Here is the final CST activities page for 'Christmas Time'. It's a 36 or 50 item music and picture quiz, with some singalongs and readings added in, in case you wanted to run the session as a cognitive stimulation therapy group, rather than complete it with your family.
36 SONGS & QUESTIONS
(Plus a bonus round of 14 songs and questions if you have time or want to split the session.)
(Play as many songs as you have time for, or as members choose them to listen to.)
5 SINGALONGS - One For Each Round (Included in the 36 questions)
5 READINGS - One For Each Round (This will make it feel more like a 'Carol Concert', but noting many secular songs and pop records are included.)
(I've tried to include as many lyric videos as possible throughout, so that people can singalong.)
Hope you enjoy it? Please share it around if you do.
Don't forget to 'Free Subscribe' at www.simondementia.co.uk for more content.
Follow me on Twitter for updates @simon_dementia
Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Advent
1. 'Driving Home For Christmas', Chris Rea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjq7x67kzM
What are the four weeks before Christmas known as?
Chris Rea had another hit single about driving. What was it?
2. '2000 Miles', The Pretenders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyGZlBdkaA
In the video for this Christmas song, lead singer Christie Hynde is dressed in a Salvation Army uniform. Who was the founder?
What is their motto?
3. ''It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas', Michael Buble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUiHsJrRNGE
Which high-end department store used this song in their Christmas advert several years running?
What is his nickname?
4. 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree', Brenda Lee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYz7rfgLWE
Which country gives Trafalgar Square its Christmas tree each year, as a 'Thank you!' for Britain's support during the Second World War in preserving its liberty?
What type of tree is it?
5. 'The Christmas Song', Nat King Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpE_Q_p2G7w
‘Folks dressed up like Eskimos...’ What is the correct name for the indigenous Eskimo people?
Where would you find them?
6. SINGALONG. 'Twelve Days Of Christmas', The Spinners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0ehZan4lk
How many birds are there in the final verse?
READING. 'A Child's Christmas In Wales'. By Dylan Thomas - https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-child-s-christmas-in-wales/
(A short extract was read.)
Round 2. Christmas Past
7. 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', The Chieftains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc06r7h9QAc
In Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol', which four ghosts visited Scrooge?
8. 'Pipes Of Peace', Paul McCartney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4DkelBDBJ4
On Christmas Day in 1914, peace broke out in 'no mans land'. What carol did both sides sing?
9. 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing', Kings College - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLz4LbhS4_M
In the Frank Cappra film, 'Its A Wonderful Life', complete the line "Teacher says every time a bell rings an ..... .... ... ....."?
What was the name of the angel?
10. 'Stop The Cavalry', Jona Lewie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkJHApgKqw
What year was this Christmas number 3 (beaten by two re-issued John Lennon songs)?
According to his other hit single, where would you find Jona Lewie at a party?
11. 'Walking In The Air', Aled Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KzKa6erJRo
Which author wrote the book 'The Snowman'?
How old is Aled Jones now?
12. SINGALONG. 'Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer', The Crystals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDVp18upTcs
What were the names of the other reindeer, in the poem ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas’?
READING: 'A Visit from St. Nicholas'. By Clement Clarke Moore - https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43171/a-visit-from-st-nicholas
Round 3. The Nativity
13. 'The Power Of Love', Frankie Goes To Hollywood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyoTvgPn0rU
The video for this song was based on The Nativity, or birth of Jesus Christ. What gifts did the Three Wise Men bring to Bethlehem?
14. 'When A Child Is Born', Johnny Mathis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-NmJ80jEU
What date is the feast of 'The Epiphany' (early Christians celebrated this as Jesus’s birthday)?
15. 'Mary’s Boy Child', Boney M - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHTCldo7uw4
What name is given to the event, nine months before the birth of Jesus, in which an angel tells Mary, "Fear not, thou hast found favour with God”?
16. 'The Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth', David Bowie & Bing Crosby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmzJgSLHg4
Which Saint's day is 'Boxing Day'?
17. 'While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks', Kings College Choir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvegJ3wRLFE
What is a model of the stable and manger, that many of us display at Christmas, called?
What 'light shining in the darkness' are the shepherds pointing at?
18. SINGALONG. 'Away In A Manger', Vera Lynn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptEVh_Cx84
Nearest guesses. When was the first Christmas Card sent?
How many are sent in the UK?
READING. 'The First Christmas', Marian Swinger
Round 4. Christmas Hits
19. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', Mariah Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9eo-Dgf1EA
This song featured in the film 'Love Actually'. Who played the newly elected Prime Minister in that film?
20. 'Mistletoe And Wine', Cliff Richard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCEBibnRM8
True or False. Mistletoe is a poisonous parasite, growing on host trees and robbing them of water and nutrients?
21. 'Mull Of Kintyre', Wings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipC8jvgLtw
How many weeks did this song stay at number one in the UK charts in 1977?
22. 'Do They Know It’s Christmas', Band Aid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7bn_gm9o0
Who originally reported on the famine in Ethiopia, which led to this fundraising single?
23. 'Fairytale Of New York', The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcjgIohcs3w
‘The boys of the NYPD Choir...’ What does NYPD stand for?
24. SINGALONG. 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas', Traditional - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OF7KGyDis
What year did Queen Elizabeth II deliver her first 'televised Christmas message to the nation'?
READING. 'Living Christmas Each Day' Author Unknown
Round 5. Top 10 Best Christmas Songs Ever
25. 'Wonderful Christmas', Paul McCartney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ye-3C1FC8
Name as many Christmas drinks as you can?
26. 'Merry Christmas Everyone', Shakin’ Stevens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-PyWfVkjZc
In his other hit, what colour door is there an old piano playing behind?
27. 'Merry Xmas Everybody', Slade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI
Traditionally, what are usual Christmas stocking fillers?
28. 'I Believe In Father Christmas', Greg Lake - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfY4b1NszpY
What are the three other names commonly used for 'Father Christmas'?
29. 'Somewhere In My Memory', John Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlA0b96LpI
Who was left at home in the film 'Home Alone'?
30. 'December Will Be Magic Again', Kate Bush - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfD7FzcjVyQ
Was was her only number 1 UK hit, about a wild and windy moor?
31. 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day', Wizzard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPc7esgvsA
Who founded Wizzard and was their lead singer (he also co-founded E.L.O.)?
32. 'Last Christmas', Wham - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI
What are 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' in Welsh?
33. 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)', John Lennon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flA5ndOyZbI
John Lennon’s wife co-wrote this song. What was her name?
34. SINGALONG. 'White Christmas', Bing Crosby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZC45Q82pg
Who wrote the songs for the 1954 film 'White Christmas', including this one?
True or False. This is the best selling Christmas single of all time?
35. SINGALONG. 'Silent Night', Ella Fitzgerald - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQdb3JFgYk
In what decade did N.O.R.A.D. (North American Aerospace Defence Command) start tracking Santa on Christmas Eve?
READING. 'A New Year's Poem On Life', Author Unknown
36. FINAL SINGALONG. 'Auld Langs Syne', Andy Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnpGUocGMnk
What is the meaning of 'Auld Langs Syne'?
(NB If you are adding in the next bonus round, save this song and question, and the above reading, for the very end.)
EXTRA SONGS - BONUS QUESTIONS
37. 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas', Judy Garland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreWsnhQwzY
Which 1944 movie did this song feature in?
38. 'Little Donkey', The Beverley Sisters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjTI12iE4cI
What do you call a male and a female donkey?
39. 'Blue Christmas', Elvis Presley - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KK6sMo8NBY
What other hit did Elvis have with the word 'Blue' in its title?
40. 'Santa Baby', Eartha Kitt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCFi4l3nkY
Eartha Kitt starred in the TV series Batman in the late 1960s in which role?
41. 'Step Into Christmas', Elton John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjXNNp-5aWw
How many months have 28 days?
42. 'A Winter's Tale', David Essex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3c18V3ChIs
When is the Winter Solstice (the shortest day)?
43. 'A Spaceman Came Travelling', Chris de Burgh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZg7tvGN9o
What star sign would Jesus have been?
44. 'Stay Another Day', East 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNhdjoF-6M
'East 17' is a postcode in which city?
45. SINGALONG. 'Jingle Bells', Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLf0-lro8X8
What was the name of 'The Simpsons' dog, who was rescued on Christmas Day?
46. 'O Come All Ye Faithful', The Chieftains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSMr239C1c
List the ingredients of a Christmas (or Plum) Pudding?
47. 'Feliz Navidad', Jose Feliciano - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtc2pM1boE
In which language is 'Feliz Navidad' 'Happy Christmas'??
48. 'Frosty The Snowman', The Ronettes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGWvYmCO8E
Where is the 2022 'Winter Olympics' being held?
2 NEW BONUS CHRISTMAS SONGS
Included because they are just brilliant ....
49. 'Christmas Lights', Coldplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rYmzQ8C9Q
What was their first UK Top 10 hit, in 2000 (it was something to do with a colour!)?
50. 'December Song', George Michael - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xzyD00_fI
Name any of his six UK Number Ones?
1. Advent / 'Road To Hell'
2. William Booth / 'Blood And Fire'
3. John Lewis / 'Mickey Bubbles'
4. Norway / Spruce
5. Inuit / Greenland, Alaska and artic Canada
6. Twenty-Three - A Partridge, Two Turtle Doves, Three French Hens, Four Calling Birds, Six Geese A Laying & Seven Swans A Swimming
7. Jacob Marley & The Ghosts Of Christmas Past, Present & Yet To Come
8. Silent Night / Stille Nacht
9. "An angel gets his wings." / Clarence
10. 1980 / In The Kitchen
11. Raymond Briggs / 49
12. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Vixen, Blitzen & Donna
13. Gold, Frankincense & Myrhh
('The Magi Of Bethlehem' were Balthasar of Arabia, Melchior of Persia, and Gaspar of India.)
14. 6th January
15. The Annunciation
16. Saint Stephen (The first Christian martyr.)
(The Oxford English Dictionary gives the earliest attestations from Britain in the 1830s, defining it as "the first weekday after Christmas day, observed as a holiday on which postmen, errand boys, and servants of various kinds expect to receive a Christmas box".)
17. A Crib
'The Star Of Bethlehem' (Jupiter is also known as 'The Christmas Star', so that works too!)
18. The first recorded Christmas cards were sent by Michael Maier to James I of England and his son Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales in 1611
Around 900 million
19. Hugh Grant
21. 9 Weeks
22. Michael Buerk
23. New York City Police Department
25. Mulled Wine, Snowball/Eggnog, Hot Butter Rum, Champagne etc
27. Oranges, Chocolate Coins, Candy Sticks & Small Toys (‘Legs’ gets a bonus point!)
28. Santa Claus, Kris Kringle & Saint Nicholas (the patron saint of children, sailors, merchants, pharmacists, brewers and many others)
29. Kevin McAllister (Played by Macaulay Culkin - who is now age 40!)
30. Wuthering Heights
31. Roy Wood
32. Nadolig Llawen & Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
33. Yoko Ono
34. Irving Berlin / True
35. 1950s (specifically 1955)
36. The Literal Meaning Is 'Old Long Since', But 'Days Gone By' Also Covers It
37. 'Meet Me In St Louis'
38. Jack & Jenny
39. 'Blue Suede Shoes'
41. All of them!
42. 21st December
45. Santa's Little Helper
46. Dried Fruits Held Together By Egg And Suet, Moistened By Treacle Or Molasses And Flavoured With Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, And Other Spices. Served With Brandy, Alight. With Sixpence For Luck.
48. Beijing, China
50. 'Careless Whisper'
'A Different Corner'
'I Knew You Were Waiting'
'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'
'Jesus To A Child'
How did you get on?
Feedback and comments would be gratefully received!