The main theme for this week's Cognitive Stimulation Therapy activities session was 'Birds'. The reason we were discussing our feathered friends was because 8th May was 'World Migratory Bird Day 2021'.
- We asked, who likes or dislikes birds and the reasons why? - Does anyone bird watch? - Does anyone feed birds, using a bird table or feeder?
- Does anyone have a bird bath in their garden? - Does anyone have birds nesting in their garden? - Has anyone visited a bird sanctuary, like 'Slimbridge'? - Has anyone seen a rare bird, and if so where? - Does anyone have a favourite bird, and if so why? - Can anyone make the sound of a bird, e.g. an owl using their cupped hands?
IDIOMS We moved on to ask members to complete the following idioms about birds together by way of a 'shout out', giving clues where necessary (as provided in brackets). - As dead as a DODO (extinct) - A bird in the hand is worth two in the BUSH (be content with what you have) - As proud as a PEACOCK (a vain or self centred person) - The early bird catches the WORM (gain advantage by taking early action) - SWAN song (farewell performance) - Night OWL (late to bed) - Wild goose CHASE (foolish and hopeless search) - What's good for the goose is good for the GANDER (what a man can have, so can a woman) - Kill the goose that lays the GOLDEN EGG (unprofitable action motivated by greed) - Goose BUMPS (fearful response) - Ugly DUCKLING (a person who turns out to be beautiful or talented against all the expectations) - Like water off a duck's BACK (unheeded warning) - Like a duck to WATER (a natural ability to do something when you try it for the first time) - Lovely weather for DUCKS (wet weather) - Don't count your chickens before they HATCH (don't necessarily expect a good outcome)
- Don't put all your eggs in one BASKET (keep your options open) - Chicken OUT (decide not to do something out of fear) - Chicken and egg SITUATION (impossible to say which existed first) - Keep somebody under your WING (take care of an inexperienced or junior person) - Spread your WINGS (expand your horizons and take opportunities) - Pecking ORDER (place within a hierarchy) - Lame DUCK (ineffectual person) - Kill two birds with one STONE (achieve two aims at once) - Fly the COOP (make your escape) - Empty NEST syndrome (children have left the house) - Eagle EYE (very observant) - Bird's eye VIEW (looking down on something) - Birds and the BEES (procreation) - As free as a BIRD (no worries or troubles) - Cockney SPARROW (born in the East End of London) - Stone the CROWS (an exclamation of surprise) - Parrot FASHION (without thought or meaning) - Birds of a feather FLOCK TOGETHER (people with the same tastes and interests tend to group together) - Mother HEN (a person who sees to the needs of others, usually in a fussy or interfering way) - HEN pecked (a man who is browbeaten or under the thumb of his female partner) - As wise as an OWL (a silent, solitary bird which hunts at night-time was associated with lunar gods, which were in turn associated with wisdom and intelligence) - Feathered FRIENDS (birds)
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. General Knowledge
1. Who is the Patron Saint of birds?
2. What is a bird watcher is called?
3. A collection of live birds is kept in what?
4. What is the smallest bird in the UK?
5. Which mythical bird rose again from the ashes?
6. Name the only dinosaur that flew?
7. Sir Malcolm Campbell broke the world land speed record in 25th September 1924 in a car named what?
8. What was the name of Howard Hughes' seaplane, which had its inaugural flight on 2nd November 1947?
9. What were the first words spoken by Neil Armstrong when coming to rest on the moon on 20th July 1969?
10. In golf, what is one under par called?
SONG. 'Albatross', Fleetwood Mac - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXeKi6ZkbOw&t=8s
11. Which record does the Albatross have amongst birds?
Round 2. Identify The Bird
How good a twitcher are you?
Identify the birds from the pictures and clues provided.
12. This bird advertised 'Guinness'?
13. This bird protects the 'Tower of London'?
14. HM Queen Elizabeth owns of of these birds across the UK?
15. This bird stands on one leg?
16. A chocolate biscuit was named after this bird?
17. This bird is said to bury it's head in the sand?
18. This bird is said to be old and wise?
19. This bird was taken into mines by miners to test air quality?
20. This bird is the national emblem of the USA?
21. What is the only bird that can fly backwards?
22. SONG. 'The Ugly Duckling', Danny Kaye - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ok6Y77DeNA
Identify the bird?
Round 3. TV & Film
23. Name the 1970s TV comedy drama series that starred Paula Wilcox, Richard O'Sullivan and Sally Thompson?
24. Name the 1970s TV comedy series starring Polly James and Nerys Hughes?
25. Name the 1980s TV series starring Pauline Quirk, Lesley Joseph and Linda Robson?
26. Name the four neighbours in 'The Good Life'?
27. Name this 1963 Alfred Hitchcock movie starring Tippi Hedren?
28. Name this 1969 Ken Loach movie, about a boy raising a bird of prey?
29. Name this 1975 film starring Jack Nicholson, about events in a mental health hospital?
30. Name Hans Solo's and Chewbacca's spaceship in the 1977 sci fi movie 'Star Wars'?
31. Name this 1991 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter and Jodie Foster at Agent Clarice Starling?
32. Name this 1968 war film set in the Bavarian Alps, starring Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton?
SONG. 'Feed The Birds', Mary Poppins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4
33. (Ask after the song.) How much was a bag of birdseed in this song?
VIDEO BREAK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6zrkQwJMw
34. Which birds makes 'Murmurations'?
Round 4. For The Birds
35. In the nursery rhyme, who killed this bird?
36. Complete the saying ...
"One for -
Two for -
Three for a -
And four for a -
Five for -
Six for -
Seven for a -
Eight's a -
Nine's a -
Ten is a - "
Here's the TV theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNoSi1vbE0
37. Which pirate had one of these on his shoulder, called Captain Flint, who would say "Pieces of eight'? (In the 1883 book 'Treasure Island' by Robert Louis Stevenson?)
38. There are two publishing houses in the UK named after birds. What are they?
39. Which country's number one beer is named after this bird?
40. Which of the 'Seven Deadly Sins' is this bird (sort of) associated with? What are the other sins?
41. This bird is associated with which part of London? Which bells do you have to be born within earshot of to call yourself one?
Recite the rhyme together for a bonus point...
Oranges and lemons, Say the bells of St. Clement's.
ou owe me five farthings, Say the bells of St. Martin's.
When will you pay me? Say the bells of Old Bailey.
When I grow rich, Say the bells of Shoreditch.
When will that be? Say the bells of Stepney.
I do not know, Says the great bell of Bow.
Here comes a candle to light you to bed, And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
42. Which Bible story has this bird flying over flooded lands to see if the waters are receding?
43. How did these birds help in the both World Wars?
44. In the nursery rhyme, how many Blackbirds were 'baked in a pie'?
45. SONG. 'I Taut I Taw A Puddy Cat', Mel Blanc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aDWDUjlOY
What was the cat's name?
46. SONG. 'The Wind Beneath My Wings', Bette Midler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAzMRKFX3c
What was the name of the 1988 movie that this song featured in?
47. SONG. 'Morning Has Broken', Cat Stevens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TInLOJuUM
(Ask after the song.) Which bird is mentioned in the first verse of this song?
VIDEO BREAK - 'Dead Parrot Sketch', Monty Python's Flying Circus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZw35VUBdzo
48. SONG. 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep', Middle Of The Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGyPrmbgan0 Which social media platform is associated with a blue bird?
49. Finally, another song by The Monkees, namely 'Daydream Believer' to sing along with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7e5U9If2Q
"Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings ..."
Name 'The Monkees'?
OTHER HALF DECENT BIRD RELATED SONGS
'Mr Tambourine Man', The Byrds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swqw5a8I4b4
'Silly Love Songs', Wings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87QgZKTNw