'I Am Team GB Day' - 15th August
It is ‘I Am Team GB Day’ on 15th August, so today's virtual 'CST Friendship Group' was about 'Classic Sporting Moments'.
In 2020, 'I Am Team GB', presented by Toyota, is keeping the nation moving with Team GB athletes setting fun, physical challenges for everyone. Here is a link to the website explaining what this day is all about - https://www.iamteamgb.com/areyou
We asked members to come to the group with a picture of their sporting hero. We then discussed which sports people most enjoyed and if anyone played sports competitively during their lifetime.
We then moved on to our picture and music quiz.
ROUND 1. CRIMES & MISDEMEANOURS
1. Who had a 'Hand Of God' moment in the 1986 FIFA World Cup quarter final match between Argentina and England?
2. Who tripped up who in the 3000m final in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics?
3. Which 'Bladerunner' is in prison after being found guilty of killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day in 2013?
4. Who said in 1981, "You cannot be serious?", during his first round Wimbledon match with Tom Gullikson?
5. Which American football player was sent to prison for 33 years in 2008 for murdering his ex-wife and her partner?
6. Which former champion jockey went to prison for 3 years in 1987 for tax evasion?
7. Which horse racing pundit infamously picked his nose on live TV in 'Big Brother' in 2010?
8. SONG. 'Magic Moments', Perry Como - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjiQYC5oEw
Which tin of sweets was this song used to advertise?
ROUND 2. GOLDEN MOMENTS
9. In the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo 1984, which piece of music did Jane Torville and Christopher Dean ice dance to, winning gold for their efforts?
10. Which Britain won the Wimbledon Championship in 2013 (for the first time in 77 years)?
11. Who captained the England team when it won the 1966 FIFA World Cup, defeating West Germany 4-2?
12. In the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000, which British rower became the first person to win gold in five consecutive Olympics?
13. Who is the most successful Olympian ever, winning 22 medals (including 18 gold) over three games? (He was an American swimmer.)
14. Which British athlete won gold in the Heptathlon in the 2012 London Olympics?
What are the seven events in the Heptathlon?
16. SONG. 'Simply The Best', Tina Turner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM
Ask members what they are 'Simply The Best' at?
What was Tina Turner's name originally?
ROUND 3. CATCHPHRASES
17. Which boxer's catchphrase was "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!"
What was his name before becoming a Muslim?
18. Which Welsh rugby commentator's catchphrase was "And it's an up and under!"?
19. Which footballer started his advertising career with the catchphrase "Don't you insist on Walker's Crisps?"?
20. Which boxer's catchphrase was "Know what I mean 'Arry?"?
21. Which boxer advertised Brut with his catchphrase "Splash it all over!"?
(Does anyone still like the great smell of 'Brut'?)
22. With which British athlete was the phrase 'The Four Minute Mile' associated with?
(He broke it in 1954!)
23. Which snooker player had the nickname 'Interesting'?
24. SONG. 'We Are The Champions', Queen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXw8CRapg7k
What was Freddie Mercury's original name?
Where was he from?
ROUND 4. TRADEMARKS
25. Which England manager brought the waistcoat back into fashion in the 2018 FIFA World Cup?
26. Which British ski jumper flapped his arms like a bird in the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics?
27. Which British athlete was famous for his 'lunch box'?
28. Which British athlete, originally from Mogadishu, is famous for his 'Mobot'?
29. Which team does Lewis Hamilton drive for?
(What a waste of champagne!)
30. Who is the fastest man on the planet, seen here celebrating with his 'Lightning' pose?
31. Who opened the 2012 London Olympic Games by parachuting into the stadium?
What alcoholic beverage does James Bond like?
32. SONG. 'You'll Never Walk Alone', Gerry And The Pacemaker's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKJnO7GEj4
Which city is this song associated with?
Which musical is it from?
ROUND 5. LOVED UP
Name these sports stars and their spouses ...
40. SONG. 'Gold', Spandau Ballet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc
If you take part in a sporting challenge or competition, what things might you be given?
41. SONG. 'Physical', Olivia Newton-John - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgWk979eGY
Ask members to get up and get physical, dancing along and doing some of the moves...
1. Diego Maradonna
2. Zola Budd & Mary Decker
3. Oscar Pistorius
4. John McEnroe
5. O.J. Simpson
6. Lester Piggott
7. John McKirrick
8. Quality Street
9. Ravel's Bolero
10. Andy Murray
11. Bobby Moore
12. Steve Redgrave
13. Michael Phelps
14. Jessica Ennis-Hill
- 100 metres hurdles
- High jump
- Shot put
- 200 metres
- Long jump
- Javelin throw
- 800 metres
15. Colin Jackson
16. Anna Mae Bullock
17. Muhammad Ali
18. Eddie Waring
19. Gary Lineker
20. Frank Bruno
21. Henry Cooper
22. Roger Bannister
23. Steve Davies
24. Farok Bulsara
25. Gareth Southgate
26. Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards
27. Linford Christie
28. Mo Farrah
29. Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
30. Usain Bolt (He ran 100m in 9.58 seconds in the 2009 World Championships)
31. HRH Queen Elizabeth 11
33. David Beckham (Manchester United) & Victoria Adams (Spice Girls) Aka Posh & Becks 34. Mike Tindall (England Rugby) & Zara Philips (Princess Anne's Daughter) 35. Shane Warne (Australian Cricket) & Liz Hurley (Actress) 36. Tom Daley (Olympic Diver) & Lance Black (Film Director) 37. Clare Balding (Tv Sports Presenter) & Alice Arnold (Journalist And Broadcaster) 38. Andre Agassi & Steffi Graf (Former Championship Tennis Players) 39. Jamie Redknapp (Footballer) & Louise Redknapp (Eternal) (I think they have split, but remain good friends)
40. Bronze, Silver & Gold Medals, Trophy, Cash prize, Wooden Spoon