'National Beach Day' - 30th August
"Wave after wave, each mightier than the last
Till last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
Roaring, and the all the wave was in a flame."
Alfred Lord Tennyson, 1859
We asked members whether they liked visiting the beach and which were their favourite seaside places to visit.
We asked what people would pack in a beach bag if they were to spend the afternoon at the seaside. Here is a list of contents we could think of:
- floppy hat,
- beach towel,
- beach ball,
- bikini or bathers,
- sun cream,
- bottle of water,
- picnic basket, with some sandwiches crisps and an apple
- a beach blanket,
- camping chair or deckchair,
- parasol and windbreak
- snorkel and goggles and flippers,
- music player and earphones,
- insect repellent,
- a bottle of wine,
- maybe a jumper!
We next remembered childhood visits to the seaside. Including:
- Miners week and bus and train visits to Barry Island
- Staying at Butlins
- Visiting the funfair
- How dirty the water used to be!
Next, members completed the following phrases:
Big fish in a small POND
Drink like a FISH
Like a fish out of WATER
A whale of a TIME
The world is your OYSTER
Keep something at BAY
The coast is CLEAR
A drop in the OCEAN
Like a beached WHALE
A loan SHARK
Any port in a STORM
Plenty more fish in the SEA
Tip of the ICEBERG
Turn back the TIDE
Neither fish nor FOWL
Have bigger fish to FRY
Rock the BOAT
Run a tight SHIP
In the DOLDRUMS
Packed in like SARDINES
MUSIC & PICTURE QUIZ
Round 1. Things To Avoid At The Beach
1. DONKEY RIDE
What noise does a donkey make?
(We discussed if it is fair to use donkeys in this way?)
2. PUNCH AND JUDY
Why was this entertainment brought into disrepute?
What is the maximum fixed fine for littering in the UK?
(This Walker's Crisps bag is 30 years old!)
4. DOG POO
Dogs are allowed on most British beaches from when to when?
5. GETTING STUNG BY A JELLYFISH
TRUE or FALSE. You should have someone pee on a jellyfish sting?
6. A SEAGULL DIVE BOMBING YOU
NEAREST GUESS. What is the life expectancy of a seagull?
7. SONG. 'Oh, I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside', Florrie Forde (original lyrics) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLYQ5Nlc-o
Think of some instruments you might find in a Brass Band?
Round 2. Things To Collect At The Beach
Where is the ‘Jurassic Coast’, one of the best places in the UK to collect fossils?
9. SEA GLASS
What is the rarest colour of sea glass?
10. SEA SHELLS
How many legs does a Starfish have?
"She Sells Seashells On The Seashore.
The Shells She Sells Are Surely Seashells.
So, If She Sells Shells On The Seashore,
I'm Sure She Sells Seashore Shells."
11. FLOTSAM & JETSAM
What is the difference between 'Flotsam' and 'Jetsam'?
What is a crab classified as, in terms of species?
(Who likes crab meat?)
13. EDIBLE THINGS SUCH AS SEAFOOD AND SOME SEAWEED
What is a Welsh delicacy made from seaweed?
14. SONG. 'Molly Malone', The Dubliners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAzhNEW7KAI
Name as many shellfish that you would find on a seafood stall as you can?
Which shellfish is said to be an aphrodisiac?
Round 3. Things To Do At The Beach
15. BUILD A SANDCASTLE
Name some UK castles on or near to beaches?
16. GO SWIMMING
How warm is the UK sea in the summer?
What is the 3 word phrase taught to children at a young age to help prevent skin damage from the sun?
18. TAKE IN THE VIEW
What is the view from Cold Knap, Barry?
The nuclear power station we can see is?
19. HAVE A DRINK OR PICNIC
True or false. Bees die after stinging you, wasps survive?
20. GO FOR A WALK ON THE SEASHORE
TRUE OR FALSE. You are only 75 miles away from the sea at any point in the UK?
21. SONG. 'Stranger On The Shore', Acker Bilk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEr4CCtllA
What instrument was Acker playing in this classic instrumental?
Can anyone play a musical instrument?
Round 4. Things To Eat At The Beach
22. STICK OF ROCK
The traditional flavour of a stick of rock is what?
23. CANDY FLOSS
What do they call Candy Floss in the USA?
How many calories are in a large portion of chip shop chips?
25. ICE CREAM
What is the UK's favourite ice cream flavour?
What are members favourites?
With which UK county is the Pasty traditionally associated with?
Where did the Hot Dog originate?
28. SONG. 'Beyond The Sea', Bobby Darrin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FctOgNoPiU
Can anyone name any seas or oceans in the world?
Which of these is the sea which you can float in, due to high salt content?
Round 5. Famous Beaches
Which character used to say "Book 'Em Danno" in 'Hawaii Five 0'?
Where would you find Bondi beach?
Which TV reality series goes to Blackpool Tower Ball Room for one episode?
32. BARRY ISLAND
Which TV comedy series was filmed here?
Where would you find the Copacabana?
Where would you find the UK's most famous surfing beach?
35. MAYA BAY PHI PHI ISLANDS
Which 2000 film starring Leonardo De Caprio was filmed here?
36. SONG. 'Surfing' USA', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbs1luUIxCE
What do surfers usually wear?
Who was the leader of 'The Beach Boys'?
37. SONG. 'The Dock Of The Bay', Otis Reading - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwL8dKl2MU
Towards the end of the song there is a whistled section. Ask members to whistle along and see who has the best whistle.
What was Cardiff Bay formally known as?
Who is known as 'The Girl From Tiger Bay'?
38. SONG. 'Tide Is High', Blondie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocN48PbfYnw
Where in the UK would you find the UK's largest and the world’s second largest tidal range?
Who is the lead singer with Blondie?
39. SONG. 'Under The Boardwalk', The Drifters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHtUxS1K7Xs
What is the UK's longest pier?
Can anyone name any famous piers?
40. EXTRA SONG. 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI31cL4K4dQ
Ask members what would be.a nice day out tomorrow?
41. EXTRA SONG. 'Good Vibrations', The Beach Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0yoiBYbT2I
Ask members to name some traditional fun fair rides?
1. IT BRAYS OR HEE-HAWS
2. BECAUSE IT PORTRAYED DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
(If not paid within 14 days you can be taken by the Council to Court and the fine increases to £2,500)
4. 1ST OCTOBER - 30TH APRIL
5. FALSE. It can make it worse, and you end up smelling of pee and feeling very embarrassed!
6. 10 TO 15 YEARS
7. SPORANO CORNET, CORNET, FLUGEL HORN, TENOR HORN, BARITONE HORN, TENOR TROMBONE, BASS TROMBONE, EUPHONIUM, TUBAS, PERCUSSION
8. EAST DEVON TO DORSET
9. ORANGE, FOLLOWED BY TURQUOISE, RED AND YELLOW (as so little coloured glass was made)
10. MOST SPECIES HAVE 5
11. BOTH ARE MARINE DEBRIS. FLOTSAM COMES FROM THE WORD 'FLOAT' AND USUALLY RESULTS FROM A SHIPWRECK; JETSAM COMES FROM THE WORD 'JETTISON' AND IS WASTE DELIBERATELY DISCARDED AT SEA
14. COCKLES, MUSSELS, CRAB, PRAWN, SHRIMP, WHELKS, LOBSTER, CLAMS, SCALLOPS, OYSTER
15. BAMBURGH, TINTAGEL, DUNSTANBURGH, ST MICHAELS MOUNT, CAERNARVON, DOVER ETC
16. USUALLY UP TO 18C
17. SLIP, SLAP, SLOP (Slip - on a shirt, Slop - on factor 50+ sunscreen, Slop - on a hat)
18. NORTH DEVON COAST
19. SORT OF TRUE - ONLY HONEY BEES DIE AFTER STINGING
21. THE CLARINET
22. PEPPERMINT OR SPEARMINT
23. COTTON CANDY
25. VANILLA 84% (followed by mint choc chip 18%)
26. CORNWALL (Since 2011 the Cornish pasty has Protected Geographical Indication Status in the EU)
27. CONEY ISLAND, NEW YORK
Around 1870, a German immigrant by the name of Charles Feltman opened the first hot dog stand on Coney Island.
28. ATLANTIC, PACIFIC, MEDITERRANEAN, INDIAN, IRISH, NORTH, RED, DEAD
29. STEVE MCGARRETT
30. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
31. 'STRICTLY COME DANCING'
32. 'GAVIN AND STACEY'
33. RIO DE JANEIRO
34. NEWQUAY, CORNWALL
35. 'THE BEACH'
36. A WETSUIT
37. TIGER BAY (BECAUSE OF FIERCE CURRENTS OFF THE COAST)
38. SHIRLEY BASSEY
39. SEVERN ESTUARY (15 METRES / 49 FEET AT ITS PEAK)
40. DEBBIE HARRY
BLACKPOOL, BRIGHTON, WESTON-SUPER-MARE, CROMER, SWANAGE, BOURNEMOUTH, PENARTH, CLEVEDON
42. DODGEMS, LOG FLUME, ROLLER COASTER, CAROUSEL, HELTER SKELTER, FERRIS WHEEL ETC
Bring in some sand, seashells, feathers and anything else you can find for members to make a seaside collage. On it, ask them to write messages about why they like the beach.
Play some relaxing sounds of waves and seabirds whilst doing this.
Alternatively, paint pebbles for members to take home.
Suggestion for for refreshments ... Fish and Chips, of course!