"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." Charles M Schulz
NEWS ROUND UP
George Bush senior died this week, aged 94. He was the 41st US President, in office from 1989-1993.
Quote “We are going to keep on trying to strengthen the American family. To make American families a lot more like the Walton's and a lot less like the Simpsons.”
There are now only 5 Living Presidents.
Jimmy Carter, 94 years old
Bill Clinton, 72 years old
George W Bush, 72 years old
Barack Obama, 57 years old
And Donald Trump, of course, who is 72 years old.
The painting from 'Allo Allo' - the 'Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies' by the fictional artist Van Clomp, sold at auction this week for £15,000.
'The Apprentice' series continued it's run on BBC2. Coincidentally this week, the contest involved making and marketing a new brand of chocolates. Another tie in, of course, is that the hit reality TV show is hosted by Lord Alan Sugar.
It's that time of year when people are putting their Christmas decorations up, sending cards, buying presents and opening Advent Calendars each day. These are normally filled with various chocolates, though you can get whisky, gin, cheese and even pork scratching Advent Calendars these days! So this week's themed activities centred around Cholocate.
We asked, who likes chocolate? Or dislikes it... and the reasons why?
Would anyone describe themselves as a 'Chocoholic'?
Does anyone have a favourite chocolate bar?
Does anyone remember getting a selection box for Christmas when they were younger?
Who prefers Milk, Dark or White chocolate?
Aside from Christmas, which other events normally include chocolates as gifts?
- When someone is ill.
Next, we asked members to complete these well known phrases... (clues are in brackets)
Sweet and - SOUR (Chinese food)
As useless as a chocolate - TEAPOT (not fit for purpose)
Death by - CHOCOLATE (name of a chocolate desert)
Sweet - TOOTH (likes sweet foods)
That's the way the cookie - CRUMBLES (tough luck)
A tough - COOKIE (a strong person)
A piece of - CAKE (easy)
As sweet as - HONEY (sickly sweet)
Icing on the - CAKE (to better something)
Have your cake and - EAT IT (best of both worlds)
The cherry on - THE TOP (finishing touch)
A rose by any other name would smell - AS SWEET (‘Romeo And Juliet’ quotation)
Short and - SWEET (brief)
Be sweet on - SOMEBODY (fancy a person)
Do something in your own sweet - WAY (take your time)
Forbidden fruit is the - SWEETEST (Adam & Eve reference)
Home sweet - HOME (comfort of familiarity)
Keep somebody - SWEET (play somebody)
Like a kid in a - SWEET SHOP (excited)
Revenge is - SWEET (get your own back)
Sweet - DREAMS (goodnight)
Sweet Fanny - ADAMS (sweet FA)
Whisper sweet - NOTHINGS (words of love)
The sweet smell of - SUCCESS (gloating)
Eye - CANDY (good looking)
Like taking candy from - A BABY (easy peasy)
Chocolate - BOX (tips jar for staff)
John Cadbury founded his business in 1824 in Birmingham. What religion was he? QUAKER
Chocolate contains the endorphin phenylethylamine, which is a feel good brain chemical. One survey found what percentage of women would prefer chocolate over making love? OVER 50%
Which chocolate bar sells the most in the UK? KITKAT (The middle layer of a KitKat is smashed up KitKats. Nothing goes to waste!)
What is the name of Cadbury's dark chocolate, sold in the UK? BOURNEVILLE
Which small oval chocolate treat appears in shops in January in readiness for Easter festivities? CADBURY'S CREME EGGS
How many calories are in a deep fried Mars Bar? 600 (Has anyone had one?)
Which traditional cream cake is covered in chocolate? ECLAIR OR PROFITEROLE (choux pastry)
What spread is used in a Chocolate Crepe? NUTELLA
What chocolate do you add to a cornet of vanilla ice cream to make a 99? FLAKE
The chocolate treat with a nut on top? WALNUT WHIP
The chocolate mixed bag with orange, coffee, raisin, peanut, toffee and biscuit centres? REVELS
What Christmas cake has a chocolate coating? CHOCOLATE LOG
Which American biscuit has chocolate rounds with a creme fondant in the middle? OREO
Which chocolate cake has black cherries in the middle? BLACKFOREST GATEAUX
The chocolate egg with a children’s toy in the middle? KINDER SURPRISE
Which actor is said to have invented the Magnum to replace choc ices? ROGER MOORE
In which sitcom did Patsy Stone call Edina Monsoon 'Sweetie darling'? - ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS (starring Joanna Lumley & Jennifer Saunders)
In which film did Tom Hanks say, "Mama always said that life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - FORREST GUMP
Which TV vicar LOVES chocolate (and Mel Gibson)? - VICAR OF DIBLEY (DAWN FRENCH)
Which 'Little Britain' character loved 'Choclit'? - MAJORIE DAWES - FATFIGHTERS (PLAYED BY MATT LUCAS)
Complete these advertising slogans... (and sing those which you can remember)
1. See the face you love light up with ...... ... .... - TERRYS ALL GOLD
2. The ..... .... are on me - MILKY BARS
3. A .... . ... helps you work rest and play - MARS A DAY
4. And all because the lady loves .... .... - MILK TRAY
5. ..... A hazelnut in every bite - TOPIC
6. .... ....... ...... Full of eastern promise - FRYS TURKISH DELIGHT
7. You’re not you when you’re hungry! ........ - SNICKERS (Snickers used to be called ........ - MARATHON)
8. A ...... .. ..... is just enough to give your kids a treat - FINGER OF FUDGE
9. After ..... - EIGHTS
10. It's not Terrys ......... ...... its mine. - CHOCOLATE ORANGE (Or ‘Tap it and unwrap it’)
11. Only the crumbliest milkiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before ........ ..... - CADBURYS FLAKE
12. Everyone's a ..... ... ... case. - FRUIT AND NUT
13. (Hey Mr Beaver) Take it easy with ........ ....... - CADBURYS CARAMEL
14. Get that Friday feeling with Cadburys ........ - CRUNCHIE (or ‘Thank Crunchie it’s Friday’)
15. It takes a glass and a half of milk to make ........ ..... .... taste so creamy. - CADBURYS DAIRY MILK
16. Have a break, have a ... ... - KIT KAT (Made by Nestle)
17. When you feel a little ppeckish ppppick up a ....... - PENGUIN
18. ..... grow on you. - ROSES
19. ......... melt in your mouth not in your hand. - M&MS (Used to be called ‘Treats’)
20. Do you love someone enough to give them your last ....? - ROLO
21. ...... the taste of paradise. - BOUNTY
22. The lighter way to enjoy chocolate. ......... - MALTESERS
23. ..... ... The sweet you can eat between meals without losing your appetite. - MILKY WAY
24. Who knows the secret of the ..... ..... ...? - BLACK MAGIC BOX
25. Nuts whole hazelnuts ........ take them and they cover them in chocolate. - CADBURYS WHOLENUT
26. If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our .... - CLUB (Flavours were biscuit, fruit biscuit, orange and mint)
27. Full moon, half moon, total eclipse ..... ..... - JAFFA CAKES
28. How do you like to eat them? ........ ..... ... - CADBURYS CREAM EGGS
29. .... ... It's a bit of a beast. - LION BAR
30. Only ....... have the answer. - SMARTIES
31. Bridge that gap with ........ ..... - CADBURY'S SNACK
32. Hot chocolate, drinking chocolate ........ ........ ......... - CADBURY'S DRINKING CHOCOLATE
33. It's so big you've gotta grin to get it in ..... ..... - WAGON WHEEL (Are they smaller, or are our hands?)
34. Not for girls ...... ... - YORKIE BAR
35. The Ambassador’s chocolate ....... ..... - FERRERO ROCHER
36. Outchews everything for 3p ..... ..... - CURLY WURLY
37. Somebody somewhere is having a ...... ..... - TOFFEE CRISP (rice crispies)
38. Feel the bubbles melt .... - AERO
39. What’s your favourite? ....... ...... - QUALITY STREET
40. Out on its own ......... - TOBLERONE (made from triangular chocolate)
Spotify Playlist link here
We Are The Ovaltineys - The Ovaltineys
Name some bedtime hot drinks?
OVALTINE, HORLICKS, COCOA, HOT MILK, CAMP COFFEE
Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
Name the lead singer?
What 1997 comedy film featured this song?
THE FULL MONTY (starring Robert Carlyle)
Pure Imagination - Gene Wilder
What 1971 children’s film featured this song?
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
What were the little people in this film called?
THE OOMPA LOOMPA
Sugar Sugar - The Archies
Name the different types of sugar?
BROWN, GRANULATED, DEMERARA, CUBES, ICING, CASTER, MOLASSES, HONEY
Lollipop - The Chordettes
Who carries a lollipop on the street?
LOLLIPOP MAN AT PEDESTRIAN CROSSING
Which TV detective sucked a lollipop?
Lollipop Guild - The Wizard Of Oz
What were the little people called in this 1939 film?
What road did they follow to find the Wizard?
THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD
On The Good Ship Lollipop - Shirley Temple
How old was she when she had a hit with this song (from the 1934 film ‘Bright Eyes’)?
Name the child actor from the 1990 Christmas film ‘Home Alone’?
Sweets For My Sweet - The Searchers
Name some old fashioned sweets?
GOBSTOPPERS, BLACK JACKS, FRUIT SALADS, PINEAPPLE CHUNKS, COLA CUBES, MOJOS, SHERBET LEMONS, DIB DABS, SHERBET FOUNTAIN, BONBONS, LIQOURICE ALLSORTS
Who likes liquorice?
Candy Man - Sammy Davies Jnr
This song was used on a Friday in the Chris Evans BBC Radio 2 ‘Breakfast Show’.
He has just been tempted back to Virgin with an annual salary of how much?
£2m (currently £1.6m)
Thank You Very Much - The Scaffold
This song advertised which tin of sweets?
What colour wrapping has the Brazil Nut chocolate?
Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This - Eurythmics
Name the two musicians in the Eurythmics?
ANNIE LENNOX & DAVE STEWART
I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson
What was Jackie Wilson’s nickname?
What type of music did he produce?
Black Magic Woman - Santana
What nationality is Carlos Santana?
The capital of Mexico, Mexico City, was once the capital of which ancient empire?
Yummy Yummy Yummy - Ohio Express
Is anyone able to rub their tummy and pat their head at the same time?
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
True or false. Mick Jagger’s newest son is younger than his great grandson?
TRUE. On 8th December 2016 Mick Jagger, then aged 73, welcomed his son Deveraux. His great granddaughter was born in 2014
Sugar And Spice - The Searchers
What are little girls and little boys made of?
SUGAR AND SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE
SLUGS AND SNAILS AND PUPPY DOG TAILS
Nutcracker Suite - Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky
What style of dance does this song represent?
Who is the ballet dancer on the judging panel of ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ currently?
DAME DARCEY BUSSELL
Gonna Make You A Star - David Essex
Which TV reality series awards celebrities gold stars for eating jungle critters, as well as other tasks?
I’M A CELEBRITY GET ME OUT OF HERE
Is anyone watching either of these two shows?
A couple more Hot Chocolate songs, for if you have time and to try and get people up dancing...
Everyone's A Winner
So You Win Again
It Started With A Kiss
We purchased some figures to decorate and made a string of ‘Happy Smiley People Holding Hands’. See the images above.
Then we had our chocolate tasting round. We cut up several bars of chocolate and passed tasters around for people to identify. (We had some diabetic chocolate on stand by, so no one missed out.)