Eurovision Song Contest
Whilst the 'Eurovision Song Contest' is not taking place this year, because of Covid-19, I thought it would be fun to provide a picture quiz based CST activity page by way of celebrating what would have been on May 16th.
To begin with, ask members to complete these following well known phrases:
Dutch TREAT OR COURAGE
French LETTER OR CONNECTION
Welsh DRAGON OR RAREBIT OR LAMB
Luck of the IRISH
Scotch MIST OR EGG
The rain in Spain stays MAINLY ON THE PLAIN
Swiss ARMY KNIFE OR ROLL
Turkish BATHS OR DELIGHT
E viva ESPANA
Holland - AISE SAUCE OR AND BARRETT
It's all GREEK to me
When in ROME ... Do as Romans do
Talk for ENGLAND
Allow plenty of time for chats, reminiscences, story telling and singalongs.
Here goes. The answers are at the end.
1. How many years consecutively did Terry Wogan host the 'Eurovision Song Contest' for?
2. Graham Norton hosts it now. What TV comedy series did he first appear on our screens in?
3. Who is this? She used to announce the British vote.
4. Why does Israel take part in the contest?
5. What was the first year Australia took part?
6. Which song did Lulu win with and in what year?
Here's a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew43u2gS0Y
7. Name any of the 8 countries, aside from the UK, which did not join the Euro?
8. How many member states are there?
9. How much money per week did Boris Johnson promise the NHS would get as a result of Brexit?
10. What was the year that Ted Heath took us into the European Union?
11. What is the name of this group and with which song did they win in 1981?
Bonus question: What are the ingredients of a cocktail with this name?
Here's a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4-lKMGII_k
12. If you were to travel to Europe by train, which London station would you depart from?
13. How wide is the English Channel, at its narrowest point?
14. What is the largest city in Europe (not necessarily the EU) by population within city limits?
15. What is the name of this performance, which was given during the intermission of the 1994 show in Dublin?
16. Who is this and which song did she win with in 1967?
Here is a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SreSj3j47GI
17. What are the French names for these dishes of frogs legs and snails?
18. What is the name of this Greek cheese?
19. What is the national drink of Portugal?
20. What is the proper name for this Nordic smoked and cured salmon?
21. Which company is the leading chocolatier in Switzerland?
22. What is the name of this group and with which song did they win in 1976?
Here is a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9FzkrJYU6s
23. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
24. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
25. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
26. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
27. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
28. Name this landmark and in which city would you find it?
29. Who is this and with which song did she win the competition for Ireland in 1970?
Here is a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmnd3uiK_Y
30. What is this performer's name? They won Eurovision in 2014 with which song about a bird?
31. Cliff Richard came 2nd in the contest in 1968 with which song? He also performed again in 1973 (3rd place), which which song?
32. Who last won the contest for the UK in 1997 and with which song?
33. This chap is the only performer to win the contest twice, in 1980 & 1987. Name him and either of the songs?
34. And finally, i. What is the name of this group? ii. What are the names of the four of them? iii. With which song did they win? iv. In which year? and v. For which country?
Here is a link to that song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsVeMz1F5c
1. 46 years. 1961-2007
2. 'Father Ted'
3. Katie Boyle
4. Because Israel 'Broadcasting Authority' is part of the 'European Broadcasting Union' (for some reason?)
5. Since 2015, when it was invited to take part in the 60th anniversary contest
6. 'Boom Bang A Bang', 1969
7. Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania & Sweden
8. There are 28 member states
9. £350m a week to the NHS was promised on the 'Brexit Bus'
10. 22nd January 1972
11. 'Making Your Mind Up', Bucks Fizz
Champagne and orange juice
12. St Pancras Station
13. 21 miles
14. Moscow - 17.9m, Istanbul - 14.8m then London - 8.67m
15. 'Riverdance', starring Jean Butler & Michael Flatley
16. 'Puppet On A String', Sandy Shaw
17. Cuisses de grenouille & L'escargot
18. Feta cheese
22. 'Save All Your Kisses For Me', Brotherhood Of Man
23. Colosseum - Rome
24. Eiffel Tower - Paris
25. La Sagrada Familia Basilica - Barcelona
26. Parthenon - Athens
27. Brandenburg Gate - Berlin
28. Saint Basil's Cathedral - Moscow
29. 'All Kinds Of Everything', Dana
30. 'Rise Like A Phoenix', Conchita Wurst
31. 'Congratulations' (he lost to Spain by one point!) & 'Power To All Our Friends'
32. 'Love Shine A Light', Katrina And The Waves
33. Johnny Logan - 'Whats Another Year' & 'Hold Me Now'
34. ABBA - Benny Andersson, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Agnetha Fältskog & Björn Ulvaeus - 'Waterloo' in 1974
Maybe hold back on the songs for a 'Eurovision Party' and singalong. Print out lyric sheets as necessary. Make some flags to wave.
Most of all, have fun.