This bonus round went with the 'True Colours' activities, available below. Click on the image above to download the PowerPoint presentation.
This quiz is a visual recognition and memory recall based activity. But it is also intended to be a fun session, with each slide being paused to promote discussion.
Discuss the use of flags, as national standards, for days of celebration, to signify when HRH Queen Elizabeth is in residence, to mark days of tragedy (flown at half mast), to drape over the coffins of fallen soldiers.
Use the flags to discuss each country/organisation and what they are famous for.
If time, use the flags to focus in on each country's location on a world map.
Maybe use Google Earth to 'visit' tourist attractions in major cities, or talk about the people, cultures and foods of those countries.
Add flags as members think of others, from places visited or countries they originated from.
2. UK (Union Jack)
3. Scotland (Saltire)
4. England (St George's Flag)
5. Cornwall (St Pirran's Flag)
6. Isle Of Man (Manx Flag)
8. Northern Ireland
9. Ireland (Irish Tricolour)
11. France (French Tricolour)
14. USA (Star Spangled Banner or Old Glory)
15. Canada (Royal Union Flag)
17. New Zealand
22. LGBT (Rainbow Flag)
24. Vatican City
25. South Africa
27. United Nations
28. Royal National Lifeboat Institution
29. Jolly Roger
32. Olympic Flag (each colour symbolises a continent)
33. Blue Flag (beaches)
37. White Ensign (British Navy)
41. Royal Standard
42. Wales (Y Draid Goch or Red Dragon)
There are a few red herrings in the PowerPoint, i.e. flags related to organisations. Again, there will be others to add.
Finally, there a few songs associated with flags:
- Star Spangled Banner (USA National Anthem)
- White Flag, Dido
- We'll Keep The Red Flag Flying (Labour Party)
- Blowin' In The Wind, Bob Dylan
- Rule Britannia (Last Night Of The Proms)
- Do You Hear The People Sing (Les Miserables)
- God Save The Queen
- Mae'n Held Wlad Fy Nhadau
Maybe listen to these on Spotify or YouTube.
Can anyone think of any more songs to add?