The Great Pretender
Updated: Jul 18
This week's virtual CST 'Friendship Group' had a theme of 'The Great Pretender'. It looked at actors and musicians who pretend or have pretended to be other people. In other words, celebrities with alter-egos.
After introductions we got straight into the picture and music quiz.
ROUND 1. Men Dressed As Women
1. Name the character from a 1993 comedy movie and the male actor who played her?
Can anyone remember her Christian name?
2. Name the character from a 1982 comedy movie and the male actor who played her?
What was the character's proper name?
3. Name this character and the male celebrity who played her?
Which TV series about animals does he currently host?
4. Name this character and the comedian who played her in his TV comedy series?
What was her catchphrase?
5. Name this character and the comedian who played her in his TV comedy series?
What was her catchphrase?
6. Name this character and the comedian who plays her in his TV comedy series?
What was her Christian name?
7. SONG. 'On Mother Kelly's Doorstep', sung by Danny La Rue. YouTube link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOirOT3cM4
What road was Mother Kelly's doorstep on?
ROUND 2. Superheroes
8. Name the superheroes? What was the character on the left's non superhero name?
Which city did they fight crime in?
9. Name the superhero? What was the character's non superhero name?
Which newspaper did he write for?
10. Name the superhero? What was the character's non superhero name?
Who played him in the 2002 movie?
11. Name the superhero? What was the character's non superhero name?
Who played her in the TV series?
12. Name the superhero? What was the character's non superhero name?
Who played him in the 2011 movie?
13. Name the hero? What was the character's proper name?
Who played him in the 1998 movie? Who was his co-star?
14. SONG. 'Flash Gordon', performed but Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4
Who was his arch enemy?
ROUND 3. Puppeteers
15. Name the puppet and puppeteer?
Who did they assault live on TV in 1976?
16. Name the puppet and puppeteer?
What was the name of the hit single they had in 1983?
17. Name the puppet and puppeteer?
18. Name the puppets and puppeteer?
19. Name the puppet and puppeteer?
Which TV show did they first appear on?
20. Name the puppet and puppeteer?
Name the show they featured on?
21. SONG. 'We All Stand Together', sung by Paul McCartney and The Frog Chorus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMiP90ntZ8
What is the name of the bear pictured in the video?
ROUND 4. Mainly Chat Shows
22. Name the chat show host character and actor?
What TV comedy series did she co-write with Craig Cash?
23. Name the chat show host character and actor?
Who was her bridesmaid and long-time companion?
24. Name the chat show host character and actor?
25. Name the chat show host character and actor?
Which radio station did he also host a chat show on?
What was his catchphrase?
26. Name the interviewer and gorilla, as well as who played the gorilla?
What TV comedy series was this clip from?
Here is the classic comedy clip - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2425461034333084
27. Name the TV comedy duo?
What was their catchphrase?
28. SONG. 'Brass In Pocket', by The Pretenders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Hy7uAb_eU
Who was the lead singer of The Pretenders?
ROUND 5. Films
29. Name this 1982 movie and the actress which played this male performer?
30. Name this 1959 movie and the actress pictured here? Who did she believe the criminal to be?
31. Name this 1998 movie and the actor that played both parts of King Louis XIV?
32. Name the actor which played this role in the 1941 movie?
Who wrote the 1886 novel?
33. Name the 1960 movie? Who played the title role and that of his mother?
34. Name the 1985 movie and who starred in it?
35. 'Babooshka', sung by Kate Bush - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xckBwPdo1c
Which of her albums did this song come from? (She was the first UK female artist to reach number 1 with a self produced, performed and written album with this record.)
36. SONG. 'Pinball Wizard', by The Who - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joxyFDmh_LY
Name the rock opera?
37. SONG. 'Starman', by David Bowie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs
What was the name of his character in this picture?
38. SONG. 'The Great Pretender', by The Platters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfmbXJEBtY
Complete the titles of their 1959 hit - 'Smoke .... .. .... ....'
1. 'Mrs Doubtfire' (Euphegenia)
2. 'Tootsie' (Dorothy Michaels)
3. Lily Savage / Paul O'Grady
'For The Love Of Dogs'
4. Cupid Stunt / Kenny Everett
"It's all done in the best possible taste!"
5. Mandy / Dick Emery
"Oh you are awful, but I like you!"
6. 'Mrs Brown's Boys' (Agnes)
7. Paradise Road
8. 'Batman And Robin' / Bruce Wayne
9. 'Superman' / Clarke Kent
'The Daily Planet'
10. 'Spiderman' / Peter Parker
11. 'Wonder Woman' / Diana Prince
12. 'Captain America' / Steve Rogers
13. 'The Mask Of Zorro' / Don Diego De La Vega
Antonio Banderas & Catherine Zeta-Jones
14. Ming The Merciless
15. Emu / Rod Hull
16. Orville / Keith Harris
'I Wish I Could Fly'
17. Lord Charles / Ray Alan
18. Sooty & Sweep
19. Spit The Dog / Bob Carolgees
20. Kermit The Food / Jim Henson
21. Rupert The Bear
22. Mrs Merton / Caroline Aherne
'The Royale Family'
23. Dame Edna Everage / Barry Humphries
24. Ali G / Sacha Baron Cohen
25. Alan Partridge / Steve Coogan
"Knowing me, knowing you. Aha!"
26. Mel Smith & 'Gerald The Gorilla' (Played by Rowan Atkinson)
'Not The Nine O'Clock News'
27. 'The Krankies'
28. Chrissie Hynde
29. 'Victor Victoria' / Julie Andrews
30. 'Whistle Down The Wind' / Hayley Mills
31. 'The Man In The Iron Mask' / Leonardo De Caprio
32. Spencer Tracy
Robert Louis Stephenson
33. 'Psycho' / Anthony Perkins
34. 'The Mask' / Jim Carey
35. 'Never For Ever'
37. 'Ziggy Stardust'
38. 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'
Please like and share if you and your CST group enjoyed this activity.
Comments and feedback gratefully received.