Here is another CST activities page for 'Christmas Time'. You can run it as a group quiz and singalong session, or you could leave out the questions and use it for a 'Christmas Music & Carol Concert', followed by a party.
Some * LYRICS * videos are included for singalongs
NB. As there are so many songs, it might be wise to stick to one verse and chorus OR run it over two sessions?
Hope you enjoy it? Please share it around if you do.
Some feedback about how it worked in practice would be lovely.
Don't forget to 'Free Subscribe' at www.simondementia.co.uk for more content.
Follow me on Twitter for updates @donovan_si
You can also donate a ☕️ to support website running costs at https://ko-fi.com/simondementia
Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Advent
1. 'It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas', Michael Buble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUiHsJrRNGE * LYRICS *
Which high-end department store used this song in their Christmas advert several years running?
What is his nickname?
2. 'Driving Home For Christmas', Chris Rea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjq7x67kzM
What are the four weeks before Christmas known as?
Chris Rea had another hit single about driving. What was it?
3. '2000 Miles', The Pretenders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyGZlBdkaA
In the video for this Christmas song, lead singer Christie Hynde is dressed in a Salvation Army uniform. Who was the founder?
What is their motto? - OR - What instrument is she playing in the video?
4. 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree', Brenda Lee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYz7rfgLWE
Which country gives Trafalgar Square its Christmas tree each year, as a 'Thank you!' for Britain's support during the Second World War in preserving it's liberty?
What type of tree is it?
5. 'The Christmas Song', Nat King Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpE_Q_p2G7w * LYRICS *
"Folks dressed up like Eskimos..." What is the correct name for the indigenous Eskimo people?
Where would you find them? - OR - What is the name of the snow and ice house they build?
6. SINGALONG. 'Twelve Days Of Christmas', The Spinners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0ehZan4lk
How many birds are there in the final verse?
READING. 'A Child's Christmas In Wales', Dylan Thomas (Read by Michael Sheen) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVunVzveQd4
Round 2. Christmas Past
7. 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', The Chieftains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc06r7h9QAc
In Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol', which four ghosts visited Scrooge?
8. 'Pipes Of Peace', Paul McCartney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4DkelBDBJ4
On Christmas Day in 1914, peace broke out in 'No Man's Land'. What carol did both sides sing?
9. 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing', Movie Clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfBAm-TnPks
In the Frank Cappra film, 'Its A Wonderful Life', complete the line "Teacher says every time a bell rings an ..... .... ... ....."?
What was the name of the angel?
10. 'Stop The Cavalry', Jona Lewie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkJHApgKqw
What year was this Christmas number 3 (beaten by two re-issued John Lennon songs)?
According to his other hit single, where would you find Jona Lewie at a party?
11. 'Walking In The Air', Aled Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KzKa6erJRo
Which author wrote the book 'The Snowman'?
How old is Aled Jones now?
12. SINGALONG. 'Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer', The Crystals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDVp18upTcs
What were the names of the 9 reindeer, in the poem ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas’?
READING: 'A Visit from St. Nicholas'. Read by Clement Clarke Moore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hilcNtDjr8c
Here is the full poem, should you wish to print it off ...
Round 3. The Nativity
13. 'The Power Of Love', Frankie Goes To Hollywood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyoTvgPn0rU
The video for this song was based on The Nativity, or birth of Jesus Christ. What gifts did the 'Three Wise Men' bring to Bethlehem?
What were their names?
14. 'When A Child Is Born', Johnny Mathis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-NmJ80jEU * LYRICS *
What date is the feast of 'The Epiphany' (early Christians celebrated this as Jesus’s birthday)?
15. 'Mary’s Boy Child', Boney M - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmm1gt_2SkQ
What name is given to the event, nine months before the birth of Jesus, in which an angel tells Mary, "Fear not, thou hast found favour with God”?
16. 'The Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth', David Bowie & Bing Crosby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmzJgSLHg4 (Music starts at 1:40)
Which Saint's day is 'Boxing Day'?
17. 'While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks', Kings College Choir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvegJ3wRLFE * LYRICS *
What is a model of the stable and manger, that many of us display at Christmas, called?
What "light shining in the darkness" are the shepherds pointing at?
18. SINGALONG. 'Away In A Manger', Vera Lynn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptEVh_Cx84 *LYRICS*
How many Christmas cards are sent in the UK each year?
FACTOID. This reproduction of a Christmas card designed by John Callcott Horsley for Henry Cole in 1843 is recognised as one of the first commercially produced Christmas cards ever sent.
READING. 'The First Christmas', Marian Swinger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPqpE4qTR4
Round 4. Top 10 Christmas Number 1 Hits
19. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', Mariah Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9eo-Dgf1EA
* LYRICS *
This song featured in the film 'Love Actually'. Who played the newly elected Prime Minister and his girlfriend in that film?
20. 'Mistletoe And Wine', Cliff Richard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCEBibnRM8
True or False. Mistletoe is a poisonous parasite, growing on host trees and robbing them of water and nutrients?
21. 'Mull Of Kintyre', Wings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbuDWit1Co
How many weeks did this song stay at number one in the UK charts in 1977?
What is a 'Mull'?
22. 'Fairytale Of New York', The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8
‘The boys of the NYPD Choir...’ What does NYPD stand for?
23. 'Merry Xmas Everybody', Slade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI
Traditionally, what are usual Christmas stocking fillers?
Who was the lead singer?
24. 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day', Wizzard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPc7esgvsA
* LYRICS *
Who founded 'Wizzard' and was their lead singer (he also co-founded E.L.O.)?
25. 'Merry Christmas Everyone', Shakin’ Stevens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-PyWfVkjZc
In his other hit, what colour door is there an old piano playing behind?
26. 'Last Christmas', Wham - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI
What are 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' in Welsh?
OR - Can you say 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' in another language?
27. 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)', John Lennon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPXzKon9HKY
John Lennon’s wife co-wrote this song. What was her name?
What war was over?
28. 'Do They Know It’s Christmas', Band Aid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7bn_gm9o0
Who originally reported on the famine in Ethiopia, which led to this fundraising single?
Which two recording artists founded 'Band Aid'?
29. SINGALONG. 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas', Traditional - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OF7KGyDis * LYRICS *
What year did Queen Elizabeth II deliver her first 'televised Christmas message to the nation'?
What time is it on every Christmas Day?
READING. 'Living Christmas Each Day', Author Unknown - No video available
Round 5. Some Other Lovely Christmas Songs
30. 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas', Judy Garland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreWsnhQwzY
Which 1944 movie did this song feature in?
31. 'I Believe In Father Christmas', Greg Lake - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfY4b1NszpY
What are the three other names commonly used for 'Father Christmas'?
32. 'A Winter's Tale', David Essex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3c18V3ChIs
When is the Winter Solstice (the shortest day)?
33. 'A Spaceman Came Travelling', Chris de Burgh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZg7tvGN9o
What star sign would Jesus have been?
What year did NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) start 'tracking' Santa Claus?
34. 'River', Joni Mitchell -
Which 1971 album, named after a colour or mood, does this song come from?
35. 'Stay Another Day', East 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNhdjoF-6M
'East 17' is a postcode in which city?
36. 'December Will Be Magic Again', Kate Bush - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiadb3bpOI
What was her only number 1 UK hit, about a wild and windy moor?
37. 'Wonderful Christmas', Paul McCartney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ye-3C1FC8
Name as many Christmas drinks as you can?
38. 'It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year', Andy Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvokYRRuaA
* LYRICS *
Complete some of his other song titles:
- 'Moon *****'
- 'Can't Get Used ** ****** ***'
- 'Music To Watch ***** **'
- 'Where Do * *****'
- 'May **** ***'
39. SINGALONG. 'White Christmas', Bing Crosby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZC45Q82pg
Who wrote the songs for the 1954 film 'White Christmas', including this one?
True or False. This is the best selling Christmas single of all time?
40. 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus', The Ronnettes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGQUuyrVBoA
What was Phil Spector's sound known as?
FACTOID. This album was voted the 'Best Christmas Album Of All Time' by 'Rolling Stone' in 2019.
FINAL SINGALONG. TWO CAROLS
'The First Noel', King's College Choir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWFvHVnqXNI * LYRICS *
SINGALONG. 'Silent Night', Winchester Cathedral Choir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoBKXX4wvYk
1. John Lewis / 'Mickey Bubbles'
2. Advent / 'Road To Hell'
3. William Booth / 'Blood And Fire' / Tambourine
4. Norway / Spruce
5. Inuit / Greenland, Alaska and artic Canada / Igloo
6. Twenty-Three - A Partridge, Two Turtle Doves, Three French Hens, Four Calling Birds, Six Geese A Laying & Seven Swans A Swimming
7. Jacob Marley & The Ghosts Of Christmas Past, Present & Yet To Come
8. 'Silent Night' / Stille Nacht
9. "An angel gets his wings." / Clarence Odbody
10. 1980 / 'In The Kitchen'
11. Raymond Briggs / 50
12. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Vixen, Blitzen, Donna & Rudolph
13. Gold, Frankincense & Myrhh
'The Magi Of Bethlehem' were Balthasar of Arabia, Melchior of Persia, and Gaspar of India
14. 6th January
15. 'The Annunciation'
16. Saint Stephen (The first Christian martyr.)
(The Oxford English Dictionary gives the earliest attestations from Britain in the 1830s, defining it as "The first weekday after Christmas day, observed as a holiday on which postmen, errand boys, and servants of various kinds expect to receive a Christmas box".)
17. A Crib
'The Star Of Bethlehem' (Jupiter is also known as 'The Christmas Star', so that works too!)
18. Around 900 million
19. Hugh Grant & Martine McCutcheon
21. 9 Weeks / A rounded hill, summit, or mountain, bare of trees
22. 'New York City Police Department'
23. Oranges, Chocolate Coins, Candy Sticks & Small Toys (‘Legs’ gets a bonus point!) / Noddy Holder
24. Roy Wood
25. Green door
26. 'Nadolig Llawen' & 'Blwyddyn Newydd Dda'
27. Yoko Ono / Vietnam