'National Bow Tie Day' - 28th August
Updated: Sep 1
After introductions, ask members of your CST group:
- 'Who likes wearing a bow tie?'
- 'Who prefers a regular tie, or no tie at all?'
- 'Who would prefer to wear jeans and a t-shirt, versus 'black tie'?
- 'For those who do wear a bow tie, whether regularly or occasionally, is it a proper one or a clip-on?'
- 'What occasions might you wear 'black tie' at?'
- Has anyone still got a tuxedo or a 'posh frock' for a special occasion?
- 'Can anyone think of any other items of neck wear, thinking of ladies as well as gents?'
- 'Who can remember how to tie a bow tie, or a regular tie for that matter?'
Have one on stand by if possible, for members to test their skills with. (There's an instructive video at the end of the page which may help.)
Ask members to complete the following phrases, about things being tied:
- My hands are TIED (no option)
- Tied to your mother's apron STRINGS (a mummy's boy)
- Black TIE (formal dress)
- I could do it with my hands tied BEHIND MY BACK (easy peasy)
- Sever TIES (break bonds)
- Tie yourself in KNOTS (it's complicated)
- Blue collar WORKER (office worker)
- Tie up a few loose ENDS (finish something)
- A chain is only as strong as it's WEAKEST LINK (do people remember the quiz show, hosted by Anne Robinson)
- An Englishman's word is his BOND (you can trust him when he says he will do something)
- At the end of your ROPE (fed up)
- Clothes maketh the MAN (people are judged according to the way they are dressed)
- Fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a BUMPY NIGHT ('All About Eve')
- Money for old ROPE (getting paid for doing very little)
- The ties that BIND (family ties)
- Tongue TIED (too shy or embarrassed to speak)
- All dressed up and nowhere TO GO (plans have been cancelled at the last minute)
- Best bib and TUCKER (best clothes)
- Birthday SUIT (as naked as the day you were born)
- Catch someone with their pants DOWN (catch someone committing a wrong doing)
- Dressed to KILL (stunning outfit)
- I'll eat my HAT ("I don't believe it!" - Victor Meldrew)
- Wear sackcloth and ASHES (as an apology for wrongdoing)
- Dressed up to the NINES
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
* The photo album is linked here, should you wish to print out the pictures for the tables - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HP7wz5sb67RzH7d26 *
1. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete this line from one of his speeches: ”Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed ** ** **** ** ** ***."
2. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name his TV detective series?
3. Who is this bow tie wearer?
He was a TV news presenter with which network?
4. Who is this bow tie wearer?
As well as being a chat show host, what other two things is he famous for?
5. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which TV sci fi role did he play?
6. Who are these bow tie wearers?
What character did they all play?
7. SONG. 'Live And Let Die', Wings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07Z_qfchFk
Who played 007 in 'Live And Let Die'?
8. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which comedian was he married to, until fairly recently?
9. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who was his comedy partner?
10. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Where was he born?
11. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete these film titles:
'The Maltese ******'
'The African *****'
'The Big *****'
12. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which breed of dog was his character associated with?
13. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who was his famous actress aunt?
14. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What was his nickname?
15. SONG. 'My Way', Frank Sinatra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAt5b1I1Gmk
Complete his three UK number one song titles:
'Three Coins In The ********'
'Strangers In The *****'
16. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which 2017 Hollywood movie did he dance in?
17. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name the 1971 movie?
18. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete some of his film titles:
'Love And *****'
'Play It Again ***'
'Hannah And Her *******'
19. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name the football club with which he is most associated?
20. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Where would you find his memorial?
21. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which group was he part of?
22. SONG. 'I've Gotta Be Me', Sammy Davis Jnr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaalq3RYAyw
Complete some of his song titles:
'Me And My *****'
'Talk To The *******'
'Rhythm Of ****'
23. Who are these bow tie wearers?
Name their wives?
24. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Name his top selling movie series?
25. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which war on what did he start where in 2001?
26. Who is this bow tie wearer?
He won a 'Best Supporting Actor' for which 2000 movie - 'The Talented Mr ******'?
27. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Now a famous movie star, which TV series did he start out in?
28. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Who is he secretly in love with?
29. Who is this bow tie wearer?
And his then girlfriend?
Complete some of his movie titles:
'Four Weddings And A *******'
'About A ***'
'Bridget Jones's *****'
30. SONG. 'She', Elvis Costello - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoJsiy26gc
Who recorded this song originally?
31. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete the title of his 1971 autobiography - 'The Moon's A *******'?
32. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Complete some of his film titles:
- 'Sleepless In *******'
- 'Cast ****'
- 'You've Got ****'
- 'Forrest ****'
- 'The Da Vinci ****'
- 'The Green ****'
- 'Apollo **'
- 'Saving Private ****'
33. Who is this bow tie wearer?
How old was he this week?
34. Who is this bow tie wearer?
With which TV presenter is he associated?
35. Who is this bow tie wearer?
With which political debate programme was he associated?
36. Who is this bow tie wearer?
What is his wife's name?
37. Who is this bow tie wearer?
Which 2013 movie is this still taken from - 'The Great ******'?
38. SONG. 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon', Dawn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-RlLFxgCkk
What does an oak tree grow from?
39. SONG. 'Top Hat', Irving Berlin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZOJoV6H2UM
A dance video for members to enjoy! Which type of dance is predominant in this video?
40. SONG. 'Putting On The Ritz', Gene Wilder & 'Young Frankenstein' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7NyKw0VYQ
Which other Mel Brookes movie had cowboys sat around the campfire farting?
41. SONG. 'We Have All The Time In The World', Louis Armstrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxRDTfzgpU
Which 1969 James Bond film used this song as it's theme tune?
42. LAST SONG. LAST DANCE. 'Millennium', Robbie Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk
What band did he used to be in and name the members?
Just for fun, here is an instructive video on how to tie a bow tie -
1. Winston Churchill
”Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by SO MANY TO SO FEW."
2. David Jason
'A TOUCH OF FROST'
3. Trevor McDonald
4. Graham Norton
AUTHOR & VINTNER
5. Matt Smith
6. Sean Connery, Daniel Craig & Pierce Brosnan
JAMES BOND - 007
7. Roger Moore
8. Lenny Henry
9. Stan Laurel
10. Cary Grant
11. Humphry Bogart
'The Maltese FALCON'
'The African QUEEN'
'The Big SLEEP'
12. Charlie Chaplin
13. George Clooney
14. Frank Sinatra
OLD BLUE EYES
15. 'Three Coins In The FOUNTAIN'
'Strangers In The NIGHT'
16. Ryan Gosling
'LA LA LAND'
17. Gene Wilder
'WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY'
18. Woody Allen
'Love And DEATH'
'Play It Again SAM'
'Hannah And Her SISTERS'
19. David Beckham
20. Abraham Lincoln
21. Sammy Davis Jr
'THE RAT PACK'
22. 'Candy MAN'
'Me And My SHADOW'
'Talk To The ANIMALS'
'Rhythm Of LIFE'
23. Prince Charles & Prince Harry
CAMILLA PARKER-BOWLES & MEGHAN MARKLE
24. Keanu Reeves
25. George W Bush
'THE WAR ON TERROR' / AFGHANISTAN
26. Jude Law
'THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY'
27. Will Smith
'THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR'
28. Waylon Smithers
29. Hugh Grant & Liz Hurley
'Four Weddings And A FUNERAL'
'About A BOY'
'Bridget Jones's DIARY'
30. Charles Aznavour
31. David Niven
'THE MOON'S A BALLOON'
32. Tom Hanks
- 'Sleepless In SEATTLE'
- 'Cast AWAY'
- 'You've Got MAIL'
- 'Forrest GUMP'
- 'The Da Vinci CODE'
- 'The Green MILE'
- 'Apollo 13'
- 'Saving Private RYAN'
33. Macaulay Culkin
34. Mr Blobby
35. Robin Day
36. Barack Obama
37. Leonardo De Caprio
'THE GREAT GATSBY'
40. 'BLAZING SADDLES'
41. 'ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE'
42. TAKE THAT - Gary Barlow, Jason Orange, Mark Owen, Howard Donald & Robbie Williams