOOD' & 'A CHILD'S CHRISTMAS IN WALES'
What is the new name for the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff?
What are the words written on the outside of the Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay?
IN THESE STONES HORIZONS SING
CRUE GWIR FEL GWYDR O FFYWMAIS AWEN
What is the Severn Bridge now called?
THE PRINCE OF WALES BRIDGE
How much is the toll these days?
IT'S FREE, FROM 1ST JAN 2019
Where and in which named car did Sir Malcolm Campbell break the world land speed record in 1919? (146 MPH)
PENDINE SANDS - BLUEBIRD
Where was the TV comedy show 'Gavin And Stacey' filmed?
What was the name of one of the first holiday camps on Barry Island?
Did anyone stay in Butlins? Share memories of Miners Fortnight holidays.
Which TV comedy series was based in the fictional holiday camp 'Maplins'?
HI DI HI STARRING RUTH MADOC
What is the Welsh language soap on S4C?
POBL Y CWM
Does anyone watch it?
What is the name of the Italian styled village in Gwynedd, North Wales. Designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925-75?
Which TV mystery/sci fi series was filmed there?
PRISONER (NUMBER SIX)
What is the name of the island Tenby?
Where is the annual 'Wales Airshow' held in July each year?
Where do 'The Red Arrows' base themselves for the airshow?
CARDIFF WALES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Which long haul carrier recently came to CWL airport, offering a daily flight on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner to Doha?
If you caught a High Speed Train on Great Western Railways from Swansea to London, which station would you arrive at?
(Top speed for the HST is 125 MPH)
Where would you find one of Banky's newest works, estimated in value at over £100,000?
ON A GARAGE IN PORT TALBOT
Where does the biggest Elvis Presley Convention in Europe take place in September each year?
Where does an annual literature festival take place in mid Wales in May-June each year?
HAY ON WYE
What is the name given to the Welsh Assembly Government building in Cardiff Bay?
And finally, what are the countries that play in the 'Six Nations' rugby union tournament? And the emblems on their shirts?
WALES - THREE FEATHERS
SCOTLAND - THISTLE
IRELAND - SHAMROCK
ENGLAND - RED ROSE
FRANCE - COCKEREL
ITALY - FLAG
Guess at the Top Twenty Tourist Attractions in Wales.
Discuss places visited and get the group to nominate a favourite.
ST FAGAN'S FOLK MUSEUM
SNOWDON MOUNTAIN RAILWAY
VALE OF RHEIDOL RAILWAY/DEVIL'S BRIDGE
NEWPORT TRANSPORTER BRIDGE
NATIONAL BOTANIC GARDENS OF WALES LLANARTHNE
GLAMORGAN HERITAGE COASTLINE
PEMBROKESHIRE NATIONAL PARK
If there is time, click on the below picture to link to a 'Famous Welsh Faces' slide show and ask members to identify the people and what they are famous for.
Catherine Zeta Jones - married to Michael Douglas,
Alex Jones - presenter of The One Show,
Gareth Bale - top Welsh footballer under consideration for return from Real Madrid to Manchester United,
Gareth Edwards - former Welsh Rugby Union scrum half,
Nigel Owens - Welsh rugby referee,
Sam Warburton - Captain for the recent Lions Tour,
Neil Kinnock - former Labour Party Leader,
David Lloyd George - former Liberal Prime Minister,
Tom Jones - Welsh singer and judge on The Voice,
Nye Bevan - founder of the NHS,
Richard Burton - renowned Welsh stage and film actor,
Katherine Jenkins - Welsh classical singer,
Anthony Hopkins - Welsh actor (picture is taken from Silence of the Lambs),
Michael Sheen - another famous Welsh actor (both grew up in Port Talbot),
Colin Jackson - Olympian athlete (hurdler),
Dame Tanni Grey Thomson - former Paralympian and now disability rights champion,
Carwyn Jones - First Minister of Wales in The Sennyd,
Rhodri Morgan - founding First Minister,
Dame Shirley Bassey - Welsh Diva,
Alun Wyn Jones - Wales rugby captain,
Princes Harry and William (Duke of Cambridge) cheering their teams at the Rugby World Cup,
Derek Brockway - Weatherman Walking,
Max Boyce - comic musician,
Aled Jones - Classic FM and Songs of Praise,
Bryn Terfel - Welsh operatic bass-baritone,
Charlotte Church - former Voice of an Angel,
Rhod Gilbert - Welsh comedian and star of Work Experience,
Roald Dahl - renowned Welsh children author,
Huw Edwards - BBC news anchor,
Rob Bryden - Welsh comic and TV star of Gavin and Stacey,
Ryan Giggs - former Welsh football champion,
John Toshack - former Welsh football player and manager,
Ruth Jones - dramatist and actor (Gavin and Stacey and Stella)
The Welsh Music Quiz Playlist can be found here https://open.spotify.com/user/1154769589/playlist/3lNDD0oKgRVVXtj8x2IRHt
The questions we asked by way of prompting discussion and recall were as follows:
1. Green, Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones. What TV talent show is Tom Jones a judge on? THE VOICE
How old is he? 78 (7TH JUNE 1940)
2. Diamonds Are Forever - Shirley Bassey. Shirley Bassey is also known as 'The Girl from....'? - TIGER BAY
What other two James Bond films did Shirley Bassey sing the title song for?
GOLDFINGER (1964) & MOONRAKER (1979)
3. You Drive Me Crazy - Shakin' Stevens. What colour door was Shakey behind in his other hit single? - GREEN DOOR (1981)
Where was he born and raised? ELY, CARDIFF
4. Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkin. This song reached Number One in the UK in 1968. What other song did Mary Hopkins come second in The Eurovision Song Contest in 1970? - KNOCK, KNOCK WHO'S THERE
5. If I Ruled The World - Harry Secombe. Harry Secombe was a member of The Goons. Who were the other three? - PETER SELLERS, SPIKE MILLIGAN AND MICHAEL BENTINE
6. We'll Gather Lilacs - Katherine Jenkins. Who wrote this song - a national music award is named after him? - IVOR NOVELLO
(There is a statue dedicated to him in Cardiff Bay, outside the Millennium Centre)
7. We'll Keep A Welcome In The Hillside - Morriston Orpheus Male Voice Choir. Name some hills and mountains of Wales? - SNOWDON, CADER IDRIS, BRECON BEACONS, BLACK MOUNTAINS & THE GARTH
8. Pie Jesu - Charlotte Church. Which show did this 'Voice Of An Angel' first come to fame on? - JONATHAN ROSS
9. Calon Lan - Only Boys Aloud. What is the English translation of Calon Lan? - A PURE HEART (Finalist in 'Britain's Got Talent' 2012)
10. Road Rage - Catatonia. Who is the lead singer of Catatonia singing the lead vocal? - CERYS MATHEWS
What is the name of the road which travels all the way up through Wales?
11. Cardiff Born - Frank Hennessy. What is the popular name for Cardiff City Football Club? - THE BLUEBIRDS
12. Handbags and Gladrags - Stereophonics. What TV show was this the theme music for? - THE OFFICE
Where was this comedy series set? - SLOUGH
13. Run - Stephen Fretwell. What about this TV show set in Barry? - GAVIN AND STACEY
Who were Gavin and Stacey's best friends? SMITHY & NESSA
14. Ivor The Engine - TV Theme. Name the engine driver? - JONES THE STEAM
(The railway company was 'Merioneth And Llantisily Rail Traction')
15. Day Trip To Bangor - Fidller's Dram. Go around the room. Has anyone had a day trip anywhere in Wales lately, or is there anywhere they would like to visit?
Name some ciders? BULMERS, STRONGBOW, MAGNERS, RATTLER, SCRUMPY JACK
16. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler. When was the last total eclipse of the sun in the UK?
11 MINUTES PAST 11AM ON AUGUST 11th 1999
17. God Bless The Prince Of Wales - Morriston Orpheus Male Voice Choir. What date was the Investiture of The Prince of Wales and where did it take place? - JULY 1ST 1969, CAERNARVON CASTLE
Did anyone get given a mug in school or remember having the day off in celebration?
18. Ar Hyd Y Nos - Aled Jones. Whose voices can we hear singing? - THEY ARE BOTH ALED JONES, MAN AND BOY
On which radio station does Aled Jones present a show these days? CLASSIC FM
19. Hymns and Arias - Max Boyce. Live From Treorchy. In which valley would you find Treorchy? - THE RHONDDA
Which rugby commentator used to famously say 'And it's an Up And Under'? - EDDIE WAREING
20. Delilah - Tom Jones. Time for a sing along ...
21. World In Union - Various. Cardiff hosted several matches for The Rugby World Cup in 2015. What 'landed' on the Castle wall? - GIANT RUGBY FOOTBALL
(The next 'Rugby World Cup' is this autumn. Who is looking forward to it?)
22. Bread of Heaven/Cwm Rhondda - Bryn Terfel. What is the first line of this famous Welsh hymn (English translation)? GUIDE ME OH THOU GREAT JEHOVAH
23. (ALL STAND) Hen Wlad Fy'n Nhadau - The Dragons Choir. SINGALONG. Which Welsh Secretary famously forgot and mouthed the wrong words? JOHN REDWOOD
As we enjoyed a cup of tea with our Welsh cakes and bara brith, we looked at these humorous quizzes for fun ...
Funny 'How Welsh are you?' quiz. Great for generating discussion among the group.
Welsh place names picture quiz.